Sur La Table Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Los Angeles, CA Area

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Diane Neal

Pros
  • You get a great employee discount (in 75 reviews)

• I've learned a lot about the products, great discount (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not back customer service decisions made at the store level (in 36 reviews)

• Little to no support from any higher ups within the company or management (in 15 reviews)

"typical retail environment...fun at times and mundane at others..."

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

get there on time and always be there for the customer

Cons

short hours for part time and the pay is tragically scant

Advice to Management

listen up and pay more to your most important assets

"Open your eyes!"

Current Employee - Midde Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Midde Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent discount - flexible hours - fun casual environment

Cons

Horrible pay. Terrible executive management (mainly HR)

Advice to Management

You have some very talented people. Realize this and pay to keep your good people. WS, BBB, etc recognize their value and pay to take them. Retain your people and don't lose your best talent over a few $! Lose all your best people, kiss your business goodbye!

"It Is Retail"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and generous employee discount.

Cons

If in management expect to work lots of nights and every weekend. Holidays lose their magic.

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers. They truly have their fingers on the pulse and have lots of insight.

4. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment
    Strong focus on customer service
    Flexible hours

Cons

Little room for growth
    Slow, only fast paced during holiday season

"Seasonal Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount was great. 40% was pretty awesome. It was a very interesting experience while working at Sur La Table.

Cons

I wanted a pt seasonal job. This fit the bill, BUT I wasn't prepared for the lack of training or interaction with the staff. The SM stayed in the office most of the time. The regular associates didn't speak to you unless they had to. So much to learn but no one to teach you. More like here's your apron & there you go. Luckily I had a passion for cooking and could speak to what worked for me. I was really excited to see the cooking classes but since I was seasonal I was pretty much banned from the kitchen unless I was washing dishes.My sales were great because customers were the only ones who would talk to me except the other seasonal employees. There were a few random texts from other employees (mgmt thought it was fine to post all of our numbers on the back wall) to cover shifts. Funny enough, I was a retail store manager for years before doing this. Still shop there but would never ever work there. People were just not happy there.

Advice to Management

Interact with your staff! Talk to every employee. They all matter.

6. "Sur La Table Excellence"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Working with this company was a sheer delight most of the time. They value initiative and promote rapid growth within their teams. The quality of people at Sur La Table, no matter the location, has set the bar in my hiring practices everywhere I go. The quality of product they offer has made me a customer for life.

Cons

As with many retailers, the hours were often treacherous and with this particular company, eventually the bar is set too high. You are either able to move to the corporate level or they make it seem as though it's time for you to move on. They don't keep high-level managers in-store for more than a few years before that time comes.

Advice to Management

Work for it! An amazing company to grow with, no matter how long you're there.

"Kitchen Assistant - Be Prepared to be Overworked and Undervalued"

Current Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Irvine, CA

Pros

The discount. I would like to say that it is also a position that you can learn new cooking techniques and gather great recipe ideas... I would like to say that, but I can't - you are a glorified busboy. However, you don't get tipped out or any added bonuses. Oh, sometimes you do get to try the food though. If you actually get to work with a good Chef that has a personality - you MAY get to engage in the class and prep.

Cons

Underpaid and overworked. One 15 minute break for a 4 1/2 hour shift at $9 an hour. On your feet the entire time, chefs are usually annoyed for the same reason. This SHOULD be a hospitality industry situation - however, Chefs are annoyed when the classes are booked, the Company does not allow you to actually UTILIZE the CULINARY products that they are trying to sell. Very Cheap company. Corporate thinks that you are "lucky" to work there - however, they don't show it at all. Everyone can't wait to get out of there and the rules are stringent for employees - however the aprons & towels are filthy because Corporate won't pay for an actual good cleaning service.

