Sutter Physician Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Sutter Physician Services CEO Jeremy Eaves
Jeremy Eaves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits including college reimbursement, PTO on day 1, health etc etc (in 17 reviews)

• It really is a great place to work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any call center, the job can be monotonous/tedious (in 6 reviews)

• A bit of upper management disconnect (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place To Work"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a fast growing company with an excellent culture. There are lots of opportunities for growth, and the ability to move up in the company.

Cons

This is call center work. Working on the phones for 8 hours a day can by trying at times.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great leadership, caring company, great co-workers. I have been here 7 years and wouldn't dream of leaving. In my division the majority are all long term employees.

Cons

I personally don't have any "cons".

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, stay engaged, be real and transparent.

3. "Ops Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work we do matters. The people we work with and for are all amazing and genuinely care about the impact they make.

Cons

There could be more recognition for leaders and their accomplishments.

"Office Space or Get Out Movie"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, there are a lot of fun employee activities, flexible work schedules that allow staff to work 5 days from home. The organization tries really hard to make the organization appear to be a fun and cool place to work

Cons

Mgmt tries really hard to make a nice culture, but it seems phony and a bit forced. Micromanagement, passive aggressive managers, open space setting seems like a warehouse with a giant call center in it. There are no walls to separate departments and no privacy in your own desk space. Just watch Office Space or Get Out movie and you will get a sense for this organization. There is a dress code;however, most people dress unprofessionally casual (yoga pants, football jerseys, sweatshirts etc). Department meetings are held via Skype even when people sit next to each other (The most bizarre thing is to talk on the phone to a person that sits 3 feet from you!!). The organization is not really open to new and innovative ideas.

Advice to Management

Skype is overused throughout the organization instead of people just connecting and talking face to face. Managers need to learn how to lead by example and not just talk. Get feedback from staff on process improvements instead of being dictator-like behavior.

Sutter Physician Services Response

Feb 13, 2018 – Transformation and Business Readiness Leader

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. We are sorry that your work experience with SPS has been less than favorable. You’ve noted some serious “cons” about our work... More

5. "Here til I retire!"

Current Employee - Coordinator in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Coordinator in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company that I can stay with until I retire!

Cons

There are none! If I had to say one then a have to travel 12 miles to get here

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great work!!!

6. "Telephone Triage nurse"

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services part-time

Pros

The ability to work from home is the only positive that there is in the position. If you had to drive in for this job. I don’t believe anyone would work here.

Cons

4 minutes between calls to finish up charting on a patient. Then usually you are getting another call.

If you normally are scheduled on a day that a holiday falls on then you work it

Always under staffed, high turn over rate

Constantly asking for people to work extra!hours

Very hard to get time off, management wants you to find someone to work your shift. Which is hard a lot of the time. Even a month in advance

They do not offer extra pay if they are busy

People think they are calling the doctors office

Definitely not a job for most nurses. This is a CALL CENTER job. You still must work nights weekends and holidays.

Sometimes patients do not want to talk with a nurse and they transfer them over before they will make them an appt

Advice to Management

Make sure patients know they are calling an advice line not the dr office
    Make getting time off easier. Especially in advance.

7. "Employee oriented organization"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Organization has Talented staff. Historically the company has been very employee oriented. My Division gies me a sense of pride in what we accomplish.

Cons

Currently there is an unknown future with the parent company, Sutter Health. New leadership doesn’t have the history of our company to know how well we have done on our own.

"Management doesn’t understand what leadership is."

Current Employee - AR Follow-up Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - AR Follow-up Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours....but there’s a catch to that. Not a positive thing. Employees are lined up every morning at 5:45am trying to beat everyone else in to get the easy claims and denials so they can meet quota. If you start late you will be stuck with harder claims that require a lot of time and researching and you won’t meet qouta and management will be questioning you on why you are not. If you have been in the field with experience you will be ok once you know the job if not stay away these guys are worthless and don’t appreciate effort.

