Sutter Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Sutter Health Reviews

Updated August 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great benefits and great team work (in 55 reviews)

• Sutter offers very good benefits for their employees too (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really doesn't take employees opinions on what works or not serious enough (in 26 reviews)

• Need to improve work life balance (in 10 reviews)

"Mass Exodus"

Current Employee - Surgical Tech in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Surgical Tech in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are amazing. The evening shift is a tight group of highly experienced and efficient people. We have decent health benefits but you must stay in network.

Cons

Low pay. Retirement only matches $300 a year and pension is minuscule. During a mass exodus management adds more managers when staff all leave. Low morale. No 10 or 12 hour shifts. They provide scrubs but many staff break out from them and no alternative is provided. Day shift staff are mostly travelers and brand new nurses or techs in training. New nurses leave as soon as they are trained. No preceptor pay for nurses or techs. 11-7 shift is the worst, you do all the harder cases. Staff not equally accountable, some don't like ortho or vascular so they don't have to do their share. Others work harder to make up for it. No accountability. Also, we do not recycle AND our manager made us get rid of the mission box and throw out any wasted supplies. Most of us are applying elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Increase pay rates so people can afford to live here. Need better retirement benefits, match dollar for dollar or at least 10%. Employee benefits can include more and varied discounts from local theaters, stores, etc. Show staff you appreciate them- on nurses week spring for more than a Costco bag of popcorn and ten pieces of fruit for almost 40 nurses to share and none for allied health. Increase pay so we can get experienced staff- our unit is half travelers and 1/4 brand new periop staff. Stop hiring more management when we really need more staff. Offer 10 and 12 hour shifts for RNs. Stop offering travelers more than you offer core staff. Start working with per diems who want to stay and offer them 4 hour shifts in the OR. Start working with and appreciating your staff. Offer the 4/5s again for nurses and techs.

"Great department; administration is disconnected"

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time

Pros

Supportive environment, great coworkers, managers available and approachable. Self-scheduling allows for a great work-life balance.

Cons

Administration allocates funds in a bubble. Constantly understaffed in all areas. Facility is not competitive in pay or benefits. Constantly change products from quality to inferior to save money without staff input.

Advice to Management

Promote staff advocacy by department managers. Don't downsize and fund unnecessary projects simultaneously. Administration shouldn't accept hefty bonuses when downsizing staff and making remaining staff work harder with less. Don't ask for my opinion at town hall meetings and roll your eyes when I give honest feedback.

3. "Sutter"

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time

Pros

Good, dedicated people. Does have perks.

Cons

Pay could be better. Need to rid under performers

4. "Best Company"

I worked at Sutter Health full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits for employee and immediate family members. Amazing staff. Great culture.

Cons

None that I can think of

5. "Senior Programmer Analyst"

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Competitive Pay

Cons

Disorganized, No Long Term IT Vision, Behind the times in Technology, Poor Communication from top to bottom

6. "Director"

I worked at Sutter Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

scope, challenging assignments, workforce community, benefits,

Cons

barriers to innovation, matrix management

"Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and great benefits

Cons

Hard to advance and hold position.

"A Large Health Care Organization"

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities for work at Sutter Health, outside of the hospital setting. The benefit packages are up to standard, as today's benefit offerings go for healthcare employment. Since Sutter Health is one of the larger Northern California health care systems, there are opportunities within commuting distance. The providers and hospitals strive to provide high quality patient care and Information Services (IS) goals are to support the information and data needs of the providers and patients.

Cons

Information services has experienced a few restructuring or reorganizations of the workforce within the past 10 years. As it strives to improve, it appears that they continue to struggle with their attempts to reduce the layers in leadership, yet they continue to add more leaders to the mix. The hiring process time within the IS area can be extremely lengthy, which may not help potential candidates who are looking for a more quick interview and hire process. The change management process for changes to electronic programs is very cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Restructuring does not seem to be the answer to what is failing in the IS arena. As the EHR optimization requirements increase, you will need to increase the number of qualified and skilled analysts. To do this, the screening, interview, and hiring process needs to be improved, so that the qualified candidates remain available to take on the available positions they interviewed for.

9. "Rn"

Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Sutter Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's close to where I live

Cons

Not enough pay
    Not enough staff

Advice to Management

Change to 12 hr shifts. More pay

10. "Patient coordinator"

I worked at Sutter Health part-time

Pros

Great place to work, many locations and good pay

Cons

Hours are long, management not always know what they're doing