Support.com Tech Support Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard Bloom

"Horrible freaking job"

Current Employee - Tech Support Representative in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Support.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Weekends off during training is the only pro in this entire company

Cons

I am pregnant. I got a warning for missing 3 days for medical issues. Then I was told I am under investigation for taking to many bathroom breaks. The pay isn’t even enough for how strict they are!!

Advice to Management

Work at home jobs are supposed to be flexible. Your team leads are rude and I won’t recommend this job to anyone.

Support.com2018-08-12

August 20, 2018Support.com Leadership Team

Like all employers we do have attendance policies for all employees, but we also provide our employees with accommodations when they are brought to our attention. We offer a variety of flexible schedules to our employees; full-time 32-40 hours, part-time 20-29 hours, split shifts (where applicable), long lunches, school schedules, and a plethora of opportunities to change schedules with another employee(s). We also have a very unique shift auction process that allows and employee to have a new schedule each week if that is what they choose. If we have a situation where an employee is missing during his/her shift we review the reasons and act appropriately. We are sorry your time with SDC was not as flexible as you expected, thank you for your feedback.

"Keep looking"

Current Contractor - Remote Support Tech RST in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Support.com for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home, save gas money by not having to commute. Great cafeteria (ie. your own kitchen).

Cons

Minimum wage, no raises EVER, Frequent shift/team changes, 12+ supervisors in 5 years. No paid sick time, Horrible medical insurance. Back to back calls from mostly irate customers that have been stuck on hold for 20+ minutes due to poor staffing. Inconsistent subjective weekly call quality rankings - impossible to achieve 100% and ranking usually conflicts with QA notes, ie: "Confident, friendly tone. Showed... empathy and took ownership of problem, Asked probing questions. Advised caller of self help options. Resolved problem to customer satisfaction,. Ranking - barely met objectives. 47.5%"

Advice to Management

Stop changing hours and supervisors so frequently. Allow teams/supervisors to get to know one another and bond. Offer better compensation and benefits so employees will stay and you will not be short staffed - this will result in a better customer and employee experience.

Support.com2018-08-15

"Toxic Culture; Unethical Company"

Former Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Memphis, TN

I worked at Support.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is *technically* above minimum wage, and there *are* benefits available to full-timers. They're a little pricey but worth it IMO; Flex accounts are an option as well. 401k is available BUT no company match so pfffft you're better off buying crypto and hodling. Work from home is awesome, but that's not really unique to this company, especially as WFH continues to become more commonplace in general. I worked... there almost three years and in the beginning the job was still Tier 2 support for a major US Internet provider AND employees were provided (more or less) adequate tools to do their jobs - you know, fix the service people were paying big bucks for on a monthly basis. It wasn't perfect but then, nothing is; I was proud to be a part of what we did because we were allowed to help everyday people with often limited technical abilities to get back up and going as quickly as possible with minimal inconvenience or risk of incurring extra charges. What happened? Well, keep reading....