You literally are a glorified bus boy. Be ready to ruin your manicure - not that you can afford one anyway on the pay rate. They expect you to know what to do on the first day without any training or leadership. Everyone else feels the same - so while cooking and learning to cook should be a wonderful and fun loving experience for both the person teaching the class and those paying money to attend.... it often comes across as though the Chefs are "bothered" by having to actually teach the class. Quite possibly because they are not permitted to have ANY FUN!
    Recipes are based on selling equipment from the store - yet you are not allowed to use anything from the floor - there is no cleaning service - as the KA - you are also the janitor. So things get lost by the wayside. When I started there were cobwebs throughout the Kitchen, tools that are outdated and a sense of resentment throughout the entire store.

The discount on the sale items doesn't apply to employees - which is ridiculous.
    Chairs for the class attendees are broken. There are ZERO amenities for employees in the back. Not even a place to sit down for a moment. Store is overcrowded.
    Everyone seems annoyed. Unless you are an overly positive person that desires to gain back aches and pains for $9 an hour - you can gain much more knowledge by working in an actual kitchen. Also, "Chefs" resent the fact that they have to teach classes that are not in the repertoire and it MORE than comes across in the way they run the classes. In addition - consumers are paying $$$ to learn from an "expert"... these Chefs try to learn the recipes an hour before the class and often times sound like they don't know what they are talking about... because they don't.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Small amenities would provide smiles. As simple as actually having a place to sit on a break that is comfortable. The pay is absurd. It is very obvious that the bottom line is all you care about and your employees come in far last. Get a cleaning company that works for the culinary area. It is disgusting to pretend to class attendees that they are learning from "the Best" when the environment is far from that.
    Sur la Table is a CULINARY store - why wouldn't you utilize a captured audience in a cooking class to SHOWCASE the items?? We are not allowed to use anything from the floor without a fight. Good luck on having the Chefs or KA's have any incentive to talk about the products. There is also zero education on the operation of the products aside from a few people that have been there for a bit (most of which have already said they can't wait to quit). Give sales incentives to your Culinary staff - THE ENTIRE STAFF! Often times the KA's get asked a number of question about the products and the Chefs ALWAYS get asked about products and what they would recommend to buy. You have a BUILT IN SALES STAFF - but they don't get paid for that. Commission is not a bad idea....$9 an hour = employees with a grudge. Not even standard wage

"Fun environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table (More than a year)

Pros

Fun if you love kitchen gadgets

Cons

Lots of drama especially with management

"DON'T BOTHER! BAD COMPANY! TURNOVER WAY TOO HIGH"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

THEY'RE ARE NONE! BAD COMPANY TO WORK FOR! YOUR BETTER OFF AT K-MART!

Cons

The D.ms instruct the managers to cut hours on a daily basis. Nothing is ever stable when it come to hours. They change our schedules and never tell us. The Managers aren't allowed to call employees to inform them of the changes. We have to call on our time off to find out what we are working. This company is FAILING TO to provide advance notice to an employee of scheduling changes can be required to pay for "reporting time." Furthermore, California law imposes strict requirements on employers who adopt alternative workweek policies, and employers cannot adopt these policies without providing advance notice to their employees of their scheduling changes.
    THIS COMPANY IS NOT COMPLYING TO THIS LABOR LAWS WHATSOEVER. They are worried about numbers and productivity.

Advice to Management

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER ON HOW TO RUN A COMPANY. IT SEEMS THAT THE CRAZIES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM.

"Great company with a few issues to sort out."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The staff tend to be very knowledgeable, and at the time when I worked there, were truly empowered to do whatever it took to make certain customers had a great experience. This was my favorite thing about this company.

Cons

The direction of the company changes often, and you should be prepared to deal with that. One moment, gift registry was the most important metric in the world, the next moment it was completely forgotten in favor of customer email collection, which is quickly forgotten in favor of cooking class sign-ups. It's difficult to keep up with what is the important metric from week to week.

Advice to Management

Set a course and ride it out. Your team supports you but constant changes in company direction have shaken their faith in leadership. This is a problem that should be easy to fix by the new leadership.