Super English Language School Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nothing but Super!"

Former Employee - English/Math/Science Teacher
    Former Employee - English/Math/Science Teacher

I worked at Super English Language School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I will always cherish my time teaching in Surat Thani with Super English and have so many happy memories from my 1.5 years doing so. Choosing to move across the world to Thailand was the best decision I ever made, thanks to Peter and the rest of the Super English staff. Moving to a brand new country and learning the ins and outs of a different culture can be scary. It was reassuring to know that I could count on Peter and my fellow teachers for any help I needed - both in and outside of the classroom. Super English did everything to make sure my experience teaching in Surat was nothing but great from the second I stepped off the plane and was greeted by a friendly face, to our very last staff dinner, and everything in between.

My favorite part about my time spent in Surat Thani was definitely my students. I was genuinely excited to go to work every morning (a sentence I never thought I would type!) I was amazed at how quickly my students' English improved over the year and how much they looked forward to learning every day. They made me fall in love with teaching. Leaving Surat was a very difficult decision to make, but I still get cute emails from my kiddos today and miss them loads!

If you're looking for a company that will have your back while teaching in Thailand, and also let you learn and grow as a teacher independently, I would definitely recommend working with Super English!

Cons

If you want to teach in Thailand, you definitely need to be flexible and a go-with-the-flow kind of person. The only con I have about teaching in Surat Thani has nothing to do with Super English itself, and more so with Thai schools in general. Decisions about events and holidays can be made last minute, which might take some getting used to, however; everything works out in the end - you just need to be patient!

2. "Teacher"

I worked at Super English Language School full-time

Pros

-Awesome group of teachers to work with everyday
    -Supportive management team; I felt listened to and supported by my two managers
    -Lovely Thai co-teachers who were warm and helpful
    -Heaps of resources-books, work sheets, lesson plans from previous years, along with advice and help from the other teachers
    -Family style dinners with the Super English team around the holidays
    -Paid Christmas holiday (over ten days)
    -Very open/comfortable environment; I could go to Peter or Jeab with any concern and felt very supported. Any action taken was done with thought and intention on their part
    -Easy visa process (everything is pretty much done for you, other than physically checking in at immigration)
    -Very legitimate and secure job (this is not the case with a lot of schools and companies)
    -Everyday was fun, even on hard days. Thai children are pure joy.

Cons

The cons really have little to do with Super English; more so with cultural differences and approaches to education in Thailand. Miscommunication and basic language barriers made the job difficult at times, however this is bound to happen when you are teaching English in Thailand and aren't fluent in Thai.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

3. "A Super Experience!"

I have been working at Super English Language School full-time

Pros

I've been working with Super English and Peter for four years and am going on my fifth. I've found Super to be a working environment and has allowed me to grow as a person and a teacher during my time here. I really enjoy how I'm afforded the luxury to conduct my class the way I see fit. We all have different personalities, which in turn leads to different teaching styles. I've been empowered to structure my lessons, games, activities, rewards, etc. as I see fit without answering questions. I'm the CEO of my classroom. Working with Thai staff can be a tricky card to deal with, but I have been supported and encouraged to make the decisions I feel best not only for my students but for my staff and the overall Super English culture. We had ample resources and support throughout the whole year, which enabled me to focus on my teaching and lessons. Peter's been very proactive and allowing when it comes to things like staff leaving a little early on a Friday for an away trip or needing to return home for a family event. That made me and our staff feel valued and I personally appreciated that understanding. During my time here, I've seen a ton of teachers come and go, but we've had a ton of multi-yeared teachers stay with Super English for two, three, or even four years. I think that in itself says volume about the company, its support, and ability to identify great people. The Thai administrative staff at Super has been tremendous as well, assisiting us with our work permits, helping us with our visa extensions, and coordinating things to make our lives easier. If any prospective teacher is thinking about coming to Surat Thani to teach, I highly recommend Super English! You'll have no regrets!

Cons

The only cons I can think of are things out of Super English's control. Obviously, things change left and right, which creates communication issues. Of course, that has more to do with the cultural differences than anything, but I've been proud to work with such a great organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the nice work and continue looking for passionate teachers who put the children first!

