SureWest Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SureWest Communications President, CEO, and Director Steve Oldham
Steve Oldham

1. "Programmer Analyst - Contractor"

Current Contractor - Programmer Analyst in Roseville, CA
    Current Contractor - Programmer Analyst in Roseville, CA

I have been working at SureWest Communications as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours and arrangements. Excellent co-workers. All IT personnel were highly trained and more than willing to help out during projects and production support events. All team members pulled their own weight during projects and were all team players. Even though I was a contractor, I was treated as if I was en employee.

Cons

The facilities in the older building were much better than where we ended up at after the move. In an effort to cut cost, there was a lot of streamlining and as a result, we had to move locations. The new location does not facilitate efficiencies as it is an older location and parking is very difficult at times.

Advice to Management

My direct manager and his manager were absolutely superb. Could not ask for a better boss.

2. "Sadly times are changing..."

Current Employee - Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at SureWest Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Salary in alignment with most other organizations. Works is mostly entertaining - and at times challenging.

Cons

New owners, old ideas. The new owners are roughly 7-12 years behind the times on technology, customer service, and inter-company relationships. The overall feeling between most internal organizations are adversarial and not productive to success. While this feeling permeates from the lower level employees - you have to assume this behavior is not only tolerated but encouraged by the mid/senior level managers.

Advice to Management

Might be time to haul out some dead wood and start over..

3. "Trying to overcome old school ways to be a more cutting edge company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at SureWest Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management was open to culture ideas and programs
    Flexible telecommute program
    Great co-workers

Cons

Too many obstacles to overcome to get things done fast
    Needed more strong executive team members (some were very good, but not enough were)

Advice to Management

Get out and about with employees more.

5. "Will the call center hire employees with a non violent felony from 3 years ago?"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Roseville, CA

Pros

Friendly staff
    Great Pay
    Great Establishment

I would like to know if this call center will hire people that might have something in their background such as a misdemeanor or felony. I have a felony from a car accident 3 years ago. I was offered the job through a temp agency and was curious if Surewest would have a problem with this and would take back offering me this position??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated I really would like to work for this company.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company

Advice to Management

Advice on hiring?

"They are excellent employers and treat their employees with respect."

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Lenexa, KS

Pros

Competitive Pay. Salary increases yearly. Ability to grow within the company. Great family type atmosphere amongst their employees. They hold several community carnivals.

Cons

Must start working on Saturdays for installers. Equipment check in can be a pain. May need to go into dirty crawl spaces without seeing whats inside.

Advice to Management

If there is an employees interested in moving to provisioning or to I.T., I would provide them with some training.

7. "SureWest"

Current Employee - Field Service in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Field Service in Roseville, CA

Pros

Good Pay and benifits, Excellent regular employees.

Cons

Management only promots ILEC Techs. Layoffs are big now, and hireing temps to replace seasoned Techs. Bad for customer service.

Advice to Management

If you want to have SureWest as a superior service provider, keep your seasoned personable techs in the customer contact.

8. "Brief"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

Pros

everything, pay, benefits, people, small company

Cons

small company, too many employees, sometimes get stuck in old habits

Advice to Management

grow quicker with reduing headcount

9. "I enjoyed having the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the growth and success of the enterprise"

Pros

expansive responsibilities for growth. I had the ability to create, implement a sales structure that was most conducive to drive high results.

Cons

Not all of my functional peers were completely support of our efforts

Advice to Management

Ensure that functional leaders are all tied to the same objectives in effort to eliminate competing priorities

10. "csr"

Pros

I like all of my coworkers. The location is perfect for me. Benefits are good but expensive.

Cons

No pay increases. No opportunity for advancement. No say so in policies or procedures. Management not in state.

Advice to Management

Pay increases. Give everyone opportunity for advancement. Seek feedback from employees and customers. Listen. Care.

11. "A company that cares about it's customers and employees."

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

Pros

It's a great company with amazing benefits. While it can't afford to match market expectations for salary, it more than makes up for with a 6% 401(k) match, daycare assistance, paid gym memberships, and frequent team builders to keep the "family" atmosphere alive. The corporate culture is unlike anything I have ever experienced.

Cons

Many bottlenecks within the company. I have found that there are many positions that the company is heavily reliant upon, but there is only one or two people who can perform the tasks. If the people within these positions take time off, things seem to come to a stand still.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.