Swedish Medical Center Registered Nurse Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard Hammett
  1. "Amazing Staff"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

New CNO passionate about nursing, has made drastic improvements. Family like environment, everyone very kind and helpful. Staff are great patient advocates at every level.

Cons

The building is old and requires constant fixes which can get frustrating.

Advice to Management

Spend as much time as possible with those at the bedside so you don't lose site of how hard it really is.

Swedish Medical Center2017-03-18

"worst job I have ever had"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

the only pro I can think of would be a handful of coworkers that made it bearable to come to work.

Cons

Management is a joke, they don't ever have their employees backs and will throw them under the bus at the drop of a hat. They only care about one thing and that is money. They don't care about unsafe patient ratios with high acuity patients and no supportive staff at all. They pick on their new grads and punish them for mistakes instead of making it a learning opportunity to teach them. The environment was toxic and very...

Advice to Management

Have your employees backs instead of throwing them under the bus. If employees feel supported at work they will stay longer and turn over wouldn't be as high. Also work harder to keep your floors fully staffed, if pay was better it might make it easier to keep your staff.

Swedish Medical Center2019-02-07

Swedish Medical Center Response

March 5, 2019VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Employee voice and patient safety are of the utmost importance to us at Swedish Medical Center. We have shared your concerns with department and executive leadership to review and address the needs of the department.

3. "Went downhill during my time there"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room for growth, expanding

Cons

Managers tend to tow the line instead of sticking up for nurses, felt little appreciation by upper management in spite of doing hard work, did not feel as though nursing managers had my back

Advice to Management

Treat the nurses well and stick up for them more often rather than giving in to every whim of upper management (who've likely never cared for patients a day in their lives)

Swedish Medical Center2018-11-11

Swedish Medical Center Response

November 21, 2018VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Based on your Glassdoor profile , it appears that you may have left feedback for Swedish Medical Center in Seattle, WA. We are located in Englewood, CO. Please consider reviewing and/or removing your feedback so it is placed with the appropriate location. ...

"Worst Corporation in history of U.S."

Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Denver, CO

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They have discontinued and/or destroyed any that once existed.

Cons

All they care about is profit. This translates to demanding more work from fewer employees, strictly punitive management, erosion of benefits, and declining morale., to name a few of its adverse effects. It was a great hospital and workplace until Columbia took over in 1995. Then it went downhill overnight and has continued to landslide to what has to be an all-time low; from what was like a big happy family to the...

Advice to Management

Healthcare is no place for selfishness and greed!!!!!! And stop using Mary White as the scapegoat. She's been gone quite some time now, The new CEO is Richard Hammett. The real influence there is and always has been Kathy Ashenfelter, CFO.

Swedish Medical Center2018-05-31
  5. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Co-workers are amazing. The benefits are truly great. The prescription coverage is truly amazing.

Cons

The pay is less than enough to live alone and under the cost of living. The 3% increase is what they say is for the cost of living increases, but the cost of living here is increasing almost 7% each year. Understaffed and underpaid. To keep nursing staff the minimum starting wage for nurses should be at least $35/hr

Advice to Management

Increase the nursing staffs pay so they can be paid for the work they do. Nurses are way underpaid for everything that is put on them.

Swedish Medical Center2018-03-30

"Great Place"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good teamwork and connection between staff at all levels. New management has brought fresh ideas with focus on better connections to our bedside staff. Many new hires that have been great additions to our team. Future looks bright.

Cons

Lots of change in nursing in general with many new faces. Need to continue to focus on listening to the needs of staff and proactively responding.

Advice to Management

Be aware that lots of change at one time can be very stressful even when positive so recognizing the staff for great work goes a long way.

Swedish Medical Center2016-09-24

"ER was great place to work"

Former Employee - ER RN in Englewood, CO

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management, great teamwork environment and worked with some amazing nurses there. Would definitely go there as a patient if I had an emergency.

Cons

Can be a little inflexible regarding schedule changes, they changed one of my days to a really inconvenient start time without speaking with me about it first, just sent me an email telling me about the permanent schedule change. Took about a year to get the shift I wanted.

Advice to Management

More flexibility regarding scheduling needs/desires of employees and better communication about upcoming changes when they are needed.

Swedish Medical Center2016-03-02

"Rn"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Anyone can get a job, due to high turn over

Cons

Level upon level of managment, micromanaging, low pay, working short staffed on purpose. Btw Mary White is not the CEO anymore. She , like almost all longterm staff have been encouraged to leave

Swedish Medical Center2016-03-21

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time

Pros

Most co workers are helpful

Cons

Management is terrible. Training was terrible as well. Expected to take on double the duties and responsibilities for low pay.

Swedish Medical Center2016-03-20

"Do not work here or for hca"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

very easy to get hired! The staff is nice and for the most part hard working. Doctors are super nice.

Cons

All hca cares about is making money! They force us to budge everyday and work short staff to save money. 2 weeks after I got off orientation they had me charge on night shift when I had zero charge exp and when I brought my concerns to management they did not care until I threaten to go to HR and quit. You are micromanaged and threaten to be wrote up for everything down to not having your name written on the white boards.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees and what is ethical. You can't expect your staff to work short everyday they will burn out!

Swedish Medical Center2015-10-20