4. "Super Experience!"

I worked at Super English Language School full-time

Pros

I spent two incredible years working for Super English in Surat Thani and I loved every joyful, challenging and wonderful moment of it. Everything for both my visa and contract were taken care of by Super English before I had even left the UK. Knowing that I would be collected from the airport and dropped off at the new teachers' accommodation was extremely reassuring. The company couldn't have done more to make my transition into Thai life any smoother.

In fact the admin staff were always on hand to answer any questions I had and were always ready to assist with 90 day check-ins and visa renewals. Having spoken to many other teachers working for other companies in Thailand I learned just how unique this level of care and support is. I can't thank the staff enough.

A nurturing environment was also fostered amongst our peers. We were encouraged to share resources and freely communicate our successes and failures in order to inspire others and develop our teaching practice. The Super English monthly get togethers were also a great opportunity to relax and have fun with the team.

The students were adorable, bright and keen to have fun and learn. My Thai co-teachers were kind, caring and supportive. Super English was a fantastic company to work for, I highly recommend them!

Cons

Class sizes can be very large so it can get quite tricky maneuvering around your classroom at times, but this is pretty standard for Thailand. On occasions the Thai school arranged events and informed us of them at the last minute. Just be prepared to always go with the flow and don't take timetable disruptions personally.

"A Super Opportunity"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Super English Language School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked as a teacher with Super English for two academic years and plan on continuing for a third. It has been an abundantly rewarding experience.

- Management, for me, is one of the biggest pros about SE. From the job offer to handling the sometimes-tricky visa process to teacher training and beyond Peter has always been available, supportive, and more than happy to answer any questions or concerns quickly. He has consistently demonstrated he is accommodating with any bumps that may arise be it in Thailand or at home.
    - The community of teachers at SE is a joy and entertaining to work with. It's easy to see they love their job and are having fun doing it. And that is infectious.
    - The freedom granted to me in how I teach my class is invaluable. I create the lesson and the quizzes/exams. There are a lot of science projects. The kids love them.
    - Paperwork is minimal (a set of monthly reports covering in bullet format what was taught for each subject and a run down of vocabulary words). This allows for more time to concentrate on grading and lessons.
    - The students are awesome, goofy, kind, helpful, characters, jokesters, inquisitive, and mischievous. This makes it not only a new adventure daily with my kiddos but it's hard for me to consider this "work" in the traditional sense when I get to walk into my class and have fun with them as well.

Cons

As to not leave the cons section blank my only comment would be sometimes it is tricky to know exactly what is going on in terms of school assemblies, national holidays, or changes to schedules. This has nothing to do with SE but rather just the way schools in Thailand operate. And it is not so much a con but rather a more interesting aspect of teaching here. Think of it as a way to keep you on your toes.

6. "English Teacher"

Former Employee - English Teacher in A Coruña (Spain)
    Former Employee - English Teacher in A Coruña (Spain)

I worked at Super English Language School part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

authorized School of English which prepares students for official exams such as Trinity and Cambridge from A1 to C1 level.

Cons

The fact that there was no coursebook to follow, only handouts you had to prepare and hand in every day. I find this time consuming, although as a teacher it gives you a wider area of materials you can chose from according to each level and age group, without any other restrictions whatsoever.

Advice to Management

No negative feedback. Keep up the good work.

Super English Language School Response

May 21, 2017 – Owner, Founder & Director

We appreciate the positive 5 star review but I don't think this poster is talking about us. First, we don't have any part-time employees. Certainly not any that we employed for three years. We... More

"Teaching with Freedom"

I worked at Super English Language School full-time

Pros

This was the first teaching job I'd ever had and I was nervous...a little. My mother is a teacher in America and never ceases complaining about the miles of red tape and administrators breathing down her neck. I'd always wanted to teach, but always feared this type of management. THANKFULLY Super English is not like this at all and if you teach here, you will live or die depending on how much you want to succeed. It's up to you. For those who cleave to the ideals of self reliance - this is a great job. They're is little to no oversize of your day to day job in the classroom, so it's up to you to blow the kids away, or bore them to tears. You can complain or rise to the challenge. It's hard to blame problems on anyone here unless you are causing them, because Super English goes through painstaking efforts to train you as much as humanly possible regarding all of the eccentricities involving the "Thai Way". This is before you eventually go in and teach, so very helpful. If you want to teach in your own individual style, and avoid the trappings of buerocratic nonsense in your work, then apply dear reader. You have as many recourses as you possibly can, the kids are wonderful, you can be as creative as possible...I've had a wonderful experience here. Sad to leave.

