Superior Ambulance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David B. Hill III

Pros
  • Potentially flexible schedule, ample overtime, decent coworkers (for the most part) I met some really good people here (in 5 reviews)

• If you're interested in flexible scheduling, comparable pay (in private ems), and enjoyable employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Station managers are required to work at least 50 hours a week (in 4 reviews)

• Unless you are dispatch favorite-good luck and don't make any plans because you'll never get out on time (in 3 reviews)

"Easy money but heavy work load at times"

Current Employee - Call Taker in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Call Taker in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime when needed, laid back at times, able to go on your personal phone on downtown. Easy to communicate with co workers.

Cons

Supervisors don't care about you or your personal schedule, no disciplinary actions taken when absolutely needed. Very understaffed at all times.

Advice to Management

Work with your employees more, raise the pay for the amount of work we actually do.

"Good as far as private EMS goes. Which is not far."

Current Employee - EMT-B in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Works with my schedule. Decent pay. I have worked with Superior for a long time and they are the best private company to work for in the Detroit area.

Cons

Inconsistent raises. Poor dispatch. With the recent shortage of EMS workers, Superior has lowered their standards. This is beginning to show with the calibur of employees on the road.

Advice to Management

Train road personal better. Train dispatchers to not cross cars. Have a road supervisor to make sure employees are not slacking off. This is making the good employees work hard to carry the slacker employees. This leads to burn out. Burn out leads to good people leaving. Then your stuck with nothing but slow and lazy employees.

3. "EMT-B"

Current Employee - EMT-B in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Superior Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay for EMT-B, Flexible schedule

Cons

Once in a while, you get a not so great partner.

Superior Ambulance Response

Apr 4, 2017 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We at Superior are always looking for ways to improve and happy that you enjoy our competitive pay and flexible schedule as an employee. We are grateful to have you as ... More

5. "Good place to get experience"

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Chicago, IL

I worked at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Ability to bid on additional work at a variety of stations
    - Gain valuable experience in health care

Cons

- Your job satisfaction depends on the working relationship with your partner

Advice to Management

No real advice to management. My experience was valuable and I appreciated the opportunity to gain health care experience. I think the way things are run and the flexibility afforded the staff make it an enjoyable place to work.

Superior Ambulance Response

Apr 4, 2017 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed working for Superior Ambulance. We appreciate your comments and recommendation. Though we are sad that you are no longer an employee of ... More

"The best worst option in Chicagoland"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Chicago, IL

I worked at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Full and part time positions
    - 24/48 hr scheduling options on contract, 24-hr cars on IFT side.
    - working alongside local FD companies
    - a "foot in the door opportunity" to get on with Fire-Based Services
    - Frequent overtime opportunities, opportunity to expand to special events

Cons

- Archaic SOPs
    - Poor Morale
    - Politics of working alongside fire neuters effective EMS at some stations.
    - Frequent Turnover
    - Junior Medics are paid poorly, with poor salary advancement options
    - Especially poor pay dependant on contract/ base station
    - No progressive accountability with medic performance
    - EMS education and Con-ED is a joke

Advice to Management

Salary history is unethical and deceptive business practice. Provide employees with fair wages.

"5 plus years I wasted"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flex Schedule! Great location is you live in the west suburbs! Great place for younger adults. Half hour lunch and breaks are 15 min.

Cons

Micro Management.... If you don't mind occasional overtime and mandatory Saturdays and working you like a dog for little pay! Countless amount of policy and rule changes! The managers curse you and Micro manage a lot! The open door policy is correct! When speaking with your manager it is not between you and him/her, the company will know! No Sick time, you have to use your vacation time for everything.

Advice to Management

Management have there family working there so advancement is a no if your not related or have been there 10+ years your stuck!

"Would not recommend long term"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Superior Ambulance full-time

Pros

Decent hours so if you worked a 24hr shift you can get the next 2 days off. Or you may only work 4 days in a row and have 3 days off.

Cons

Seriously-the tie? How do you expect paramedics to wear a tie. It's absolutely embarrassing. Some fantastic employees, but most are just burned out completely and it's so depressing. Dispatch gives Paramedics-basic calls in the middle of the night(yup they'll wake you) to do a hospital discharge to a mental facility. Unless you are dispatch favorite-good luck and don't make any plans because you'll never get out on time.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring warm bodies and change your image. You were so stuck on getting paid, reimbursed that you treat your employees like another number.

"A hire & fire company"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Oak Lawn, IL
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at Superior Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hourly pay was good for the Paramedics. Red Special event shirts would have been nicer with pockets.

Cons

Poor condition of the Ambulances, I've seen where others on here listed that nothing had been done after a unit was Yellow carded (maintenance needed). Bad EMTs & Paramedics, worse with Management through Superior. Promised sign on bonus, never got it! Avoid Superior Ambulance Illinois like a plague, the money IS NOT worth the aggrevation you will experience!

Advice to Management

Sell the company to another conglomerate like Falck or anyone that can treat their employees like human beings, not cattle to the slaughter!

"Good flexible job for musicians"

Current Employee - EMTB in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - EMTB in Chicago, IL

Pros

I am a musician so have been grateful to this company for the work and flexibility. This doesn't mean I don't work hard or car about my job. Actually, I really like the patients and they like me. But as a musician, I have found that the scheduling is flexible enough that I can manage both my music gigs and my full-time schedule with Superior and for that I am grateful. Good benefits.

Cons

Doesn't pay too well but benefits (health, dental, vision) are good.

Advice to Management

Educate employees about ways to get more training and move up, pay wise. Offer a part-time paramedic course (I would definitely be interested, even if I had to pay a fee).

"My experience was good overall"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Chicago, IL

Pros

Better pay rates now than when I first started a few years ago
    Scheduling is usually pretty flexible
    Got rid of the ties we used to have to wear and now have polos for summer months
    Good benefits with great insurance

Cons

High turn over, especially in the Chicago suburb stations
    Posting in parking lots gets old after awhile
    Initial uniforms are not cheap (but are deducted from payroll instead of out of pocket)
    Benefits are only available to full-time employees

Advice to Management

Consider benefits for part time/PRN employees
    Keep BCBS as insurance