Superdrug Sales Adviser Reviews | Glassdoor

Peter Macnab
  1. "October"

Current Employee - Sales Advisers

I have been working at Superdrug part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People I work with weekly

Cons

Pay as would like more

Superdrug2019-09-15
  2. "Low salary, no sick pay, fair staff discount"

Former Employee - Sales Adviser in London, England

I worked at Superdrug full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule (if previously agreed with manager) and 10% staff discount on branded products

Cons

If you sign-up for an 8 hrs contract and end up working 35 hrs a week you will get the pension contribution only for 8 hrs. Low salary, no sick pay, air-con/ heating frequently not working so you end up working in a freezer or in hell. Entrance door is always open even when snowing, which cause staff to gest ill and significant waste of energy when the heating is on (really bad for the environment). You are forced... to stress the customer by asking them repeatedly "can I help you?" and then you have to deal with the complaint because the customer doesn't want you to help them, they just want to do their shopping without anyone stressing them.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed!

Superdrug2019-09-18
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Ok"

Current Contractor - Sales Adviser

I have been working at Superdrug

Pros

Staff are nice depending on store, make true friends, not a hard job. Discount good

Cons

Too much to sell, customers getting annoyed for us having to sell things to them, threatened if we don’t

Superdrug2019-08-22
  5. "Absolute pishflaps"

Current Contractor - Sales Adviser

I have been working at Superdrug for more than a year

Pros

Great first job Staff discount is pretty good (30% off own brand, 10% off branded products) Get on well with current staff

Cons

Can be incredibly stressful Given 100 jobs at a time and expected to complete them all in an unmanageable time Made to push star buy sales and superdrug cards and sim cards (everybodys on a contract nowadays stop tryna be like tesco sis)

Superdrug2019-04-29
  6. "You need to have a good physical conditioning..."

I worked at Superdrug full-time for less than a year

Pros

- nice enviroment... I made friends there - the manager was supportive and always tried to make everyone happy with the job (unfortunately he left) - If you are a hard worker and reliable person, you probably can grow in the company - the shifts were flexible

Cons

- long hours standing, short breaks, physically exhausting - most of the work is to ensure that customers do not steal products - I could not leave my aisle unless someone came to cover me (not even to go to the toilet). The problem is that there were never enough people to coveryou. -You have to approach people who are stealing and calling management, which I consider not safe. They should hire trained security... guards. - The new manager was very rude.

Superdrug2018-10-29
  7. "Don’t work here if you value your sanity"

Current Employee - Sales Adviser

I have been working at Superdrug part-time

Pros

Average discount Flexible hours Alright pay - nothing amazing but it’s okay

Cons

Too many unrealistic goals for sales advisers who effectively have no power. We are expected to be the ones to push starbuys, SIM cards and perfumes and are the ones to blame when the goal is not met. I’m terms of starbuys all stores are compared to each other without consideration of store size, location, proximity to customers etc.

Advice to Management

Realise that sales advisers aren’t the reason why you aren’t selling perfumes and in fact no one wants to buy it. For example, if some comes in to spend £2 on deodorant they’re not going to want to spend an additional £30 unexpectedly at the till for perfume. LOGIC!! SIM cards- biggest waste of an investment that the company will never get back when most are already on contract also you’re not going to get... customers who are going to change their entire phone plan on the spot! Bare in mind we expected to sell 1 per shift. Health and beauty cards- don’t be so arsey about registering so many when you claim it to be the 4th biggest loyalty scheme in the uk and most people who I serve either have one or are extremely disinterested. Overall, sort it out huns x

Superdrug2018-09-02

"Okay for a part time job but not the nicest atmosphere"

Former Employee - Sales Adviser

I worked at Superdrug part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discount. The product range, Superdrug's own brand is cruelty free. Get to know regular customers. Decent pay and as a part time job whilst at university.

