Supercuts "haircuts" Reviews | Glassdoor

Supercuts Employee Reviews about "haircuts"

Updated Nov 3, 2019

3.1
Supercuts CEO Hugh Sawyer
Hugh Sawyer
Pros
  • "I started as a Stylist and was put through training to become more efficient(in 49 reviews)

• "Flexible schedule when fully staffed(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not every stylist want to live up to expectations(in 91 reviews)

• "It is the sweatpants and an old tee shirt of haircuts(in 42 reviews)

Reviews about "haircuts"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Love Supercuts"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Supercuts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Supportive, understanding upper management, Salary, commission and tips and manager bonus I make great money. Great benefits, helped me pay back my student loan, I have short and long term disability insurance, health insurance, Sick time and Holiday Pay along with manager get personal days. Flexible work schedule and tons of training , Haircutting training, Color training and retail classes. Also we do advanced classes in blow drying and styling! They also have classes to develop managers.

Cons

I don’t think I have a con. I love my job

Advice to Management

Continue always being open to listenIng to your employees !!!

Supercuts2019-11-03
  2. "Horrible management"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Supercuts full-time for less than a year

Pros

40% off products Free haircuts

Cons

-Management sucked -Cut my hours drastically for no reason with no response -lots of drama -manger was very rude and sarcastic

Advice to Management

Get a new manager

Supercuts2019-10-06
  3. "Stylist"

Current Employee - Stylist in Weslaco, TX

I have been working at Supercuts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

On going training. Great pay. Give great haircuts. Customer are awesome.

Cons

Don’t have any complaints on company

Supercuts2019-09-16

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Stylist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Supercuts part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get good tips sometimes and get paid hourly They teach you different ways to cut hair

Cons

I was let go because I didn't always "use their haircutting technique". My boss despised me and turns out, this was her only way to get rid of me. There are employess with subpar customer service, some who walk out on their clients, and others who called in sick at least once a week since they started working there, but they still have their jobs??? I've never had a haircut re-do and I always covered someone's shift when they called out and I ALWAYS showed up to my shift on top of that. Sounds like you missed the mark here but luckily you pushed me into the arms of a better salon, THANK YOU SUPERCUTS!

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees at the bottom of the totem pole for once.

Supercuts2019-08-05
  5. "STAY AWAY HAIRSTYLISTS !"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I worked at Supercuts part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Haircutting gets better. Also they have great education.

Cons

The management leans toward favoritism of its own.If you're a stylist you get 0 support from upper level management. The pay sucks .The tips are decent to mediocre at best. If you want to be successful as a stylist ,go learn or assist a successful, talented, and fully booked artist .Usually they need assistance.You then can learn to develop a full book ,do beautiful hair ,and develop a business. Supercuts will use you,then burn you out to the point you'll want to leave the business without fulfilling your potential in this wonderful industry.DO NOT be sold on their commission structure.Even if you are busy ,by the time taxes hit,you'll be making PENNIES on the HOUR. If you do a color and great haircut,then you need to make a substantial amount off YOUR WORK! Just remember one plus one is two ALL DAY.Don't work for these MONEY hungry jerks . They LIE on practically EVERYTHING they tell you. School owners need to NOT ALLOW their students to be lured by these vultures !

Advice to Management

Stick to hair, if you want to manage, go get an MBA. Cause some not all of you can't even cut in a straight line much less run a decent salon.

Supercuts2019-08-27

"Mindless and demanding at the same time."

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Supercuts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid education, great practice for getting your cuts done quickly and efficiently.