Cons

Don’t know where to start. You are just Number at this particular affiliate, they take you on with or no experience and it’s swim or drown they don’t care that you left a job to join their team, Training is terrible ! Trainer is interested about talking about his home life and dieting , 75% of the class including myself were very dissatisfied with his training, and when mentioned to our direct supervisor she disregarded everyone’s feedback. She also says she wants everyone to “succeed “ but sure doesn’t support it. All they care about is numbers totally different atmosphere from any other Sutter affiliate. Sarah Krevans would be very disappointed if she was to see how they treat their employees. No Sutter spirit there. Thankful for my first Sutter employer and how she knows what true Leadership means and what Sutter spirit is!

Advice to Management

Learn How to be true leaders and support people that are willing to learn and work hard. don’t be all about numbers! Invest in people!

9. "Good Company; Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Quality in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Quality in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits- medical, dental, vision, life, 403b, very small amount of tuition reimbursement, wellness bonus, holiday bonus, other employee bonuses if you're a phone agent, PTO rate is good.

Cons

ZERO respect for military and prior service.
    People with FMLA/ADA are harassed, treated differently, neglected and so on. A few people on multiple occasions had their needs ignored to the point that they ended up in emergency rooms or needing to have the ambulance show up due to negligence from superiors and human resources.

Worse than other business politics: promotions usually based on who you know rather than merit and experience.

Total disregard for diversity, cultural differences, age, and race.

Employee satisfaction survey results are not taken seriously, & when they ask the teams how to improve they take the bare minimum & ignore the more important issues.

Concerns brought to management, upper management, and human resources are ignored and then you are treated differently for having said anything at all. Many employees, including the ones with fmla/ada needs, fear taking action for mistreatment because of the retaliation, being pushed out, and threatened.

They ask for ideas on how to improve processes & other things but either ignore your ideas or steal them & behave as though you have not contributed anything.

If you don't participate in giving your whole life story, or participate in every single activity (dressing up, games; even if you participate in the ones you do like) you get accused of not being a team player or a part of the "work family" & your annual review/raise suffers for it.

Unrealistic expectations and metrics. Even the best employees such as myself and others could not meet some, and when you bring it to their attention they scoff at you, brush it off, reprimand you or try to, take no accountability or suggestions. You go from being the top employee to the one they push out.
    High turn over rate in operations and support. On my team alone in support, 4 of us have quit within the same year, 2 within a few months apart, 2 within the same week; & these positions formerly had a low turn over rate.

They tell you your job role & how to do it, but when you do it the way they said to, you're still wrong. A lot of contradictions, double standards, hypocrisy, and no self-accountability especially in management and upper management.

There is a protocol to follow when something is needed, and instead of following it- people wait last minute and demand they get what they need. They will wait the hour before It is needed to ask for something that takes hours, or even days to complete because they procrastinate. When you don't jump when they ask, because it is impossible and or because they didn't follow protocol when others did, they blame you and try to throw you under the bus instead of owning up to their mistake.

I have a huge stack of evidence that I had to submit to the department of labor. I never had to do this at any other job in my life. It is despicable. As soon as two of us top employees started getting pushed out, we found other jobs where we both get treated like royalty. I found another job where I am respected and treated as an adult, they are amazing and already within the 2nd day I was offered a promotion.

Advice to Management

Face the music. You know what is wrong and you can't hide that you know. Take action before it becomes worse than it already is. You have lost many of the best employees and then wonder why things don't work out so well at work.

10. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sutter Physician Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, possible flexible schedules.

Cons

If the queue is busy, leadership will be monsters

Advice to Management

Work on keeping employees happy, and then the calls will get answered.

Sutter Physician Services Response

Sep 22, 2017 – Transformation and Business Readiness Leader

Thank you for your feedback. Your comment about leadership when our call queues get busy is concerning. While we take great measures to ensure that our patients are well cared for, we strive to... More