Sur La Table Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Diane Neal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not back customer service decisions made at the store level (in 36 reviews)

• Little to no support from any higher ups within the company or management (in 15 reviews)

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have a good and fair manager it's a pretty fun job. The employee discount is great if you have another source of income (because the pay rate is abysmal and you can't purchase much with your paycheck, see below). I'd recommend to a retired person with another income (but then there's the heavy lifting).

Cons

Pay rate is just awful. $9 an hour in a very busy retail store is unfair. There is definitely a revolving door of employees as a result. Required availability is such that a person with a full-time job might find it difficult to have this as a second job, with out suffering burnout. This is not a career sales job, no matter how much you love it.

Advice to Management

I had considered moving along in the company but the next step up doesn't pay well either. There are so many changes in personnel, even in the higher levels, that it is apparent they leave for better salaries. We have sales goals and if you really want them met, PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES what they are worth, in the U.S. not in Bahrain where Investcorp is located.

"Sliding downhill fast"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are nice at store level. Most products good.

Cons

Corporate wants a great amount of availability for a part time job. Limits amount of staff on payroll, finding it hard to cover shifts when sick, etc. Insulting pay. Corporate reduced employee discount on electronics. Pathetic.

Advice to Management

There is nothing that is attractive about this company to talent from a retail associate/floor lead standpoint. The pay is abysmal, with no benefits (medical, etc). Even the employee discount, which kept me around, was recently slashed. I have been there more than 5 years and make less than $1 more than new hires (who receive minimum wage). I have always received "exceeds expectations" on reviews, but the company was too cheap to keep pace with minimum wage increases.

The point of my rant? If you want to "win back the customer" you need decent employees. Store management can't hire anyone right now, because no one is applying, as there is nothing that makes anyone want to work here.

I could go on about how their discount strategy is weakening the brand, how store management receives no support (I suspect the DMs don't either), etc. It is sad how poor leadership has ruined this company. If there are still stores in 5 years, I'd be shocked.

"Sales Associate for 8 months including the crazy holiday season"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is great.
    The chefs are great and many of the staff are a joy to be around.

Cons

The turnover rate is high because everyone there is already looking for a way out. There's no commission even on high-end item sales and pay is too low to make dealing with the entitled customers worth working there more than a year. It was difficult to handle because the La Jolla store is consistently understaffed.

"Unless you are a Store Manager or a Corporate employee - Don't bother"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent co-workers and a great environment for someone who loves to cook or entertain.

Cons

For a retail employee - i.e. anyone below the level of Assistant Manager in the store

employee discount - is not taken off of the price the customer will pay, but the initial retail price. This means that 80% of the time the customer's price is lower. Considering the employee discount is the only benefit offered for part time employees, this won't get you much.

Employee incentive contests - good in theory but since store management is almost always eligible - and they work 40 hours a week - your odds go way down.

Corporate does not seem to listen to store level inventory suggestions - as a nationwide company they do not seem to stock stores according to the local market. We would end up with items we couldn't give away that a store 10 miles away would sell out of. And the store was constantly short of big sellers for our location.

Point of Sale system – both hardware and software system needs serious work. The software is not intuitive at all and several functions that were used on an hourly basis were buried 3 layers deep. The registers have major glitches and they wouldn’t replace things like non-functional scanners until the ”whole system/network gets the same replacement”. Not sure if this was an excuse for something else but it made some of the day to day much more difficult.

“Flexible” schedule – can be directly interpreted as erratic schedule. But this is pretty standard for retail.

Advice to Management

Stop reducing the quality of store brand goods sold and reprimanding employees for not being able to sell them. And get some better quality control on the manufacturing side of your business because you can't sell something at full price (or at all) that comes with major flaws from the factory.

"Enjoyable personal experience, poor company experience"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in White Plains, NY

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent employee discount, friendly work atmosphere.

Cons

Not very good benefits, extremely strict guidelines for availability given the type of position I was hired for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only the discount & mostly friendly staff. Interaction with customers is paramount to being a good employee.

Cons

Why retain toxic employees at the risk of losing those that actually connect to shoppers-personality counts!

Advice to Management

Lack of training, rampart favoritism, and enabling of those who should in no way, shape or form have decision making capabilities!

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

Nice co-workers, useful discount. Customers are very grateful for a good shopping experience and knowledgeable staff.

Cons

Management maintains unprofessional relationship with some of employees. Schedule is too varied and unpredictable week to week.

Advice to Management

Looks at managements relationship with some of the employees.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Great environment to work in. Great employees to work with. It is a great place to work in and fun interacting with the customers. Great employee discount.

Cons

Pay is too low, but I guess it kind of makes up for the employee discount. OR NOT. Otherwise not much cons.

"Great job with discounts"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was hired by a very strong manager who ran the store well and treated employees with respect. I enjoyed working there, loved selling the products and enjoyed buying them with the employee discounts.

Cons

When my hiring manager was promoted he was replaced by the assistant manager who although was strong operationally, she was a terrible manager of people. Morale hit all time low and the job was no longer enjoyable....I left 6 months later.

Advice to Management

People work for 'People' and will work hard for a good manager. Hire well....

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work, flexible schedule

Cons

Can be disorganized, they have really been cutting the number of hours for staff.