SusieCakes Reviews | Glassdoor

"General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All companies have their pros and cons and I can honestly say that the pros outweigh any con that I have ever experienced at SusieCakes. Susan along with the Senior Leaders, truly care about the growth and development of every team member. I have been with the company for two years and am amazed by how empowering and motivating Susan is. Susan, Houston, and our VP are always willing to help -i.e working behind the counter and in the kitchen, taking orders, greeting and talking to customers, etc. I have never had a doubt that the culture was lost or gone and that my voice wasn’t heard.

Upper management has an open door policy so they are always willing to listen to any concern and address it in a timely manner. The saying, “If you work hard you play hard”, is true because when at work I don’t ever feel like its draining or a toxic environment, we have fun as a team and we work hard to create delicious desserts for our customers. We have amazing quarterly luncheons and every holiday we have potlucks for the team, and our senior leaders are there to join us in the fun!

Susan and Houston are the backbone of the company and it has never been stronger. I have recommended this company to my friends and family because the company culture alone is one of the many things that I fell in love with. Another perk that shows they are socially responsible is the pet adoption reimbursement program that they offer. This program encourages employees to adopt pets to save them from shelters. I see myself at SusieCakes for the long run and am happy to work here.

Cons

They recently came out with a social media policy that does not allow any pictures to be taken of the desserts which for some is a con because they want to promote their hard work.

"Caring company"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at SusieCakes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours
    Free desserts
    Friendly staff

Cons

Lots of unnecessary little rules
    Manager was disrespectful

Advice to Management

Please check up on employees and personally ask them what they think of management or their manager, because sometimes the employees are too scared to speak up themselves ..

3. "Too little Too Late Susan and Houston"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time

Pros

It is a job and we get to do what we like to do. Discount is fun, and the people who work here are great.

Cons

Where to begin? If Susan thinks her thank you is genuine to any of us right now then Susiecakes is in a worst position than we even thought. We all worked so hard to become a strong team and helped each other out whenever needed. We became a true team here, and that was because of our leaders we had in our area and just like that we were told changes were being made. Nobody cared to ask us how we felt, and a certificate doesn't make up for it either. Feels wrong and bad

Advice to Management

Someone else just said it, listen to your teams and stop being fake, and tell your new vp he makes people uncomfortable with his hugs. To upper management you should try to lead by example and value real hard work. oh and pay people better

"This company isn't what it was when it started years ago."

Current Employee - Head Baker in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Head Baker in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free treats while we work, as well as a 50% discount on future orders. The people in our bakeries are hard workers that really care.

Cons

Upper Management doesn't care about hard work, they only care about saving a dollar. The people that have worked hard to support us in the field are the ones that keep leaving. Expectations are unrealistic to what can get done within our four walls each day, and although we try all we hear are the negative things (bakeries are dirty, standards are low). Morale is low in every bakery and no one cares, not even Susan!

Advice to Management

We talk one team, one goal but when it comes down to it it's every man for themselves. Our advise to you Susiecakes is listen to your teams, the people that are still here and treat us better because this job and your so called story is becoming less and less "real".

6. "Pastry specialist"

Former Employee - Pastry Specialist in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Pastry Specialist in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at SusieCakes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours were good, the product is made up of basic items so it's easy work. Owner of the company is super sweet and isn't afraid to walk in and help out if it's needed.

Cons

The company as a whole takes on the aspect of working with you to make it possible to be a working mother, however that is not the case at the Woodland Hills location. Kitchen management are extremely hard to please and are borderline catty like being in high school all over again if you're not in the "in crowd"

Advice to Management

Review kitchen management and provide more guidance on the company goals

7. "Work Life at SusieCakes"

Former Employee - Guest Services II
    Former Employee - Guest Services II

I worked at SusieCakes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an associate, you receive major holidays off. You receive a 50% off discount on desserts before the optional, but additional cost of decorations. There is opportunity to grow within the company. Usually involving a $1 raise. Entry-level pay was $12.00 plus tips.

Cons

Because it is a fast growing company, you do not receive proper attention for conflicts within the workplace from the general manager or district manager. The company boast work-life balance being a core value. However, mom's that worked at my store had trouble receiving days off for their kids' key dates. Even if requested a month in advance and coverage was available. Managers are meant to give you a "cupcake chat" to discuss your performance, concerns, suggestions, and possible promotions every 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, and year. These were often not presented as detailed in the employee handbook. Travel compensation is very minimal.

