Sur La Table 447 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Diane Neal

Pros
  • You get a great employee discount (in 75 reviews)

• I've learned a lot about the products, great discount (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not back customer service decisions made at the store level (in 35 reviews)

• There is little to no training for the staff (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great Concept.....Poor Leadership....Horrifying Corporate Office"

Former Employee - Floor Lead
    Former Employee - Floor Lead

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their concept of being Scrappy and an easy place to get all your cookware needs, plus they have cooking glasses!

Cons

Leadership in the stores are expected to run multi-million dollar businesses on zero training, no motivation and SOP's that are founded by corporate officers that have never actually never worked in the field! As previously stated, they want to have a MOD program that is similar to other retailers, yet stores never have more than 1 sales person working at a time....so who are they actually MODing? If the company can no afford to hire the right people, support the stores with appropriate payroll and training, they have not right in staying in business.

Advice to Management

The leadership team needs to assess and move forward with making decisions that are right for their people and their customers.

2. "ok...shaky future"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Sur La Table full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good discount...pretty competitive pay

Cons

a lot of disconnect between corporate and stores. no clear direction on anything. upper management is very resistant to change.

Advice to Management

be more involved and develop your people.

"Disappointed in the company and the lack of training on every level."

Former Employee - Management Team
    Former Employee - Management Team

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Selling interesting products, good discount, culinary environment is fun.

Cons

Where do I start. The actions of the store manager will make or break the environment. I worked for a manager who demanded unrealistic goals and reprimanded you if you didn't achieve them. Ex. The MOD (manager on duty) was expected to run the selling floor (usually with one associate)....as well as tend to the students in the cooking classes , have 4 or 5 tasks to do and keep on top of every employee in the store (including the chef teaching the class). An example of "keeping on top of" would be making sure that EVERYONE punched in for their shift out for their break, in from their break and out when their shift was over. We would actually have to check every employees time card to make sure they punched in and out properly. So much time was wasted doing this! The irony is, the store manger, who didn't have to punch in was always late for her shift! I could easily tell a million more stories like this. I know from talking to employees from other stores that not all managers treat their staff this way. Her form of managing was to bully employees and hardly ever acknowledged a job well done.

Advice to Management

Hey DMs, learn more about what goes on in these stores. Your only assessment is based on the store #s and what the store manager tells you....keep in mind that she could be throwing people under the bus rather than assume responsibility for her own short comings. The turnover alone should gove an indication of what's really going on.

"Leadership is the worst I've ever had in my history of retail"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great cooking items to buy at a 40% discount.

Cons

Leadership steals positive information and makes it look like they is a super stars! Leadership has no clue how to treat their employee's and is extremely sneaky and a big liar. The company has no clue how to treat anyone with respect. Makes numbers they say, but financial numbers are loaded in the POS incorrectly. Hire great employee's they say, but they are required to have an availability of 30 hours per week but are only scheduled 8 hours.

Advice to Management

The Management of the company has no idea how to run a retail company. They are in it to bleed the company dry with bonuses and treat everyone like second class citizens.

"SLT Review"

I have been working at Sur La Table full-time

Pros

Discount. Job used to be fun and rewarding.

Cons

Political nightmare. Dont promote based on output, work ethic or productivity.

Advice to Management

Stop repeating the same thing over and over. Retain good talent and get out of your own way.

7. "Adequate Part-time Retail Job"

Pros

Fun people (a few bad apples, but that's retail), great products, excellent employee discount

Cons

Management makes or breaks the store. I was lucky enough to have brilliant store managers and a fantastic floor lead. Hours are based on conversion rate and meeting store goals. I was often sent home early, which ended up working out for me and my family but might be problematic for those counting on hours. Not a ton of standardized training. I mostly learned on the job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Do your best with what corporate forces upon you. High yield sales are possible if employees are kept informed and feel valued. A little positive reinforcement can go a long way.

"Dont waste your time"

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, great group of fellow employees

Cons

Making 9.10 an hour after two plus years. Managers so clueless like deer in headlights. Store management has been made aware of sexual harassment by one floor lead and done nothing. Horrible seasonal tabletop products. Comes in and you can see it in clearance soon.

Advice to Management

Treat ur employees better. Allow permanent employees more than 25 hrs during holidays. Clean house of managers in Dallas store as they are worthless.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sur La Table full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Discount
    Lots of free product (for store managers/resident chefs, PT employees have lots of opportunities to win
    Great training material for everyone

Cons

I could go on forever. As a Store Manager, you are viewed less as a manager, and more as The Best Salesperson. Yeah, I can sell. But true skills in management are wasted, as there is actually no control by Store Managers. Exact hours for scheduling your store are dictated, with no ability to control for your specific locations needs. I would go from being able to give employees 30 hours a week, to maybe 8 the following, and have to tell them they needed to stay available for the possibility of 30. I had some great people, and was proud of achieving great KPI's, comps, and doing well. But it was never enough. Even when you're in the top of your district or company. Up 200% to goal? What could you have done to increase conversion? I'm not kidding, that was a factual experience. Maybe I just had a bad District Manager. I was there during the CEO transition, and and many transitions before that. Every time, there was hope things would get better, but they would not.
    Bottom line, it would be a good management position for someone who has actually never managed before. Because you're not managing, your the mouthpiece for corporate, who often is clearly out of touch

Advice to Management

Trust managers to know their stores, their customers, and their employees.
    Be less reactionary to competitors- do your own thing and do it well.
    Celebrate success

"Distribution Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brownsburg, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brownsburg, IN

Pros

Decent pay for entry level. Got the hours needed along with plenty of opportunities for overtime during busy season. Opportunities for job advancement. Works well with veterans.

Cons

Just your typical on the job politics. Generally out of managements control. Frustrating working with inexperienced leads, (not all leads, some are great are their jobs) who are not the best at workflow management.

Advice to Management

Offer slightly better pay to leads/managers to obtain/maintain higher quality leadership

11. "Great for someone that doesn't need the income"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

Great people
    Great food
    Great atmosphere - not stressful

Cons

Company does not pay well enough unless you're a store manager or resident chef.