Cons

No raises - literally every time that was brought up to management in my presence, the person posing the question was laughed at heartily and told if you want a raise, get another job (inside or outside) the company. There *are* "pay for performance" incentives but the way they are calculated, while proprietary and closely guarded with respect to specifics, is always being adjusted without warning or explanation... (I won't go into how I know this, but anyone paying attention to their daily stats will notice wild fluctuations in rank that simply don't make sense unless the algorithms computing rank are being toyed around with). Handle time is by far the most influential of the stats that determine who is ranked highest, incentivizing getting rid of a customer ASAP versus providing them with the best, most complete fix within one's ability. Booo! QA is virtually meaningless as of 9 months ago or so. I resigned myself to only ever scoring a max of 50/100 (used to ace them almost always, never was given decent guidance on this once rules changed, and neither were any coworkers with whom I spoke on the topic; didn't matter much, since they made it weigh so much less in the overall computation anyway, I could still score straight 50% on QA for a month and hit bonus-able rank anyhow). How did I do this? Well, it's easy. They reworked what tools were available to us (read: we went from "somewhat technical" (in an entry-level-configure-your-router-using-its-gui-config-tool) simple, but relatively powerful and direct way of being able to diagnose and resolve issues to the dumbed-down kiddie read-from-a-script-and-let-it-guess-what-is-wrong way of being able to...well, do very, very little except burn the customer's time and break the news that they will need a service call which "might" cost $60. Gone are the days that an RST can fix things as an SDC employee. Now, they are simply generating largely unneccessary 60 dollar technician fees for the provider rhyming with ROMblast. Did I mention that the max amount we can refund for improperly charged technician fees - yes, legitimately improper, as in, it was an issue on the ISP's infrastructure, not the customer's fault but they got a $60 hit anyway - is $20? So your hands are tied, you have to recommend the service call, their hands are tied if they want the service they're already paying for, so they go "alright I GUESS", they call back once issue is determined to be one they did NOT cause in order to contest this $60 fee they don't really owe, and you can apologize and refund ONE THIRD of the money and not a penny more? I'm sorry, that's outright theft. SDC knowingly participates in this. If you try to assist the customer by being honest, have another job lined up, because they will simply change your passwords and send an email to the last email address they have on file that's a non-work address. don't expect a conversation with your boss. Mine acted like it was all rosy straight through my termination, never gave me a verbal or written warning, nothing, nada, zilch. I literally received a pay-for-performance bonus payout on the check that was direct deposited into my account the same week of my termination. I wasn't even ever given a reason for said termination, just sent a PDF "termination" packet. It's getting worse and worse over there too, almost everyone with any technical knowhow has jumped ship, and they're losing the few supervisors they did have that displayed any level of competence or had any people skills or personality whatsoever just as quickly. Did I mention that they have absolutely zero redundancy built into their pathetic network? OOOHH yeah buddy - when an SDC tool tanks, you can bet they all tank at once. All eggs in one basket - a shoddily crafted, rickety, pathetic basket. The sooner this company tanks entirely, the better, no one at the helm deserves to do anything but sink with this ship. Not a one.

Advice to Management

Take a long, hard look at everything you are doing, and do the exact opposite. $1000 says that pitiful stock of yours will start producing a desirable graph (you know, the opposite of the kind ya'll have had for an awful long time?). You want the trendline to point UP as you go right across the graph, in case you had forgotten. Heh. SDC == Stock Doesn't Climb. Respect your employees. Don't lie when a tool... disappears forever and tell 1000 people it's going to be back after they "fix the security issues" when you know full well it's gone for good. Give people due process before terminating them. I'm really of the mind that I was illegally terminated and am considering whether I want to pursue it or not, not to do anything for myself, but to make sure you have much less of a chance or inclination to do or try such a thing in the future. I gave ya'll almost three years, and I wasn't a slouch either, I did my best for the customer on the other end and it actually made you mad enough to can me with no warning. Very uncool. I'd say I hope karma is kind to you but we'd all know I was lying, and I didn't get fired for lying. I got fired for being honest. I think. Ya'll really never did say.