Advice to Management

Have a confrontation-free way of discussing problems between team member and team member as well as team member to management so that all parties are satisfied. Encourage managers not to blatantly talk behind team members back as it decreases moral. Have an easy way of discussing in-store conflict with Susan.

8. "Mainly great!"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work with and the owner is very approachable, friendly. Love that they mainly promote from within. I like that it is a smaller company and not too bogged down by corporate crap which seems to the case with larger companies.

Cons

Pay is way under average for the area given the cost of living. At my last job in the same industry I was making $3.00 more an hour than I do now. Hopefully they will realize the need to pay more to retain great, loyal employees.

Advice to Management

See above

"Expect a lot for little pay"

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member

Pros

You get to take home almost whatever you want at the end of the night which is awesome! The other guest service members are also pretty cool.

Cons

Corporate can be greedy. They seem to make decision not based on what's best for the employees. For example, there was an 11-7:30 shift that we would work, but sometimes we would finish around 7:35. So 5 minutes of overtime. To combat this 5 minutes of overtime, corporate told the GM to schedule people a half hour later coming in and a half hour later leaving, so 11:30-8. The problem with that is we never finish at 8, usually the latest 7:35, and we are forced to clock out as soon as we are done. I don't think that's right. If we are scheduled for a certain time, I think we should be able to clock out at that time, not a half hour early.
     Also hours in the slow months suck. So March-August basically. Some weeks I would only get 15 hours, which would suck.
    I never understood why we tell the guests everything is baked fresh when not everything is. I feel like that's totally lying to the guests.
    Not all the kitchen, but some members would very rude. You would go back to tell them something, such as pulling a cake or asking if they would add writing to an order, and they would seem very aggitated with you. If the guest services didn't say hi to the kitchen when we came in, we would get called out for being rude and made to go say hi. But when some of the kitchen staff would leave, they wouldn't say anything to us. Double standards.
    I know it's possible to happen anywhere, but at my store, I felt as though there were definitely favorites. Some of the employees told me that they were pulled aside and called all stars. That doesn't make the rest of us feel very good. When shifts would open up, instead of offering it to the one who had fewest hours, it would go to the one the GM liked the best. Kind of petty. My GM was very nice and cool, but I felt that she did show some favoritism.
    I would say my biggest problem is that they hold the employees to a high standard, which is great, but they pay minimum wage. For how they want you to hold yourself, they don't accommodate in pay. I have worked at hotels before where they hold you to the same levels and pay is $12-15 an hour. You could get minimum wage at McDonald's and not have to act any kind of way. I get that the better job you do, there's chance to move up. But it goes up by dollar incriments over a long period of time.

Advice to Management

I think you should make sure the choices you make are what's best for your employees, not the other way around. Not allowing to take off time for months is not family/work life balance. There's rumors now that we will be open Sunday's, and if that's true, nothing really separates the company from any other company anymore. I get Susan wants to expand and grow, but if chik fil a can stay closed on Sunday's, why can't we?
    I also think you should take complaints more seriously. There was an AGM who received a lot of complaints from guests in store and on Yelp, and nothing was done for a long time. She even got a complaint from a guest who actually wrote a letter to Susan herself complaining about the way she was treated and they way the AGM treated the employee helping her. If someone complains that much, please take it seriously.
    There's also not enough positive feedback. We always heard what we needed to work on and fix, but rarely heard the good things. Cupcake chats every few months where you hear a few good things is not enough to motivate an employee.

10. "Great Short-term Company"

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time

Pros

Amazing products
    great training program
    Awesome co-workers
    Great hours for hospitality

Cons

You can get promoted, but they are so picky with who they choose. So it is best to come into the company with management experience to get anywhere.

It does get repetitive.

11. "Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to work your way up, you absolutely can, you just have to be vocal about it. The company wants to see people grow, so they truly want to honor those that do. Great career company vs just a job type place.

Cons

It's starting to get more and more corporate. The appeal is to always have Sundays off for "family work and life balance" but moving forward, all new locations are to be open Sundays. It's been said eventually all bakeries will go to Sundays. Coming from the food service, Sundays off are a rare find.

Advice to Management

Get a training program for new team members. It's difficult to try and train new team members during working hours. It doesn't work well.