Super Supplements Reviews | Glassdoor

Super Supplements Reviews

Current Employees

Jim Sweeney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They were bought out by Vitamin Shoppe, so I am not sure on how it is to work there any longer (in 5 reviews)

• I really liked helping customers reach workable solutions for their health goals (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Vitamin Shoppe bought out the company early 2013 and the culture has never been the same (in 16 reviews)

• There is a bit of misogyny that is a part of this industry overall but with some upper management it is more prevalent than others (in 6 reviews)

1. "Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, Small business-like atmosphere, Provides affordable health insurance

Cons

Issues replenishing product, Corporate politics taking focus from work, Product versatility

2. "General Manager"

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time

Pros

Good company before being bought out from Vitamin Shoppe

Cons

Training not very good, once bought out the company was changed to a corp. Atmosphere instead of a family business

3. "Good place to work at"

Pros

Flexible. Easy. Great environment and lots of knowledge!

Cons

Corporate run. Not a local company anymore. It's retail.

4. "Good Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time

Pros

Awesome place to work if you are genuinely interested in health and wellness. Customers are always fun to talk to and you will encounter many who are just as passionate about the industry as you are.

Cons

Frustrating POS system and meager benefits ruin an otherwise perfect experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You guys are the backbone of the company!

5. "Health Enthusiast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Super Supplements (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent discount, casual environment. Available training.

Cons

Pay is not really livable. Hired full time but not getting full time hours. Staffing too short to take the training coarse.

6. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a fascinating industry and you learn new things every day.

Cons

The pay scale is low considering how much they want you to learn on your own.

Advice to Management

keep your good employees! Upper management lets the good ones get away too easily. In 5 year there will be no distinction between Super Supplements and any other vitamin retailer. There are very, very qualified ASM's and Keyholders that are more than capable of running a store but the growing leaders program is an unnecessary road block and not that great of a program to boot.

"Stepchild to Vitamin Shoppe"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

SImple retail and really awesome customers. Great discount on excellent merchandise. If you are just looking for an "easy" job, this isn't a terrible place to be. I had a few college students that did well with the work/life balance. Really, for the PT, FT and Keyholding roles, it is a great place to be - if you are looking for future potential, be on the VItamin Shoppe side of things. The infrastructure to better help your customers is there. SS hasn't aligned all processes yet. In 2016 when the Georgetown warehouse closes it wlll probably be better for SS employees.

Cons

Vitamin Shoppe doesn't know what to do with SS. Because of this, they have alienated a large chunk of customers by eliminated several skus that may not have brought in the margins but were companion products to bigger transactions. Across the board, SS is seeing double digit % declines in customer count. The slowest store with SS beats 90% of the busiest VS stores in the PNW. From the ASM to SM level there is very little opportunity to promote. Same goes for SM to MM or DM. There is a bit of misogyny that is a part of this industry overall but with some upper management it is more prevalent than others.

Advice to Management

Do something QUICKLY. The brand is degrading and it is because, in the interest of attempting to not degrade the brand, they are creating customer ill-will. There is no ability at the SS level to order products and ship out for customers when out of stock - because a different warehouse is utilized. This means we drive customers away to places like Amazon - which further negatively impacts the success of VS brands. The technologies are not on par with a retailer of this size. They run corporate in New Jersey on a skeleton staff which means the follow up and follow through is lacking. Onboarding new hires is a nightmare and further impedes the ability to appropriately staff. The application process is glitchy at best - work on the infrastructure of the onboarding process - this is the first impression we make on our new hires and if we start off on the wrong foot, it sets the tone for their duration of employment.

8. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the first time in my life, I finally have a job that I care about. What I do makes a positive difference in other peoples lives. My knowledge, passion, and skills have lead me to this point and are finally being put to use.

In the past week I've gained a form of wealth I never considered. It's not the monetary gains that give me this sense of wealth, but the people I work with, the products I sell, and the people I assist.

Cons

The training program and modules could benefit from an update.

"Great idea, good people, all ruined by corporate buy-outs."

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What Super Supplements does- or used to do, anyway- is educate. They invested a great deal of time and effort into educating their staff, so their staff could educate their customers. This allowed us to help people, as in, *really* help people, every day. It made what could have been just another retail job into something rewarding and fulfilling. It *was* a great place to work.

Cons

And then Vitamin Shoppe bought the company and it has been downhill ever since. All the focus has shifted from improving the lives of our customers to making as much money off them as possible. We used to talk about people; now we only talk about numbers. We used to talk about how to invest in our employees; now we have endless memos about how to prevent employee theft, mandatory bag checks every single time we walk out the door, and they even go so far as to outline pat-downs if you're wearing a coat. I guess if you're into the soulless corporate sales game, and enjoy working for a company who will hire just about anyone because they are going to treat all their employees like potential criminals, instead of members of a team, it's great. But if you want to feel like a human being working with other human beings, I'd look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Focus less on the numbers and more on the people. When you are honestly invested in your customers and your employees, the numbers will sort themselves out.

"Assume Positive Intent"

Current Employee - Administrative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super Supplements was a fast growing and fun place to work. Most employees had an opportunity to make a difference and work was collaborative.

Cons

Super Supplements has been sold to Vitamin Shoppe and the corporate take-over nightmare begins. Most office employees will be fired but the distribution center remains and takes over distribution for the 17 Vitamin Shoppe stores in the area.

Advice to Management

It was pretty unfair to continue to hire when you were working to sell the company.