Sweet Adelines International Reviews

2.3
Sweet Adelines International President Joan Boutilier
Joan Boutilier
0 Rating

"Sweet Adelines is my dream job!"

5.0

I have been working at Sweet Adelines International

Pros

Sweet Adelines International has changed the lives of women for 70 years! Each and every day is a joy at HQ, I talk with our members (23,000 and counting) from all over the world! Fantastic work culture, we are a family and I feel blessed to be a part of such a wonderful organization!

Cons

I really have nothing to put here!

"Terrible place to work"

I have been working at Sweet Adelines International full-time

Pros

The pros to working at Sweet Adelines are a fairly flexible workday, good vacation-time policy and a generally good group of people to work with. The members can also be great to get to know.

Cons

Management here is awful. There is a NEW new CEO (the third in three years I think?) and no one feels like their job is safe. It seems like the lay-offs and firings are just non-stop. And there is no sign of anything getting better... the new CEO is the former COO and protege of the first CEO (see all the negative reviews from that time to see what I’m talking about). There is still a mean-girls club on the leadership team, and the board just seems to want to push the whole CEO genie back in the bottle. I am looking for a new opportunity, and others on staff have told me they are doing the same. Membership is down every year and it seems like no one really knows how to stop the bleeding. Job hunters beware - this place looks like shimmer and sequins, but it is hell.

"Quirky"

Former Employee - Copy Writer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Sweet Adelines International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, reasonable pay, solid hours, lots of paid leave at a nonprofit geared toward women.

Cons

Management is confused and misguided; business techniques are not in line with other successful nonprofits

4. "Low Membership & High Turnover"

I have been working at Sweet Adelines International full-time

Pros

Benefits. The members that pay to be part of Sweet Ads keep me here. Their devotion is unquestionable and deserving of a dedicated team. They are amazing.

Cons

The continual mismanagement of valuable time, resources, and energy is a consistent reason for low moral amongst staff that have stayed and worked hard for organization. There is little time to accomplish the many demands placed on lomg term staff members due to constant rotating door. New staff are not provided with training and there is no consistant training for current staff.

Continue reading

"Only staying for the benefits"

2.0

I have been working at Sweet Adelines International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Doubt anyone could get better benefits anywhere else. And all the offices have doors, so personal space. There's also coffee... and sonic ice, sometimes.

Cons

Office politics are dreadful, moral in the office is worse than anywhere I've ever worked before. Everyone is pretty afraid they will get canned at anytime without any reason or warning. Expectations from management and organizational structure are constantly shifting. Workloads continue to increase for all employees without any plan for respite. Vacation time is great, but no cross-training to allow you to take significant time off. Will definitely pay closer attention to the next job interview, when they say you will, "wear multiple hats", or the job description says, "other duties as assigned", and have a more realistic idea of what that actually means. Pay is dreadful for the workload expected.

6. "Happy"

4.0

I have been working at Sweet Adelines International

Pros

Perks Great co-workers Great Acting CEO Productive Environment

Cons

Pay could be better but perks help to make up for it.

"Lets hope things improve now that the CEO is finally gone"

I worked at Sweet Adelines International full-time

Pros

Wonderful organization, excellent fellow employees, great benefits

Cons

No job security, terrible leadership

"Wonderful Organization with Dark, Dishonest Leader"

I worked at Sweet Adelines International full-time

Pros

I feel that this organization is a wonderful collection of creative, talented individuals who wholeheartedly support each other and the staff that works very hard to support them each day. Some of the best people I have ever met were/are members of this organization and I am glad there are memberships like this who can help young vocalists grow and become empowered to move forward in their music careers.

Cons

Unfortunately there are many cons to working at the headquarter office. Confirming that the other negative reviews on this site are accurate, the primary issue is the level of dishonesty, back stabbing and "girls club" management that exists behind it's doors. This organization is definitely not what it seems to be to the outside world - or to its board of directors. I believe that if you are assertive, show strength or question the decision's of the CEO or become soured in her eyes, your days will become numbered. I have seen some wonderfully talented and gifted staff members shunned and eventually cut because of not conforming to the "group" or "click" that the CEO has created. Also and very unfortunately, the CEO and other members of the management team (when I was employed) are professed Christians which contradicted their behavior and methods in the workplace. Many times I witnessed threatening talk and gossip toward an unpopular staff member just because of their personality or lack of interest to be a member of the elite group. I think one could survive quite well at this organization if they were to move through each day with eyes down and not share an honest thought or action - completely submit to the CEO without question and dignity. It is a warning to all who may investigate a career here to question your morales, integrity and willingness to serve a passive aggressive master or someone who truly empowers the women and men that also serve the membership. Look at the statistics of employment here and weight your options carefully. Their are many organizations that are supported by excellent, hardworking professionals who are servants first and executives second. This wonderful organization is tarnished and needs serious renovation from the top down. I hope that this fact is realized in the near future.

Continue reading

"Employees work for the CEO, not For Sweet Adelines"

I have been working at Sweet Adelines International full-time

Pros

Could be the most wonderful, fulfilling job possible if not for the leadership. Benefits are excellent! Employees are dedicated and love the organization.

Cons

Unfortunately, as much as employees love the organization and what it once stood for, it has now become an organization where employees work for the CEO. I would not recommend Sweet Adelines as a potential place of employment until the current leadership is changed. The CEO does not care about this organization and does not care about barbershop music. The CEO only cares about what she can get out of the organization as she continues to drain it. The Board are aware of many of these issues and there are still many more that they have not been made aware of. Our ability to interact and talk to the Board has been strongly discouraged and skillfully taken away. This was purposely done. The Board are blinded by her lies, fake tears, ability to convince them that she cares, her presents to them, and by the perks they now receive from the organization with her as the CEO. They have refused to take any action as this organization continues to decline. Our members see her clearly and do not like her, and still they do nothing. There are many dedicated and hardworking employees saddened at the prospect of leaving jobs and an organization we love because we can no longer deal with the current leadership. How many employees need to leave before the Board takes action? With a staff of approximately 30 people, we have had at least 29 people resign or be terminated since the CEO started. Those are not favorable odds to anyone looking for a long term position with Sweet Adelines. These employees either willingly resigned because of the conditions, been forced to resign, or terminated for less than honest reasons. They have been called "disgruntled", and many have had their reputations harmed or destroyed by the CEO because they questioned her, disagreed with her or had the nerve to confront her. She has had at least 8 executive assistants she began four years ago. A few of those lasted less than a week and never returned. The Board knows all of this and still they do nothing. As an employee, it is very hurtful to know that the Board cares so little about the staff or the members of Sweet Adelines. Shame on the Board, because this organization once stood for so much more than this.

Continue reading
  10. "Wonderful Place of Employment"

5.0

I have been working at Sweet Adelines International

Pros

Wonderful organization, amazing members and great staff!

Cons

I cannot think of any cons working at Sweet Adelines International. It is a joy to come to work every day.

Found 20 reviews