Surya Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 22, 2019

2.4
Satya Tiwari

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have to say that I've learned a lot, and I'll admit that not all of it was easy, but I definitely think it has been worth it" (in 4 reviews)

• "I worked with some amazing people" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay, once a year raises, the place is going downhill FAST with losing several of the top Leadership team members and downsizing pay scales" (in 8 reviews)

• "Salaries are not competitive and for the amount of work all of the employees do, no one is compensating appropriately" (in 7 reviews)

"Found Where I Belong"

I have been working at Surya full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth.
    Very flexible and laid back.
    Family Oriented.
    Amazing People.

Cons

It's not for everyone. This type of company (being a family owned and operated business) can be stressful if you are not adaptable and willing to accept and embrace change.

Advice to Management

Remember that you cannot create loyal customers without first creating loyal employees. Continue the improvements and never stop listening.

"STAY FAR AWAY"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in White, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in White, GA

I have been working at Surya full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No micro management and free food every month

Cons

Pay-unrealistic sales goals. Horrible benefits, and lack of communication from management. Stay clear from Surya

Advice to Management

Go through training again

3. "Toxic Management environment, required to work 70 hour weeks & travel over 180 days a year"

I worked at Surya full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having a great team of showroom labor that completed tasks quickly and on time

Cons

60 hour weeks for Salary employees, when asked why we had to work 60 hour weeks and everyone else only 40 the response from upper management was its part of the job, if you don't like it someone else will do it. I had employees directly under me that had been there 8+ years and still only getting $8 per hour, while a new hire working with me was getting $10 per hour, this is wrong and illegal.
    The company had HR call me to let me go and gave no explanation why, then my two co- worker's were let go 3 weeks later.

Advice to Management

Start a new company, the previous management and founding partner's left the company after 20 years due to your improper management. This company will continue to run itself further into the ground until management changes hands. You don't have enough time to change your processes and you just get angry at your employees when you didn't give them any job training in the first place. HORRIBLE management! JOKE OF A COMPANY!

"Don't want to leave"

I have been working at Surya full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people/team atmosphere
    Laid back work environment
    Team feels like family
    Ability to make changes & adapt very quickly
    Fun & creative industry
    Ability to travel to markets
    PTO
    Beautiful product! & employee discounts

Cons

Salary is not competitive for the industry + time you put in
    Leadership/Management is not stable (constant turnover)
    Some vets bring negative attitudes into a now evolving company
    Benefits/Medical is expensive for family

Advice to Management

Hire the right upper management who will STAY and you can TRUST. Once they are in play, take a back seat & let those folks do the jobs you hired them to do. CEOs do not need to have their hand in everything because at times that can be the company's biggest downfall. The company has come to a fork in the road; I hope management makes the right decisions so Surya employees can feel secure & continue to grow.

"Textile Designers: Do no work here"

Former Employee - Designer, Product Development in White, GA
    Former Employee - Designer, Product Development in White, GA

I worked at Surya full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You will learn a lot about what you actually deserve in a company
    -I met some amazing people
    -Good name to have on resume
    -Ping Pong

Cons

-Turnover rate of employees
    -The commute and money spent on gas if you live in Atlanta
    -Micro-managing and there is no trust in their employees
    -Working from home is not an option and have to take PTO for Doctor appointments unless your manager has a little trust in you and has to be done discreetly
    -Salaries are not competitive and for the amount of work all of the employees do, no one is compensating appropriately.
    -The President of the company has the biggest ego and nothing will change him
    -Monthly company meetings are basically a false facade to make employees think that the company cares about them: the President tells wildly inappropriate jokes and it’s a waste of time.
    -The President of the company also talks down to his employees in extremely inappropriate ways and needs to be reported to HR, no one should be treated like that especially by the President of the company who tries to instill the company’s values on everyone

-FOR PROSPECTIVE DESIGNERS: NO DESIGN BRIEFS ARE GIVEN; A senior levels should know how to develop a brief and communicate to fellow designers what the specifics of a project are and this has never happened after asking multiple times.
    -Junior and intern level positions do senior-level work and don’t get the credit
    -Leadership team does not support their employees. Their only goal is to make money and they do not provide support, competitive salaries or a 'family' environment
    -Product Development Specifically: management of the department do not have design backgrounds and do not understand the necessary processes that need to be put in place to design and work efficiently
        -No sense of textile knowledge from Senior level and there is always push-back and attitude
        -Be prepared to do all of your work in addition to having all of the senior designer’s work put onto your plate
        -Everything is last minute and there is no sense of preparation to design complete and well-thought out collections
        -They do not give you recognition or the credit that is deserved for the work that you do
        -The gas lighting that happens in Product Development is ridiculous
    -No trust or support for designers to do creative research days which is necessary when you work in the middle of nowhere

Advice to Management

-HR and Leadership need to do more thorough interviews and assessments of designers. One simple CAD test should not suffice and people should have necessary qualifications for their role, especially senior level; if someone becomes a manager with no managerial experience, that’s a problem.
    -Just because he is the President of the company, his comments shouldn't be pushed aside and forgotten about. Hear what your employees are saying and actually try to fix things that are extremely broken in the company

"Swearing and Name Calling"

I worked at Surya full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parking is easy
    Office is clean
    Discounts on products

Cons

Swearing
    Name Calling
    CEO has huge ego

Advice to Management

Stop swearing and name calling

"Analyst"

I worked at Surya full-time

Pros

fun company to work it

Cons

easy to get bored sometimes

"Inside Sales Department"

I worked at Surya full-time

Pros

Can make some great friendships!

Cons

Surya could be a great company once a new management team and CEO are in place. Management only cares about the people they like, and gossips more than anyone in the company. No true training other than shadowing other employees. A lot of plans for thing to change, yet nothing ever changes.

Advice to Management

Treat each person on the team the same. You are in a management role to make sure each person on your team is hitting their goals, not just the people you want too. Be truthful to your employees in regards to their career advancement.

"DON'T JOIN THIS COMPANY"

I worked at Surya full-time

Pros

This company make you realize you deserve much better than working here

Cons

poor Leadership, poor Management, worst Work environment, Poor benefits and policies

"CEO won't change so don't think he will"

I worked at Surya full-time

Pros

great product and really great people working there. the people put in the extra effort to keep the company going.

Cons

ceo micro manages and is abusive. his mood varies and you never know if you'll get trashed in front of colleagues. he won't change. he's burned through so many people it's laughable. try and find someone there longer than 2-3 years. if they are there longer, they have no other options. really, don't believe it's better now because it can't be as long as the current ceo is leading.

Advice to Management

advice doesn't matter. the place churns through so many people and yet the ceo behavior continues.