Supermedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Supermedia Reviews

Updated March 2, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Benefits are good, although they used to be better (in 45 reviews)

• Employee pay and benefits are industry average (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Yellow pages is a thing of the past (in 43 reviews)

• Too many company name changes, financial problems and bankruptcy (in 8 reviews)

"Unsatisfactory"

Current Employee - Inside Media Consultant in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Inside Media Consultant in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Supermedia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people. Full benefits. Health Insurance. 401k. Paid time off. Paid holidays etc.

Cons

Nobody wants their product. 90% of the companies profits come from yellow pages which nobody uses anymore. Company is scrambling like mad to sell electronic advertising. Their offering is weak and they want customers to sign a one year contract for online advertising. Which makes people very suspicious. If the advertising worked, wouldn't the customer continue to renew it on a month to month basis? But making them sign something that says they are going to the company say $3000 every 30 days for a year whether it works or not is fishy. Company once had good bonuses but that has all been eliminated. Used to be a great place to work. It's one of the worst now. Stay away.

Oct 2, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi. We're sorry to hear about the dissatisfaction you've outlined regarding the company and products offered. We would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns as we certainly want employees to ... More

"Avoid Supermedia or Dex Media or whatever name they are going by at all costs."

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were OK. The potential for earning money was always there, but the product fulfillment issues, the abusive price hikes and the company's unwillingness to be flexible with clients made it very hard to keep those commissions or the clients.

Cons

Flavor of the week product pushing which would wreck existing client relationships, the constant "I'm not threatening your job, I'm just saying what could likely happen..." sort of management, the micromanaging but at the same time, complete cluelessness about what is going on or what the sales reps are working on. One manager told me they really couldn't see the details of what a rep put in to the CRM software. Great.

Product fulfillment that never happens right, and there's very little way to correct it or make it right for the client. The prices that are so far out of line with the market that it's almost laughable. The company is top-heavy with managers who are left over from when the yellow pages was a desirable and viable product, who are all scrambling to hang on to their jobs by pointing the fingers at the reps...it was akin to blaming the cattle for bleeding on the slaughterhouse floor when clients left angry because of an 8% price increase, or the company not canceling their account and still demanding payment for those extra months, or the annual dance of meeting a new sales rep/media consultant/marketingconsultant/whatever the company thinks is the right name and then hearing about how the product which is not delivering results is actually -- according to this data that the company provides -- working great.

Many of the managers, and most of the trainers I encountered, actually could not sell well at all -- the head of training in my office had no clue about real challenges, and would reply with "just say this..." and recite something that would really just insult the client.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple: stick with what works, stop forcing clients into "bundles", keep your existing client base -- which is 80% small and medium sized businesses -- happy by working with them the way they work with all of their clients: we present ourselves as the advertising agency for small businesses, then we should actually be the advertising agency, not just an advertising big-box style warehouse.

Don't make promises and then back out on them, like that Del Vegas horror show sales incentive that was canceled after hyping it to everyone ("we're all going to Vegas for a three day trip! All of us!"...."Pack your bags, 'cause we're going!"..."oh, um...we aren't going, but you people are just the best and we really mean it."

Get rid of your old cronies who are still hanging around from the Verizon and Bell Atlantic days.

Unless you're in front of the client and listening to what that client complains about, don't decide your financial losses are the result of unskilled reps.

You had a team of great reps, who knew the market inside and out, and instead of seeing how to capitalize on that, you simply took the approach of "that's not what our data says..."

And hey, cute online reputation management responses to the reviews. I know, you're glad I enjoyed some of my time at the job. That's nice.

Aug 21, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, we're sorry to hear that your overall experience with the company was not satisfactory for you. Be assured that we encourage all feedback, from past and current employees as it's the only way we ... More

3. "Great work environment"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Tyler, TX

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked from home so I didn't have to go into an office very often.

Cons

Nothing really, could use better annual pay increases than 1-2%.

Advice to Management

Better annual pay increases than 1-2%.

Jul 21, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

We appreciate your service as a former employee and also for taking the time out to provide your review. Thank you! Ed

5. "Good company - hard work"

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Erie, PA

I have been working at Supermedia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

constant change - growth opportunity if you are willing to relocate

Cons

no control over future - unless relocating

Jul 29, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Yes, with hard work comes fruitful gains. We try to offer growth opportunities across the board, whether they are locally or involve relocating. Thank you for your review and we appreciate your ... More

"Scampering to stay profitable in a declining market."

Former Employee - Real Estate and Facilities in Middleton, MA
    Former Employee - Real Estate and Facilities in Middleton, MA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Management scattered throughout the company. Strong sense of teamwork.

Cons

The company was in it's glory about 30 years ago and has been adjusting to the changing marketing environment since. Paper phone books are becoming a thing of the past and so is Supermedia. Attempts are being made to be current and profitable but at the cost of employee reduction,

Advice to Management

Stay innovative.

Jul 21, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Thank you kindly for posting your review. We welcome all feedback as it means a lot while the company moves forward into the future. Ed

"Not long for this world"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Supermedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was similar to that in the technology sector. Very competitive

Cons

This company can't adapt with the times. When I was hired, they stated they were making a push to go heacy into technology. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Leadership are all holdovers from the days when people relied on the yellow pages to find information. They simply cannot adapt with the times

There is an old school sales mentality throughout the organization and it is poisonous. I was offered a promotion into the sales division and I knew immediately I didn't want it. There is no work/life balance on that side of the house.

There is no chance for any advancement. This is a dying industry and they can't get out of their own way.

Advice to Management

Figure out how you are going to advance the company. There is no exit strategy. Make a strong push into new ventures or you will be dead in 5 years.

Aug 21, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi, as a current employee, we definitely want to hear how you truly feel regarding your employment situation and your outlook about the company. The information you've provided will help us as we ... More

"Sumermedia - Marketing Consultant"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Ontario, CA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is making a late effort to bring new internet products to market to stem loss the of it's print clients.

Cons

The company is hurting financially as evidenced by 2 bankruptcy fillies in recent years. Marketing consultants are micromanaged daily.

Sep 2, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We apologize for the delayed response to your review. Be assured that we greatly appreciate the commitment that you offered as an employee and the feedback provided in your review. Thank you, Ed.

"Great people; lacks leadership vision"

Former Employee - Marketing Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated people; long heritage and commitment to serving the customers

Cons

Leadership uses intimidation and allows petty politics to thrive
    CEO is stuck in the 1980's in his thinking.
    Business is declining with no end in sight and is sustaining itself through mergers and industry consolidation.

Advice to Management

To the BOD: Why allow legacy leaders to run a company that needs to transform for the next generation; Too many people/customers and families depend on this company for their livelihood. Get leaders in place that are dedicated to turning the business/industry around.

"Supermedia rips off clients!!!"

Former Employee - Salesperson in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Chicago, IL

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They successfully use high-pressure sales techniquesto sell advertising.

Cons

.This company is deceptive, it lies, it distorts, it does anything to get your money. I know, until recently I worked for them in their Chicago office selling advertising. I have never been with a company that was so deceptive in its practices. Their practices can best be described as predatory.

Advice to Management

Try telling the truth!

11. "Good Money, but you'll earn it"

Former Employee - Multimedia Consultant in Middleton, MA
    Former Employee - Multimedia Consultant in Middleton, MA

I worked at Supermedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can earn 75k fairly easily, great benefits & car allowance. Good equipment & training, Salesforce is King

Cons

Tough work life balance - expect you in field @ 8AM - ok if your territory is nearby, if you need to travel to downtown Boston can be more difficult.