Cons

The paid sick leave should be extended from 2 days to at least 5 per semester. I say this because most of the other schools in town give 10 days. Additionally - in my experience (and I imagine for others), moving to this part of the world does strange unexpected things to your body as your exposed to ailments that don't exist in your home country. I got VERY sick (mind you - I'm normally very resilient) numerous times beyond my control and had to take obnoxious pay cuts as a result. This is my only major gripe.

Advice to Management

Again - the sick day policy should be expanded : )

Super English Language School Response

Apr 30, 2016 – Owner, Founder & Director

Many thanks to the teacher for this excellent review! He really understood the amount of freedom afforded to each Super English teacher and used it well. This teacher truly thrived in the... More

8. "Great place to work at!"

I worked at Super English Language School full-time

Pros

-Extremely reliable: Most employers in Thailand are a nightmare to work for. Super English is extremely upfront and honest about the working situation, which is great overall. The owner is Western, and is very supportive.

-Freedom in the classroom: You have the freedom to set up the classroom activities as you'd like, within the guidelines prescribed by the school.

-Free accommodation for the first 2 months.

-There is one main school that Super English works with, and the children are very well-behaved for the most part. The Thai teachers are also very friendly and it leads to some pleasant work environments.

-There are ways to legitimately make some extra money if you so choose.

-Life in Surat in great! It's cheap, the people are very friendly, and it's not spoiled by tourism. On top of that, there's a small, vibrant expat community that is slowly growing. The beaches and islands are nearby and available for a weekend getaway, and almost all of southern Thailand is accessible for the numerous 3 day weekends you will have.

****The work visa is completed and paid for by the company, although you'll have to pay for some small costs, such as the cheap medical checkup. However, if you are converting from a tourist visa, you will have to pay for your own trip to a consulate outside of Thailand. But, even including that, it's common now for many employers in Thailand to not pay for the relevant visas, so this is a huge bonus.

Cons

-Some people might not like the freedom in the classroom and would prefer more oversight and structure.

-The free accommodation is nice for someone starting in Surat, but you'll want to find your own place (which is easy to do) as soon as you can.

"An amazing teaching experience with a reliable company!"

I have been working at Super English Language School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working for Super English the last 2 years and I am staying another year to complete 3 full years of teaching. It has been an amazing experience so far.

Super English is there for you from the moment you're hired. They're there for you every step along the way. It is a great support system.

The moment you arrive in Thailand you're greeted with open arms and you're provided with 2 month free accommodation. This really helps you settle and adapt to your new surroundings.

You receive terrific training as well. Without that week of training I would have been completely lost. You also receive teaching packages full of valuable information such as classroom management ideas to game ideas.

Once you are set, ready and in the classroom, you are able to teach the material based on your own teaching style. Being able to teach to your teaching style and ability is great because it really helps you grow as a teacher. You are able to try different methods and games to see what works and what does not.

Your work visa is entirely handled by Super English. This is an absolute blessing. Visas can be very complicated with tons of paper work, all being in Thai of course. Super English handles all of this. The only thing we have to do as teachers is sign documents which is no hassle as all. Having a company that takes care of your work permit with such caution really puts your mind at ease.

Super English has provided an incredible teaching experience. They help prepare you as a teacher and they are there every step of the way. Moving to Thailand and teaching with Super English at Thida has been a life changing experience. I encourage anyone to apply to Super English, it's a wonderful experience plus Thailand is an amazing country to travel and explore

Cons

With any job you will no doubt have some bad days. That goes for anyone. Some days maybe your Thai teacher won't be present or they aren't as helpful. This is something that comes with the job. It can be very frustrating at times but it does really challenge you to really take control and provide proper discipline.

