Susquehanna University Reviews in Selinsgrove, PA | Glassdoor

4.2
Susquehanna University President L. Jay Lemons
L. Jay Lemons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Event Management Employee"

Former Employee - Event Management Employee in Selinsgrove, PA
    Former Employee - Event Management Employee in Selinsgrove, PA

I worked at Susquehanna University (More than a year)

Pros

Management is great, people who work with you are helpful.

Cons

Not many scheduled hours to be shared among everyone, but you can take on weekend shifts.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Good place to grow"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Selinsgrove, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Selinsgrove, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna University (More than 3 years)

Pros

The students are diverse and wonderful, great to work with, and many colleagues and peers and very talented and hardworking.

Cons

Middle managers are not strong, not sure why but seems to be consistent across the board in administrative department heads.

Advice to Management

Merit raises keep talent from leaving

3. "Part-time Campus Center Secretary"

Former Employee - Part-time Campus Center Secretary in Selinsgrove, PA
    Former Employee - Part-time Campus Center Secretary in Selinsgrove, PA

I worked at Susquehanna University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked mornings, which suited my schedule. I worked with a variety of students, which was very interesting. I worked with several full-time employees, and I learned a lot during my time there.

Cons

It was only part-time so there were no benefits. One of the jobs that I had was getting the caps and gowns ready for graduation, which involved going into a basement storage area, which was a bit creepy.

Advice to Management

I don't know if this position even exists anymore or not. I think it was a fun job for me at the time, and I really have no advice. Things were well done and orderly, and everyone I worked with was great.

4. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Economics Tutor in Selinsgrove, PA
    Current Employee - Economics Tutor in Selinsgrove, PA

Pros

Easy to work for Professors

Cons

Minimum wages and no increase of pay for experience.

Advice to Management

None

5. "Great benefit"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Selinsgrove, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Selinsgrove, PA

I worked at Susquehanna University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

By working there your children can take advantage of tuition exchange at hundreds of colleges and universities around the country.

Cons

most support roles don't pay well.

6. "Landscape"

Former Employee - Landscape Maintenance in Selinsgrove, PA
    Former Employee - Landscape Maintenance in Selinsgrove, PA

I worked at Susquehanna University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Susquehanna University is a fun place to work. It is a place where there is a lot happening. I enjoyed meeting people from all over. The work was varied.

Cons

Although they offered great benefits, the pay was lacking. Unless you are faculty, don't expect to get paid much. Staff is considered an expense and your pay will reflect that.

Advice to Management

Cut out the dead weight, there are a lot of useless people on the clock, and take better care of the ones who get it done.

7. "Residential Assistant"

Former Contractor - Residential Assistant in Selinsgrove, PA
    Former Contractor - Residential Assistant in Selinsgrove, PA

I worked at Susquehanna University as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with great peers, and you can makes some good friends
    Salary was comparable to other small liberal arts schools, and the 18th Street Apartments are nice to live in

Cons

- Politics and favoritism are clearly apparent with both the professional and student staff. -
    - While the expectations of the RA position are clearly outlined in the handbook, there is no handbook for the student supervisors.
    - Little to no support from the immediate professional staff supervisors, however the current interim director does show promise.

Advice to Management

An HR handbook so we RAs can hold our supervisors accountable would be great. Additionally having better middle management for the professional staff (that actually deal with issues fairly and clearly outline expectations) would be great.

"Watch out for hidden agendas"

Former Employee - Student Affairs Professional in Selinsgrove, PA
    Former Employee - Student Affairs Professional in Selinsgrove, PA

I worked at Susquehanna University full-time

Pros

Small atmosphere where you can know all of your colleagues. The community is safe and overall very friendly. I was lucky to have a very good salary and a very flexible work schedule. I found that most departments were willing to collaborate and help each other out.

Cons

I found that some of the administration had their own agendas and would treat others fairly who expressed opposing viewpoints. There seemed to be a "Mean Girls" effect going on where there were some people in Student Life who were part of the "in group," who took care of each other. Meanwhile there was an "out group" that did not get the same access to resources and were eventually pushed out of the university. Employee morale is now low due to the cutting of benefits and pay freezes.
    There wasn't much room to advance in your career because the institution was so small and positions were rarely vacant.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to trends in people leaving the university. Multiple people leaving with the same complaints tells you that there is an administrative problem. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck so get rid of it.

9. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Coach in Selinsgrove, PA
    Current Employee - Coach in Selinsgrove, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

--President Lemons is a top-notch leader who believes in his employees' qualifications, gives us the leeway to expand our programs, but is still happy to become involved.
    --The insurance benefits are great, with people making the least paying in the least and people making the most paying in the most.
    --People tend to stay with the university for a long time, so your community is very tight-knit and people try hard to take care of one another.
    --Many employees of different positions qualify to take free classes, and certain workers' children qualify for tuition exchange after working with the university for a certain period of time.

Cons

There are very few cons that I can think of... but if I must, then...
    --I think that there is still an old boys club in the athletics department.
    --The university is in a very rural area, so people who crave a lot of culture may not like the location much.

Advice to Management

Keep President Lemons on board for as long as possible!

"Okay for a short stay to augment a resume, but no future available here if you're a professional administrator."

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Selinsgrove, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Selinsgrove, PA

I have been working at Susquehanna University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are very friendly if you're white and lead a fairly conventional life. Students are down to earth and mostly middle- or working-class so they sincerely appreciate the guidance and experience you provide. Benefits are great and the university's GO program may even afford you the opportunity to open the world to a great of students in a very impactful way through travel. You can gain a broad range of experiences in different fields. And when you find an administrator who knows what they're doing, there is ample opportunity for mentorship.

Cons

Protect yourself - SU has no qualms about taking advantage of their employees in terms of asking you to sacrifice your personal life or work for pay lower than industry standards. And Human Resources is the most user-unfriendly office on campus so there is no one go go to for help. Administrators who know what they are doing usually leave quickly because they can - incompetent directors stay for decades and clog the system, serving as road blocks to any real progress. Working here is a bit like spinning your wheels.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore the incompetent middle managers working under Senior Staff. Great work is possible, but its being stalled by some bad eggs who don't seem to know what they should be doing.