Sweetwater Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Surack

Pros
  • I learned a lot and worked with many great people while I was there (in 4 reviews)

• Can purchase gear at company cost (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Some days require long hours, but nothing too excessive (in 7 reviews)

• The warehouse does not receive the same perks as the sales engineers and the marketing team (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, awesome campus, tons of benefits, and there is opportunity for growth.

Cons

It is not an easy job! You have to work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "Some Good Things Going On, Just Be Patient"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accommodation on Gear, Smart Coworkers (Best of the Best), Diner, Cafe, Health Club, Clinic.
    I work with Brad, Jon and Doug on a pretty regular basis, and they've all been super helpful in getting me to where I want to be. Nothing wrong with the rest, we just gel well. Also, Chuck does some amazing things for the community. Fort Wayne is going to be a place you want to be, if it isn't already.

Cons

Can take some time to get into the swing of things. It is definitely a roller coaster of a paycheck, but all things get better with time! You might not get it at first (it took me 2 years), but there are some good things going should you choose to stick it out.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. We grow constantly, which is awesome.

Apr 24, 2017 – Senior VP of Human Resources

We're glad to hear this Sales Engineer is enjoying their job at Sweetwater and want to acknowledge that we make no bones about the fact that this position will take time to become successful at. The ... More

"Red-headed Stepwarehouse"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, relaxed work environment, heat/ac, good vacation time, good employee discounts.

Cons

This is one of the lowest paying warehouses in the area, and you are forced to work long hours during the holidays. The warehouse does not receive the same perks as the sales engineers and the marketing team.

Feb 17, 2017 – Senior VP of Human Resources

Please see the company's response to the other post about the Distribution Center dated January 25th that addresses our feelings about this issue. All employees enjoy the many amenities the campus ... More

"Almost too big"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Sweetwater full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is plenty of earning potential if you stick to it. The facility is amazing and offers lots of amenities.

Cons

The company is getting too large and losing it's culture. The industry is starting to become a race to zero.

Advice to Management

Provide more positive feedback. Keep your finger on the pulse of individual performance. Focus on keeping the culture in tact.

Dec 5, 2016 – Senior VP of Human Resources

We're not quite sure what "a race to zero" means in this post. Our company continues to enjoy double digit increases in sales year after year, and is currently growing at a rate of about 7000 new ... More

"Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome place to work. Great people and great culture. Lots of friends in the company. Customers comes from all over the world to see the amazing campus. They really walk the walk with customer service...to customers, vendors and fellow employees. It is very inspirational and the best job I ever have had. I will stay forever. Chuck is an amazing leader...not just at Sweetwater, but all over the community. I am proud to work for him. He has a heart and he really cares.

Cons

It is hard work. You have to be willing to dig in and always giver your best. The company motto is to always do the right thing!

Advice to Management

None, great people who are very encouraging. They work really hard to promote from within...and they don't just say it, but they do it.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Sweetwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic earning potential to cost of living ratio (Fort Wayne, IN). Generous benefits package.

Cons

Your best will never be good enough. "Shaming" culture.

Advice to Management

Lack of autonomy needs to be presented accurately in job interview.

Dec 5, 2016 – Senior VP of Human Resources

We would like to say that our culture is based on excellence and integrity. We always do our best----and then push harder to do even better. That has nothing to do with "shame" and everything to do ... More

"Director of Print Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Sweetwater (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sweetwater is a place where, if you're able and willing to work hard, you can make a great professional life for yourself. It's awesome. Kinda all of it.

Cons

It's not for everyone. It's a shirt and tie atmosphere and you have to work hard to succeed there. I personally think that's a positive thing, but some might think it's not.

Advice to Management

Not much to advise, here - especially from me. Sweetwater is a great place to work with fantastic people. Chuck is a wonderful human.

"Great company if the culture & location are a fit for you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Sweetwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely well run company. Expectations are clear. Many talented people on staff. Tremendous commitment to training. Lots of perks, self-contained campus. Real estate extremely affordable.

Cons

Not much room for creativity. Culture is very conservative. Location is a big limitation (Northern Indiana). Upper management not very accessible.

Advice to Management

More transparency. Be more responsive to input from the workforce. Be more innovative with marketing message and brand story. Loosen up a bit.

"Best job of my career"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Sweetwater for 4 years and it really is as incredible as everyone says it is. Chuck has created a culture built around hard work and integrity and it shows in each of the employees. Working there has reshaped my entire career and allowed me to become more successful than I could have ever imagined.

Cons

Commission sales can be difficult in the first six months but if you stick it out and work hard during that time, the rewards down the road can be vast.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing so that we can keep growing this company into the biggest retailer in the music industry!

"One of the best companies in Northeast Indiana"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Sweetwater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place was one of the best places to work, they were so accommodating, worked to make life good. Some nights I never even wanted to leave. Food on campus, games on campus, ability to take gear out for shows. Everyone was extremely approachable, and friendly and genuinely seemed like a good person, because they were. One of the best places to meet new people and gain new experiences in a welcoming environment.

Cons

Sometimes we had to work extremely long hours, but thats just part of working in the real world. I wouldn't trade that for anything. Some days it did feel like real growth was hard, but once again, you get what you give in this life and those who worked harder and put in more hours are definitely rewarded at Sweetwater.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people who embody the company. They absolutely made it worth working there. Don't lose faith in the younger generation, they have new bold ideas and are just looking to make a difference and a change. This is one of the most progressive companies in Northeast Indiana and it was an extreme honor to be able to be a part of The Sweetwater Difference. The team at Sweetwater is driving this growth in Northeast Indiana and it is such an amazing journey to watch.