Support.com2018-08-02

August 6, 2018Support.com Leadership Team

We value the comments of the individual, however, they are not quite accurate. We are an organization who has changed as our industry changes, and with change comes some degree of unrest with tenured employees. We strive as an organization to prepare our employees for change, however, as much as we educate and update our employees, some do not understand the change in industry or chose not to accept this change – and we understand. The role is not for everyone; it is more customer centric, more guided and less free-flowing. But, as has always been the case our employees are our number one concern, and all efforts to improve are based upon feedback from our employees. • We are a pay for performance organization, so it is correct our hourly rate has not changed, however our P4P changes due to changes in our business, and more opportunities arise for P4P payouts • We never rely on just one metric, nor is Average Handle Time our main metric. However, this is important to our clients and our customers; efficient resolution • Our clients’ needs have changed over the years, as have our roles in the support industry. Newer tools provide us with new opportunities to assist the customer in a less technical manner • QA is equally important, as our customers deserve to be treated in a professional and efficient manner. Our QA goals are industry standard, with a high emphasis on customer satisfaction • Our tools allow for guided paths, one of the most effective ways to diagnose common problems. Those problems outside of scope are still researched by our technical “gurus”, of which we are very proud of their technical prowess • Our goal on each and every call is to avoid a “truck roll”. It is the role of the RST to provide technical support to resolve customer issues, NOT send a technician to the residence • The only time an employee is relieved of his/her duties without going through our progressive disciplinary action process, is IF the employee participates in gross misconduct behaviors that jeopardize our customers or clients. We do escalate these situations to Final Written Warning or separation depending upon the egregious nature of the situation • No employee is terminated without a thorough review of his/her action. All employees are completely aware of any disciplinary actions taken or the reason for his/her separation from our organization. We are committed to work with each employee when issues arise to ensure we are thorough in our review, giving our employees every opportunity to explain the situation • Our supervisor pool has increased, not decreased. We are proud of our supervisors and ensure they have the training they need to be successful • We have many roles and opportunities for advancement, it is up to the individual employee to seek these advancement opportunities out and show us their desire to move forward in the company, we want all of our employees to advance if that is their desire. Each role has a different pay scale, so compensation advancement exists in all roles Thank you for your feedback.

"remote technician"

Former Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Miami, FL

I worked at Support.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

work at home easy and relaxing

Cons

horrible pay, horrible customer support, horrible professionalism

Support.com2018-07-19

July 23, 2018Support.com Leadership Team

I am sorry your experience with SDC was not a positive one for you. We do not hide our pay structure, we talk about it extensively in our interview process, so that our employees are informed. We pride ourselves in our customer support, and have won numerous awards for the efforts of our employees. Feedback is critical, and we take each posting and examine it against our core values to see where we can improve. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you well in your new endeavors outside of SDC.

5. "Don’t work for them, you’ll regret it!"

Former Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Support.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to work from home.

Cons

Everything else about the job.

Advice to Management

Just close up shop. Your reputation is too bad to continue playing games with people.

Support.com2018-06-27

June 28, 2018Support.com Leadership Team

We pride ourselves in the fact that we take all feedback and research the concerns received. While this is not a position for everyone, the 2200 employee we have are making a difference in the lives of our customers. We continue to strive to employee every employee experience.

"the pay is so low its ridiculous"

Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Austin, TX

I have been working at Support.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

they hired me, i bring life into this company . the metrics are easy to meet and the systems are easy to use.

Cons

the pay, the ridiculous miss 60 minutes and your fired it doesnt matter if someone burnt your house while you were in it took you hostage stabbed you 15 times, if your not in chat or logged in your pretty much dead to them . the pay is ridiculous they say you ll get paid one thing then they pay another plus they say they give you reimbursement and dont actually do it . they rob you of time . for what??? so they can... save money and earn more for the big ceos, i bet the ceos dont have to take out loans or go behind on their rent or bills so they can feed their kids. as a single mom i have to have two jobs just to cover the expenses to have this job. internet phone modem lease fees, extra electicity, i thought working from home would be less stressful but id rather spend the gas to go out and work then to stay home and use extra energy and rack up a bill in internet,plus buy extra monitors and things, that we only get 50 cents for.

Advice to Management

please pay your workers more.esp if they work for a client that has had bad reviews so bad the name sends people away.they want us to be the upmost polite and respectful person which i can do because i like speaking with people to solve problems, but you pay us in lunch money . please pllleeeaseeee pay your employers more how can you live on 8.00 an hour??? esp if its barely enough to cover our own internet bill????

Support.com2018-05-19

May 30, 2018Support.com Leadership Team

We do display our training wage and starting production wage in all of our job posting, so that everyone is aware of the pay prior to interview. We also discuss this heavily during our interview process. All of our hourly employees who work from home are provided a reimbursement for using their own equipment. Many people have a difficult time recognizing this on their paystub as it is a non-taxable reimbursement, therefore it reflects as a separate line item. As with most employers, we do ask for perfect attendance during the training period, as this is critical to your success. All of our training is conducted in a virtual classroom setting and cannot be made up. Missing more than 60 minutes of a 4 week training program makes it difficult to be successful. We expect good attendance from our employees, however we do realize things may happen that are outside of one's control and we review and discuss each situation on an individual basis. Having reliable ISP is essential as again this is a work from home position.

