Sweet Street Desserts Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 14, 2017

2.4
Sandy Solmon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Working for Sweet Street"

I worked at Sweet Street Desserts part-time

Pros

Smart, dedicated staff willing to take risks

Cons

Can get tunnel vision on branding and products

2. "Not a good Experience . Thank God I can See the light"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Greenville, SC

I worked at Sweet Street Desserts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned Payroll and how to communicate with the employees.

Cons

Let's see. Okay I was advised that my roll would be an administrative assistant. I was told my duties was to assist with placing and updating the status of temporary employees, submit time sheets for payroll, submit hours reports to the accounting dept,and submit invoices for payment. That did not happen. I was advised that oh you will learn the invoices soon. The prev admin assistant I believe hung on to that part of the position just in case she did not like her new position or just to have something to do if the new position became a hurry up and wait type of thing. The other things, I was able to see what wrong about the admin position admin was the responsinability to handle the status of the temporary employees. Unfortunately, the HR Rep was really hogging that role as well. She would advise the mangers that use to report to me about the talents to report to her instead. I did not mind copying her about the status of the talents but she took over that roll as well. I was told to take the initiative to do something ,but it is hard to do so when you had two people that would not allow you to do so.My advise to the new person you only learn by doing. We all learned our positions by asking questions, making mistakes , and learning from them. Trust me if they someone was auditing them they may or not make it in the current roles as well. I am sure they will keep you around because thair hire ups may start seeing the light and say something isn't right ? Why now are you experiencing issues with this the admin assassistant? Then again they make like you enough to allow you to do your job.

Advice to Management

Please do not ask for someone to the initiative and then you do the job. Allow the new admin assistant to learn and grow just like you had the opportunity to do . Trust you all make mistakes that will come to the light as well.

3. "Horrible, Backwards company"

I worked at Sweet Street Desserts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Learn to work in unnecessarily stressful, faced paced environments.
    -Employment is easily gained.
    -If you are a pretty girl, expect a raise and plenty of attention from management and higher ups.

Cons

-Filthy unsanitary work environment.
    -High turnover due to low pay and poor management attitudes towards workers.
    -No planning is done, schedule is laid out by corporate and production is told to make happen. (typical bakeries plan for lines to be run at 75-80% of speed capability in order to plan for downtime - schedules at sweet street are at 100% with Supervisors/Superintendents receiving raises/bonuses based on downtime/production yield numbers. This leads to management pushing sanitation, SOP and GMP guidelines out the window in order to make scheduled rates/timelines for runs.
    -Hardest, most skilled positions make least amounts of money leading skilled workers towards positions were almost no work is necessary - leading to a poor product. Example - makeup lines and oven workers are second lowest paid workers yet highest skill/work demand besides mixing. Machine cleaners do almost no work yet make 2-3 dollars more per hour to start.
    -Superintendents will find creative ways to get rid of people for personal reasons, especially current 2nd & 3rd shift SI's.
    -HR will allow upper management to push boundaries of verbal abuse and harassment for fear of repercussions from owner.
    -The owner does not live in the real world anymore - continues to push the limits on employee's stress and work conditions while taking more and more away from home/work life.
    -No paid vacation for first two years. Then paid Christmas and 4th of july leave(for production. All other departments work and have choice of vacation weeks)
    -Sexual harassment does not exist at SSD.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately nothing will change until company is sold or closes.

4. "Sour place to work"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Fleetwood, PA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Fleetwood, PA

I worked at Sweet Street Desserts (More than a year)

Pros

Most products are very good, they are not afraid to spend money on new product development, equipment and such

Cons

Horrible leadership team! Untrained, uneducated, unprofessional in most cases. They pay most hourly workers terribly, so there is huge turnover and those that don't leave also don't care!

Advice to Management

Take your rose colored glasses off and hire an OUTSIDE engineering consulting firm to open your eyes that your chosen leadership are part of the problem, not the solution! Do some leadership development and get out of the 70's!

"great company to wprk for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

I have been working at Sweet Street Desserts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very entrepreneurial, great management team

Cons

hectic work pace,many projects going on at once

"It Aint So Sweet at Sweet Street"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

Pros

They will hire ANYONE!
    Employee meal discount and monthly discount on dessert products.
    1 free dessert item when you become a permanet employee!

Cons

They will hire ANYONE!!
    Feel like you work at a modern day sweat shop!
    Disgruntled employees are afraid to complain for fear of being fired on the spot, no questions asked!
    White collar employees treat blue collared employees like they are subserviant!
    Owner does not even acknowledge employees when passing in the facility but yet this company was made on the backs of her employees!

Advice to Management

Recognize and acknowledge how hard your employees work and then maybe they will be happier and work even harder. Stop being so biased and treat everyone fairly. Speak to your employees and not at them!

"not a really friendly place,"

Pros

different area's you can work in, have programs in place to make more money

Cons

people are not helpful, fear factor in management of upper management- too much micro-management, finger pointing, lack of teamwork
    Different standards on each shift.