Sunstone Hotel Investors Reviews | Glassdoor

Sunstone Hotel Investors Reviews

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ken Cruse

1. "I worked at Sunstone Hotel Investors full-time"

Pros

Salary, bonus & Stock.
    Everyone is friendly and always willing to help.

Cons

There really is no cons except no room for advancement.

2. "Great company loved working there"

I worked at Sunstone Hotel Investors full-time

Pros

Salary, bonus & Stock.
    Staff is professional and great to work with

Cons

No room for advancement.

"Difficult times at a REIT"

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sunstone Hotel Investors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice properties in the portfolio, Managerial bonuses were good. More recently the company has focused on shedding assets to manage a smaller portfolio of properties.

Cons

I worked for a property the REIT owned/managed, and while SOX compliance kept an invisible wall between the operator (at the time, Sunstone Hotel Properties) and the REIT (Sunstone Hotel Investors), there was a clear attitude that the value of the property the asset was on was paramount to employee or guest satisfaction.

It was a very difficult time to be in hotels and SHI didn't fare any better--surrendering keys to its more heavily financed properties, and dissolving the management company to reduce employee headcount. (It was particularly tactless when flash-animated cards were sent to all associates with the names of their colleagues at the headquarters office who were let go due to staffing reductions--the entire office's closure was heralded by two of these e-cards).

While I likely felt more direct effects of decisions implemented by the managers of the operator, there was a clear message that the values and pressure were applied by SHI, and the operator was merely the tool to implement the vision they had.

Advice to Management

Learn from circa-2008 mistakes and make shrewd real-estate investments, not risky ones. Don't let the value of the land/building be the only factor when asking the operator to make decisions or capital investment--a successful business is worth more than a building and land. (If you do this, the satisfaction of guests/employees will take care of itself.)

"Penny-wise and Pound Foolish"

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sunstone Hotel Investors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Properties had autonomy over day-to-day operations.
    -Line level employees were treated well when supportive local management was employed.
    -Good bonus scheme for management.
    -Benefits package was standard to the industry and local property was able to supplement benefits to keep employees happy.
    -Property was union-free, allowing 1 on 1 interaction with groups of employees.
    -After I left, a new managment company took over to turn the business around, after it got too much to tolerate.

Cons

-When contractors were hired by the corporate office to complete projects, they were often unprofessional and didn't have a specific scope of work to be held to.
    -Capital expenses were rarely (if ever) granted, resulting in a very run-down property that often failed franchisor inspections due to physical plant issues.
    -Management was only encouraged to save money while sales was pushed to drive occupancy; because of this service suffered--much of the profit was returned to dissatisfied guests as a refund.
    -Management positions were halved to promote savings while remaining managers were often expected to work "with" their employees because hourly labor was cut too.
    -There was no work-life balance, "such a thing doesn't exist in the hospitality industry" was something my supervisor often said.
    -Managers were often set to tasks that could easily be completed by extra hourly labor--but since managers were salaried, they were required to stay.

Advice to Management

I'm glad the management contract for this property wasn't continued and Sunstone's Management business was absorbed by IHR. The revenue promises Sunstone makes to stakeholders are unrealistic to running a hotel property.

"They pass up employees with more skill and desire"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

I felt appreciated as an employee. Upper management frequently prasied my hard work and I felt like I was a valued team member for the most part. I liked that we got reviews on time when we were due for them and felt that the raises they gave were appropriate.

Cons

While they say they believe in promoting from within the company, they screwed me over more than once for a position that I was well qualified for. They let the employee who was leaving change their mind and comeback and no one told me about this until 4 weeks later, when I had already heard just through gossip. This employee was eventually fired, by the way...

Advice to Management

Promote from within and foster a learning environment for people who want to grow within the industry!