SusieCakes Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
SusieCakes Founder Susan Sarich
Susan Sarich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Growing company that lives the value of developing team members by constantly promoting from within" (in 6 reviews)

• "Delicious baked goods, dog-friendly, clean facility" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance for salaried team members (General Managers and Head Bakers) varies depending on the time of year and how well-staffed the bakery is" (in 7 reviews)

• "Overworked, very high expectations, and inconsistent work schedule" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to grow."

I worked at SusieCakes full-time

Pros

If you're looking for upward mobility, training and a place where you can truly make a career, SusiecCakes is one of the best in the hospitality/culinary industry. They provide ample education/training for employees and invest in those that want to move up. There is fantastic work/life balance, a rarity in the industry. This is a company where you can make lifelong colleagues and friends. And who doesn't love a place where sampling amazing desserts is part of the job description? Fast-paced and fun, a career not just a job, SusieCakes is a place I loved being and will always cherish.

Cons

With any business, there can be growing pains on occasion and change can be difficult. But despite any changes, SusieCakes has stayed true to the values over the years and has never compromised on the quality of their goods and service.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Invest in those that want to grow.

Sep 20, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your time and candor. From the beginning, SusieCakes has been committed to providing a workplace that surpasses industry expectations. We appreciate your patience and for upholding our... More

2. "Wonderful company"

I worked at SusieCakes full-time

Pros

The people are amazing and the company really cares for its employees

Cons

Working weekends/holidays, but that comes with the industry

Sep 20, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking a moment to reflect on your experience. We wish you the best!

3. "Assistant manager"

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time

Pros

Free birthday cakes and steady schedule

Cons

No work life balance. No training. We don’t get paid for holidays.

Advice to Management

Fully train employees.

4. "Started off great! Didn’t go as I thought..."

Former Employee - Guest Service I in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service I in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SusieCakes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-50 % off
    -Free take home every night
    -Tips
    -Hours were consistent

My personal journey...It was not a bad few years, in fact I really liked working at SusieCakes. Along with every job, leave your emotions at the door the best you can. Business is business so don’t take it so personal. (I learned this to be extra helpful during my time with SusieCakes.)
    Now granted...It certainly had its moments but what job doesn’t. I was offered a higher position on the spot and worked for the company over 2 years. I loved my coworkers, the guests weren’t too bad, and hours were usually consistent.
    I became full-time and couldn’t wait to move up to an asst gen manager. That’s when things got sticky...
    Being a supervisor (as they call, manager on duty aka “MOD”) really showed me a side of SusieCakes that didn’t mesh well with me. There is a TON of excessive drama, a lot of the team bring their personal life with them to work daily, I found no one performing “One Team One Goal” ever...it was all a bit much if I’m being honest.
    In addition, the turnover rate is excruciatingly high. We could never get someone to interview and positions were constantly being redefined, altered or cut entirely.
    Susan and Houston are beyond kind and loving. You don’t see them but 1X/mo but they’re super kind! The VP and HR on the other hand...very difficult to communicate with and talk a bit low upon you.
    I recommend this place for someone in college needing PT hours...it isn’t a long life career like I thought it would be. All the folks with the company for several years are all great friends of Susan herself. Anyway thanks for reading.

Cons

-Communication
    -Attitudes
    -OTOG was never in play

Advice to Management

Honestly? Be in the “know” about how your managers are to others. Alert yourself about the comments made on a constant basis that violate HR... Open your eyes a little more and help team members GROW and get RAISES! Reach out!!

Oct 5, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We always value honesty and transparency, striving to learn and grow from any missteps along the way. We take all team member concerns seriously and in the months that... More

5. "Have Fun, Work Hard and Eat Cake!"

Current Employee - Former General Manager, Current Seasonal Guest Service I in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a fun and challenging career where you will work with highly skilled leaders in the hospitality industry look no further than SusieCakes. This company will make you a part of a wonderful community that values work-life balance just as much a financial success! The owner built this company herself so you always feel like there is a hard-working and real human being behind the brand.

I can’t speak highly enough of my experience working as a General Manager at SusieCakes. Not only is the product easy to stand behind because it’s delicious and flawlessly executed; Susan and Houston are present and connected. They both strive to be active in their business and provide their leaders with everything they need to succeed. They also provide generous pay, benefits, and seniority incentives.

They foster community by actively discouraging competitiveness between stores and they make every single person feel 100% like part of a team. Susan has put in an infrastructure that promotes effective communication so that all team members help each other, and work hard to ensure that every store is equally successful. District leaders are in place to help support and strategize the individual needs of a location within the needs of the company. I love that there is an SOP in place for running every aspect of the business which helps promote confidence and ensures that every store runs the same.

Leaders are encouraged to promote from within which in turn encourages team members to work hard because there is always room to grow. There are high expectations. You will definitely work hard here (everyone does) and sometimes you will wear different hats, but you will always feel supported and appreciated. This place is constantly evolving, and every leader has a voice.

(I would still be there full-time if I didn’t live out of the area)

Cons

No cons at this time!

Sep 20, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are pleased to hear that your interactions and development throughout your career have been genuine and thoughtful. Facilitating an environment where... More

"I had a very positive experience..."

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at SusieCakes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work hard and see the company invest in your desires. For example, I started as a GS4, got promoted to GS1 quickly.
    - Like a family - everyone has each others backs.
    - Good Pay, good tips.
    - I honestly enjoyed it! Give them your all and get back a LOT from them.

Cons

- Boxing up cakes and treats gets repetitive and boring lol.

Advice to Management

Thanks for listening and investing in me.

Sep 4, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate you taking a moment to give feedback on your experience. Our team members are our greatest assets, so thank you for contributing to our family. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

7. "Cake Decorator"

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at SusieCakes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even though I didn't come in with deep cake decorating experience, they taught me the basics.
    When I originally set up my hours, they were pretty flexible. I only worked 16hrs/week for a year and some change.
    All the of the GMs and Head Bakers I have met have been really nice people

Cons

Not much formal growth in position or compensation.
    Sometimes they are very strict about vacation time

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Sometimes it feels like there are a lot of secrets that nobody can talk about.

Jul 8, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your experience. Culture is important to us, so we are pleased that you felt your leadership was supportive. We hope you voiced your concerns to your... More

8. "Guest Service Team Member"

I worked at SusieCakes part-time

Pros

Great work environment
    Fun, positive, upbeat coworkers
    Very structured/organized
    As an employee, you are valued by management and the company
    Susan (founder/owner) is extremely kind and would visit the bakeries frequently

Cons

Extremely hectic at times
    Long hours (sometimes)

Advice to Management

Great business, great product. Keep it up!

Jul 8, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for contributing to an ongoing conversation. Susan's first criteria for working here is to be someone who loves connecting with people, so we are happy to hear your team is exemplifying... More

9. "General Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bakery Closes at 7pm, Flexibility in writing own schedule, Opportunity to learn new skills, Leadership is open to feedback, Many opportunity to promote and advance in your career path, Everyone is very friendly and happy to be at work.

Cons

10-12 hour shifts for management positions, communication can be challenging at times,

Jun 15, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts. We are proud to offer career opportunities at all experience levels with people who genuinely care for one another. Your willingness to speak... More

10. "Delivery Driver"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free leftovers and cake discounts

Cons

Lots of duties, same pay rate

Jun 1, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the time you took to provide feedback. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. If you have not done so already, please provide your additional thoughts in your exit... More