SusieCakes Reviews | Glassdoor

Susan Sarich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Celebration Specialist"

I worked at SusieCakes full-time

Pros

Great team environment. CEO is a very nice woman. Discount on bakery goods.

Cons

Working all holidays and weekends.

2. "The most unique company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience with SusieCakes has been overall positive. You truly feel like your role, no matter a dishwasher or a head baker, is important to the success of the company. The culture is very specific and the attention to standards and accountability are not for everyone, but this is the first place I've worked that I don't feel like just another number in a sea of employees. Susan is inspiring as a woman in business and makes it a point to connect with each team member when she is in the bakery, often remembering details of their last conversation or their personal life.

Perks of the company include insurance, 401k after 1 year of service, gifts for completing years of service, including a trip for 2 to Hawaii on your 10 year anniversary. Several people are approaching that and it's exciting to know that many people have chosen SusieCakes as their career. Team members can take home end of day cupcakes that are not donated to local food banks and a 50% discount is extended on all treats.

As SusieCakes grows, more opportunities are becoming available for travel, training and new positions.

Cons

Bakery managers often work long hours, especially during the holiday seasons. District Leaders need a better training program. Adjust food and labor cost goals as new seasonal products are introduced and added to product line.

"General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All companies have their pros and cons and I can honestly say that the pros outweigh any con that I have ever experienced at SusieCakes. Susan along with the Senior Leaders, truly care about the growth and development of every team member. I have been with the company for two years and am amazed by how empowering and motivating Susan is. Susan, Houston, and our VP are always willing to help -i.e working behind the counter and in the kitchen, taking orders, greeting and talking to customers, etc. I have never had a doubt that the culture was lost or gone and that my voice wasn’t heard.

Upper management has an open door policy so they are always willing to listen to any concern and address it in a timely manner. The saying, “If you work hard you play hard”, is true because when at work I don’t ever feel like its draining or a toxic environment, we have fun as a team and we work hard to create delicious desserts for our customers. We have amazing quarterly luncheons and every holiday we have potlucks for the team, and our senior leaders are there to join us in the fun!

Susan and Houston are the backbone of the company and it has never been stronger. I have recommended this company to my friends and family because the company culture alone is one of the many things that I fell in love with. Another perk that shows they are socially responsible is the pet adoption reimbursement program that they offer. This program encourages employees to adopt pets to save them from shelters. I see myself at SusieCakes for the long run and am happy to work here.

Cons

They recently came out with a social media policy that does not allow any pictures to be taken of the desserts which for some is a con because they want to promote their hard work.

4. "Great people and culture"

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time

Pros

- You get to be part of an expanding company and be involved in how it grows. With lots of bakeries there is usually an opportunity to stay with the company if you move location.
    - The people. Even as the company grows, the emphasis lies on maintaining the culture: fun, friendly, outgoing personalities and hardworking team players. I love my team!
    - Fun rewards/perks: taking home leftover cupcakes at the end of the day, quarterly team lunches with a $50 prize for the team-nominated "Team Member of the Quarter", $5 gift cards for team members who go above and beyond, annual Manager Appreciation Day, reimbursement for dog/cat adoption.
    - Internal growth opportunities. The company always tries to promote from within where possible. As it grows, more positions open up.
    - Training program: SusieCakes has a "Professor of Celebration" who creates and updates training materials. All team members go through comprehensive training for their position and there are additional district-wide training sessions for certain positions.
    - Overtime often available for hourly team members
    - Good benefits including 401k
    - Closed for Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years Day. Some bakeries are closed on Sundays.
    - Strong support network among General Managers and Head Bakers

Cons

- Work/life balance for salaried team members (General Managers and Head Bakers) varies depending on the time of year and how well-staffed the bakery is. You work more hours during the build up to Holidays, especially Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Valentine's Day.
    - Appearance standards are strict

5. "Guest Service I: trained to be a manager on duty for the Guest Services Team"

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member in Laguna Niguel, CA

I have been working at SusieCakes part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SusieCakes is a fun, upbeat environment. The company values employees who are outgoing, hospitable, and hard workers. They really look for people who work well with their team and hold a stage interview where you work in the store for an hour to see what you would be like in the SusieCakes family.

Cons

While they are often shortened hours and will sometimes be compensated with extra pay, you will have to work holidays.

"Caring company"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at SusieCakes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours
    Free desserts
    Friendly staff

Cons

Lots of unnecessary little rules
    Manager was disrespectful

Advice to Management

Please check up on employees and personally ask them what they think of management or their manager, because sometimes the employees are too scared to speak up themselves ..

"Too little Too Late Susan and Houston"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time

Pros

It is a job and we get to do what we like to do. Discount is fun, and the people who work here are great.

Cons

Where to begin? If Susan thinks her thank you is genuine to any of us right now then Susiecakes is in a worst position than we even thought. We all worked so hard to become a strong team and helped each other out whenever needed. We became a true team here, and that was because of our leaders we had in our area and just like that we were told changes were being made. Nobody cared to ask us how we felt, and a certificate doesn't make up for it either. Feels wrong and bad

Advice to Management

Someone else just said it, listen to your teams and stop being fake, and tell your new vp he makes people uncomfortable with his hugs. To upper management you should try to lead by example and value real hard work. oh and pay people better

"Pastry specialist"

Former Employee - Pastry Specialist in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Pastry Specialist in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at SusieCakes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours were good, the product is made up of basic items so it's easy work. Owner of the company is super sweet and isn't afraid to walk in and help out if it's needed.

Cons

The company as a whole takes on the aspect of working with you to make it possible to be a working mother, however that is not the case at the Woodland Hills location. Kitchen management are extremely hard to please and are borderline catty like being in high school all over again if you're not in the "in crowd"

Advice to Management

Review kitchen management and provide more guidance on the company goals

9. "Work Life at SusieCakes"

Former Employee - Guest Services II
    Former Employee - Guest Services II

I worked at SusieCakes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an associate, you receive major holidays off. You receive a 50% off discount on desserts before the optional, but additional cost of decorations. There is opportunity to grow within the company. Usually involving a $1 raise. Entry-level pay was $12.00 plus tips.

Cons

Because it is a fast growing company, you do not receive proper attention for conflicts within the workplace from the general manager or district manager. The company boast work-life balance being a core value. However, mom's that worked at my store had trouble receiving days off for their kids' key dates. Even if requested a month in advance and coverage was available. Managers are meant to give you a "cupcake chat" to discuss your performance, concerns, suggestions, and possible promotions every 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, and year. These were often not presented as detailed in the employee handbook. Travel compensation is very minimal.

Advice to Management

Have a confrontation-free way of discussing problems between team member and team member as well as team member to management so that all parties are satisfied. Encourage managers not to blatantly talk behind team members back as it decreases moral. Have an easy way of discussing in-store conflict with Susan.

10. "Mainly great!"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SusieCakes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work with and the owner is very approachable, friendly. Love that they mainly promote from within. I like that it is a smaller company and not too bogged down by corporate crap which seems to the case with larger companies.

Cons

Pay is way under average for the area given the cost of living. At my last job in the same industry I was making $3.00 more an hour than I do now. Hopefully they will realize the need to pay more to retain great, loyal employees.

Advice to Management

See above