Sur La Table Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

4.0
Diane Neal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not back customer service decisions made at the store level (in 36 reviews)

• Little to no support from any higher ups within the company or management (in 15 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment
    Strong focus on customer service
    Flexible hours

Cons

Little room for growth
    Slow, only fast paced during holiday season

2. "Sur La Table Excellence"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Working with this company was a sheer delight most of the time. They value initiative and promote rapid growth within their teams. The quality of people at Sur La Table, no matter the location, has set the bar in my hiring practices everywhere I go. The quality of product they offer has made me a customer for life.

Cons

As with many retailers, the hours were often treacherous and with this particular company, eventually the bar is set too high. You are either able to move to the corporate level or they make it seem as though it's time for you to move on. They don't keep high-level managers in-store for more than a few years before that time comes.

Advice to Management

Work for it! An amazing company to grow with, no matter how long you're there.

"Great company with a few issues to sort out."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The staff tend to be very knowledgeable, and at the time when I worked there, were truly empowered to do whatever it took to make certain customers had a great experience. This was my favorite thing about this company.

Cons

The direction of the company changes often, and you should be prepared to deal with that. One moment, gift registry was the most important metric in the world, the next moment it was completely forgotten in favor of customer email collection, which is quickly forgotten in favor of cooking class sign-ups. It's difficult to keep up with what is the important metric from week to week.

Advice to Management

Set a course and ride it out. Your team supports you but constant changes in company direction have shaken their faith in leadership. This is a problem that should be easy to fix by the new leadership.

4. "Really nice place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, but if you give your availability be prepared for them to take every chance to schedule you. They give 15 minute breaks if you work over 4.5 hours, and an unpaid 30 minute lunch if you work over 5 hours I think.

Cons

I was basically assigned to register and only register. I rarely got to walk around and really explore the store. Hard to get a vacation during seasonal time because obviously you're a seasonal employee

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! You guys are great!

5. "Seasonal employee"

Current Employee - Seasonal Worker in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Worker in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, friendly co-workers, nice clientele. Fun way to make a few extra bucks for the holidays while enjoying the employee discount.

Cons

Stock room is way too small for constantly arriving shipments.

"Fun and dynamic working environment, helping customers with all of their culinary needs"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate about cooking and the products they sell, great training, emphasis on teamwork, compensation, good employee discount

Cons

focus on selling, holiday hours, lack of new product training

7. "Overall good company to work for."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount on product once you are a full employee. 40% off of everything.

Cons

Folding towels and napkins. You get them all done and have to do them all over again the next day.

Advice to Management

Get a new computer system. With people being technologically advanced in today's market, the POS system is outdated and difficult to work with (takes too much time).

Additionally, while I understood capturing customer data, it was pushed so hard that I became a robot so that I didn't forget to ask for something. Maybe find an easier way or loosen up on those standards. Concentrate on being "THE" source for kitchenware knowledge and expertise.

"Great for job for those who love to cook or entertain and aren't seeking full-time employment"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Most who work at Sur La Table share interest in cooking and food; on-going education - not necessarily provided by company, but by exposure to customers' needs; the discount makes more expensive items accessible

Cons

Hard to get enough hours - impossible to support self on income, need 40 hours to qualify to receive benefits. If not a cook it may take a longer time to learn about all the products.

Advice to Management

Consider the number of hours and traffic flow an employee works when measuring sales success; make sure middle management knows how to support and motivate staff.