Swedish Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Swedish Medical Center CEO Richard Hammett
Richard Hammett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Departments work together to provide great care to patients" (in 2 reviews)

• "Patient care is the highest priority" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "They expect new grads to be able to take 4 patients first day" (in 4 reviews)

• "Very high turnover, nurses are given scripts on how to talk to patients because all they care about hcahps which is low to begin with" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"What a team!"

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time

Pros

Hardcore dedicated leaders who care about the quality of care and improvement of life for patients, employees, and guests. I have been in the HCA system for 6 years and at Swedish for 2, but it's clear to me where the hardworking team players go. It is an honor to work here and be a part of in credible team to truly does care. I have seen some incredible challenges overcome by this team. I would gladly bring my family to Swedish for any care. Providers, RN's, Techs, and others, contribute so much to their work here. I have seen many of them sacrifice time and their own issues just to improve the life of someone here. I don't think that is everywhere in the medical industry, but it seems to be standard here. This team is excellent!

Cons

It's not easy to work this hard and make sacrifices sometimes for others. But is pays off when your part of a team who all do the same to accomplish such great achievements.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! It shows how much you care.

Jan 14, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Employee voice is of the utmost importance to us at Swedish Medical Center. We thank you for your support of the hospital and the patients we serve.

2. "assistant director"

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time

Pros

great mission, people, transparency, family, visibility

Cons

navigating the campus and parking is not the best

Advice to Management

continue visibility and communication and great leadership

Jan 14, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

"worst job I have ever had"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the only pro I can think of would be a handful of coworkers that made it bearable to come to work.

Cons

Management is a joke, they don't ever have their employees backs and will throw them under the bus at the drop of a hat. They only care about one thing and that is money. They don't care about unsafe patient ratios with high acuity patients and no supportive staff at all. They pick on their new grads and punish them for mistakes instead of making it a learning opportunity to teach them. The environment was toxic and very "cliquey". They had a very distinct group of people that ran the floor and if they didn't like you they made things very uncomfortable for you. Staffing always depended on money and budget not what was actually safe for the patients. They would rather have their nurses 6-1 with no tech and save money than to bring in another nurse and lessen everyones load. If you tried to speak out about your concerns you then became a target and were pushed out. They aren't interested in anything that could take away from their profit, but are 100% fine taking things away from their staff. To put the cherry on the top, their pay is laughable compared to anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Have your employees backs instead of throwing them under the bus. If employees feel supported at work they will stay longer and turn over wouldn't be as high. Also work harder to keep your floors fully staffed, if pay was better it might make it easier to keep your staff.

Mar 5, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Employee voice and patient safety are of the utmost importance to us at Swedish Medical Center. We have shared your concerns with department and executive leadership to... More

"RN"

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Good management
    Supportive environment for new graduates

Cons

High turnover rate
    Slightly low pay compared to other hospitals

Mar 5, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

"Laboratory staffing dangerously low....Admin. aware with NO CHANGES to address this...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time

Pros

Always quite busy, shift goes fast. The transition to being managed by Quest Laboratory is seemingly accomplished after several years.. Long term laboratory employees really help stabilize the team with expertise and now have wildly fluctuating start times to compensate for reduced staff/increased workload at all benches; a situation that corporate number crunching has produced. Butterfly usage is not limited. HCA has managed to remain highly profitable when other hospitals are folding, and Swedish Lab has been a shining example to sister hospitals in terms of productivity.

Cons

Meditech is wasteful of our time. Time where every move is being monitored, productivity demands are unrealistic, ever-increasing, and ever stressful to many.
    Staffing is ridiculously low...and you are making huge profits on the backs of your people. Literally. Phlebs are being worked to death, several are out with serious medical issues and you provide NO real solutions. Turnover at all time high, with management turning head away from some REAL NEEDS.

Advice to Management

Remember what it's like to be in the trenches, on the benches!! Have some backbone when it comes to staffing needs for your people. Show us with your patterns of behavior that you understand our concerns and needs and will actively advocate for Real solutions. Hang out on the bench sometime if you forgot what it's like...and...workload is even heavier than what it used to be....day after day...with little hope of change at the corporate level. And try getting a 2% raise after dealing with all of this...when inflation has outpaced my corporation metrics, again and again. Talk about dismal...

Jan 14, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

"Great team, but you will be overworked and underpaid"

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time

Pros

Floor dependent but people (coworkers) are great, the doctors are 9/10 great. The cell phone system used for communication is very useful and time saving, needs some work but it's a new system. Real sense of community/teamwork.

Cons

-MEDITECH
    -No opportunity for professional growth
    -Management: little to no support staff with order from management reducing support staff responsibilities and availability. Every department is understaffed. -Some of the surgeons are jerks, that's as expected.
    -Benefits are better elsewhere, pay is better anywhere else (including other HCAs). Don't expect a bonus ever, raises are minimal at best.

Advice to Management

No one will stay long term in that environment, sure you force new grads to stay for 2 years but everyone will leave at first chance. Pay them more, support them more, value who you have. Meditech is not safe, it might be cheap but it's not safe, spring for EPIC. Hire more support staff (by offering decent pay) and stop piling more duties on your overworked nurses.

Jan 14, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

7. "Swedish is the best!"

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time

Pros

The Swedish team is completely committed to providing excellent care at every step in the patient and visitor experience. The employees and medical staff are highly valued and treated with respect. The organization's vision for the future is inspiring. This is truly a team that desires to be the very best hospital in the country. Buoyed by strong leadership and excellent staff, Swedish will only continue to achieve excellent results in patient service, quality of care, and growth.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Jan 14, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

8. "More than 10 years at Swedish!"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture at Swedish Medical Center is supportive, focused on quality, and overall teamwork. Patient care is the highest priority. The people are what have kept me here for > 10 years.

Cons

The building is always under construction, but that is also a plus! Swedish is always growing to whatever the community needs.

Jan 14, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

9. "Went downhill during my time there"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA

I worked at Swedish Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth, expanding

Cons

Managers tend to tow the line instead of sticking up for nurses, felt little appreciation by upper management in spite of doing hard work, did not feel as though nursing managers had my back

Advice to Management

Treat the nurses well and stick up for them more often rather than giving in to every whim of upper management (who've likely never cared for patients a day in their lives)

Nov 21, 2018 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Based on your Glassdoor profile , it appears that you may have left feedback for Swedish Medical Center in Seattle, WA. We are located in Englewood, CO. Please consider... More

10. "Director"

I have been working at Swedish Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very supportive, celebrate your wins and support growth, great about career path support and giving opportunities to grow in your career, they make decisions based on facts and data instead of random

Cons

Not highest paying but great benefits, farther from my home but worth the drive!