SusieCakes Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

4.0
SusieCakes Founder Susan Sarich
Susan Sarich
Pros
  • "Susan and Houston stop by the bakery frequently when that are passing through town(in 18 reviews)

• "Susan is so humble and remembers things that have been told to her from each team members, years after the fact(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance is non existent(in 13 reviews)

• "Very untrustworthy upper management, more specifically human resources(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great

Dec 21, 2020 - Sales Associate/Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, fun environment. Good food

Cons

Long hours, not good pay. Bossy Manager

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Beware

May 7, 2021 - Guest Service III in Manhattan Beach, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The owner Susan is sweet

Cons

Aside from a sweet owner whom you rarely see, the rest of upper management could careless of you as an employee. They will use and abuse your good nature and fight you tooth an nail from going in the company. They would rather you be silent and complicit and blindly follow what management asks of you. They will claim to be a family based company but this is only true if you are management if you are below management they will tell you when you need to take care of a family member “that sounds like something someone else can do for you”. And don’t go to HR they will do nothing they sit there and let what you say go in one ear and out the other. If you are injured no one will care they will make you work regardless and if you are sick and try calling out they berate you till you cave and come in. Even with covid, if you tell them you have a sore throat and don’t feel well management wouldn’t let you call out they still expected you in the store.

3. 4.0

Mixed bag between FOH and BOH

Apr 11, 2021 - Customer Service Associate in Newport Beach, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Decent benefits for full-time workers (relative to other places) -FOH does not work extremely early nor extremely late -Being able to take home leftover product -Encouragement to learn more -Company encouraged and rewarded great customer service and going the extra mile

Cons

-Emphasis on uniformity and homogeneity can be frustrating -Training often feels like it falls to the wayside and you have to seek it out very intentionally and personally -Work relationships often felt very clique-y and like the managers definitely had "favorites" amongst workers. -Though claims to have "competitive pay", it still felt way too little and they struggled to hire enough BOH employees. This contributed to having way too few BOH staff and we were constantly understaffed and stressed with workload. This also meant that BOH management was often harsher and less concerned with helping or growing lower level employees and it was often a very stressful environment

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Love the culture they stand for.

Apr 25, 2021 - Prep Cook/Dishwasher in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Loved the people I worked with for the most part. Love the culture the company stands for.

Cons

Mostly female staff so it gets catty.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Sweet gig!

Nov 10, 2020 - Market Leader
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been a part of career growth opportunities, and have witnessed and facilitated the growth of others. We work with an overall great crew, those who are happy to come into work really want to make their co-works jobs easier our guest happy, very one team one goal vibe. There has been limited turn over compared to prior hospitality jobs and I am able to consistently make peoples day better by treating them to something sweet!

Cons

No Specific Cons, however folks should be aware of a few things. The jobs are more difficult than they appear from the outsides, its not all cute cake and cookies, our teams are just awesome and make it appear easy :). While we have holidays off, we work right up until the day before, no taking off early for flights.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

this is a place of work

Feb 8, 2021 - Guest Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

they have the best cookies

Cons

management is a mess but its a small business

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Love & Miss SC

Nov 17, 2020 - General Manager in Long Beach, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

SusieCakes has a set of core values and beliefs that truly stand apart from the rest. They uphold their teams to the highest of standards that allow us to truly be successful both inside and outside of the bakeries. SusieCakes taught me so much as a leader and assisted in looking to your team within for growth before externalizing. Bonus plan/structure for General Managers on a quarterly basis, they are very upfront about what is needed to hit your bonuses on a percentage basis, which allowed me to either hit or exceed 100% each quarter during my time. Susan and Houston stop by the bakery frequently when that are passing through town. These are by far the best employers I’ve ever had. Susan is so humble and remembers things that have been told to her from each team members, years after the fact. They are genuine and believe in the leadership representing their bakeries which helps make us feel empowered to make the right decisions on their behalf. I worked for SC for 4 years when Covid hit and it was difficult to watch and see the company shut down. I have been back to the bakery several times either visiting or buying product because I love the company and team that work within. *I only did not return due to medical reasons*

Cons

Depends on who you ask, holidays are absolutely bananas, but are my favorite time of year! Overtime is required for everyone but it is such a fun and rewarding feeling of accomplishment when the day/holidays are over. Wish they had a work remote position for HOST!

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

More Negative than Positive

Jul 5, 2020 - Assistant General Manager in Studio City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fellow team members for the most part are awesome and work hard, free baked goods to take home at the end of the day, everything is made from scratch and fresh, you have the freedom to help guests create their dream cake and truly “make days better” (part of the company’s mission statement).

Cons

Upper management does not support staff on the floor when busy (or in general), they would rather be in the office hiding from guests and rely on everyone else to do the work. Management is gossipy, unprofessional, and will speak ill of you to other employees instead of giving constructive feedback directly to better their staff. They claim they support “work/life balance” though if you aren’t willing to bend over backwards for them it is seen as a negative, they will guilt you to conform to their needs. SusieCakes lives by “the customer is always right” mentality and guests take advantage of this by being rude to staff, falsifying issues in order to get free credit or free items constantly, and the company will not try and understand the situation fully. Culinary Team segregates themselves from Guest Service, they think they are superior though it should be a ‘one team, one goal’ mindset.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0

Doesn't meet their own Core Values

Feb 19, 2021 - Head Baker
      Business Outlook

Pros

They offer competitive pay, standard benefits and an attainable growth path

Cons

There is no work-life balance. They are demanding and have little room for error, especially when it comes to labor cost and margins. Be ready to work up to 15 hours on the busiest days and a minimum of 10 hours on slow days.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Sweet Success

Nov 11, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most companies say they are committed to culture, but it doesn't materialize, so I am glad to have found my "home" at SusieCakes, where this focus is alive and well! We strive every day to display empathy and mindfulness at all levels, both internally and externally. Our constant pursuit of a providing a better professional experience and development to all of us who work here speaks for itself. From the newest hire to Susan, what we have in common is that we recognize our impact on others. Covid threw the industry for a loop this year, but SusieCakes has brilliant leadership at the helm to be sure that we continue our success, even in such a difficult time. To that end, SusieCakes does the right thing, even when no one is looking. I am confident that we will come through this stronger than before and resume opening new bakeries in the near future. In the meantime, we are focused on making people smile, especially during a time where it is difficult to remember that there is always something to celebrate. I am challenged in my role daily, but also know that I am supported at the same time so I am afforded more growth than elsewhere in my career thus far. During our monthly Zooms, it is so moving to see such a diverse group of people from all corners of the industry continue to build on former successes and thrive. The fact that I get to be a part of that team is such a win.

Cons

The nature of our business does require working holidays (except for Thanksgiving, Dec. 25-27, and New Years Day), but our operating hours make it so that we can still be a part of celebrations of our own.

SusieCakes Response

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We are looking forward to resuming our growth in 2021!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 128 Reviews