Sutherland "work from home" Reviews | Glassdoor

Sutherland Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Nov 26, 2019

3.4
Sutherland CEO Dilip R. Vellodi
Dilip R. Vellodi
1,419 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Night shifts can be bit tough for new comers(in 95 reviews)

• "This is horribly low pay compared to any other call center job(in 66 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"Customer Service / Technical Support Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Sutherland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Good way to work from home.

Cons

The rate of pay is pretty low.

Advice to Management

listen to your workers

Sutherland2017-07-22
  2. "Xbox Customer Support Role"

Former Employee - Xbox Customer Support in Rochester, NY

I worked at Sutherland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working from home, flexible hours, rewarding work.

Cons

Poor advancement opportunities, they tell you they'll promote and advance you but end up using you for supervisor positions without actually promoting you or giving you a raise.

Advice to Management

Provide more advancement opportunities for dedicated workers and top performers.

Sutherland2019-10-19
  3. "A legitimate work from home job.."

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist

I worked at Sutherland full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work from home - Company provides the necessary IT equipment and support - Normal hourly pay - No cold calling - Willing to provide the technical training necessary for you to successfully fulfill your role.

Cons

- Extremely low pay - Odd schedule (even training happens from mid-afternoon into the late evening) - Poor work/life balance (despite WFH)

Advice to Management

I understand that Sutherland contracts with many companies to provide a wide range of services over the phone. Not all contracts are equal. However, you'll never find good talent while offering the federal minimum wage. Put more emphasis on finding people who have good problem solving skills and are willing to learn, instead of focusing on finding cheerleaders for the call centers.

Sutherland2019-08-14

"Pretty good company"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Pittsford, NY

I have been working at Sutherland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work at home available, pays for some licensing, Offers PTO, decent pay, offers benefits, offers 401k

Cons

Can't use PTO when you want to even months in advance if it's in the summer months, no vacation time allowed in summer may- July, no 401k match, expensive health insurance

Advice to Management

Change policies on PTO. A request 2 months in advance for June should not be denied due to supposed call volume. That is ludicrous, we save PTO all year long to take vacation with family then can't use it and we lose a week or more of PTO because it expires and you won't allow us to use it before it expires at the end of June and it won't roll over to the next earning period. That is just b.s. We have to have... to wait 6 months for a week to accumulate to plan a vacation and nobody wants to take a vacation in the winter and nobody can pull their kids out of School during the school year to take a vacation. Can't even get a day off for a doctor or dentist appointment between May and July, then you want to yell about people calling off and wonder why people call off or have to leave out early...we have no choice because you give us no choice!!! getting life saving medications written for us and getting treatment for health issues are more important than the client's call volume. It burns people out when calls are back to back and not enough agents to handle call volume and can't even get a day off when we need it. Funny how the supervisors can take weeks approved off may-july without requesting months in advance and without getting denied but the agents, the people who make your company what it is, who make you and your clients money and who keep your contracts and your company afloat can't even get a day off during this time, even when it is requested 1-2 months or more in advance. The agents are the reason you have a company, make it work for us too. Hire more people if you can't keep up with call volume so your existing employees don't suffer and so you don't yell at the employees about call offs during the summer because we can't get a paid day off or even go to a doctor appointment because you won't let us take time off. Make the PTO accumulation period run from January to December and allow it to roll over if you eont allow us to use it when we want to use it or need to use it. It just let us get paid out for those hours if we can't use it before your expiration date. Pay is good, but it's not worth it if we can't get a certain level of understanding. And for God's sake, QUIT MESSING WITH THE WAY CALLS COME IN TO AGENTS. THAT TIERED SYSTEM IS SUCK JUNK! Let the calls come in to the next available agent, not the agent who had more sales last month. It hurts the majority of us and only keeps a few of us meeting goal. Match 401k to a certain percentage. Get better health insurance that doesn't cost employees 1/3 to 1/2 of their paycheck every check to insure their family with some decent coverage. Company is big enough, gaining new and renewal contracts fast enough and expanding fast enough that you can afford to invest in your employees health more and pay a bigger percentage from the company on healthcare.

Sutherland2019-07-10
  5. "Churn em and burn em mentality"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Sutherland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was in work from home so this was a pro

Cons

None stop calls incoming, breaks timed to the second and you better not need the rest room outside of breaktime, or want to use pto because for three years it always refused, if you want lots of mandatory overtime ( 12 hour shifts ) then it would work but for me it demanded a lot for little pay.

