Superior Ambulance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
David B. Hill III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Potentially flexible schedule, ample overtime, decent coworkers (for the most part) I met some really good people here (in 5 reviews)

• They don't condone you for using them as a stepping stone to a fire department or nursing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management certainly doesn't care about finding the best and brightest (in 11 reviews)

• Nothing really to say, I don't really know what station managers are responsible for (in 5 reviews)

"Paramedic"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good stepping stone job. Plenty of available overtime. For private EMS in Illinois, it's hard to find better pay/benefits. While the turnaround is very high at this company, I will say that in the 7 years I was there, the terminations were always justified and the individuals I ran into saying they were "singled out" and whatnot were never very self aware people.

Cons

There's a constant stream of warm bodies rotating from newly hired to newly fired. Such large turnaround leads to putting a lot of less than desirable providers in ambulances.

Also, avoid a station manager position. It has the career life exptectancy of 6 months. Seriously, I had 18 managers in 7 years.

Advice to Management

I had 18 managers in 7 years. This company will never improve it's culture if it can't even keep it's managers.

"Turnover is over 100%. Run for the hills!"

Current Employee - Employee Relations Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Employee Relations Manager in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Superior appears to be a nice place to work and that you can have a nice career there. The orientation process for a whole week attempts to brainwash you into the “family”.

Cons

You quickly find out that the company is all about the executives. They make all of the money and everyone else gets substandard wages and benefits. Superior does not even have paid sick time for office workers! But, the executives can take off for months at a time with pay.

Advice to Management

You already know that you are way overpaid and under qualified. But, please try to enhance your skills or experiences to justify your bloated salaries. Try things new every once in a while rather than just trying to keep the status quo to protect your turf. And, maybe seriously try to have strategy for once rather than just fighting fires all of the time.

Superior Ambulance Response

Nov 27, 2017 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback as we take it seriously at Superior Ambulance. We have undergone tremendous growth in the past year. We are truly sorry to hear that your experience working here hasn’t... More

"Why work here when there are so many better comapnies around now!"

Current Employee - Station Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Station Manager in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is not difficult. Supervision is just adequate in the billing department. Elmhurst is convenient to get to. The company sounds like a good place to work but is very backward. Working here is like being back in the 1950's. They are hung up on dress code too.

Cons

Why are there always 100+ job openings? The answer is clear. It is bad executive management.

Management just increased health care premiums 10% for the 3rd year in a row. Why? I hear that the executives are giving themselves a huge bonus again too. So, employees do not get raises, but the Executives get our raises in their pockets. How nice for them! The healthcare plan is just ok, but the overall benefits package is way under-competitive. How can a company not have a Sick Pay plan nowadays? And where was HR to try to protect the employees?

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who knows about business. A new management team would know all about taking care of employees and making money at the same time. You are all way overpaid for your qualifications and abilities.

Superior Ambulance Response

Nov 27, 2017 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback as we have undergone tremendous growth in the past year. We are sorry to hear that your experience has not been positive.
    We encourage you to visit our Human Resource... More

4. "EMT-P"

Pros

Flexibility of being on road. Not locked down to a desk all day. Plenty of opportunity for over time.

Cons

Uncomfortable button down white shirts.

Advice to Management

Lose the white shirts !

"A good place to start"

Pros

The main benefit from working here is that it is something to put on your resume. I worked here for 6 months

Cons

Doesnt seem like you will be promoted. The company would rather hire someone new than promote someone

"JOKE"

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees are dedicated and that's it.

Cons

More than possibly can share. This company lies and steals from their employees on a daily basis. All they care about is image and treat/pay their employees like dirt. If zero stars were an option I'd choose zero, not even deserving of one star.

Advice to Management

get a clue you suck

7. "EMT-B"

Pros

They have very good benefits and wonderful health insurance for a decent price.

Cons

Short staffing, getting held over.

8. "Solid "Stepping Stone" Job"

Current Employee - EMT-B
    Current Employee - EMT-B

I have been working at Superior Ambulance part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential for virtually unlimited overtime pay, make your own schedule after working 3 months, intermittent 20-30 minute breaks.

Cons

RARELY get off less than 30 minutes after "off-time," very little actual emergency situations/boring

Advice to Management

Treat long-term employees better than "brand-new only here for a summer or two" employees.

9. "Basic patient care provider for patients."

Current Employee - EMT Basic in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - EMT Basic in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working special events, you get to learn how to care for patients, great gateway job, looks good on resumes, new experiences.

Cons

The pay is fairly low, despite the company being the highest paying private ambulance company, you don't get to respond to critical emergencies, the primary EMS system doesn't allow their EMT's to preform many skills that are basic skills in the state of Illinois.

"Experience"

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- good street experience
    - work as much as you want
    - meet lots of people
    - can get a lot of downtime depending on where you are that day
    - travel a lot and visit new place
    - good benefits

Cons

-management can be bad
    - no organization
    - bad pay
    - stupid rules, like certain hair cuts and must no beards

Advice to Management

chill out