Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Updated May 10, 2017

San Jose, CA

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) Chairman, President, and CEO Charles Liang
Charles Liang

Pros
  • health insurance; free breakfast; free coffee; some discount on offsite fitness (in 28 reviews)

• Supermicro is a fast growing company in the current IT industry and the company is still running by both founder and co-founder (in 13 reviews)

"Product Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company offers a wide range of product lines that cover from SMB to Enterprise whereas many new knowledge can be learnt and shared. Great insurance benefit. CEO Charles devotes 99% of his time into work place that demonstrate a strong work passion to others. Result drive, no macro management.

Cons

Many senior managers do not know how to mentor or train the new hires. If you do not speak Chinese, you will be lost in translation. No clear company organization chart is provided. Company politic is an issue that cause internal conflict and result in bad reputations in front of external customers.

Advice to Management

Company direction needs to be more clear, strategy needs to be more unified on target business segment. Shooting in the dark will never aim.

"High aspirations but poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is hiring all the time, people rarely get fired/laid off, industry is booming

Company's products are actually pretty solid

Recent addition of company cafeteria (low prices but not free)

Company provides "breakfast"- a bread roll and if you stay late- dinner services (free) usually an Asian option and a Pizza/Burrito option

Cons

full disclosure I work with with one of the most incompetent people within the company-

Supermicro has serious problems retaining employees which is why they are always hiring-many of the people I met when hired have left the company - some were long time employees and others were new (less than a year). I would guess for every 3 people they hire 2 people quit. This creates a lot of instability as many people are just learning their positions.

One of the biggest problems is - poor management (depending on the department) sales, HR, accounts receivable have high turnover rates- company does not do enough to enforce rules or create a positive work environment. From my experience, I was given very little guidance and training. My first 3 months, I had to constantly hound more experienced people (one of whom wasn't even on my team) to learn how to do my job properly.

Supermicro is described as having an Asian work culture- which is true. For those that don't understand what that means- my best description would be- a child who gets good grades at school so their parent overlooks all character flaws. For example, if you are a salesperson generating high revenue all sins will be overlooked. I have seen salespeople not only treat team members poorly but also their customers. Sometimes salespeople fail to follow proper procedures causing a giant internal headache. Even when upper management is informed of customer complaints & misconduct little action is ever taken.

People who have left the company, the ones I spoke to, all say they have a better work experience after leaving.

Also no matching 401K
    Little to no vacation- it is around 8 days PTO a year for me but I do not have a backup so I end up rarely taking vacation -1 day in the past 10 months? and less than 10 days in the last two years....

Advice to Management

CEO Charles talks about competing with Tier 1 companies like HP and Dell but the truth is unless Management shapes up and starts taking action to improve the current crop of managers or axing the bad managers- all the talented individuals will not stay.

I would suggest figuring out ways to identify lower level talented employees- nothing screams obliviousness more than having a manager who just signed off on one's promotion if they are a new hire (my boss's boss)

"Think twice before getting into this company"

Current Employee - Test Technician in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Test Technician in San Jose, CA

Pros

health insurance; free breakfast; free coffee; some discount on offsite fitness

Cons

long hours working; no potential of getting promote when you are not Taiwanese; negative working atmosphere

"Dungeon"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable job. You never get fired even if you don't do anything.
    You get paid.

Cons

I worked in this company for some time. It is a place where any silicon valley citizen wouldn't want to work. This company doesn't treat people well. Employees in engineering are told directly that they MUST stay late (up to about 8 PM) and come on Saturdays. You will be told, "Look at the CEO, Charlie. He himself stays late until 9 PM". You must follow his example. If you don't, it is a guarantee that you will never get promoted or get decent raise or RSUs. Here, sitting late is seen equivalent to working hard even if you don't do much during that time. No work life balance at all. You will be a stranger to your own family.

There is an outdated and weird concept of "probation". Even if you are an industry veteran with several years of experience, you will be put under probation for about 3 months. During this time, you should not take vacation (my manager told me this even though HR said I could) and you should stay late as much as you can. This is the way to get a good probation report. I had to take vacation during this time and my manager was not very happy.

I realized during my stay that doing a good job is your duty so you will never get a pat on your back for a job well done but if there is a slip, you will be yelled at. Your manager can say anything to you, it can be demeaning or insulting but you have to understand that boss is always right and an employee here is kinda slave who has to just keep quite.

There is internal politics. So two groups working on same thing would never share their findings/work with the other group. This creates an unproductive and hostile work environment.

