Support.com PTE Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 16 reviews

1.1
Support.com CEO Richard Bloom
Richard Bloom

"Work from home, fun, good experience, entry level, low pay"

I worked at Support.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good entry level tech job, work from home, can gain good customer service + tech experience in a short amount of time. Occasionally there may be some opportunities to move up or around in the company to gain additional experience, but there are limited chances for that, and you have to go through the HNS side of the company (which pays significantly less and has much more difficult customers).

Cons

This is a call center that specializes in tech support for end users, thus expect it to be run like a call center - lots of metrics, tons of calls, high expectations, low pay, high turnover. While working from home is great in some ways, it gets old after a while and makes it difficult to separate work from the rest of life.

Advice to Management

Provide sales incentives in the way of commission (negotiate for it with your partners). It will make you more money and keep agents working hard and content.

Support.com2016-05-30

"Don't Care About Their Employees"

Current Employee - PTE in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Support.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work from home, benefits..That is all

Cons

Management, Pay, no reward for seniority

Advice to Management

I have been working for SDC for over 8 years. When I was first hired was promises of raises in the future as things were still getting off the ground. Here I am 8 years and several CEOS later and the word "Raise" is like a bad word. My advice to management would be to keep up with inflation at least. Is coming down to where I will not be able to afford to work here and I am sure they do not care as another group of... newbies is always a training class away and am easily replaceable in their eyes.

Support.com2019-02-05

Support.com Response

February 25, 2019Support.com Leadership Team

Thank you for your feedback. As a tenured employee, you have seen the development of the pay for performance program, which allows our employees to control their own pay. We have a standard hourly rate and then the pay for performance program which is available to all employees. ...

"Horrible Company"

Current Employee - PTE

I have been working at Support.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home and that is it.

Cons

This company is by far the worst I have EVER worked for. Been there 2 years and not one raise. The bonus they push at you is not worth the effort. And when and if you do make bonus they use that against you to see if you are cheating or doing something wrong then pick you apart to find a reason not to give you the bonus you earned. Stay away from this degenerate of a company, the management is heartless and... cruel. They laid off half the employees last year just before Christmas. They treat all employees like garbage and use you and then get rid of you. The metrics system is basically a way to tear you down even if you do do well like I said above they take it and then investigate you every month you get it to see how you are either cheating or to pull the bonus. They moved hundreds if not thousands of jobs off shore and fire the American workers to save a nickel and the off shore techs are dumb as rocks and have lost clients because of that.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone that cares about it's employees because you don't.

Support.com2017-09-06

"Personal Technology Expert"

PTE in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Support.com

Pros

Work from home - Open 24/7

Cons

have to work multiple tickets at a time on the phone with a customer and working multiple PC's at the same time - very stressful - low pay - no raises, ever - have to be available at all times - 2 15 min breaks and 1/2 hr lunch - other then that you are working every minute - mass layoffs with no warning due to outsourcing to India and Manila - go to log in and passwords don't work - you just got fired - No growth

Support.com2016-12-28

"Only if you're desparate"

I worked at Support.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Medical dental life benefits. Work from home. Several Board members were replaced recently as part of hostile takeover.

Cons

Those benefits are expensive, have high deductibles and co-payments, and benefit rate is only 70% after deductible. You are never asked about a transfer to another tenant. Its always voluntold. Management has been taking millions a year in compensation for years, but drove agent pay from 14.00/hr down to $10.00/hr, all while the stock dropped from over $7/share down to 80 cents/ share. Going under a $1/share got... them put on notice by NASDAQ.They also went thru a hostile takeover recently as a result of poor management. Management cant be trusted by employees or shareholders in my opinion. Comcast is over 75% of the companies income, so management will do anything Comcast wants. Google Comcast customer service to see what the public thinks of Comcast. You will probably be providing Comcast customer service if you are hired. The callers will usually be hostile and abusive toward you because they are angry with Comcast.

Advice to Management

Practice ethics and integrity as part of your management. Live up to your fiduciary obligations for your shareholders and employees.

Support.com2016-10-03

"Over Worked & Under Paid"

Current Employee - PTE in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Support.com full-time

Pros

Work from home, no other benefits at all.

Cons

Zero raises, Zero chance for advancement, currently working well over 20 tenants with hundreds of different services with next to NO training. SDC's idea of training is giving you a 30 min video to watch then a 5 question test and then expecting you to start doing 20 different things while doing a thousand other things.

Advice to Management

Pay more, give raises and stop outsourcing. All I hear all day from customers is that they cannot understand the other person they were talking to. OUTSOURCING is a BAD BAD business module that companies keep implementing just to make a penny more but destroys the company name and well being in the process, called GREED!

Support.com2016-07-29

"RUN! If you have any morals or ethics."

