Sur La Table Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Diane Neal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not back customer service decisions made at the store level (in 36 reviews)

• Little to no support from any higher ups within the company or management (in 15 reviews)

1. "ups and downs"

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

discount is pretty generous, customers are friendly

Cons

a lot of new management unfamiliar with the company being brought in which makes it difficult for stores to operate efficiently

2. "Not a pleasant experience"

Former Employee - Floor Sales in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Floor Sales in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products and huge variety

Cons

High pressure sales from management

"Good Company if you just want part time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and reliable coworkers
    Higher beginning pay than other retailers
    Easy work
    Sometimes you get a sample from the cooking classes
    Interesting customers come in to talk to

Cons

New rule change each week
    Ridiculous hour requirements that make it almost impossible to pick up a second job
    Change to benefits (40% one electric each month turned into 40% two electrics a year)
    Entitled customers

Advice to Management

If you want your employees to stay with the company give us the hours we need or let us pick up a second job so we can make ends meet.
    Treat us more like people instead of cattle!

4. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone enjoys some form of cooking or baking so it is awesome to see how excited some people are when the walk into the store. Also, my co-workers are very friendly and we help each other out without asking.

Cons

Pay rate, but it is the retail industry, so that is expected.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people that enjoy what we offer! It makes it more fun to work there, and more comforting to customers.

5. "Great job to have on the side. Not a career choice."

I worked at Sur La Table full-time

Pros

Benefits and Compensation - Great place to work for wage and benefits if you're mid-level management and up.

Cons

Company culture - with a revamp in company culture pushing for pride in the work place, and encouraging enthusiasm, there's minimal to no interaction with anyone in the company outside your direct management. It's unfortunate then, to want to do well, and work hard, and maintain a positive attitude when it would essentially get you no where. Not a place to work for anyone ambitious; but to be fair this is my first retail experience.

Advice to Management

Direct management - stop complaining about work to your employees. Look for solutions, delegate, and stay positive.

Directors and Up - Coach your management teams. Spend some time with your managers in order to teach them leadership skills and problem solving, instead of enforcing minor details.

"Sliding downhill fast"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are nice at store level. Most products good.

Cons

Corporate wants a great amount of availability for a part time job. Limits amount of staff on payroll, finding it hard to cover shifts when sick, etc. Insulting pay. Corporate reduced employee discount on electronics. Pathetic.

Advice to Management

There is nothing that is attractive about this company to talent from a retail associate/floor lead standpoint. The pay is abysmal, with no benefits (medical, etc). Even the employee discount, which kept me around, was recently slashed. I have been there more than 5 years and make less than $1 more than new hires (who receive minimum wage). I have always received "exceeds expectations" on reviews, but the company was too cheap to keep pace with minimum wage increases.

The point of my rant? If you want to "win back the customer" you need decent employees. Store management can't hire anyone right now, because no one is applying, as there is nothing that makes anyone want to work here.

I could go on about how their discount strategy is weakening the brand, how store management receives no support (I suspect the DMs don't either), etc. It is sad how poor leadership has ruined this company. If there are still stores in 5 years, I'd be shocked.

7. "Not enough money for the trouble"

Former Employee - Culinary
    Former Employee - Culinary

I worked at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

This job offers flexible hours

Cons

Not enough money for the disorganization and poor training

Advice to Management

Hire skilled leaders and maintain the good employees. Increase compenation

8. "A decent company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sur La Table full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount is 40%. You can change around your schedule as needed.

Cons

Corporate management has absolutely no idea what it's doing. Stock management is a complete mess. Tons of stock that doesn't move is pushed to stores while the high selling items are not available. The company cut payroll severely so coverage is below what is needed 100% of the time.

"Floor lead"

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

40 % discount. Good team. It's too bad most leave for higher paying jobs within 3 or 4 months. The newer stores are nice.

Cons

Corporate and District Managers are totally out of touch. Every DM we get is mean and brittle. The company has been too slow to move forward with technology and the way people now buy. Also, many of the quality brands, like Revol, have been replaced with crap from china. They even stopped buying decent, branded tissue paper for gift wrapping. Employees are asked to do more and more while managerial positions are cut. Feels like the Titanic; the boat is sinking, while corporate is busy rearranging the deck chairs.

Advice to Management

Shape up. Move. Pay your employees a lot more. Happy, well paid employees are motivated to sell. With the changes in the retail market, if you want to draw people into the store, give them a quality experience. Stop badgering customers with questions about Email, address and do they want to contribute to charity. It's starting to feel like Safeway. Get rid of those nasty DMs!

10. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

the discount is a plus

Cons

Inconsistency with work hours on a bi-weekly basis