You would be amazed to see the lack of processes, lack of productivity tools and lack of transparency. You will have no idea who else is working under your boss and on what. You will never know what projects your peers are working on. You are just assigned what needs to be done and you do that.

Advice to Management

I don't think management will take my advise.

6. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) (More than a year)

Pros

Many new things to learn

Cons

Long hours working, not good pension

7. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

the system team has newer management style allow team member to have more flexible schedule. good family benefit and insurance.

Cons

disconnected between teams, and too many random tasks.

"Strange work culture. I wouldn't recommend."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have a job and you get paid along with health insurance.

Cons

There are a lot of things to say. Here are the bullet points you need to know before you join this company:

a) No work life balance here. No remote connectivity via VPN. If you have to work over the weekend or night (sometime you do need to), you must come to office in person. If you have doctor's appointment, you must take vacation time for doctor's appointment or any other appointment and report back after the appointment. It is NOT like other silicon valley companies that after appointment you can chose to work from home. Horrible!

b) In Engineering, you are expected to sit until 8 PM and come at 9AM. Even if you don't have work to do, just sit. Your career would be made or ruined between 6PM and 9PM. If you sit during that time, you are seen as hardworking employee, if not, you are lousy employee. Your boss will clearly tell you on your face to stay late and *come on Saturdays*. Management encourages sitting late. Boss yelling at people under him/her is common. Mine did.

c) Taking vacation is not appreciated by management. My boss wasn't happy with me taking vacation.

d) Lack of processes and lack of documentation makes it very hard to get your job done if you are a new hire. I had to struggle to get the job done. I was re-inventing the wheel most of the times.

e) Innovation is not encouraged. If you have a new idea, just keep quite and keep doing your work to collect the paycheck and yes, do not forget to stay late if you want to be recognized and want free dinner box after 7PM.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to read my review and try to fix the culture here. Try to bring it to the level of other Silicon valley companies if you want to attract and retain talent.

9. "New Hire"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

Pros

I had lots of reservations before finally accepting a position at the Sr. Director level. I have been a competitor to SMCI for over 16 years & I believed the horror stories acquired 3rd hand. I was brought it to bring online a new sales team that focuses on a rebranded Supermicro with market knowledge of how our partners & customers want to be treated. Lets see how this shakes out.

Cons

The operational and administrative tools are trapped in the 90's. A productivity upgrade with enhanced software will make expense reports, forecasts, manufacturing and even HR that more easy for employees to utilize

Advice to Management

The new building to expand more manufacturing lines are phenomenal... Please allocate money to upgrade the internal productivity tools. It will make employees very happy.

"sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

breakfast is provided, dinner box is available if you are staying late.

Cons

low IQ co-workers who are surprisingly shady and mean, kept got backstabbed and harassed meaninglessly
    extremely hostile "team" scares people away

Advice to Management

even though it's a sales team, please help with maintaining the moral level to a bearable level

"Would give ZERO STARS if I could."

Former Employee - Product Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Discounted gym membership. Accepted my salary request after negotiating.

Cons

The atmosphere at Supermicro is extremely negative. I worked here for one month as a Product Engineer and was trained in multiple departments as a new hire. Throughout all of my training, I met new people each who would tell me that I need to watch my back at the company and if I wanted to know how bad it could get, to study glassdoor reviews. A senior engineer advised me: "stay late on weekdays even if you are not working - that's how you will be recognized for hard work." This is no joke.

My direct manager would tell me that most of the time, reps on our sales team will have a lot of drama fighting over accounts. He laughed talking about how most of the time, our team will already know who won the account long before our sales reps find out because we work directly with the customer. Then he proceeded to say that I should stay out of the sales "drama" as much as possible. This was one of many signs that told me how unprofessional the teams are.

During my exit interview with HR, the HR coordinator asked me why I wanted to leave so soon and so abruptly (I did not give a two-weeks notice). I gave her my reasons and her response was, "Oh yes. Those reasons also seem common on Glassdoor, and we have a lot of turnover with younger new hires. We read the reviews and are trying to fix it. Right now our priority is trying to get a 401k match." If that's their first priority, there's no way this company will retain good talent.

Since then I've worked at a much better Silicon Valley tech company. If anything, Supermicro was the place that taught me exactly how a company should NOT operate and made me appreciate my new job so much more.

Advice to Management

I honestly think you too far gone to even be fixed. Your teams are full of complacent people who know the culture is horrible but are too afraid to speak up. The CEO should spend more time learning the real company issues rather than listening to himself talk.

Also, stop gloating that you offer free breakfast. Everyone knows the breakfast pastries provided in the morning are at least one day old from a local asian bakery.