Sutter Physician Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Sutter Physician Services CEO Jeremy Eaves
Jeremy Eaves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Decent health care and opportunity to work from home" (in 6 reviews)

• "This is a great company that I can stay with until I retire" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Micromanagement, passive aggressive managers, open space setting seems like a warehouse with a giant call center in it" (in 6 reviews)

• "A bit of upper management disconnect" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Equal opportunity. Great people. Great culture.

Cons

More development for staff is needed

2. "Used to be a joy to work here"

Current Employee - Service Desk Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Service Desk Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere. Effort to to be honestly beneficial to patients and great support for patient community.

Cons

Since the switch over to Sutter Shared Services, management has turned to be very analytical and micro-managing on a customer-service standpoint where things are measured even by the second and how many customers have been engaged daily. Instead of overall helping the patient and customer satisfaction, they spend more time running constant metric meetings daily and adding "features" to their patient experience that might be deemed not necessary or as important as making sure the patient needs are being met with what is currently being offered.

3. "Sutter Health Plus"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Murray, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent health care and opportunity to work from home.

Cons

Working in a call center. Callers are often upset or irritated with the fact that they have an HMO. Issues can sometimes be very serious and complicated, and it's hard to not take these cases home with you.

Advice to Management

More structured and efficient training, higher pay for more competent employees.

4. "SPS now Sutter Shared Service"

Current Employee - Account Representative II in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Account Representative II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing management from upper to supervisors and leads. Teaching and learning culture. Flexible schedule: office open from 5:45am- 6:00pm. Full time telecommuter option, depending on position. 4 10 hour work days available. Great medical benefits. Christmas and wellness program bonus. Opportunity for learning. Onsite Cafe. Close & free parking. Free coffee & tea available in building. Optional sports on lunches: dodgeball, softball, etc. Nice walking paths near building. Close by lots of food: La Bou, Sandwich Spot, etc. Recent upgrades to electric sit/ stand desks. Annual employee appreciation BBQ & Christmas lunch. Employee surveys of comapny that are taken seriously & changes are made from these.

Cons

Salary is not up to par with marketplace value but they have made annual changes to this. Without precious medical experience, this job is very hard and overwhelming for 1st 6 months- 1 year.

"Hoping for better days ahead or to hit the lotto!"

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee and Dependent insurance coverage through UMR Sutter Select is great, great people with leadership potential

Cons

Micromanaging, over worked and understaffed, company does not backfill positions, constant changes with unrealistic goals, poor to no communication from management, favoritism, no room for growth, pay is not competitive or does not match similar or same positions as other health care facilities.

Advice to Management

Engage more with staff, provide necessary training for the constant changes throughout S3, take courses on developing leadership skills, build “teams” up and not cause discord amongst teammates, PRACTICE CONFIDENTIALITY(Joe, Bob, and Jim should not have knowledge about another employee that was entrusted to you), micromanaging does no one anyone good- hire a team you can trust and treat them well and they will do their best, and give recognition where it is due

6. "Always Patient First"

Former Employee - Human Resources Bu in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Human Resources Bu in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee and patient focus was always focus of leadership. Sutter culture was amazing!

Cons

Limited promotional opportunities in Utah.

"Pretty good for the first year then downhill from there."

Former Employee - Triage RN in West Valley, UT
    Former Employee - Triage RN in West Valley, UT

I worked at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competetive benefits, work from home, cool co-workers, managers were good for the most part.

Cons

Bad decision making from upper leadership. Hardly any flexibiltiy in scheduling, really bad monthly meetings- poorly run and confusing.

Advice to Management

Take advice and input from the nurses who are actually triaging patients not just stats. Work hard at keeping your best triagers, ask them why they are quitting and what can you do to keep them.

8. "Advice nurse"

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time

Pros

Work from home, or remote

Cons

New company with lots of changes

9. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great focus on developing process efficiencies. Good work experience.

Cons

Not a lot of upward movement. Not much training/development for leadership.

"Supervisors and Team Leads are Excellent, upper management is lacking."

Current Employee - PAMF PSR in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - PAMF PSR in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There’s definitely a mix of pros and cons, but I’m really surprised by the extremely negative ones. You can certainly tell who is a bit sour about their time with Sutter, and I can only assume it’s because they were bad at their job or have a poor attitude.

-Absolutey awesome leadership (for most) supervisors and Team leads, aka direct leadership.

-Job is relatively easy.

-Decent benefits. 3 day paid bereavement, pto, and
    even jury duty is paid.

-Nice building with a great cafe and gym downstairs. (I don’t get how people can say the desks are small, you get dual monitors and a large L desk. )

-The knowledge you actually gain from learning processes in the medical field.

-Awesome people, and an extremely healthy environment. It’s seriously the most professional call center I’ve ever worked at They have high standards for work etiquette and your sups and peers are held to the same standard. They even give people an interview to give feedback if they quit on the spot, or are fired - ehrm what?!

-Optional/encouraged to work from home and provide the equipment (besides internet/chair/desk).

-They’re extremely respectful of prior military, cultures, and race. And I have no clue why someone would say that. We have many, many Spanish speaking/white/polynesian/islander/Black And people of all ethnicities here. Women also outnumber men 2 to 1.

-The Bonus’s are really easy to hit just by doing your job.

-They ARE pretty lenient with attendance, which is sometimes good/sometimes bad because it is highly abused by other PSR’s.

Cons

-Not very much room to grow, and many times even when a leadership position opens it is filled by those who are already leadership (or a couple of favorites who had “temp-leadership” status. )

-Not many days available to request PTO ahead of time as they restrict time to the middle of the week and have “Mandatory Mondays/Friday’s”

-Unpaid time off is frowned upon and you typically can’t request any days off for trips without pto.

-Repetitive and busy. They usually have small computer courses you’re required to take every few months but you don’t have the time to do it because you’re slammed with calls and can’t even check emails.

-It seems our direct leadership (Supervisors and Team Leads) have our back and attempt to argue for the policies we want, but are shut down by upper management.

-Upper management makes policies and enforces needless things that make our jobs more of a pain. They seem to have a disconnection with us and don’t know how to do our job, and what we need to be happy with our jobs.

-You can’t talk about pay but there is definitely (sometimes large) differences in pay of regular PSR’s. It typically ranges from $13-$17 and sometimes those who have been there a while make $13.50 and those who were just hired make $15-$16. But it’s against policy to discuss wages with peers.

-Pay raise is slow, even if you score highly on yearly reviews.

-Average pay of $13-$15 doesn’t seem very competitive with other call centers or jobs of this type. They often will try to convince PSR’s to take on other projects, responsibilities saying it “looks good” for promotions but really it’s just extra work for the same pay.

-No holiday pain, instead you’re required to use pto for mandatory holidays.

Advice to Management

Listen to our direct leadership. When our leadership comes to you with our complaints, don’t shove it under the rug and ignore it. They’re OUR complaints we want addressed.

When we take our annual employee surveys you hype up all year, we also feel disrespected when you shove that under the rug and we never hear about the results.

If you’d also like to reduce burn-out, hire more staff so we aren’t always slammed, and give us longer breaks. Two 10 minute breaks may seem generous to you, but it’s not competitive to the average/expected 15 most companies give.