10. "6 Months Turned into an Amazing 2 Years!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Surat Thani (Thailand)
    Former Employee - Teacher in Surat Thani (Thailand)

I worked at Super English Language School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I initially got hired to complete a 6 month contract with SE and loved it so much that I extended. I ended up staying for 2 full years! It was one of the best cultural and professional experiences of my entire life. If you're looking for a teaching gig in Thailand, Super English is the best. I wouldn't take the time to write this review if I didn't mean that.

- The schedule was exactly what I was looking for. I taught about 25 hours/week, plus a few office hours. This was plenty of time to get my planning done so that I never had to take work home with me at night or on the weekend. We had major holidays off, as well as a break in between semesters (perfect time for travel).

- Freedom in the classroom. The lessons I taught were pretty much up to me as long as I hit the necessary topics and met the expected outcomes. This allowed for fun and engaging lessons that were a lot of fun for both me and my students.

- Pay. This isn't everything, but it's a big deal when you're living abroad. I had several friends at three of the other language companies in Surat Thani and I know that SE definitely paid it's teachers the best. Plus, when I was there, my pay was a guaranteed amount every month, so I knew exactly what I was getting (opposed to most other language companies that pay by the hour).

- Extra pay! There was a handful of ways to make extra money if I wanted to earn a little more to save for travel or for saving in general. These included tutoring/teaching at local businesses after work, writing articles for the school's website, and working weekend or "summer" language camps. Plus work bonuses are often offered for different things.

- The management staff and owner really care about the teachers that work there. This was huge for me. The teachers' best interest always came first.

- All work and no play makes Jack a dull teacher. SE had at least one work party per month. These were paid for by the company and ranged from theme parties at local restaurants/bars to weekend get aways at resort in Khanom Beach (amazing!). The end of the semester parties were the best!! There were also monthly cultural experiences (optional) like trying certain Thai foods, attending Thai festivals, or taking Muay Thai lessons.

- Resources and professional guidance. If you're unsure about how to teach a certain skill or can't come up with a good idea for a lesson, all you have to do is ask. The SE team was full of knowledge and eager to help any time I had questions. There's also a ton of teaching resources (books, props, etc.) available for the teachers to use. Trainings are also offered on certain topics.

- Language lessons were offered for those interested in studying Thai.

- The work visa is taken care of by SE. This may not seem like a big deal, but most companies leave this up to the employee and between the paperwork and other bureaucratic issues, it can be an absolute headache.

- Free housing! Part of the incredible experience that I had in Surat Thani was living with the other teachers. Housing was provided at no charge and included wifi and basic furniture (a bed and closet in each bedroom). I'm still in touch with all my old roommates and we often refer to our times in the SE house as "The Real World: Thailand". There's also the option to find housing on your own, which I did for the last 6 months of my time in Surat (moved out with my girlfriend who was also a SE teacher). I'd say that the thing that I miss the most about my time with SE isn't the amazing Thai food, the friend Thai people, the island adventures, or the motorbike insanity--but the community of teachers that I worked with.

Cons

- When I was there, I believe we were required to work one English Camp. This isn't really a bad thing--they're fun, easy, and pay well. However, they usually will be on a weekend or time off.

- Depending on your contract, your hours will probably be 8-4, even though you won't be teaching the whole time. Even if you're aren't teaching a class you are required to be at the school. Again, not really a negative--I, personally, took this planning time seriously and got work done. I NEVER had to bring home work after school or on the weekends. Once it's 4pm your time is YOUR time.

- You might need to tough it out on those sick days. Because there aren't Substitute Teachers on call, if you're really sick enough to miss a day of work it can be tough to find someone to cover your classes. Management is supportive and willing to help if it is really necessary, but don't think that just because you had one too many glasses of Leo the night before you can call out. Be responsible and maintain a good work ethic and this won't be an issue.

- No health insurance. However Thai hospitals are excellent and super cheap! I only had to go two times--once when I had strep throat and once when I dropped my motorbike on my foot. Between seeing (English speaking) doctors, getting prescriptions, and even x-rays I don't think I ever spent more than 1,000 baht (about $30-35 USD). Still, not having insurance can be worrisome for some people. *My biggest piece of advice in regards to health/safety is to be careful on motorbikes!