Suzhou Foreign Language School Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Foreign Language Teacher at Taizhou Foreign Language School"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Suzhou Foreign Language School as a contractor

Pros

- 1 month winter vacation
    - 2 month summer vacation
    - free apartment
    - free meals at school
    - kids and their families are incredible

Cons

- extremely difficult to deal with misbehaving kids
    - culture of saving face can be infuriating

2. "Don't care about their teachers anymore"

I have been working at Suzhou Foreign Language School full-time

Pros

Good classroom environment
    Kids have a high level of English
    Most Chinese co workers are friendly

Cons

The school changed headteacher a year or so ago and has become more and more difficult to work at. Treatment of foreign teachers by the international department is good but only when it suits them, they follow the contract to suit their own needs and are unwilling to solve problems faced by teachers, such as, late pay, missing pay, reimbursement of flights and medical bills. There is a lot of annoying things I have found working there that could be easily solved but nobody seems willing to do so, and over time I have seen problems become both more and more common and irritating. My advise, go elsewhere

Advice to Management

Listen to your teachers and be fair

3. "Good School"

Current Employee - Middle School English Teacher
    Current Employee - Middle School English Teacher

I have been working at Suzhou Foreign Language School full-time

Pros

A flexible work environment. The compensation is competitive and always on time. I can't speak for other departments, but my department is managed VERY well. AWESOME students!! The school is always kept very clean and tidy. HR seems to be putting in a lot of effort to improve the school. Their efforts sometimes fall short, but at least they are trying.

Cons

All foreign teachers are kind of thrown in the same basket. Whether you work 50 hour weeks or the bare minimum, everyone gets treated the same. The difference in pay between primary school and middle school/high school does not always reflect the difference in workloads. Focus seems to be on paying whoever has a masters degree...not necessarily on who works the hardest or who has the most USEFUL qualifications (IE: having completed several TESOL programs). There isn't really any room for advancement for Foreign Staff.

Advice to Management

Don't look at your foreign teachers as a collective group. Look at us as individuals. Some of us work very hard, others do not. I should not be thrown in with the teachers who do the bare minimum.

4. "Stay away"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Suzhou, Anhui (China)
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Suzhou, Anhui (China)

Pros

Good social life among foreign teachers. Freedom as opposed to Chinese teachers. Chinese New Year bonus paid up front. Paid sick leave.

Cons

No support from managment. School doesn't follow the contract when it is in their interests, but when it helps them they enforce it strongly. They don't seem to care about education, just making the parents happy. Discipline is non-existent. The amount of classes in the contract is not the real amount you have to teach. Accommodation is dated, on campus, with many restrictions and rules. Food is awful. Kids run the place, classic rich little emperors.

Advice to Management

Hire teachers with teaching credentials. Help with discipline in the classroom. Take an interest in your teachers, get to know them and help them with their work. Follow the contract!

5. "Growing school, cramped quarters"

Current Employee - Teacher in Suzhou, Jiangsu (China)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Suzhou, Jiangsu (China)

Pros

Salary and benefits package are great, teaching materials are above par, most fellow teachers are easy to get along with, good location vs my living quarters

Cons

Too many teacher hires of those with no teaching background, campus student body staff is growing but facilities are not. Senior management is distant and doesn't seem truly invested in staff or its students. Students seem to run the show in many cases.

Advice to Management

Kids need discipline and structure. Rewarding lazy students equally as achieving students is ridiculous. Having no punishment system at all is a detriment to teachers and the "play-by-the-rules" top students. With the extremely high student count, perhaps it's time to build a new school or add on to the current campus somehow (build up?).