Sutherland Reviews | Glassdoor

1,601 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,601 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance, leave policy (in 29 reviews)

• Odd shift timings very poor life work balance very low pay hell of pressure lack of proper sleep due to odd shift (in 43 reviews)

"Sutherland Global is nasty"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sutherland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is easy and some people are nice

Cons

Unprofessional, unsanitary management contradicts themselves regularly, bedbugs,the company is so transient they don't match 401k

Advice to Management

Know what your job is and perform the duties properly.

2. "Claims rep"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Sutherland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management, eager to teach you. Good training. Also flexible schedule. Good coworkers and excellent environment. Nice office and specious lunchroom. Positive environment.

Cons

Better benefits - too expensive. Room from improvement but no compensation. Work load can be stressful at times. Lack of communication from management. Slow computer system, they need to improve their computer system for employees to be more efficient.

3. "Most Managers does not know product knowledge."

Current Employee - Insurance Agent and Mortgage Department in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent and Mortgage Department in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sutherland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good insurance benefits all but 401k do not match what u put in.

Cons

Mortgage dept has lots of leaders but if u have a question they know nothing. And report when coworkers actually have conversations regarding the job itself but u truly have to lead by example.

Advice to Management

Learn the knowledge before you speak.

5. "Sutherland Global Services"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time job in a competitive job market, ability to advance to management, job is laid back, lenient, work with you to help you excel

Cons

Can't really change your shift, same routine everyday, not much of a change or excitement, don't take unless you enjoy am office job and staring at a comiter for 8 hours

Advice to Management

Not really much to say, the management team in my department were really chill except they did clique with certain workers underneath them and the people they clique with went back and forth to management about people

6. "Global journey management center consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsford, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsford, NY

Pros

Rules and regulations the most wonderful in hr

Cons

Personal relationship between management and senior level

"Poorly run"

Former Employee - Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Sutherland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not too many things that are pros

Cons

Horrible training , you will be sent to the wolves and don't think your supervisor will help at all . Agents struggle while management is always in a meeting or laughing on their cell phones . You will get the rules of the job changed almost daily .

Advice to Management

Look and see what really goes on . It's a joke and costing you money .

"Deceiving"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sutherland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home; it's convenient and I really wanted my time here to work out because of this but they proved to me that just because you work remotely doesn't mean that the people you work with don't affect you as much bc boy do they affect you.

Cons

I honestly thought that nothing could be worse than my last job, especially in terms of respect, but Sutherland is proving me wrong. Nobody is there to help you. When you do something wrong, it falls on you, even though you may have previously asked other higher ups what the correct way of doing something was. They give you negative feedback yet don't tell you how to improve and nobody answers their email or direct messages. They don't care about you succeeding in the company, for whatever reason.
    In the support chat while you're speaking with clients, your questions are usually ignored. It's frustrating bc unless you've been there for years, you don't know the answers to everything so you look to them for help. When they don't answer, the customer gets mad at you for not knowing. But they don't have to deal with the customers so why should they care?
    Sometimes when a customer requests something like a supervisor or explanation from a higher up, they refuse to take the call. I understand that, BUT then you should 1) help us through the call bc most of the time, the customer is cursing at us by now (don't just say use soft skills. Oh really Sherlock? Thanks!) 2) refuse those types of calls from all agents. It's crazy how favoritism exists even in this workplace. They lack compassion for all except a handful of select agents who they're constantly chatting with in the support room even tho it's supposed to just be for help; otherwise it causes congestion and our questions don't get answered in a timely manner (or ever). When my question does attract someone's attention, their #1 answer is automatically 'look it up, use your tools.'...well in my initial post I just said I couldn't find the answer or maybe needed clarification or certain tools have also been down lately, can you just answer my question? Then they'll say oh I know it's in there, look again. I have to jump through hoops to get them to finally answer my question. And most of my questions that do get answered (about 30%) seem obvious to them so then I get talked down to. What is that?
    They're supposed to provide tech support to us as well, but whenever you let them know something isn't working, their answer is just 'oh just continue without it' or 'yes it's a known issue, they're working on it.' But some are essential to the job so then when we ask questions bc we needed that tool to find it, why do we get blamed?
    I got to the point where some of my tech issues I found could be solved just by restarting everything, which can take 3-5 mins, and they get mad when you tell them you're gonna restart! It's like, well the tool has been down for 3 weeks now so it's never getting fixed and I can't do my job properly without since you won't help so let me just restart since it works better after.
    I couldn't punch in one day and after support did not answer my question about how do I fix it, I emailed my manager with my start/end times, a week before the paycheck would come out. He never answered but I assumed it was taken care of since he had been sending other emails about work so he definitely saw it. That paycheck was missing that day. I send another email to him and the whole management team, no answer still. Next paycheck, still missing that day. 2 more emails to my manager and the team, no answer. I even asked in support and all they said was to contact my manager and the team; I said I never got an answer and then was ignored in the chat after. Next paycheck comes and still nothing, so I email my manager again and I tell him I need a reply or something bc I'm getting tired of this. He says sorry just saw this...obviously he's lying since he had been sending many emails. Some were about my work performance and it's funny bc he tells me what I'm doing wrong and some quick tips and says to email him or message him with questions, but I never ever got a response.
    Anyway, I still haven't been paid. Last week, I also couldn't punch in bc the site was down again. I told support and mentioned my situation that's still ongoing bc I didn't punch in. They say try again, I tell them it's not working then I get ignored. I posted twice more and no answer, but she answered everyone before me and after me. I Skype someone directly who's on support/tech issues. I tell them my situation and she says to just email my manager with my schedule. I explain to her my situation AGAIN and she says the only person who can fix it is the tech hotline but that I can't call them right now bc they need me on the phones. WHAT?! First off, she showed no compassion towards my situation. Second, I just said I don't wanna work a day again and not get paid, so you basically just shrugged it off and are telling me 'we don't care about your needs or that you need the money to pay your bills, just go do work for us.' Heck no! Especially not when the tech hotline would have taken just 20 mins maybe to fix the problem. I left furious that day. I am sick and tired of the blatant disrespect and disregard they have for me. They think they're better than the agents bc they're support or managers or supervisors; they're scum. They leave us to deal with any problem we have alone. What a terrible work environment this is.
    Not to mention, the client we are currently outsourcing customer service to (telecom, starts with o, ends with m) is an absolutely horrible company too! Their supervisors also leave us hanging, but it's mostly Sutherland's.
    That was long but just had to tell about my experience here so everyone can think twice before working for these people.

