SuretyBonds.com Reviews

Josh Kayser
  1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Columbia, MO

I worked at SuretyBonds.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small company with competitive pay. The bosses care and do everything they can to show that. Monthly team building activities and events. Availability to switch to other departments if wanted.

Cons

Favoritism and not enough recognition to the people who truly do care and work hard.

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

We're sorry to hear you didn't feel appropriately recognized and valued for your contributions to our team during your time here, but we're happy to hear that overall your experience was positive. We sincerely hope all employees always feel heard, understood, and appreciated equally by all team members, especially those in management. Our doors are always open to employees who have concerns or ideas they'd like to discuss, but, unfortunately, we can't always offer an immediate answer or solution in the moment. Sometimes further consideration must be fully explored to ensure initiatives are properly implemented and set a good precedent for the entire team's future. We appreciate the time you spent making the best better with us and hope your experience with SuretyBonds.com gave you a good foundation as you pursue new career opportunities.

2. "Good starter job"

4.0
    Former Employee - Transaction Coordinator in Columbia, MO

I worked at SuretyBonds.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Workplace environment, coworkers, pay, community like vibe

Cons

Management, not a lot of room for promotion

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

Thanks for letting us know about your experience here with the SuretyBonds.com family. Were happy to hear you enjoyed the close-knit community and fun work environment we work hard to foster on a daily basis. We're sorry to hear you didn't feel supported by management during your time here and wish you would have shared your frustrations with us before leaving so we could have directly addressed your concerns. As a small entrepreneurial company that currently has about 35 full-time employees split across 5 departments, we have historically worked across departments fairly laterally without a formal promotional ladder to climb. We do have structural plans in place to offer a clearer promotional trajectory for employees starting in 2020. We wish you the best of luck in your future personal and professional endeavors.

3. "Great Leadership and Great Employees"

I have been working at SuretyBonds.com full-time

Pros

Work hard, play hard attitude with attentive yet empowering management.

Cons

None come to mind at the moment.

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

Thanks for sharing your experience working with us! Let us know if you ever have any questions, concerns or suggestions for improving any of our internal systems, departments, or worfklows. #putpeoplefirst

4. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

I have been working at SuretyBonds.com part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work environment, ownership over projects

Cons

Narrow focus on the industry

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

Thanks for letting us know about your experience as a member of our paid internship program! If you have any suggestions for how we can better meet your needs, we'd love to hear them. We do sell surety bonds, so immersing all employees into the surety industry is vital to our continued growth and success as we market and build out our innovative system improvements for an improved customer experience. We hope you're enjoying your time here and learning a lot about not just our company but also the surety industry as a whole. Let us know if you have any suggestions on how we can keep experiences for our internship programs fresh.

5. "Great coworkers"

I have been working at SuretyBonds.com full-time

Pros

Awesome coworkers, relaxed environment, decent lay

Cons

Poor management, lack of respect for employees

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

We're sorry to hear you're not currently satisfied with our management approach and associated company culture we strive to promote every day. With 30 employees spread across 5 departments, it's important to us that all employees feel heard, valued, and appreciated while also being nimble and understanding of the changes we frequently make to our systems, workflows, and employee expectations. Ultimately we're all here to improve the the client's bonding experience, but, unfortunately, we cannot make everybody happy with every decision and change we make. (We would love insight on how to do something like that!) If you'd like to share some specific concerns or suggestions for improvement, you're always welcome to bring them up during our monthly department meetings with the rest of your team present or one-on-one with one or more members of the management team at your discretion. We hope you take this response to heart and help us make the best better not just for clients but also our dedicated employees. #putpeoplefirst #onwardandupward

6. "Good Experience w/ Cool Coworkers"

4.0
     in Columbia, MO

I worked at SuretyBonds.com for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed office environment, gained many skills, CEO and marketing director was always open to giving career advice and recommendations

Cons

Work can become a little mundane, office staff can be cliquey sometimes

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

Thanks for sharing your marketing internship experience with us. We're happy to hear you walked away with some new professional skills and perspectives on life. We're sorry to hear other departments did not seem open to you. We're always brainstorming ways to encourage internal communication and foster rapport across departments, especially when it comes to integrating our short-term student interns into the mix. One way we do this is by sponsoring monthly company events outside of the office that allow employees to get to know one another on a more personal level. We're always open to specific suggestions on how to improve internal communication and cultivate a more meaningful work experience for all employees. Best of luck with your career!

