Sur La Table Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Billy May

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "upper management is very resistant to change" (in 41 reviews)

• "Little to no support from any higher ups within the company or management" (in 15 reviews)

"Sales Associate Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet amazing people and are constantly learning new things about cooking/baking. It's fairly laid back and you get good stores discounts.

Cons

You'll be on your feet for the whole shift. The store is constantly changing and getting new products so a lot of moving around has to happen.

2. "Fun Environment"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Reasonable hours
    Great opportunities to learn
    Employee Discount
    Pleasant customers

Cons

Often Tedious
    Overcrowded stores
    Some Pretentious customers

"Get out while you can"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good discount... that’s about it.

The discount used to be better, they would offer cooking class opportunities for employees. Benefits used to be great, by the time I left the insurance didn’t even cover basic birth control. The upper management used to be interested and engaged with employees at the store level. In my last year there I saw my supervisor twice in almost a year.

Cons

Roughly 3 years ago they brought in an efficiency consultant and then fired more than 30% of the total workforce. Those who remained were overworked, underpaid, and criminally understaffed. Widespread supply chain issues. Decreasing quality of products in the stores.

Essentially the new hiring philosophy became pay the least amount and require the most availability, and fire anyone who doesn’t comply. As a result, fantastic employees were either let go or quit and were eventually replaced with the cheapest warm bodies they could find.

As a Store Manager I went WEEKS without days off just to try and keep the store afloat and and keep up with the astounding level of busywork that corporate forced on the stores.

Advice to Management

STOP SENDING WORKSHEETS AND SURVEYS AND GET FEET ON THE GROUND IN THE STORES! QUIT BLAMING THE SALES TEAM FROM
    YOUR HIGH CASTLE AND ACTUALLY TAKE AN ACTIVE ROLE IN MANAGING THE COMPANY!

"Sales"

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

Good employee discount.
    If you love to cook its a great place to be

Cons

No consistant schedule.
    Not always enough hours

"Fun, but had it's challenges."

I have been working at Sur La Table full-time

Pros

It was very fun being a culinary instructor.

Cons

Working nights and weekends was a downside. They also had a horrible policy of only allowing you to pay assistants minimum wage. That made it impossible to stay fully staffed. Upper management was not at all receptive to complaints on this issue either. This seems minor, but it will be the biggest challenge of the job.

6. "recent"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

50 percent off of items that are not already on sale.

Cons

almost everything. Corporate has little to no idea how to run the stores , underpays employees ,and lacks understaff's stores resulting in agitated customers.

Advice to Management

Change how you operate as a company.

"Loved Chef Instructor Position, not the area"

Former Employee - Chef Instructor in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Chef Instructor in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

Really enjoyed teaching Pastry classes, having a full staff to help out in a full class, equipment availability, display of products for the class to upsell. I'd work for Sur La Table again, but in Seattle instead.

Cons

Having to last minute shop for ingredients that may have been used by someone else's class, walking into a dirty kitchen, not having a staff for dishes, not having break snacks, ovens that aren't regulated, refrigerators that break and your food that you've prepped for a packed class right after Christmas is now spoiled and can't be used. Honestly the class should have been rescheduled. I felt terrible for everyone, but did my best, and know I received awful reviews. 4 people stuck it out and went home with food after they traveled 200 miles to the class. In the end I lost my job because I was an instructor, not an entertainer. I Loved my job. It was the best job ever. And I was heartbroken, over this. I worked hard, came early, stayed late, did what ever it took and they still let me go. The reviews were terrible, the store lost money, Walnut Creek is a hard area to work in, lots people with money and attitudes to match. The people of Walnut Creek have spoken!

Advice to Management

They need a full time kitchen steward. Every week, the ovens need a through cleaning as does the fridge. Inventory every week. The kitchen gets so much use, it needs a deep clean once a week. The ovens need to be regulated and the fridge checked to make sure its in working order. Shopping for all the classes, needs to be done the day before and labeled, dates, times whose class. Etc. Set your people up for success. Displays and themes should be similar for the day so there isn't so much work for one person and there needs to be product available to buy on the floor. That's another issue. Your sales would fine, if what we demo was available sell.

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount on products (40%) and classes (50%)

Cons

No work-life balance, felt (and treated) like cog in machine

9. "Culinary"

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

co-workers are great, discount is solid but continually decreasing.

Cons

Sur la table corporate clearly does not care about their employees at the retail level and it shows in all of the moves they make.

"General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Sur La Table full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing Product and the cooking school and our customers are what get me going daily. Mt staff is wonderful but only because they like working with our team.. They stay because we have a family here.

Cons

Corporate is money hungry and makes unattainable numbers. They are not on the ground and don't understand how hard it is to run a business on 200 hours . They ask us to pay people horrible salaries and expect them to be happy enough to turn out big numbers. Corporate does not let us run our business and payroll in order to actually make the business run well.

Advice to Management

You are slowly losing the people that made this company what it was and those people are the people that could have made this company go far and be better than it ever was, but HQ is rude and cares nothing about us. So we are all leaving and you are all cheating people out of money and they will never work as hard as we did and you will lose more and more money....

Sur La Table Response

Apr 5, 2018 – Director, Talent Management

Hi!
    Thank you for taking the time to post your comment. I understand change is challenging and we have asked many employees to change the way they approach their business. We're grateful you've... More