Sutherland Reviews in Syracuse, NY | Glassdoor

Sutherland Chairman and CEO Dilip R. Vellodi
Dilip R. Vellodi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • People talk about work life balance being a con, but if you take ownership of your own time its great as long as you deliver the results (in 33 reviews)

• Odd shift timings very poor life work balance very low pay hell of pressure lack of proper sleep due to odd shift (in 51 reviews)

1. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get a job. Easy drug test.

Cons

Bad location. Hire ex cons. Low pay

Advice to Management

Hire better people

2. "Great team spirit among the groups. Terrible support, pay and management from above."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team spirit among coworkers. Almost an extended family. Over a year after my departure some of my best friends are people I met at sufferland.

Cons

Support from the top is beyond awful. This company has huge centers in third world countries. I think they lose sight of the fact that Americans aren't willing to be treated as badly as people in developing countries. Employee turn over is stunningly high. Average tenure is 6 months. Company is constantly recruiting and training new hires because they can't keep any one. Wages are low and middle management is powerless.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people answering your phones. Talk to the humans who are making you rich before you make decisions that negatively affect them. I remember when you decided you would no longer be supplying coffee in our offices. I was a supervisor at the time. All of a sudden I have people sneaking out left and right to go to starbucks while on the clock. You may have saved 150k in coffee expenses but I watched you loose 3 times that in loss of performance.

3. "High turnover"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Higher quickly and will higher anyone

Cons

Too many to count here

Advice to Management

Look into sexual harassment cases filed..

4. "Good management, nice people"

Former Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is good, nice environment, fresh coffee

Cons

No future, not good pay rate, customer based work

5. "Good"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Sutherland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience gained so i can find an equal or better job in the future. I would like to get a better experience!

Cons

Pay rate, management, stress levels, not flexible hours, favoritism, between other things at the work place, but it is too much strees

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Sutherland part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great resume builder for entry level full time work.

Cons

Risk of lay offs are high, possible overnight and weekend shifts

"Customer Service"

I worked at Sutherland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't have anything good to say about this place and I put in my all effort and busted my butt being I was always in the top 10 on the stack rank out of 100 people.

Cons

Decent co-workers although most of them will talk crap about you behind your back just to make themselves look good to management.
    No one has the moxie to tell you something to your face.
    Management is a bunch of incompetent people and claim they're there for you but only are there to make sure you do well so they earn money but don't really care about you at all. Management will toy around with you thinking you're getting promoted just to see your numbers increase and make Sutherland more sufficient but won't promote you.
    The pay is absolutely terrible for the amount of crap the employees deal with.

Advice to Management

Start acting like adults and stop being incompetent and if you have something to say, say it to the employee not complain about it to someone else.

8. "Sutherland Global Services"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time job in a competitive job market, ability to advance to management, job is laid back, lenient, work with you to help you excel

Cons

Can't really change your shift, same routine everyday, not much of a change or excitement, don't take unless you enjoy am office job and staring at a comiter for 8 hours

Advice to Management

Not really much to say, the management team in my department were really chill except they did clique with certain workers underneath them and the people they clique with went back and forth to management about people

9. "Low mix level sales opportunity as well as customer service"

Former Employee - USPS Sales Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - USPS Sales Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Sutherland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training rewards and recognition programs. Really do invest in their employees and teach sales people.

Cons

Pool comission systems limits top level sales ppl's income potential. That being said if you can dominate the numbers income potential in good.

Advice to Management

Keep training and sales support the same. Increase invested and sales force decrease investment in mid level managrment

10. "Its a foot in the door"

Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Syracuse, NY

Pros

Great place to get your foot in the door into the customer service realm if you want customer service as your career. Many different programs to work for including Microsoft, ATT, and American Eagle. Great environment of people , young lively crowd.

Cons

Sutherland hires anybody which doesn't make the company look lime it cares for integrity. I.e. There was a guy they hired at Microsoft who punhed a member of floor support for no reason and then went outside and stabbed a guy in front of the store on Warrant st. Needs better structure and to stop the 'Buddy system'.Seems like the managers best friends get promoted and can do no wrong/lesser degree of punishment and consequences. You never know when your hours will be changed and they do not take your situations in life into consideration .I.e. I'd you have a handicapped nephew, you're his primary caretaker, and need to take care of him at a certain time. Take multiple chats at a time (up to 4) with not so great pay and no overtime

Advice to Management

Take employees' situations in life into more consideration . Pay the employees for the work they do

Showing 43 of 1,918 reviews