Sutter Physician Services Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Sutter Physician Services CEO Jeremy Eaves
Jeremy Eaves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits including college reimbursement, PTO on day 1, health etc etc (in 17 reviews)

• It really is a great place to work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • A bit of upper management disconnect (in 5 reviews)

• All hours need to be made up or covered by accrued PTO hours (PTO hours take a long time to get after-hours as well) (in 3 reviews)

1. "Employee oriented organization"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Organization has Talented staff. Historically the company has been very employee oriented. My Division gies me a sense of pride in what we accomplish.

Cons

Currently there is an unknown future with the parent company, Sutter Health. New leadership doesn’t have the history of our company to know how well we have done on our own.

2. "Good Company; Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Quality in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Quality in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits- medical, dental, vision, life, 403b, very small amount of tuition reimbursement, wellness bonus, holiday bonus, other employee bonuses if you're a phone agent, PTO rate is good.

Cons

ZERO respect for military and prior service.
    People with FMLA/ADA are harassed, treated differently, neglected and so on. A few people on multiple occasions had their needs ignored to the point that they ended up in emergency rooms or needing to have the ambulance show up due to negligence from superiors and human resources.

Worse than other business politics: promotions usually based on who you know rather than merit and experience.

Total disregard for diversity, cultural differences, age, and race.

Employee satisfaction survey results are not taken seriously, & when they ask the teams how to improve they take the bare minimum & ignore the more important issues.

Concerns brought to management, upper management, and human resources are ignored and then you are treated differently for having said anything at all. Many employees, including the ones with fmla/ada needs, fear taking action for mistreatment because of the retaliation, being pushed out, and threatened.

They ask for ideas on how to improve processes & other things but either ignore your ideas or steal them & behave as though you have not contributed anything.

If you don't participate in giving your whole life story, or participate in every single activity (dressing up, games; even if you participate in the ones you do like) you get accused of not being a team player or a part of the "work family" & your annual review/raise suffers for it.

Unrealistic expectations and metrics. Even the best employees such as myself and others could not meet some, and when you bring it to their attention they scoff at you, brush it off, reprimand you or try to, take no accountability or suggestions. You go from being the top employee to the one they push out.
    High turn over rate in operations and support. On my team alone in support, 4 of us have quit within the same year, 2 within a few months apart, 2 within the same week; & these positions formerly had a low turn over rate.

They tell you your job role & how to do it, but when you do it the way they said to, you're still wrong. A lot of contradictions, double standards, hypocrisy, and no self-accountability especially in management and upper management.

There is a protocol to follow when something is needed, and instead of following it- people wait last minute and demand they get what they need. They will wait the hour before It is needed to ask for something that takes hours, or even days to complete because they procrastinate. When you don't jump when they ask, because it is impossible and or because they didn't follow protocol when others did, they blame you and try to throw you under the bus instead of owning up to their mistake.

I have a huge stack of evidence that I had to submit to the department of labor. I never had to do this at any other job in my life. It is despicable. As soon as two of us top employees started getting pushed out, we found other jobs where we both get treated like royalty. I found another job where I am respected and treated as an adult, they are amazing and already within the 2nd day I was offered a promotion.

Advice to Management

Face the music. You know what is wrong and you can't hide that you know. Take action before it becomes worse than it already is. You have lost many of the best employees and then wonder why things don't work out so well at work.

3. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, possible flexible schedules.

Cons

If the queue is busy, leadership will be monsters

Advice to Management

Work on keeping employees happy, and then the calls will get answered.

Sep 22, 2017 – Transformation and Business Readiness Leader

Thank you for your feedback. Your comment about leadership when our call queues get busy is concerning. While we take great measures to ensure that our patients are well cared for, we strive to... More

4. "Patient Service Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Good co-workers, Food, Perks, Gym downstairs

Cons

Leadership does not recognize good employee's, Bad Employee's and their bad habits get ignored

Advice to Management

Treat good employee's better than they are treated

Sep 22, 2017 – Transformation and Business Readiness Leader

Thank you for your review. At the Patient Service Center in UT, we continually look for and implement meaningful ways to recognize and reward our best employees. In recent years, we put into effect... More

"Account Representative II"

Current Employee - Account Representative II in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Account Representative II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SPS provides superb benefits, flexible use of PTO and make-up time, and overall good community. Improvements in processes and communications have encouraged more cooperation between departments.