Cons

Discount for branded items same and sometimes less than student discount. The unrealistic push for beautycard and starbuy sales to a small store with regular customers and tourists, the regulars either have them already or don't want them and unless it is treat Thursday there is no benefit for tourists with beautycards. Often the ridiculous amount of questions you have to ask at the till will get in the way of... you providing good customer service, many times customers think you are stupid (and some have verbalised that exactly) because you are offering a bag when they are packing one already but you have to because you get marked down on your mystery shop. It is uncomfortable to be on the shop floor as even when doing nothing wrong you are watched the entire time, out of nowhere a team leader will pop up to tell you where you could have sold a star buy in a transaction etc which was quite stressful for an anxious person. Although sometimes nice, the managers and team leaders would be very catty, often talking about colleagues to other staff members. On a few occasions my manager would make inappropriate remarks about my weight, hobbies, and styles passed off as banter but was not his place to say. High turnover of staff, by the end of my two years at Superdrug I was the longest remaining member including managers etc. Staff would randomly leave with no notice and no chance to say goodbye even managers. Short 4 hour contracts meaning some weeks you work 24 hours or so and the next you're down to your minimum 4 hours so you cannot guarantee how much you will make each month. The 28 hour weeks would often mean working 4/6 hours a day so it will take up most of your week but also not be a lot of hours at the same time. Between your 4 hour shifts changes would be made to the shop or procedures and you would not be told about them before you made a mistake and told off for it. Customers rude about the employees at Superdrug being thick despite the majority at my store were working whilst studying for degrees or masters. Inappropriate comments or gestures meaning that no skirts no matter the length could be worn and nothing tight fitting even though they were not inappropriate for work. Although this was not the company, it was the employees that had to change their outfits instead of the company dealing with the customers. I understand that retail has moments like these and it is just part of the job but 'the customer is always right' has been used against us so many times with customers being incredibly rude and personal to a member of staff but you have to grin and bear it, you cannot even politely refuse what they are saying. Staff search every time you leave the building. Although I get the company want to limit shrinkage, every single time you leave the store your shoes, pockets, and bag would be searched, it was almost as if they were accusing you. Any item sold at Superdrug including ladies' sanitary items would need to be individulally signed meaning many awkward moments with my male manager. It feels like the senior team members do not have trust in their employees. Dual control things like banking and safe checks had to be done by two people, often though the managers had access to the safe etc and would do these alone anyway. Many times I had issues taking my holiday, I gave plenty of weeks notice and filled in the correct form but would not be given holiday due to staff shortage or any other reason. Managers would make you feel very guilty for even asking for the time off even though you were using your holiday hours.

Advice to Management

Focus on good customer service instead of ramming beautycards and starbuys down people's throats. If a customer wants an item they will buy it and with friendly staff sales will come naturally. There is the addition of SIM cards now too meaning you have to ask for 5p bag, points card, starbuys, and SIM card during a transaction where many customers have simply come in for some cough sweets or pack of tissues, want... to leave the store quickly and smoothly but become stressed out from all the questions.

Superdrug2018-08-17
  9. "Sales adviser"

Sales Adviser

I worked at Superdrug for more than a year

Pros

Great team and manager, Good money and benefits. Superdrug always smells nice and looks nice.

Cons

You basically do the same thing everytime you have a shift which can get really repetitive for a year

Superdrug2018-06-21
  10. "Great fun"

Former Employee - Sales Adviser in Rochdale, England

I worked at Superdrug part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Made some fantastic friends over the years,good teams .

Cons

All the active selling

Advice to Management

Store managers brill . Arear managers (well one )need people skills and speak to staff themselves instead of taking managers word.

Superdrug2018-03-07
  11. "Cashier at Victoria Station in London"

I worked at Superdrug full-time for less than a year

Pros

30% discount on Superdrug label products and 10% discount on brands, even if that product is already discounted. Nothing else.

Cons

Very repetitive job. All day scanning items, pushing fidelity cards and perfumes on sale (without any rewards, just the glory). 8 hours with included 30 min of paid break, but too often was asked me to stay longer or to work on a day I was supposed to be off. Very small stockroom where having the break sit on a dirty stair

Advice to Management

Better working conditions and more rewards in order to stimulate the employees

Superdrug2017-10-28