Sunshine House Early Learning Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Wes Wooten

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • No weekends , usually off work by 7 pm (in 3 reviews)

• Enjoyed working and teaching children (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Their was a HUGE lack of communication between management and staff and even between management themselves (in 3 reviews)

• Low pay, continued reduction of benefits, overworked employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Horrible!!! Stay away!!!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Travelers Rest, SC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Travelers Rest, SC

I worked at Sunshine House Early Learning Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

consistent Monday to Friday schedule, no weekends

Cons

I worked at the Travelers Rest location before quitting. We were constantly breaking the law and understaffed. Sometimes workers would have 12 babies -- WAY over state law (and SC law is already incredibly lenient). There was constantly "shuffling" of the kids from classroom to classroom in a futile attempt to correct being out of ratio, which is illegal and meant that kids of different age groups (e.g., babies and toddlers) were together.

There was a woman working there who yelled at the kids and had clearly severe mental health issues but was not fired because they didn't want to lose a worker. Management would constantly lie and say they were interviewing/hiring new people, but they never did. Probably to increase profits, because it's cheaper to work your existing workers to death and break the law than hire more people. On one occasion corporate people came in to help with the kids while wearing their office attire (including one woman in thigh high, high-heeled boots, who clearly knew nothing about kids).

It's called an "early learning academy" (ooooh-la-la, how fancy!) and markets itself as a preschool to potential parents/customers. We were required to show them a curriculum, but the secret was that we never did anything on the curriculum or academic at all due to being perpetually understaffed. All we did all day was change diapers/feed them/supervise free play/nap time. It's a DAYCARE, not a preschool. We were referred to as "teachers", which is a joke.

Most people working there have no other options because they only made it through high school. You get paid barely above minimum wage. I made $9/hr only because I had a bachelors degree.

We were not allowed to do time-outs or even tell the children "no". One child bit other kids every day but was never removed. Very little room for advancement. Management would lie to employees constantly, hinting that certain trainings (paying $7.25/hour and a 1.5 hours' drive away) were mandatory when they weren't because management would receive a bonus based on how many employees attended the trainings.

A favorite employee of management actually put the children in grave danger at one point and flouted the rules but never got in any kind of trouble.

The food given to the kids was absolute slop.

It is against state law to clean the rooms with the kids still there (because of spraying cleansers, vacuuming, mopping, etc.--it's dangerous) and yet we did that every day because the company's greed will not allow them to pay us an extra 15 minutes to stay after the kids are gone to clean or to hire an outside cleaning service to come in. Everybody working there (even those whose heart was in it and who have a true love for children) were miserable.

You have been warned.

Advice to Management

Stop being greedy. Care about kids and employees over corporate profit or get into a less people-centered line of work.

2. "Bare Bones Daycare"

Former Employee - After School Teacher in Woodstock, GA
    Former Employee - After School Teacher in Woodstock, GA

I worked at Sunshine House Early Learning Academy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time goes by Fast
    Working with children

Cons

They work the place on the minimum amount of staff possible.

Advice to Management

Have someone extra on hand to help when a class is out of hand.

Aug 3, 2017 – Director of Recruiting & Employee Relations

We’re sorry to hear you had a 2-star experience working in our afterschool classroom. We wish you the best in your future endeavors!

3. "Lots of changes happening here"

Former Employee - GA Pre-K Teacher
    Former Employee - GA Pre-K Teacher

I worked at Sunshine House Early Learning Academy (More than 8 years)

Pros

I truly enjoyed working with the students and co-workers.

Cons

Management turnover was extreme.

Advice to Management

Hire center directors that have backgrounds in Education & Management. Several of the directors that I worked with did not have classroom experience.

Jul 28, 2017 – Director of Recruiting & Employee Relations

Thank you for your feedback. And thank you for more than 8 years of service to our students and families in Georgia. It is wonderful to have the opportunity to work for directors with the perfect... More

4. "Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Sunshine House Early Learning Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During school year you are guaranteed hours

Cons

Summer months hours are cut and pay is low

Jul 28, 2017 – Director of Recruiting & Employee Relations

Thank you for your feedback! Some classrooms have lower enrollment in the summer, and some classrooms have more! If you are looking for additional hours, please talk to your director or regional... More

5. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Regional Director of Operations in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Regional Director of Operations in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Sunshine House Early Learning Academy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked with The Sunshine House for 13 years. I have immensely experienced career advancement and growth opportunities within the company. The family environment and supportive culture ensures your success in the workplace. I have grown professionally and personally at The Sunshine House. The culture has helped me flourish, thrive, and develop in unimaginable ways. I am proud to be a part of The Sunshine House family.

Cons

None - grateful to be apart of such an awesome company!

Advice to Management

Thank YOU!

6. "A great place to be"

Current Employee - Center Director in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Center Director in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Sunshine House Early Learning Academy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company! It is filled with wonderful, helpful, and nurturing people. I am so happy to be a part of this family.

Cons

The industry itself is demanding so it is hard to keep a consistent work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Stick to your gut! You got this! And the great thing about working for The Sunshine House is on the days you don't have it all together you can pick up the phone and call another director to help you. Teamwork makes the dream work

7. "Education"

I have been working at Sunshine House Early Learning Academy full-time

Pros

Great co workers
    Interaction with children every day
    No weekends
    Good work hours
    Competitive pay

Cons

More time needed to work with staff to support professional development and growth

8. "GA Lottery Pre-K"

Former Employee - Pre-k Lead Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pre-k Lead Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sunshine House Early Learning Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was wonderful watching children grow throughout the year. I had freedom to make lesson plans and teach as needed to be successful.

Cons

Constantly out of ratio. Management play games like hiding your computer to make you think it was stolen. Some employees are allowed to come and go from the classroom at any time even if it is out of ratio. Center was very dirty. I came in and worked off the clock before and after my shift to clean common areas of the center.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable to their schedules, being in the classroom, and helping to keep center clean.

Jul 17, 2017 – Director of Recruiting & Employee Relations

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience working as a GA Lottery Pre-K teacher in Atlanta. We appreciate your contributions and your feedback. Please feel free to email... More

9. "Working at the Sunshine House"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Greenville, SC

I worked at Sunshine House Early Learning Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the children, parents and teachers.

Cons

Employees are over-worked and underpaid. A lot of underhandedness, a lot of gossip, management has no experience and not qualified to manage. Lack of communication. Changing rules to suit situations. Will only handle an issue if there is a violation. Extremely high turnover rate (20 teachers came and went in 6 months).

Advice to Management

Employees in management positions should have more experience and education. Six months to a year as a teacher does not qualify someone to be a director.

Jul 17, 2017 – Director of Recruiting & Employee Relations

I am sorry to hear about the experience you had as an Assistant Director in Greenville, and I understand your frustrations. Your feedback is appreciated and can hopefully help us make improvements... More

10. "High- Fives and Hugs Everyday!"

Current Employee - Center Director
    Current Employee - Center Director

Pros

Children, Families, Co-workers, laughter, culture, team-work and encouragement every day. Our center is a family where you will never feel like the "new kid" for very long. High expectations for quality as it should be for a NAEYC Accredited center.

Cons

Finding qualified staff is an ongoing community issue. Long wait lists for new families, finding work-life balance is sometimes challenging.

Advice to Management

You hear our concerns and address them appropriately. Thank you for providing us with a support team that is accessible and for being approachable.

Jul 17, 2017 – Director of Recruiting & Employee Relations

Our goal is for all directors and teachers to receive high fives and hugs every day! -Jennifer Brown, Employee Relations