Sutter Health Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sutter Health President and CEO Sarah Krevans
Sarah Krevans

Pros
  • great benefits and great team work (in 52 reviews)

• Sutter offers very good benefits for their employees too (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really doesn't take employees opinions on what works or not serious enough (in 25 reviews)

• Need to improve work life balance (in 9 reviews)

1. "RN Nurse Triage"

Current Employee - RN Triage in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - RN Triage in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work at home

Cons

Can't recommend this position to others.

2. "Apply, Interview... and wait... and WAIT...for months!"

Former Employee - Applied for Senior Communications Role in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Applied for Senior Communications Role in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good people who work together and care

Cons

Over the course of 4-5 months went through three interviews for a senior role in communications ... then had to wait for over 3 more months to find out anything. The human resources is sorely lacking in efficiency and they don't seem to have a measured or effective method for recruiting diverse talent.

Advice to Management

Find a way to bring more people to interview panels that are not already in silos and/or necessarily working within the department where the applicant will work. Sutter needs perspective to see the forest for the trees. I am back at Kaiser Permanente and very happy. They know how to recruit diverse talent.

"There's a reason everyone is new or looking for another job."

Current Employee - Nurse in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Nurse in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, pay isn't.

Cons

Where do I start? Unorganized, poor management, dangerous patient care practices, the list goes on and on...pretty much everyone there is new or looking for another job!

Advice to Management

Hire people with management experience or train them, respect your staff.

"Poor management"

Former Employee - PSR2 in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - PSR2 in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Sutter Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay are great

Cons

Poor management. Communication is off. No care for employees needs

"Admin"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

When Sutter Health buys your organizaton everything gets uprooted.

Cons

10 years of my life wasted. Thanks Sutter Health.

Advice to Management

Keep everything status quo....

6. "Sutter Dublin, CA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I worked at Sutter Health part-time

Pros

Having a job and location.

Cons

Toxic work culture. Staff members seem to truly hate or wish bad on others, a lot of gossip and bad talk. Bad morale. No team support. If your truly desperate work here, but if your not there are other options. Only a few good ones there, becareful.

Advice to Management

Improve your management staff. You need good leaders who are about helping and empower your teams.

"Wouldn't bother"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very generous health plan. For IT workers, being paid by the hour means more money in your pocket for working 60 hours. Also, when you get asked for overtime, asked mind you, it's because it's important, not that someone just feels like having you work all night. You get extra pay for working swing or graveyard shift. Also, you're dealing with people's lives, so getting woken up at zero dark thirty is more meaningful than coming in at zero dark thirty because someone can't get to the website to order socks. They don't seem so sensitive to age, so you be above 30 and not draw skeptical looks.

Cons

Incredibly bureaucratic. If you're not in Sacramento, expect to be treated as a flunky. You'll be thrown at radical new technology with little hand over or training to support it. Expect to be kind of blown off when the "standard" doesn't work. You'll do all the legwork to make it right and be given none of the credit. Expect very small raises from year to year. Good luck getting a change in grade level or moving to another group. Expect major process changes and to be yelled at for not following new rules which were never communicated to you. Expect your leadership to turn everything back on you, you must get it done, despite being blocked by other bureaucracies, but you have to do a trivia hunt to find the magic person who might be able to get the form to get what you need done. Expect mandatory employee engagement, and expect that you feedback will be ignored. There is no leadership. It is management by crisis. Expect pay to be somewhat low, not bottom of the barrel, but low.

Advice to Management

In all the time I've been there, we've never addressed any concerns in the yearly experience of work. NEVER. No one seems to care about the experience in the field. All I ever hear about is what's happening in Sacramento. The field is doing good and innovative work, yet. we're constantly turfed, given unwritten "standards" to follow, we can't get a straight answer on how to get things done from the folks in HQ, heck we deploy tools like PWA which end up being useless because by the time PMO releases the project back to the local PM so I can get added to the project to track time, the project, for me, is over.

8. "Claims administrator"

Current Employee - Claims Administrator in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Administrator in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time

Pros

Employees are passionate about position and title held.

Cons

Constant policy and procedural changing, middle /upper management power struggle, major micromanaging and swift decline in moral occurring company wide.

Advice to Management

Give back power to the employees and let them shine.

"$hamelessly addicted to patient ca$h"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have great coworkers who are incredibly invested in our patients' care. $utter is lucky to have us. We're not lucky to have jobs- no, absolutely not: they are lucky to have such dedication among their staff, 24/7.

Cons

$utter Health is shamelessly focused on money, to the point that they'll deny a patient's spouse who has served on a board for CPMC in SF for 20 years a cafeteria meal as she stays with her spouse day in and day out. They love taking VA patients now that they can use their benefits anywhere, though they offer none of the care some of our vets need, including medical psych units where their traumatic past and medical present can be properly addressed and managed. They are frequently very punitive to RNs and allied staff for any perceived shortcoming as we run around trying to give great care. Understaffing of hospital floors is a key component of their money-centered agenda. The ones who suffer are the patients, and the ones who bear the brunt are the very people they refuse and fail to support. They frequently require staff to come in for classes and online "trainings" for several hours apiece on our days off, yet offer no Clinical Nurse Educators or anyone centered on challenging Nursing to gain skills and be the best nurses we can be for our patients. Nursing management at CPMC in SF has no interest in developing their professional RNs, rather they use us as task masters. Resident MDs frequently view us as task masters and are seemingly aloof to the role and clinical aptitude of the RN, and management does nothing to promote the profession of Nursing.

Advice to Management

We voted to be represented by California Nurses Association for a reason- for professional respect, cultivation of our skills and practice and for the safety of our patients amidst a blind lust for money by $utter. Start listening to your nurses- unless you'd like to continue being the training ground for other hospitals when you alienate us to the point of complete disgust. We're here for our patients, not $utter's CEO who makes a cool $6.7 million a year in a "not for profit" organization.

"From CNA to Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Sutter Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Because Sutter is such a large corporation, a lot of great people work there, and many days I enjoyed going to work.

Cons

Everything else. Management expected too much from each person, and never gave anyone the support they needed, whether they were doctors or nurses or CNAs. They always claimed they didn't have enough money to give us things we needed, and patients suffered as a result, the provision of care suffered as a result.

Advice to Management

Don't skimp on resources needed to care for the people who the organization was built to serve. It doesn't look good, and practically, it becomes impossible.