Cons

The structure of the assignments sometimes causes friction between teammates. Sometimes targets change rapidly and teams are shifted, which give a sense of frustration or instability.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the promotions seem to based on favoritism. Perhaps recommend reps to look at certain positions based on their achievements,

May 24, 2017 – Employee Experience Ambassador

Thank you for your candid feedback! We're glad that our benefits, PTO, and community involvement are making an impact on your experience here. Your comment about promotions being based on favoritism... More

6. "Great company great culture great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love that all employees are heard and valued
    Lean process makes sense and we're 'doing work that matters'
    Progressive!

Cons

Change is frequent so may not be comfortable for those that do not like change

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always looking out for the employees.

Cons

A lot of senior leadership has left the company in the last year.

8. "Amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Murray, UT

I worked at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is by far the best place I have ever worked! The job is not hard but is challenging enough so you don't get bored. Inbound calls, the workload is never too much to handle. This is not a typical "call center" because there is tons of support if you need it and they don't micro manage. The leadership at SPS are all AMAZING! They truly care about the people who work there and they care about your success. The environment is pretty laid back while getting things done. It's a positive environment and if you are lucky enough to land a job here then hold on to it. I have never worked somewhere that cares so much about the employees. Upper management has an open door policy, if you need to talk about anything any supervisor is more than happy to help. The operations manager is the same, if you need to talk or have an idea or concerns she is always happy to sit with you and talk about it. I had to go for personal reasons, but I hope that one day I am lucky enough to be able to work there again when the time is right.

Cons

The only thing is that one location has an awesome facility, but the other location needs some kind of little cafeteria or something. There was a little workout room put in so that is new and pretty awesome. Other than that, nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Just maybe get something better so there are options for employees who don't want to drive somewhere if they forget their lunch. Or a little store, just somewhere that employees can go on their lunch that is a little better than a tiny break room. That is it, seriously keep doing what you do! Management and leadership at SPS know what they are doing. They are wonderful. They are really great at working with your schedule. I would just maybe recommend having a bigger variety of shifts available when people are hired. Like I said they will work with you and your schedule because they do really care about their employees, it might make things a little better though if more options are offered in the very beginning. Some people like early shifts, some like later shifts, some would want four 10's and others don't. I really recommend having more shifts available in the very beginning. That's all, thank you.

Sep 22, 2017 – Transformation and Business Readiness Leader

Thank you for your very detailed review! We are happy to know that your time at SPS was so positive and that you felt like the work environment was “not a typical call center.” We continually focus... More

9. "Patient Service Representative"

Current Employee - Patient Servvie Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Servvie Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for, keep you updated on what is going on in the industry and competitive wages and benefits

Cons

Could be stressful and high expectations

Sep 22, 2017 – Transformation and Business Readiness Leader

Thank you for your comments. The life of a PSR is indeed stressful with high expectations. We certainly don’t underestimate the value and importance of this critical role relative to our patients... More

10. "Great Call Center Job"

Current Employee - PSR II in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - PSR II in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Absolutely no sales, and deals with helping patient's get an appointment with Doctor's.
    -You're dealing with "patient's" and not "customers", so they're more respectful.
    -Call aren't excessive and are around 65 on a bad day.
    -Management cares about your goals.
    -Friendly culture that makes an attempt to value your skills and input.
    -Turnover rate is extremely low.
    -Pay is competitive
    -Quarterly bonuses of $250-$1150 based on performance for doing your job well.
    -You get your own desk/monitors to help your area feel personal and comfortable.
    -Various shifts/Opportunities available including grave shifts.
    -Great benefits including college reimbursement, PTO on day 1, health etc etc.

Cons

-Like any call center, the job can be monotonous/tedious.
    -Sometimes upper managers come up with ideas/make changes that aren't in touch with the average PSR. Sometimes these changes aren't helpful, and make your job more of a pain - even if they're little things.

Advice to Management

Before you make changes to scripting or anything else, ask us if it will help the patient/make are calls irritating - then follow through. Sometimes the little "changes" or "tweaks" that are supposed to help better the patient experience - don't.

Sep 22, 2017 – Transformation and Business Readiness Leader

Thank you for your review! You outline some excellent details about our Service Center and the role of a PSR. Your comment about upper management coming up with ideas/changes that impact the life... More