Superdrug "minimum wage" Reviews | Glassdoor

Superdrug Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Oct 17, 2019

3.1
Superdrug CEO Peter Macnab
Peter Macnab
Pros
Cons
  • "have to upsell "star buys" at the till constantly- get no reward or recognition for doing so(in 34 reviews)

• "Long hours, hard to maintain work/life balance(in 33 reviews)

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Easy shop job"

I worked at Superdrug

Pros

Nice staff Management are good

Cons

Have to up sale certain products at till Minimum wage

Superdrug2019-04-03

"Bad"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

30% discount on own brand products, 10% other.

Cons

Extreme pressure to sell Star Buys, Beauty Cards and Sim Cards with next to no training. I had to hunt down my staff discount card or this wasn't going to be issued to me. I was not given access to the online 'Hub' called 'The Edge' for further training and development. This meant that my product knowledge was limited due to lack of proper training. I had quite a few issues with the management in the store I worked... at and because I had no access to their 'Hub', I had to locate the number for HR and Head Office myself. This ended up costing me, £16+ in phone call charges because their offices are 0843 numbers which are not included in most phone plans. Management do not care about staff or customers for that matter. I have never worked anywhere where the customer was not the sole focus and service was not a priority. Some of the interactions I had witnessed between management and customers often made me cringe. I experienced a very clicky environment as a new staff member and also bullying. I loved shopping at Superdrug as a customer and was full of enthusiasm to start the role, this was shot down in flames at every opportunity and no encouragement or praise was offered. Management have no idea what they are doing and are very incompetent in all aspects of the job. Some of the offers are confusing to customers because of how they are worded. I was left on my own on the shop floor multiple times, while other staff members chatted in the back. You are required to stop and conduct a full body search for any suspected thieves, all for minimum wage. I have never worked anywhere so bad in my life and if you don't thrive in a negative, high pressure and competitive environment, with a poor wage packet and employee benefits then you will thrive. However, if you do actually care about people and customers, then this is not the place for you. Staff facilities are awful, filthy staff room and toilets that never get cleaned. Not allowed out on 15 minute break. Can't write notes on receipt paper due to 'shrinkage'. Expected to work 10 minutes prior to shift, without being paid, to act as a witness to 'count the safe'. Never taken off the shop floor when your shift is finished, left to serve customers while other staff members stand around talking and doing nothing. No consideration for the fact you're not getting paid and you might actually have a life outside of Superdrug. Management visibly disgruntled when they are summoned out of the office to actually do their job and issue a refund or exchange to customers. As a Sales Advisor you are not able to void anything over £5 or given any responsibility, resulting in queues and unhappy customers etc. Continuously searched after every shift, no trust is put in you as an employee. The list goes on...

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually care about their staff and customers. Create a positive environment where staff feel supported and encouraged to do well. Allow employees access to benefits and facilities they should have access to. Stop being so money hungry and focus on service, the sales with follow. Stop putting so much pressure on staff to sell sell sell, they are already trying their best, you offer no commission and... unfortunately you can't force people to buy things. By constantly pressuring staff to sell to customers, the customers become annoyed and it builds mistrust. Have trust in your staff and stop making them feel like thieves. Give staff adequate sales training and stop setting unachievable goals.

Superdrug2019-04-24
  3. "Completely horrendous and awful"

I have been working at Superdrug

Pros

Decent ish discount but they no longer give out cards so you have to find a way to get the discount yourself.

Cons

Minimum wage Breaks are too short Frequently underpaid Too much pressure to sell sim cards and beauty cards Team leaders don’t do a lot of work, they put it all onto the sales advisers Required to stand for too long Don’t care about staff Aren’t respectful and flexible with hours Not understanding of illnesses and absences Lots of online training is required unnecessarily

Advice to Management

Management get paid the most yet do the least. Wages should be raised and the staff should receive better treatment, rather than below average. Ran by profit hungry people who don’t care about customers or staff.

Superdrug2019-03-13
  4. "Friendly staff- poor pay"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Superdrug part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The group of colleagues I worked with were fantastic. Someone shiuls write a sit com about the antics. Staff discount was good- 30% on own brand. 10% on everything else. Also they gave us 2 discount cards- one for family.

Cons

It was minimum wage, selling tampons. c'mon no one wants to do it. But ut put me and many othera through University.

Advice to Management

Store management- keep uo the good job, maybe try rotate who does till 1, its an awful job. Corporate management- the stamps/top up targets need to be revised. Customers get confused when theyre buying deoderant and I ask "want some stamps?". Surely youre not making much profit on stamps, why are they pushed so heavily. Push bottles of water, theyre probably 90% profit.

Superdrug2018-08-17
  5. "First Job! (2 local stores - since I was 16)"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Sutton, London, England

I have been working at Superdrug part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Helpful staff Friendly atmosphere Decent Discount - could be improved (see cons) Selling products I have a genuine interest in My team really looked after me Short Shifts (4 hours) Easy to work around school! Good training Lots of chances to win prizes such as concert tickets and make up bundles, you also get to find the great buys e.g. £100+ worth of fake tan for just £3 as it was selling through!!