Former Employee - PTE in Tampa, FL

I worked at Support.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At one point it was the freedom of working from home, until it became slave labor

Cons

Current positions with SDC (RST) unfortunately require no technical knowledge and are best suited for the uneducated wanting a "tech" job. It is purely customer service, working with irate Comcast customers, who are dumped into the system from overseas. They are now not even utilizing their own name in the recruitment for these positions. New CEO same backhanded tactics towards employees. The worst downside to... working at SDC is the absolute lack of responsibility management feels towards its employees. Concerns and complaints are met with deaf ears, unless they choose to tell you simply to suck it up and work. Policies are changed surreptitiously behind the scenes when they counter management's edicts (such as when they subtly changed the online employee manual after the manual was shown to prevent mandatory overtime) without any acknowledgement that they have done so. Promises made to the employees upon hiring and throughout their career, such as raises when the company is profitable (denied raises, differential was cut, CEO pleaded poverty then immediately cashed out over a million in stock options, while getting quarterly bonuses for simply doing his job,) or never outsourcing work (most of our work is now outsourced, and despite being promised multiple times that break-fix work will not be outsourced, it is now currently being outsourced supposedly because of our clients' wishes,) and always putting service first (we were always told our primary goal is to resolve the CX's issues and now we are shackled by timers,) these were all broken, and, with the previously stated tendency to edit policies in an Orwellian manner (behind the scenes edits with no disclosure that things have changed coupled with outright denial that things have been changed when directly asked) makes the management at best seem untrustworthy and at worst like it is specifically trying to cause chaos and havoc amongst the employees (such as when Voluntary Time Off (VTO) is available and it gets thrown out first-come, first-served now, causing hard feelings between people, while it used to be doled out via the Supervisors, who could then decide amongst their teams who should / could get.) Part and parcel of the lack of responsibility is the lack of uniform policy to deal with X or Y. We are taken to task for not knowing that policy has changed or been updated (almost always without notice or information.) Alerts often come days or weeks after changes have been discovered and disseminated to us through our work chat rooms. If a change requires us to do something, we are rarely given more than two days notice to accomplish tasks, despite possibly being unavailable and/or on time off. Be expected to take on more and more responsibility and learn new things without any recompense. You will be told how valuable you are to the company while they increase your workload and do not provide even the most basic cost-of-living raise to your pay. Despite the fact that they are using YOUR utilities, YOUR internet, YOUR equiment, YOUR furniture and facilities, they will continue to take from you and expect more of you while giving nothing more than the basic compensation they started you at. Training at this company is barely worth noting. Initial training is paid, which is nice, and is fairly easy-going and informative, but does not reflect actual work environment. Subsequent training involves watching a video or, on the rare occasion a trainer can be spared, listening to the trainer talk about his rig and/or pop culture and/or relative connection speeds with little to no time spent on actual fact or necessary information, other than what we are already assigned to read / watch on our own. Company mantra towards training is "Google it". This also includes that many are expected to fix systems and devices they have little-to-no training or experience with (Apple, mobile devices) or that are not yet considered suitable for use with work (Windows 8 OS.) How are we supporting things that we are encouraged not to use or cannot use? Things that we don't even have virtual demos for? It's strongly implied, however that you should seek these virtual boxes on your own and assume all personal risk and responsibility therein. Metrics are based on easily-gamed numbers and denial of service. One of the pros of a job like this is to fix what's broken, whether out of loyalty to a customer or the desire to overcome an obstacle. I understand there needs to be limits regarding this. However, now it is strongly encouraged to ignore obvious problems that are unrelated to the customer's original problem (e.g. you see the CX is woefully out of date on several commonly-used programs, but that has nothing to do with the adware that's slowing their system down, so just ignore the possible security risks and conflicts.) Also, we are strongly advised to not even speak with customers and build rapport, so we can eliminate more time. While using scare tactics to sell un-needed software and services. Finally, metrics goalposts, which are part of their new pay scheme, are constantly shifting upwards, eliminating any chance for a "performance bonus" except by those who game the system. They have in the last year hired hundreds of techs only to fire them due to their losing yet again another contract. Since this action SDC's stock value has plummeted 70%. So RST's here's to hoping you can swim.

Advice to Management

Out source management. Off shore ppl's need American executive level jobs too!

Support.com2014-06-10

"Massive layoffs"

Current Employee - PTE in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Support.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Real Work from home, Great coworkers and sups

Cons

Seems upper management has no clue

Advice to Management

Quit

Support.com2014-03-17

"Your salary will be cut, not increased."

Current Employee - PTE

I have been working at Support.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people on my team

Cons

Constant outsourcing of jobs off shore. You won't get an in increase in pay, no one has in 4 years. They recently demoted 100+ and cut their salary.

Advice to Management

Keep firing yourselves, you need to fire more people than just the CEO.

Support.com2014-02-27

"Another corporate machine designed to maximize revenue for shareholders at the expense of employees."

Former Employee - PTE in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Support.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

PTE (tier 2) training was solid. Work from home aspect is nice. Tier 2 and 3 techs are generally very competent and easy to get along with.

Cons

Sales are all outsourced, barely speak English, and make big promises to customers that technicians are often physically incapable of fulfilling. Technicians are required to upsell and support subscriptions to useless software that is known for breaking operating system functionality. Management requires technicians to lie to customers in order to retain sales. Upper management is laughably out of touch... with how field operations actually work. Supervisors are all privy to different bits of information and may have vastly different methods and requirements than other supervisors. Tier 1 techs are generally poorly trained and mostly exist to follow a flow chart and give customers an illusion of value. Medical benefits plan was good until recently when costs doubled. Little to no room for advancement. After years of promising raises when the company became profitable, take-home pay was actually slashed instead, while the CEO walked away with millions in bonuses. After two years of service, hundreds were laid off to make room for more $9/hr tier 1 script-readers. There was no warning. This is after management promised several times that there would be no layoffs in the forseeable future.

Advice to Management

There's nothing anyone can say at this point. The company is clearly set on a path toward maximizing revenue at the cost of customer and employee satisfaction, essentially defecating where it eats. I expect it will go under within the next few years.

Support.com2014-01-18