KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.5
SuretyBonds.com Founder and CEO Josh Kayser
Josh Kayser

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Hours: Flexible(in 3 reviews)
  • "Great team to work with, fun and casual environment, good holidays/PTO(in 3 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Fast-Paced Company that Emphasizes Innovation

Jan 18, 2021 - Law Student in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong sense of community Opportunities to really excel Smaller size allows for direct communication with all levels of management Flexible Good benefits

Cons

Can feel a little sink or swim at times, but whether you sink or swim is really up to you.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great job

Jul 20, 2022 - Transaction Coordinator in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Team events, not micro-managed, no sales, you know the expectations and great benefits

Cons

No room for growth unless you personally know the owner, .25 raises annually, a pat on the back for being extremely efficient, and the Christmas parties suck especially when the new people or account managers always got the best prizes - it didn’t matter how well you did throughout the year.

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

Hello former employee! Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your previous experience working with us. We're grateful you appreciated so many aspects of your 3-4 year tenure with SuretyBonds.com! Our fun team building activities, relaxed approach to management, excellent benefits package, and realistic and well-communicated workflows have all been carefully curated and intentionally implemented over many years, so it's great to hear all that hard work has paid off! That said, you also shared some suggestions for improvement. We haven't seen turnover for a Transaction Coordinator position in more than a year, so we'd like to share where our company currently stands regarding these suggestions. We're sorry to hear you felt there was no room for growth during your time here. In the last 12 months we've created 3 new supervisor positions and a new project manager position for which we promoted 4 deserving internal employees to take on new roles and responsibilities. We've also onboarded 6 new team members, which has freed up time for more tenured employees to expand their skill sets. As is the case with most employers, annual raises are awarded based on merit according to an individual's contribution to their team and the company at large during the prior year. We offer additional recognition and rewards to all team members who perform above and beyond their daily work assignments. Finally, we want to clarify that the extra bonus prizes awarded at our annual holiday party (in addition to employee gifts distributed to all employees equally) have always been and will continue to be randomized by our events coordinator. Thanks again for sharing your perspective! Hopefully this response fully addresses and alleviates your concerns outlined above. We hope you took some good lessons with you from your time at SuretyBonds.com and are doing well in your current role. -Danielle Burrow, Chief Operations Officer

3. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great small business

Dec 2, 2020 - Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team to work with, fun and casual environment, good holidays/PTO

Cons

Pay was a little low

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

I would def. recommend working here.

Sep 18, 2014 - Processor in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is by far the best job I have had. I love the work environment. It is a fast-paced work place and this is what makes my days go by fast.There is Always something to do. The most interesting people work here and because the environment is so laid back you really get to know people at their best. The contact with management is great. You can come to your manager with any problems they will understand and make you feel comfortable while talking to them. Overall, SuretyBonds.com is a family oriented company you feel like you are working with friends not just colleagues.

Cons

The management should separate the departments a little more but as the company grows I think that is just going to happen automatically. It is expected to work as long as necessary to get the work done so you might work 38 hrs one week and 50 the next. Overall the cons in this company can always be changed as long as someone says something about it. The management is quick to listen and change if necessary.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment.... If you like to work

Jan 20, 2014 - Director of Agent Program in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Please take into consideration I am writing this after my FIRST day at the office. This company seems to value the philosophy of "work hard, play hard" and "you pay for what you get", in a sense they compensate well. This is a new(er) company that primarily staffs recent college graduates. The energy is very high and the work environment is very laid back. Initiative and resourcefulness are encouraged. This company seems to be growing at an exponential rate and offers a great starting hourly wage (from what I have witnessed) and a positive outlook on job stability. There seems to be positions for every personality type, those who like structure, those who are people persons, and those who are creative. "Surety bonds" may not be the most well understood market, but this company takes pride in their service and values the employees.

Cons

This company is VERY laid back. Due to its web-based market, if you are looking for a conservative work atmosphere, this may not be the best fit. The owner's English bulldog Winston is present at work, so if you have a hatred or allergen for dogs, this may not be the place for you. Also, my experience has been a "learn as you go" experience, there isn't an objective training manual (which som view as a con, but I embrace it).

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Youthful Company; Long Hours

Aug 28, 2015 - Account Manager in Saint Charles, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Casual dress code. No set hours for each work day. Lots of company activities. Lots of new leads everyday. Company is consistently looking at new ways to promote their brand and reach out to more leads. With any sales position there is pressure to make sales, but it was not overbearing. Compared to other commission based jobs the commission offered is at or above average based on the time and effort put into work. Fun group of people to work with in general. Very knowledgeable company compared to the rest of their competition despite being a relatively newer company. Very good benefits and PTO.

Cons

At times the different departments can feel segregated and not working as a team but playing CYA. Management is mostly focused on supporting their processing team as opposed to their sales team. VERY LONG WORK HOURS; do not expect to work 8-5 and be successful. PTO can be difficult to schedule as this is a smaller company. At times management would be reactive as opposed to proactive when dealing with internal issues. No major career growth within the company. You are not able to keep your book of business if you were to leave the company (this can be expected with companies that provide the leads). There is no set training program for the sales position, it would be best to know the industry before jumping into surety bonds.