Advice to Management

R-E-S-P-E-C-T your employees. Answer their questions, don't belittle them. Help them grow. When you write them up, explain why and truly answer all their questions. Answer your emails. Don't ignore people. Pay your employees for what they worked.
    You can't tell us to give good customer service when you can't even show it to us. Also, better training is needed bc we are never told how to deal with certain situations. They limit you so much (basically all you can ever tell the customer is you can't do what they want, tough luck) yet they don't give you tips on how to improve.
    Last thing, random customers get surveys and they fill it out. You get judged by the score they give you but get this, NOT based on what they thought of you, but if they would recommend your company to friends. So they can absolutely love you and your work/performance but bc of the dumb company rules and policies, you get a bad score and an excuse to get written up/no bonus! It's a trap, and anything below a 9/10, so anywhere between 1-8, on that recommendation question is automatically negative.
    Get real guys and become a respectable company! Be more selective with who you promote bc I can't name one that cares about the success of the agents.

9. "Low mix level sales opportunity as well as customer service"

Former Employee - USPS Sales Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - USPS Sales Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training rewards and recognition programs. Really do invest in their employees and teach sales people.

Cons

Pool comission systems limits top level sales ppl's income potential. That being said if you can dominate the numbers income potential in good.

Advice to Management

Keep training and sales support the same. Increase invested and sales force decrease investment in mid level managrment

"Typical Boiler Room Sales Call Center"

Former Employee - P&C Insurance Sales - Call Center in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - P&C Insurance Sales - Call Center in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Sutherland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good entry level job. A good place to become a customer service representative or licensed insurance agent. Company paid initial training and, in some cases all licensing and fees.

Cons

Very high employee turn-over. Most leave as fast as they can on own accord. Job instability - I was laid off once (contracted client cancelled contract) and on second hiring was fired when I could not maintain sales. Poor training. All supervisors seem to have strange personality quirks that range from personal & professional insecurity to just flat-out mean. Extreme favoritism with respect to opportunities in peering, promotions and commissions. Micro management. Management dishonesty with contracted clients and employees. Mediocre and expensive benefits. Tight rules about breaks, KPI and back to back calls. No free coffee.

Advice to Management

Get Real.

"Subject Matter Expert"

Current Employee - Fill In Team Lead/Subject Matter Expert in Missouri City, TX
    Current Employee - Fill In Team Lead/Subject Matter Expert in Missouri City, TX

I have been working at Sutherland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Off on Weekends
    Mostly all holidays off
    Relationships with co-workers

Cons

Poor Management
    Under appreciated
    Under paid
    Not much room for growth

Advice to Management

Do better

Showing 1,601 of 1,629 reviews