Susquehanna Bancshares Reviews | Glassdoor

Susquehanna Bancshares Reviews

Updated July 16, 2017

2.0
Susquehanna Bancshares Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Susquehanna Bank William J. Reuter
William J. Reuter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Micromanaged"

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time

Pros

They offered a generous PTO package as well as many paid holidays.

Cons

A lot of sales pressure, major micromanaging issues

Advice to Management

Do not focus on sales, focus on excellent customer service and sales will come. Stop allowing toxic leaders to advance and stay in control.

2. "Branch Relationship Manager"

Former Employee - Brm
    Former Employee - Brm

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was very close to my house

Cons

Too many to list here

3. "Risk Management"

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time

Pros

Have several different types of subsidiaries, provides you 2x your base salary of life insurance, and you also get a Turkey Hill coupon for free ice cream on your birthday.

Cons

Very "old boys club" mentality and corporate structure (All white males are at the top Executive Management). After 5 long years of working there, you only get rewarded with a "STAR" pin (that isn't even made out of sterling silver). Other days of the year, you're force to wear the "STAR" pin which had ruined some of my clothings. If you're a male, you'll have more opportunities to advance in your career.

Advice to Management

Let's get with the 21st century and start relaxing on the dress code rules, give flexible work schedules, give real rewards for 5 year work anniversary such as gift cards or something useful, and have more diversity at the Executive level.

"High Expectations, minimal reward"

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team based environment
    Great customer service experience
    Full benefits portfolio

Cons

Little advancement opportunity
    Poor compensation
    Expectation is Job comes first
    Poor work/life balance
    High ownership turnover

Advice to Management

Increase base salaries.

"Workforce Management Specialist -not great for the ambitious or sensible."

Former Employee - Workforce Management Specialist in Lititz, PA
    Former Employee - Workforce Management Specialist in Lititz, PA

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were okay. Also, some coworkers were easy going and cooperative. Located in beautiful Lititz PA.

Cons

SUSQ uses the cheapest software to accomplish everything. This made it especially difficult for me to do my job.

Reporting call center statistics was a joke because I knew the software was reporting false information.

That didn't matter to management, as they were more concerned with conducting their precious small groups training than having the department effectively serving customers.

Employee scheduling was just terrible because the company cannot attract many qualified applicants, since they refuse to pay reasonable wages. This made it easy for employees to walk all over management since we weren't going to fire them. This in turn affected my performance and let me earn a whopping 200 dollar yearly bonus while my leaders got millions.

Advice to Management

Stop paying your employees like high school students and posting articles in the intranet about how well we are performing and how big your bonuses are.

6. "It's an alright job for someone just starting working but if you want more it's not really the place to be."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is alright and you are in a decent environment. You get benefits, 401K, and daytime hours.

Cons

The cons are : Not a lot of local opportunities in the Lehigh Valley except if you want to work in bank branch. It's very hard to increase your knowledge. If you are lucky enough to got to training you don't get a chance to practice anything you have learned, therefore you forget it. Never enough staff so you are always working overtime and Saturdays whether you want to or not. Monthly call nights harassing customers that are never productive and a total waste of time. Products and policies that are years behind other banks so servicing the customer becomes hard to do.

Advice to Management

Get rid of managers that micro manage. Get in some fresh managers that will inspire and teach rather than threaten and criticize everything you do for the sake of criticizing.

7. "Residential Mortgage Division"

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time

Pros

Nice, helpful people. Flexible scheduling based on individual needs.

Cons

Low salary for heavy work load. Poor management. Top heavy (in management).

Advice to Management

Your employees work hard and deserve better from management. They are an integral part of what makes the Residential Mortgage Division profitable and successful. Give them the resources they need to do their job. Hire more permanent support staff. The Residential Mortgage Division is one of the top most profitable divisions in the bank. Recognize their efforts by at least paying a salary comparable to other local salaries for the same position. Stop using being headquartered in York, PA as an excuse to pay less. Have employees review their managers anonymously on a yearly basis to weed out poor management.

8. "All they care about is sales, sales, sales..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in York, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in York, PA

I worked at Susquehanna Bancshares full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I would say they don't have any

Cons

well you have the experience and you have been around awhile and they get rid of you

9. "Good Coworkers, Poor Senior Management"

Pros

The benefits and salary are decent. Most of your coworkers are very knowledgeable and willing to help you if needed.

Cons

The company does not follow through all the time on promoting within. If you get hired at a certain pay grade level, you better be prepared to fight for the next pay grade level throughout your tenure. Their is no incentive at the company for continuing education or training. Senior management does not give clear directions and there are a lot of gray areas. Many times, it feels as though you as the hourly or salaried worker know more then those you report to. Company politics is rampant at Susquehanna.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with policies, promote within, reward training/continuing education by employees and financial success with employees and shareholders. Stop company politics!