Cons

Supercuts clients tend to be people that barely care about what's on their heads. It is the sweatpants and an old tee shirt of haircuts. People come to Supercuts for a bargain and those bargain-hunting people don't usually tip well. Supercuts more than any other place gave me clients who were demanding yet didn't tip AT ALL. Even when they are priced the same as all surrounding shops, that element is still drawn to Supercuts like flies to you-know-what. Haircuts must be done in about 20 minutes and if your average time is anything over that, you will be reprimanded. Spending 30 minutes per client is a no-no. Monthly reviews bring up your timing and it doesn't matter how good a stylist you are- if you are taking more than the alotted 20 minutes to perform a cut, you are getting spoken to. Also, they have a very specific way that they expect you to cut hair. Interestingly, it is not the most efficient way to cut nor the best way to get attractive results, yet, this inefficient, clunky method is how you are expected to cut quickly and smoothly. This may or not be important to you, but the music there is ABYSMAL and is the number one motivation I HAD to get up and to get a change in salon jobs as I became convinced that the music they played was meant to make you stupid. If music is in any way important to you, DO NOT WORK AT SUPERCUTS. Trust me.

Advice to Management

Management is typical corporate, stuck-in-a-rut, fake-smiling faces. They are one step removed from cutting hair at Wal-mart and they know it. There is an equal aura of disatisfaction and lazy contentment with any manager of a Supercuts, for whatever that's worth.

Supercuts2019-05-18
  7. "Good Money/ unlawful practice"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Supercuts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great for new stylist. Teaches flawless haircutting system that maximizes efficiency and production.

Cons

Treats employees awful. Strick dress code. Low pay. Poor benifits.

Supercuts2019-03-21
  8. "Its an okay job to get training and better at haircuts. Not a forever job and they only pay minimum wage,"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Supercuts part-time for more than a year

Pros

Training provided on haircuts and color. Flexible schedule when fully staffed. 50% off products the last week of the month. Good tips at times

Cons

Managers play favorites, Company no longer provides equipment which adds up since you need clippers and blades for high volume cutting, only get paid minimum wage, hard to move up to manager, no raises, they keep raising prices in turn less tip amount and more walk outs.

Advice to Management

Make the schedule from corporate not from the managers since they don’t know how to work everyone evenly. Give more incentives to stylists.

Supercuts2018-10-07
  9. "Great for starting off and learning men's cuts."

I worked at Supercuts full-time

Pros

Free paid education for haircuts for both men and women and simple color procedures. Good tips depending on the area.

Cons

Minimum wage, no set schedule, rude customers depending on the area, and no real future when it comes to creativity and have to cut the way supercuts wants you to cut.

Advice to Management

Talk to the hire up about paying the stylist better. We went to school for 1600 hours and are licensed and should get paid more then a normal job that doesn't require any certification or education and gets paid the same or sometimes more then we do at supercuts.

Supercuts2018-05-02
  10. "Sexist Paychecks!! Unfair treatment."

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Supercuts full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has a cute theme and supplies most tools for the stylists. I think it could have been a nice place to work if handled professionally and properly.

Cons

My male co-worker, who held the exact same job position as me was getting paid 12.00+ an hour while I was paid 9.50/hr and was given less hours on the schedule, This is Supercuts on 829b on S. Washington St., in Alexandria, VA. When I finally quit, the owner tried to justify that this was "okay" because the barber had more years of experience and did more haircuts for the salon. There was NO commission structure here and no room for promotion. I felt this was extremely unfair as I did more work at the front desk and had less complaints. There's not a salon manager or receptionist! It is ran by a couple who have no previous experience in the salon industry and are NOT cosmetologists! They just hire random stylists and even tried to run the salon with just 3 hairstylists working there!! Often during the week I would work alone from 11-7 which is unsafe in accordance to the company policy. The shortness of staff made weekends stressful and dreadful. Clients had to wait and wait and they would have to sign themselves in on a very slow tablet. I felt bad that the clients had to experience such poor customer service. Unfortunately, I also experienced sexual harassment by my male colleague, the one who was paid higher than me. When I told this to the owners my complaint was not taken seriously enough. I'm sure there are better Supercuts but NOT this location!!!

Advice to Management

Stop trying to run a business on such a cheap budget. Don't have just one male and one female working together all the time AND on the same shift because it does not lead to anything good!!!

Supercuts2018-04-04