Cons

Discount for branded products is the same as student discount & other companies receive the same discount as us but we don't in their stores! (e.g. perfume shop & savers!) Depends on the store to how the team are (I was lucky for the most part, but in my first store my manager was awful!) Sometimes there were complications with timetables and wouldn't be told until the morning of changes! Minimum wage... pay! The hub training can be lengthy Repetitive work (although a pro for people who like routine)

Advice to Management

Improve wages, as the company is increasing in benefits but the hard working store team aren't earning much more than minimum wage! Especially the in store tems do not see as much of the benefits as head office do, e.g. trial products to try out and review, meaning we can't give honest advice to the customers who come in as not everybody can afford to try and buy products! Improve discount to 20% so we aren't... receiving the same treatment as students and others who do not work in Superdrug, and we should receive discount on our linked stores like the perfume shop and savers too! Christmas parties should be organised for the whole area by superdrug not th manager of store.

Superdrug2018-05-03
  6. "Trainee pharmacy dispenser"

Current Employee - Trainee Pharmacy Dispenser in Weymouth, England

I have been working at Superdrug full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New relaxed uniform policy

Cons

He said-she said atmosphere Bad management No way to contact HR Poor training Expectations too high of anyone lower than management The more you do the more that is expected Hypocrisy from managers - they don't follow certain rules Searched when you come in and out the building - which takes 5-10 minutes No trust in staff Bullied my managers 8 hour contract - I work up to 30 weekly but a weeks... holiday I get paid 8 Been told for 2 years we would receive new uniform Higher up will not fix A/Cs (boiling in summer) Pressure about working harder Stressful environment Minimum wage

Advice to Management

You need to trust your staff Do Not take your anger out on staff

Superdrug2018-03-10

"Absolutely horrible!"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time

I worked at Superdrug full-time for more than a year

Pros

Literally none. If I could leave less stars for management, I would. Superdrug tries to brainwash their staff into believing they are a part of something great.

Cons

- you're expected to stay longer for free. Management is not happy when you refuse - awful area manager - you're expected to constantly upsell and register beauty cards, yet bonuses are only for management, you get nothing - try to make you work when you're sick - management lie about you're responsibility. Try to make you to come to work when you're really sick and lie that you need a fit note for sickness... longer than 3 day (legally it's 7 days). One of my colleagues came in and was vomitting during a shift, because she was told she needed a note from her GP. - Try to stop you from going to toilet or drinking, not happy when you stand your ground - management lies and abuses their power - you literally get no training, except "training videos", yet you're expected to know things that aren't there. - promo change is absolutely absurd. Management gets angry if you don't want to stay beyond your scheduled time, even though you do not get paid for it. - management sits in the office all day and gets angry when needed on the shop floor - managers expect you to work 13 days straight and get angry when you say you won't - split shifts - rubish discount. You get 10% off. The same as student discount. Student discount is 20% every now and then, so you are getting less discounts than people who do not work for superdrug. - Team time. You have to come in for an hour and listen to your manager read notes that were send from headquarters. I couldn't care less how much profit Superdrug made last year. They still pay their staff minimum wage. - Constantly understaffed. - Not enough staff, cutting hours yet responsibilities grow every year. - management is not happy when you take full 1 hour lunch break (not paid 1 hour break when you work 9 hours). Try to persuade you into not taking a break and working for that hour, even though, you don't get paid.

Advice to Management

- You need to train your management and stuff better - You need to make sure that the management know the law and don't lie to staff about it. Expecting fit note for 3 day sickness is ridiculous and no gp wants to supply one. Expecting someone to come to work when they are vomiting is absolutely horrible and should not happen.

Superdrug2017-11-01

"Senior Managers in this company are nothing but bullies"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Superdrug full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good staff discounts, the days do go quick cause it's always busy, you get to gain a lot of product knowledge, most of the customers are lovely people who you build a great relationship with and the girls I've worked with have become close friends.

Cons

Short shifts so they don't have to give you a break, ridiculous standards when it comes to selling star buys (perfume). Management are rude and speak to you whatever way you like number of my colleagues are terrified of our manager and have been reduced to tears. Minimum wage pay for sales assistants.

Advice to Management

Don't take your mood swings out on your staff. More flexibility with rosters people have life's outside of work.

Superdrug2017-07-14
  9. "Good part time job"

Sales Adviser in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Superdrug

Pros

Good employee discount (30% on own brand) Management a good laugh

Cons

Minimum wage Constant pressure to meet sales targets and beauty card registration targets Small contract hours offered

Advice to Management

Be nice to employees and try and offer bigger contracts although this may be difficult for wage budget

Superdrug2017-04-11
  10. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Sales Adviser in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Superdrug part-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the team staff are friendly and approachable business values are great and the company aspires to be the best. You also receive staff discounts and rewards. As an employee I do feel valued and aspire to progress within the company. It's great for customer interaction and you learn a lot about the business environment.

Cons

Some people may find the tasks competitive Minimum wage pay rate or not very high pay But with the hours you get trust me the money isn't a problem

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

Superdrug2017-03-13