Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) San Jose Reviews

Updated December 4, 2017

San Jose, CA

2.9
Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) Chairman, President, and CEO Charles Liang
Charles Liang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • health insurance; free breakfast; free coffee; some discount on offsite fitness (in 35 reviews)

• Supermicro is a fast growing company in the current IT industry and the company is still running by both founder and co-founder (in 14 reviews)

Cons

1. "Good potential, bad culture"

Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I worked at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge product portfolio and hard working engineers.

Cons

Poor management lead to constant backstabbing where only cheaters and liars get ahead.

2. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very forgiving management, would not lay-off even if employee is not performing

Cons

Long hours, unequal workload where top management for more forgiving to those who knows less. Management style is to hire first and then fit that person into wherever they need a head-count. Engineers are more knowledgeable and are doing more than Managers in many departments

Advice to Management

Introduce 360 feedback and really mean it when feedback is provided.

3. "Product manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many great products, smart people, friendly working environment and free breakfast and dinner.

Cons

Kind of more workload, need work-life balance

Advice to Management

Add more employee activities

"Must have high tolerance to endless processes"

Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales in San Jose, CA

Pros

from employee standpoint; 100% paid health benefits for individual, so-so for family, company has an endless product line, very innovative & fast paced.

Cons

Very high turnover & doesn't pay very well indicating no real value to their experienced employees, a lot of redundancy in most depts making it difficult to navigate operations/processes/expectations, management can be a bit immoral at times, not very good work/life balance if you work here.

Advice to Management

Give employees incentive to want to stick around after 90 days. No need to drive them into the ground so early on. Give credit where credit is earned for the hard working employees, be human towards people.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Senior Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great Products and a lot of smart people here

Cons

Besides above pros, everything else is pretty much cons...you know what I mean

Advice to Management

Long hour doesn't mean anything if you are not doing your job effectively and efficiently. Support your team more. Lead by example! Coach and train some of your team members so everyone is on the same page.

BTW, why can SMC hire some real customer service people? Hire some more so customer service/RMA won't be your weak link and your customers will stay with you long term.

"Needs an overhaul in upper management and a culture change"

Current Employee - Systems Validation Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Validation Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Product line is solid
    Lots of opportunities to explore
    Talented designers/Engineers
    Certain departments are great
    Food is provided throughout the day, with some costs
    Health insurance

Cons

Too much politics. This is most prevalent in all hands in meeting where approximately 400 employees are gathering around to listen in on a topic that is irrelevant to 95% of the people attending. During these meetings, shouting matches across the conference room are apparent and lack of accountability across the board. This is an embarrassing, yet entertaining event to attend weekly. I don’t know how the CEO thinks this will be productive, especially when he has to pay all those attending an hour worth of wages. Bonus points if you can guess the same 5 charts he draws in every meeting. The meeting is not complete without the words quality, schedule control, and tier 1 company. Get rid of these time wasting meetings and establish smaller, shorter straight to the point meetings.

Upper management is not fully aware of the procedures and how to effectively use the resources available.

Get rid of that archaic signature requirement for every little thing. To this day every approval done is through a physical signature. Get with the times and implement a system to collaborate online. Too many times there are upper management folks that are not at their office or in a meeting. The company is paying highly capable employees to go around multiple buildings and coming back multiple days to sign off on things that can be done online. I have redirected many employees just because they are not aware of where people are located.

There is no reason for employees to be staying so late. Luckily my department has changed that policy and we get to leave at a normal time. But, the majority of departments are required to stay late even when there’s no job to be done. If you cannot finish your work in the allocated work day, you are not doing your job efficiently and effectively. Stop this nonsense of having employees staying late for the sake of face. Weekend work should also be ban, see my point earlier.

Sales is a joke. All the reviews about sales leader fighting over accounts is very real. In the end this ends up hurting the customer and revenue. Stop this politics and breed collaboration. Pay commissions to the people under the sales team leader who are actually doing the heavy lifting. Don’t feed just one person who ends up being the laziest one...

Doing day to day tasks can be a pain. If you want to request a part or move something to another building, there are so many approvals that needs to be done and it takes numerous days to accomplish what can be done if I just went and did it myself.

The ISO department is terrible. Ran by an incompetent employee that writes up a bunch of SOP that is not carried out by a majority of the people working here.

Marketing team needs to be overhauled.... get rid of the whole Mother Earth thing. Please bring down the banner on building 2, we do not sell baby formulas. Please hire employees with skills that are more than just Microsoft paint. If you work here or seen any advertisements from supermicro you know what I mean.

Product catalog keeps getting bigger. CEO tells the PM to support existing platforms rather than introducing new ones, but at the end of the day, he ends up signing off on it and is ultimately up to him. See the disconnect there?

Advice to Management

Really talented employees leave because of the poor management that stems from the top. The CEO is a great engineer but not the best at leading this company. He needs to stick to what he does best. They will say we have great revenue but our profit margin is so low because the sales and pm do not know how to properly manage and market/negotiate the product. Trust me the customer is not always right, especially when dealing with enterprise grade products. In my five years here, we’ve had five different kind of review system. If these are supposed to be a benchmark for the employees then stick to one working method. Pay the employees a wage that matches what the other tier 1 companies are paying and get rid of all the lazy employees that knows how to get away with the current system. This is the 21st century, manage it like one. Provide time flexibility and increase vacation days. Invest in the employees that work really hard and gets the job done. Just because an employee stays at night and comes during the weekend does not make that person a good employee. If the top level management were to be removed, this company will look totally different from the circus it is right now. With the great line of products this company produces, there should be no doubt that it can go far, but it will never reach that aspiration until the old management ways and terrible managers stay. You are a 3000+ employee company with facilities around the world, stop trying to manage this company like it is a startup. The CEO should not have to sign off on every little detail. It’s just hectic and inefficient. Learn from mistakes and make the logical moves, otherwise talented people will keep leaving.

"Associate Production Engineer"

Current Employee - Associate Production Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Production Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

if u like Asian culture company

Cons

lack of operators, salary too low

"Super Micro in a nutshell"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in San Jose, CA

I worked at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free dinner box after at least two hours of overtime.

Cons

I'd like to share my personal experience of working at Super Micro to warn others about this company and their 'Taiwanese' point of view of doing business.

First of all I'd like to point out that the only thing 'Super Micro' about this company is your salary and the amount of free time you have left after accepting this job.

Workers are expected to agree on working overtime whenever they are asked to do so, this includes requests to work on the weekends.
    Any reason given not to work overtime will be either ignored or followed up by a verbal warning by your manager.

My contract at this company states that I would be working 8 hours daily, yet it is not uncommon to work up to 60 hours weekly with an average of 12 hours every single day.

My other colleages laughed at and agreed with many of the other reviews about this company left on this website, we are quite sure that the 5 star reviews are written by the HR department of this company.

Lastly I would like to add that if you are not from Taiwan or any other region in China there is little to no hope that you will recieve any promotion in your promised career at Super Micro, Taiwanese workers get promoted to manager positions within a few years while non-Taiwanese workers will be told they are doing fine on their current position.

9. "Sr. Firmware Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

free breakfast and discounted lunch, decent and free insurance coverage

Cons

There is no 401K match

Advice to Management

The perks are improving, but in order to attract more talents, 401K match is a must... at least 3%...

"current employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

can't think of any

Cons

hard to apply for time off. heavy workload with no extra benefits. they will make you work very hard with no appreciation