Super Supplements Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Local company with a constant flow of new opportunities in management.
    Vendor product training's are held frequently.
    Family culture

Cons

Loss of culture due to acquisition. Everything that made SS a unique place to work is being replaced.
    They

Advice to Management

Stick to the fundamentals that made Super Supplements such a unique place to shop. It is now just another boring retail store. So sad.

2. "Good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements (More than 5 years)

Pros

Local company, great retail partners and corporate staff.

Cons

Loss of local feel after purchase by larger parent company.

"Stepchild to Vitamin Shoppe"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

SImple retail and really awesome customers. Great discount on excellent merchandise. If you are just looking for an "easy" job, this isn't a terrible place to be. I had a few college students that did well with the work/life balance. Really, for the PT, FT and Keyholding roles, it is a great place to be - if you are looking for future potential, be on the VItamin Shoppe side of things. The infrastructure to better help your customers is there. SS hasn't aligned all processes yet. In 2016 when the Georgetown warehouse closes it wlll probably be better for SS employees.

Cons

Vitamin Shoppe doesn't know what to do with SS. Because of this, they have alienated a large chunk of customers by eliminated several skus that may not have brought in the margins but were companion products to bigger transactions. Across the board, SS is seeing double digit % declines in customer count. The slowest store with SS beats 90% of the busiest VS stores in the PNW. From the ASM to SM level there is very little opportunity to promote. Same goes for SM to MM or DM. There is a bit of misogyny that is a part of this industry overall but with some upper management it is more prevalent than others.

Advice to Management

Do something QUICKLY. The brand is degrading and it is because, in the interest of attempting to not degrade the brand, they are creating customer ill-will. There is no ability at the SS level to order products and ship out for customers when out of stock - because a different warehouse is utilized. This means we drive customers away to places like Amazon - which further negatively impacts the success of VS brands. The technologies are not on par with a retailer of this size. They run corporate in New Jersey on a skeleton staff which means the follow up and follow through is lacking. Onboarding new hires is a nightmare and further impedes the ability to appropriately staff. The application process is glitchy at best - work on the infrastructure of the onboarding process - this is the first impression we make on our new hires and if we start off on the wrong foot, it sets the tone for their duration of employment.

4. "Easy work pace, great co workers, fun"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Super Supplements part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting and talking about vendors
    Getting full size samples
    Free Training online for certain products
    Health Event planning

Cons

Bought by vitamin shoppe, culture is changing no more paid trainings, too corporate, not investing in their employees any more. Lost a lot of quality people

Advice to Management

Leave super supplements alone and let them continue with their former buissness model and employee training. Vitamin shoppe bought us for a reason.

5. "Not super supplements, SUPPLEMENT SUPERSTORES. Great at first and then downhill from there. Terrible management."

Former Employee - Manager, Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager, Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning information that you can share with others.

Cons

Paycuts like crazy, start at minimum wage, do as your told, don't question, empty promises, expected to do much more, consumes your life.

Advice to Management

There is no entry management. Start at the bottom and work your way up.

6. "Sexual Harassment as far as the eye can see"

Pros

It was a great place to work before the culture shift. Suddenly, it didn't matter how hard you worked. It only mattered who your friends were and how well you were willing to play the game

Cons

I've never worked for a place that had more issues with sexual harassment. That's one of the reasons I left. I was being harassed and management did nothing about it.

7. "Was a great place to gain experience in a friendly and professional environment."

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the employees were viewed as valuable. Particularly before the company was acquired.

Cons

The culture is in transition from being a locally owned and operated, small business atmosphere to becoming more of a corporate setting with tighter budgets and greater expectations. There seems to be less room for people to try out alternative ideas.

Advice to Management

Return some of the focus onto the employees. They were seen as valuable before, and they should continue to be.

"It was a Super Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Super Supplements full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are for the most part enjoyable. If you're passionate about the natural products industry, and if you already know the products, this might be worth it.

Cons

We went from a philosophy of "Assume Positive Intent" under Super Supplements to "treat every employee and vendor like a potential thief" under Vitamin Shoppe. Perks are disappearing. The education program was gutted. Labor was cut drastically. There is too much stress on managers and a poor work/life balance.

Advice to Management

It's too late. Every Super Supplements will be a Vitamin Shoppe within a year and a half. Mark my words. Everything that made this company great (for customer and employee) has been lost, except for the few die-hard old employees trained under the old regime that still know their stuff.

9. "Great Seattle Based Company"

Pros

Excellent staff training opportunities, attended many cutting edge product trainings.

Cons

Wish they were still an independent company!

10. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Health Enthusiast in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Super Supplements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the first time in my life, I finally have a job that I care about. What I do makes a positive difference in other peoples lives. My knowledge, passion, and skills have lead me to this point and are finally being put to use.

In the past week I've gained a form of wealth I never considered. It's not the monetary gains that give me this sense of wealth, but the people I work with, the products I sell, and the people I assist.

Cons

The training program and modules could benefit from an update.