Superior Court of California, County of Riverside Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 23, 2017

3.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Court Service Assistant"

Former Employee - Court Service Assistant II in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Court Service Assistant II in Riverside, CA

I worked at Superior Court of California, County of Riverside full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about the law while working for the Riverside Superior Court. I was able to learn different departments while I was working for the court. I was able to learn about Family Law, Civil, Probate, Small Claims and Criminal Law. I feel that working there was a good learning opportunity.

Cons

The managers at the Court that worked at need to have better people skills and they need to hear out their employee's. I think for the work that we did we deserved better pay.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee's fair and make sure to listen what they have to say.

2. "Court Services Assistant"

I have been working at Superior Court of California, County of Riverside full-time

Pros

Health Benefits, paid holidays, vacation and sick time

Cons

Budgetary issues, understaffed, disorganized, low morale

Advice to Management

Improve morale through positive feedback, hold meetings to address concerns or new procedures to ensure communication and answer questions.

3. "Enhanced Collections Assistant"

Former Employee - Enhanced Collections Assistant in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Enhanced Collections Assistant in Riverside, CA

I worked at Superior Court of California, County of Riverside full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, paid holidays and friendly coworkers

Cons

Glorified data entry with poor management. Supervisor was HORRIBLE and later let go after ending my probation.

4. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Court Services Assistant II in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Court Services Assistant II in Riverside, CA

Pros

I worked there for seven years. Atmosphere is very professional, staff and management was great. Comprehensive new-hire and ongoing certificate training offered. Overall, I had a great experience working there, and would probably still be if my family and I didn't have to relocate.

Cons

Not really a "con" but employees are definitely held to a high standard, as we should be since we are providing a public service. Parking is horrendous and expensive ($65 a month to park in the parking structure). Coffee, tissues and water are not provided (I've been spoiled after having worked in the entertainment industry where you have access to free cappuccinos, juices and bottled water!)

Advice to Management

Conduct staff meetings more regularly and more often. It's the only time we can really gauge our performance as a team than just as individuals. To hear management feedback as a team, I think would really give us more of an incentive to collaborate and offer each other support, which I felt was really lacking.

"Toxic, dysfunctional work environment. avoid at all costs!"

I worked at Superior Court of California, County of Riverside full-time

Pros

Stable job with lots of protection if you can make it past your 1 year long probation period.

Cons

I worked at more than one location for this agency. I experienced very similar things with the people who worked at both places. Absolutely toxic work environments with abusive co-workers who know they'll never get in trouble or get fired for what they're doing. Permanent employees with more seniority hate new employees so they'll train them incorrectly on purpose to set them up to fail. I also could not believe the way members of the public were treated when they were calling in to resolve issues with their cases. Every negative stereotype of government employees applies here.

The court has a tendency to hire WAY more people than they actually need. Don't be surprised if you're laid off right before your probationary period ends. Random lay offs, transfers, and terminations are very common here. They hire a ton of people, realize they've messed up, and start letting people go.

As far as management is concerned- training might be good if your individual supervisor is nice, but generally you're not given clear (or even honest) feedback about your performance. If they're telling you you're doing a good job, be careful believing it, especially if you're on probation.

Which lasts an entire year, which is very long even for a government job. So you aren't even permanent until an entire year passes upon being hired.

A lot of people believe that government jobs are a safe bet. They might be anywhere else but here.

Advice to Management

You need to do something about the way your employees treat each other. I observed, and experienced, behavior that just shouldn't have occurred in an agency like this.

6. "court services"

Current Employee - Court Services Assistant III in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Court Services Assistant III in Riverside, CA

Pros

great work atmosphere, promotional opportunities, exceptional benefits, great community area.

Cons

there is some nepotism there and favoritism.

Advice to Management

to always hold department meetings where employees are free to speak and give suggestions comments that would benefit the department in running smoother.