Superdrug Sales Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Superdrug Managing Director Peter Macnab
Peter Macnab

"Bad"

I worked at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

30% discount on own brand products, 10% other.

Cons

Extreme pressure to sell Star Buys, Beauty Cards and Sim Cards with next to no training. I had to hunt down my staff discount card or this wasn't going to be issued to me. I was not given access to the online 'Hub' called 'The Edge' for further training and development. This meant that my product knowledge was limited due to lack of proper training. I had quite a few issues with the management in the store I worked... at and because I had no access to their 'Hub', I had to locate the number for HR and Head Office myself. This ended up costing me, £16+ in phone call charges because their offices are 0843 numbers which are not included in most phone plans. Management do not care about staff or customers for that matter. I have never worked anywhere where the customer was not the sole focus and service was not a priority. Some of the interactions I had witnessed between management and customers often made me cringe. I experienced a very clicky environment as a new staff member and also bullying. I loved shopping at Superdrug as a customer and was full of enthusiasm to start the role, this was shot down in flames at every opportunity and no encouragement or praise was offered. Management have no idea what they are doing and are very incompetent in all aspects of the job. Some of the offers are confusing to customers because of how they are worded. I was left on my own on the shop floor multiple times, while other staff members chatted in the back. You are required to stop and conduct a full body search for any suspected thieves, all for minimum wage. I have never worked anywhere so bad in my life and if you don't thrive in a negative, high pressure and competitive environment, with a poor wage packet and employee benefits then you will thrive. However, if you do actually care about people and customers, then this is not the place for you. Staff facilities are awful, filthy staff room and toilets that never get cleaned. Not allowed out on 15 minute break. Can't write notes on receipt paper due to 'shrinkage'. Expected to work 10 minutes prior to shift, without being paid, to act as a witness to 'count the safe'. Never taken off the shop floor when your shift is finished, left to serve customers while other staff members stand around talking and doing nothing. No consideration for the fact you're not getting paid and you might actually have a life outside of Superdrug. Management visibly disgruntled when they are summoned out of the office to actually do their job and issue a refund or exchange to customers. As a Sales Advisor you are not able to void anything over £5 or given any responsibility, resulting in queues and unhappy customers etc. Continuously searched after every shift, no trust is put in you as an employee. The list goes on...

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually care about their staff and customers. Create a positive environment where staff feel supported and encouraged to do well. Allow employees access to benefits and facilities they should have access to. Stop being so money hungry and focus on service, the sales with follow. Stop putting so much pressure on staff to sell sell sell, they are already trying their best, you offer no commission and... unfortunately you can't force people to buy things. By constantly pressuring staff to sell to customers, the customers become annoyed and it builds mistrust. Have trust in your staff and stop making them feel like thieves. Give staff adequate sales training and stop setting unachievable goals.

Superdrug2019-04-24

"A great first job"

I worked at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

Wage isn't bad for a 16-year-old Lovely colleagues Good discount Only 4 hour shifts

Cons

High expectations (expected me to keep an eye on the till whilst sorting out stock and not being allowed to help customers if they asked... but not allowed to 'pass the buck' either Sometimes quite boring shifts

Superdrug2019-03-05
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Dartford, England

I worked at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff discount and breaks given regularly

Cons

Sometimes not enough contract hours

Advice to Management

Nice place to work as managers and other members of staff were so helpful and friendly. Regular customers which added a nice community feel to the work environment. Only downside was the fact that sometimes there was only one or two shifts a week available. Perfect for a student in college/sixth form as this company really cares about education.

Superdrug2019-03-02
  5. "No Complaints"

Current Contractor - Sales Advisor in Hamilton, Scotland

I have been working at Superdrug for less than a year

Pros

1. Really nice people 2. Friendly and considerate managers 3. Discount card 4. Good amount of hours 5. Customer conversations

Cons

There is nothing I can say that's bad about that company. Maybe a small con could be that you get dirty easily with the amount of dust and dirty floors but that's about it. Depends on whatever shop you work in though, I can't imagine all Superdrug stores have dirty floors and dust everywhere.

Advice to Management

None.

Superdrug2019-01-31
  6. "Meh."

Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Ruislip, England

I have been working at Superdrug full-time for more than a year

Pros

30% discount on exclusive items and 10% everything else

Cons

No holidays from November 1st to January 1st, store missing vital equipment that are pretty much essential, management past store managers are hard to contact.

Advice to Management

Please give Ruislip store the equipment and security they need to prevent theft and rude customers.

Superdrug2018-10-21
  7. "Good at first"

I worked at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can choose your own shifts Employees were lovely and inviting Good discount

Cons

Poor pay Some members of management do not care Lack of overtime Frequently understaffed Put you down for shifts you didn’t agree to

Superdrug2018-09-22
  8. "Easy going job but it is hard to progress"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Superdrug part-time for more than a year

Pros

It is really easy going as a part time job - particularly for someone who is a student and can only work part time, it is rarely stressful and the tasks are fairly easy-going. People are nice and managers are fairly easy going.

Cons

It is hard to progress within the company and can become tiresome very early on. Sometimes the managers can be somewhat cliquey and the same people are often chosen to work the worst shifts (mainly young people without kids)

Advice to Management

To be fair when giving out shifts - the same people should not always be selected to work the later shifts or for promo changes. Such shifts should be circulated better.

Superdrug2018-09-18
  9. "Worth it"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England

I have been working at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team Good environment to work in

Cons

Better discount maybe 10% is the also student discount

Advice to Management

Smile, my manager was great tho

Superdrug2018-07-15

"Sales Advisor Experience"

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Croydon, England

I worked at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Some great peers - Some great customers -Employee discount (10% across everything, 30% Superdrug own brand & exclusive products) - Received some good support from management during my time there

Cons

- Some extremely moody & rude management most of the time (at my location at least, can't speak for all branches) - Overworked over contracted hours a lot of the time - As an under 18, my peers (also under 18) and I were not receiving the minimum break time amount as stated by law until I brought the issue up & was met with moody & reluctant responses from management

Superdrug2018-07-23
  11. "I was a sales advisor for 9 months. I enjoyed work at the beginning but over the months it really ran me down."

I worked at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

The co-workers are really lovely and make the environment more pleasant to be in. Staff discount is quite good, 30% off own brand, 10% of everything else. Majority of customers are also nice.

Cons

M A N A G E M E N T The managers really are horrible. My favourite manager left making it really hard to enjoy work. They constantly get you down. Don’t care about the employees only the targets. Targets ( star buys and beauty cards) are too much pressure which led to a lot of stress and upset amongst other employees.

Advice to Management

If you want to reduce your high staff turnover, start giving your employees the respect they deserve.

Superdrug2018-06-10