"Great Company"

I have been working at SuretyBonds.com full-time

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere that still knows how to work hard and get the job done. Everyone in the office is like a big family and we are all willing to help each other out at any moment. As a relatively new company, you're encouraged to bring up any new ideas or improvements for the company, which really makes the aspect of working for a small business so unique.

Cons

There is little to no room for growth within the company.

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here at SuretyBonds.com! We're glad to hear your appreciate our laid-back culture and family-style work environment. As a relatively newer and smaller company, we do not have ladders to climb as do more formally structured corporations. We hope to add new advancement opportunities as we continue to grow and expand. We appreciate your hard work and continuous feedback. Keep it up!

8. "SuretyBonds.com Current Employee Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at SuretyBonds.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive but comfortable work environment. Always adapting to ever-changing markets. Keep employees in mind with company events and gatherings outside of work.

Cons

Be prepared to work. Like with any sales job, your performance is measured and you are held accountable to keep up with sales goals.

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

Thanks so much for summarizing your experience with the company throughout your three-year tenure here. We're glad to hear you embrace our work hard, play hard mentality and appreciate our culture as we strive to cultivate a strong work family. Hitting personal sales goals not only helps us and you measure success but also allows us all to find new ways to challenge ourselves, improve our skills, and grow as employees. Please contact management if you need any guidance for continued growth and improvement. #onwardandupward

9. "Amazing place to work!"

I have been working at SuretyBonds.com full-time

Pros

Amazing, pleasant, fast-pace, stress free

Cons

There are no complaints yet

CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER

We're happy to hear you're enjoying your time here at SuretyBonds.com! As always, please let us know if there's anything management can do to improve your day-to-day workflow. We're always open to recommendations we could implement in both the short and long-term that would make work faster, easier, and more enjoyable for our employees.

10. "disappointing company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at SuretyBonds.com full-time

Pros

It was a great learning opportunity for those wanting to get to know the insurance / surety bond industry. The product offered and the customer service is good. There is potential here if ownership can get its act together, make improvements and reduce turnover. Not a bad place for someone straight out of college or high school.

Cons

I wouldn't work for these guys again if they were the last company on earth. There is just too much internal office politics between the sales staff, management and others. The place feels like it's run more like a frat house than a professional office. HR and grown up management is virtually non-existant. Ownership is disengaged, distrusts employees, plays favorites and loves sending nasty, threatening emails to the staff. Employees are busy looking to cover up their own mistakes rather than improve nonsensical processes. The company has made it clear that the sales staff can be eventually be easily replaced by the website.

Owner

People often spend more waking hours with their coworkers than those they live with, so it’s always been important to us that our work family gets along well. The work itself can be arduous, and at the end of the day our people and our culture keep team members coming back to break records day-in-and-day-out. We’re also constantly rewriting the rule book not only for our company but also our industry as a whole, which is why it’s so crucial that our team members be open to learning and adapting on the fly. To achieve this, we look for a few basic characteristics during the hiring process. Trust and personal accountability are everything to us. Candidates must be quick and nimble learners with honesty, integrity, and an internal drive to succeed that aligns with our own. Unfortunately these are not skills we can teach, and, unfortunately, we can’t be perfect in recognizing these traits in every hire we make. We must trust that everyone will show up to do what is right for our clients, our company, our industry, our community, and our people every day without fail. If you commit yourself to integrity, there is no need for micro or mid-level management to weed out “employees looking to cover up mistakes.” The uninitiated may call that management style disengaged, but we call that trust – and we prefer it that way. My hope is that people will see this review for what it is and focus on our company’s core values and mission statement (www.suretybonds.com/about.html) to decide for themselves. We’re always looking for hardworking and educated people committed to showing up every day to make the second-oldest industry in the world better for everyone. If you are teachable, honest, and hardworking, we are a great place for you. Josh Kayser Founder & CEO

Found 21 reviews