Advice to Management

Stop scheduling long shifts without asking and allow employees bathroom breaks, in other words treat people with respect.

Sutherland2019-06-11

"No Thanks"

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative

I worked at Sutherland full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work At Home. Nothing else.

Cons

I started in the COX work at home program with sutherland. Hiring process was fairly easy except for some reason, sutherland requires a drug test unlike any other work from home job. So be prepared to pass that. Training was a joke, lasted about a month and was 4 hours classroom, 4 hours self paced per day. After training nobody still had any idea what we were doing. Started at $8.50 per hour in training and based... on attendance you MIGHT get up to 10.50 once in production, otherwise just $10.00 per hour. This is horribly low pay compared to any other call center job. To get anything above $10.00 you must rank in top 10% of all CSAs and have lots of sales. Trainers were great, everyone was super nice. Customers were absolutely ridiculous. I have been in customer service for years and these people are a different breed. As soon as they get on the line they start screaming. If you wanna get screamed at for minimum wage, this is the job for you. COX uses a system old as dirt called ICOMS to do everything with. This is a program that was considered outdated 18 years ago so the process is similar to medical coding/billing. You have to remember a bunch of codes to enter to "build" services. All services and/or equipment have their own codes. So you have to look these up for whatever you are trying to do on the account and add them to the system. Also, the benefits you do get, don't start until roughly 2-3 months after you start working. With Sutherland/cox you have multiple logins that you have to keep track of, it is very disorganized. They do send a computer mini tower called a thin client but this is only used to access a virtual computer desktop you will actually be working with. So the experience is extremely laggy because you are essentially using a desktop on a server somewhere, not actually on the computer. The system is so locked down that you literally cant open a text file or use notepad on windows. The entire experience was horrible and just blah. You are also expected to attempt to sell at least 2 items per call. Keep in mind you are tech support, so when the customer calls they are already having problems with their services. Wy would they want to buy more that don't work? Also, you are not allowed to use the hold button at any time for ANY reason. This makes it super difficult to get your job done when you have someone screaming at you, and you are trying to research how to fix their issue with the messed up knowledgeable they use. Im so glad I found something else paying 4$ more per hour. This is a workhorse position, you may as well be in a sweatshop. The CEO and founder of Sutherland is from and started the company in India and this reflects in the way the company is run. Super low wages, ridiculous expectations. The trainer i had said only 13 out of 30 people from the previous class actually stayed to work past the first day of phone calls. That should tell you something. It isn't the people you hired, its your program.

Advice to Management

Overhaul your training. Simplify your design and tools. Way too many tools for simple issues. Give employees a living wage. This position is worth at least 14$ per hour with the amount of information and skill you have to have. This is a workhorse position.

Sutherland2019-05-10

"Above Average!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hickory, NC

I worked at Sutherland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most positions are Remote (Work from Home) Company does a good job taking the time to train new hires Full-time positions include decent medical coverage Hours are generally easily obtainable Team-based environment - Management is very active

Cons

Opportunity for advancement is not as advertised as no "new" advancement can be made until the previous occupant leaves the position. Pay is "ehh" and about what you'd expect from a call center farm Promotional goal "bonuses" were often paid in Amazon Gift Cards

Advice to Management

Strive to be more transparent. As a former member of the Xbox program, our team could read between the lines that the program was ending. Team managers were leaving and not being replaced for upwards of a year, overall hiring was slowed and stopped 8 months prior and program trainers were moved to other programs. Yet through all this, and when asked directly in meetings, the answer was always "we're doing great,... no worries". We were given 30 days notice that our program was being cancelled and moved to a program that some of us did not qualify for and could not accept. Being more transparent could have given those families more time or allowed for a smoother more long term transition to other programs.

Sutherland2019-03-19
  8. "It was a paycheck"

I worked at Sutherland

Pros

Work from home, easy work, high call volume most of the time so it wasn’t boring.

Cons

None that I can think of

Sutherland2019-03-21
  9. "OK place to work"

Current Employee - SME in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Sutherland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working from home, great people

Cons

None that I can think of

Sutherland2019-01-25

"Great between jobs job, not very good long term if you are looking to grow"

Former Employee - Work At Home Telephone Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sutherland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to work from home Training Pay is decent

Cons

Micromanagment Managers do not always seem to know what it going on You can be moved from one project to another because the company lost contract and they will make you feel like you are being punished

Sutherland2018-11-18