"Poor pay, confusing training, inflexible, treats employees horribly"

Current Employee - Comcast Tech Support

I have been working at Support.com full-time

Pros

Working from home, that's about it

Cons

I looked through the other reviews and the replies from Support.com and thought I would address some things I see. The pay is horrible, yes you are advised of the pay beforehand, but it is much under business standards. There are absolutely no raises, there is a chance of an extra $150 per month, but only if you are in the top 10% of the rather astringent metrics. You use all of your own equipment, and are... credited an extra 50 cents per an hour. Including the equipment credit, training pay is $9, production is $10.25 for the Comcast Tech Support. There are no sick days, you will work any holiday that falls on a production day. There is no unpaid time off for any reason. You will only get 5 vacation days a year and 7 credited days for the holidays you should have off. If your internet or power is down for any reason for more than an hour you will be fired. It does not matter if you can document an internet outage or a storm that blew out power. The job is isolating. You are not allowed to send messages or emails to other employees beside managers, and they are disinterested in helping. The trainers I have interacted with read straight from the pdfs at a fast pace and get annoyed when you ask questions. The training is disorganized and confusing, and you need to juggle 6-8 tools plus research resources on even the simplest of calls. Support.com makes it very very clear during training that they are concerned with their own interests first, the company you contract with second, the customers third, and employees dead last. There is a reason this company churns though employees at an alarming rate.

Advice to Management

I have read the replies from the management here it is clear they are not interested in any real change. The only reaction is getting defensive when employees point out valid concerns. Management is so concerned with the bad reputation Comcast has they are missing the horrible reputation Support is garnering. They would do better to keep in mind that a company is only as good as the employees, and when you treat... the employees like dirt they will leave in droves until only the dregs are left.

Support.com2018-06-01

June 4, 2018Support.com Leadership Team

We pride ourselves in being very open and honest regarding our training wage and production wage for entry level positions in our organization. We clearly stated our compensation in all of our job postings and during our interview process. As an organization, we moved away from “sick time” many years ago and offer our newly hired employees an opportunity to accrue 5 paid PTO days to be used for sick or vacation time, as well as 7 paid floating holidays for a total of 12 days per year, which is generally more than most entry level positions offer. As we are a 24x7 operation, we do not close as we have customers to service 365 days per year 24 hours per day. We do however have a robust PTO request process that will allow employees to schedule time off including holidays if they plan appropriately. We care about our employees and their experience with Support.com, and make every effort to ensure all employees coming into our organization are aware of all policies, procedures, benefits, and expectations.

8. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Support.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training, decent benefits, home office reimbursement.

Cons

No raises....ever. Typical call center atmosphere, treated like children.

Advice to Management

Consider raises, everything goes up but income. Can't expect people to stay if they aren't able to keep up with rising cost of living.

Support.com2018-03-01

"Just Above Poverty Wages Tech Support"

Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST

I have been working at Support.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

None really!! Just being able to roll out of bed and go to work.

Cons

Tools are terrible and unreliable to assist customers, You get 5 minutes to login, and 90% of the time the tools take 5-10 minutes just to give a simple error like- "there appears to be network problems". This effects your metrics, and sanity, PAY is what you would expect to pay someone fresh out of high school with no skills, expect you to stay up on company policies and changes on the fly while taking calls, no... feeling of belonging or communication

Advice to Management

Keep raking in the dough...

Support.com2018-03-29

"Great Company so far. Beats working fast food for minimum wage."

Current Employee - Remote Support Tech RST in Fayetteville, TN

I have been working at Support.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

You’re at your house. Just need Internet and a computer. Very easy to get a job. Start training on Monday.

Cons

If you don’t have it support. You will not know what you are doing. You will be lost if you have no expertise in this field.

Advice to Management

Get better communication with hr to its employees.

Support.com2018-02-11