3 people found this review helpful

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

Since no response was originally posted to this review 4 years ago, I want to take some time to address the points outlined here as we've made a lot of improvements to how we manage SuretyBonds.com in the past 4 years. We always appreciate feedback like this that offers actionable suggestions and inspires us to take a step back to consider how we could better serve our employees on our mission to always #putpeoplefirst. First of all, we still have a casual dress code! Hoodies, sweats, yoga pants, flip flops, etc. are all welcome because we want employees to feel as comfortable as possible while rocking out. To promote a better work/life balance, employees who work in our Production (sales), Customer Care, and Operations departments now have set schedules (current shifts include: 7-4, 8-5, 9-6, 10-7). Employees in Marketing and Development have more flexible scheduling due to the project-based nature of their work. Employees can choose to leave the premises and take a lunch in the middle of their shift or eat at their desk and work through their lunch if that works better for their schedules. Hourly employees have the option to work up to 5 hours of overtime each week and can earn 1.5 times their hourly rate for these extra hours. Although there is a commission component to our Production (sales) team pay structure, our Account Managers are facilitating the bonding process for clients legally required to purchase the type of insurance we sell. All leads are generated in house, meaning our clients have already reached out to us requesting help before we call them. There's no cold calling. Our people are still fun and great to work with! The major players in the surety industry consider SuretyBonds.com to be the most innovative, informed, and successful surety agency in the country. If you check out our online reviews here, you can see that our clients think the same: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/suretybonds.com Our benefits are well above average for insurance companies in Columbia, Missouri. Management now has a streamlined workflows for approving PTO requests and covering workloads during absences. We always encourage employees to use all of their available PTO each year because we know time away from the office is vital to both personal and professional development. We now have monthly meetings with all departments on the first Wednesday of each month so we can pitch new ideas and get feedback from every team member. New Production (sales) Account Managers now undergo a month of thorough training before they start selling. With 32 full-time employees and 20 or so paid part-time interns, we're still a fairly small and entrepreneurial enterprise, so there's still no corporate ladder to climb. We do recognize and reward hustlers accordingly, however :) We have monthly company events that allow us to get to know our employees on a more personal level while also allowing them to foster relationships among coworkers. Some of our recent events have been axe throwing, wine tasting, pottery painting, trivia night, and a donut-themed fun run! We also give back to the Columbia community by sponsoring local charities and volunteering a few times each year. Hopefully this gives potential applicants a fuller and more accurate picture of the state of our company in 2019 :)

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Innovative company making moves in a tired industry. Learning experience every day.

Jan 20, 2015 - CMO in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Young innovative company comprised of a team of smart, highly dedicated individuals. The company CEO/co-founder is just under 30 so very much of a millennial mindset when it comes to the way we work & do things. Able to get more done since the ethos is smarter, not harder across all of our efforts. The company offers a niche product and excels at doing 1 thing and doing it really well. Decision-makers seem to really care about the success of their employees and try to cultivate that on a daily basis. "Upward and onward" is an on-going tagline around the office.

Cons

A better term here would be challenges I think as the company has just expanded so quickly since its inception. There are certainly growing pains that must be tackled quickly & swiftly so staying nimble is critical. The job certainly requires commitment and a vested interest but that's the whole team's mentality so it's compelling to adopt it all the same.

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

Since nothing was originally posted in response to this 4-year-old review, I want to take a moment to address the points outlined here since we've made a lot of changes and improvements to our company's structure, systems, and workflows in the last 4 years. We still foster a work hard/play hard mentality. Ultimately we all know we work in the insurance industry, which isn't the sexiest industry in the world. That doesn't stop us from working hard every day to make the best better not just for our company, employees, and clients but also for our industry. Doing so requires that employees buy in to our fast-paced, quick-to-change work environment. We truly want the best for all employees and wish we could make everybody happy enough to have them stick with us for the long-term. Being nimble means that expectations change quickly, sometimes with little notice, which is why the overall commitment to our mission and vision is so important for long-term success. Thanks so much for your honest and fair assessment here. We're always looking for ways to make things better. #onwardandupward, indeed :)

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Hard Work Reaps Great Rewards! Highly Recommended!

Sep 19, 2014 - Renewal Account Manager in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best reason that suretybonds.com is so successful is the people! From Co-workers to Managers they are all amazing and really listen when you have an idea to improve the process in which the company operates. Company Events! And everyday feels like family! These people are serious business minded people that get amazing amounts of work done but find a way to have fun at the same time.

Cons

The learning curve when you first start is rough because Surety is not easy! But the people here at SUPER knowledgeable and give you the tools, time and resources to get up to speed of all there is to know about Surety!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

The new and innovative work environment

Sep 18, 2014 - Broker Liaison in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Dress Code: Whatever you want. Hours: Flexible Company Lunches: When it gets busy the bosses don't forget about the employees. We often get lunches paid for. Company Outings: We have monthly company outings including happy hours, float trips, corn mazes, paint ball wars. Company Atmosphere: It's incredibly laid back. I enjoy coming to work because I'm friends with all my coworkers and enjoy seeing and talking to them all day. Internet Business: All our business is conducted via the internet so you rarely have to see any clients. All correspondence is done on the phone or through email. Company Mascot: There is an English bulldog, WInston, who shows up to work at least once a week to relieve stress, sleep or beg for food. He's fun to have around.

Cons

The only con is not being able to find another job like this if I decide to quit.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Small Company, Big Business!

Sep 19, 2014 - Renewal Assistant in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I just started working at Suretybonds.com and in the first week everyone has been inviting, supportive, and encouraging in everything I've done! The atmosphere around the office is awesome and anyone would be lucky to work around such a hard working but fun group.

Cons

The company has a small business feel so if you're used to more standardized and corporate settings like I was, you may have a little trouble adjusting but if you let yourself into the company culture you'll see why they are so successful.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews

SuretyBonds.com Reviews FAQs

SuretyBonds.com has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 35 reviews left anonymously by employees. 95% of employees would recommend working at SuretyBonds.com to a friend and 90% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, SuretyBonds.com employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at SuretyBonds.com. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

95% of SuretyBonds.com employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated SuretyBonds.com 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.7 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at SuretyBonds.com to be career development, management, benefits and the cons to be culture .

Popular Careers with SuretyBonds.com Job Seekers