Sweetwater Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Chuck Surack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company culture here is one of caring, and community (in 5 reviews)

• Fantastic earning potential to cost of living ratio (Fort Wayne, IN) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some days require long hours, but nothing too excessive (in 6 reviews)

• The warehouse does not receive the same perks as the sales engineers and the marketing team (in 5 reviews)

"Senior Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture. Highly compensated sales force. I am not sure where Glassdoor gets it's Salary figures, but there are likely almost 100 individuals in the six figure income category

Cons

I have been here so long that I am hard pressed to think of anything that needs to be addressed. Sales is a dynamic occupation. That is both a pro or a con on any given day.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring qualified individuals that are passionate about the technology aspect of the job, and the sales mechanics. It is still a blast after 26 plus years.

"Sweetwater Is The Real Deal"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Industry Leading Pay, Most Advanced Systems, Truly Inspiring Company Culture From The Top Down

Cons

It is definitely hard work. To be truly successful you need to immerse yourself in the industry and job.

Advice to Management

I've been with the company for a long time now (over 11 years) so maybe my views are a bit skewed, but I honestly think Sweetwater is the best company in the music retail industry and potentially even one of the best run companies of its size in the United States.

There were certainly small things here and there that needed addressed over the years and I'm sure there will be more growing pains as the company continues to grow at a furious pace, but management has time and time again taken the issues employees have to heart and addressed (and corrected) any problems. I have no doubt that they'll continue to do so.

If you're lucky enough to be offered a job at Sweetwater and you're truly passionate about the gear and the music industry I suggest you take it. It's not everyday that you have the opportunity to be part of something truly inspiring.

The only real advice I would have is to implement the ability to work remotely in sales if certain metrics are met and maintained. I understand that this would be difficult to implement, but I think it would be possible to find a balance that would make it feasible and add that final star to the work/life balance on my ratings.

"No Company is perfect, but Sweetwater is as close as they come"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beyond ethical treatment of both employees AND customers... Actually CARING treatment. A constantly innovative approach, and very careful steps for growth have lead to astounding success, and there are assurances in place that the business model that has lead to Sweetwater's success will be in place for many many years to come. This company treats it's employees as family members, in the best sense.

Cons

When you come to work here, be prepared to be pushed to the limits of your abilities constantly. (Not sure if this is a bad thing, but if you are lazy, or prone to trying to game the system, look elsewhere.)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. If there is anything I could say in the way of how the company could improve in MY EYES to help me maximize my performance, I think access to personal assistants should be more easy to access... I think I could make more for myself and the company if I had more consistent help with some of the more time intensive tasks

"Been here a decade, hope to do at least another. (Sales)"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunity, meet industry idols, make dreams come true for others, nearly unlimited earning potential, great company culture, friendly staff and management, tons of fringe perks. It's a pretty dream job... just be realistic that it is a JOB.

Cons

It snows in Fort Wayne....

Advice to Management

Keep on rockin' gents.

"If you are looking for a true career in Music. This is the place."

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company not only offers many opportunities in professional growth, but personal growth as well. Sweetwater has helped me continue on a constructive path to become successful financially and in my personal life as well.

Cons

This job is not easy. It is not for everyone. However, Our HR and management is very upfront about that and you know well in advance at how difficult it is. I do not see this as a downside, but if you are not up for a real challenge, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

You guys are amazing. Keep up the great work :)

"Happy employee"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No micromanaging. I was formally a self employed musician so I wouldn't normally be into an office environment. But here you are given the latitude to make sales and solve problems in the way you feel is best. Very helpful and honest quarterly evaluations. Management a and other SEs give real, helpful improvement tips, not just corporate platitudes. The owner, Chuck Surack, gives back an unbelievable amount to the community.

Cons

From my own experience and having seen ex-SEs experiences, most cons of being a Sales Engineer are the ones created by your own attitude and behavior. You do have to talk with lots of people as you fill the role of customer service. And while most people are cool, it occasionally means having to soothe an upset customer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

7. "Lots of opportunities"

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time

Pros

If one position ends up not being a good fit, the company will help find a position that works. Sweetwater likes to hold on to employees.

Cons

In their attempt to hold on to employees, the company will sometimes keep people around who may be better suited at a more traditional employer.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly environment filled with kind, smart people. There really is a commitment here to take care of the customer above all else, and to do the right thing. Very refreshing to work for a company with a solid moral compass.

Cons

Current healthcare benefits are very poor, executive mgmt sometimes makes rash, emotional decisions without complete information.

"Not paid living wages if you work in warehouse"

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time

Pros

Free DVD rentals
    Free gym
    Free cedar point trip
    Holiday gala

Cons

If you work in warehouse you barely make living wages

Disorganized

No money Christmas bonuses and no incentives

Careless forklift drivers whizzing by

Snotty attitudes but can't blame them if you are compensated well.

10. "Warehouse workers are next to nothing."

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Sweetwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free DVD rentals. A great amenity back in 2008.
    Cedar point trip once a year.
    Discount on food.
     The warehouse is air conditioned, but that's for the benefit for the merchandise. Not the employees.

Cons

Turn over rate is incredibly high. The reason could be 1 of 2 answers:

1. Most people that work in the warehouse are lazy and not hard workers.

Or

2. Realize the common denominator is the company...

No holiday bonus unless you are a white collar worker. Seriously. The owner doesn't think the work the warehouse employees worth any praise but sure as hell does for everyone else.

The pay itself is enough to say it's no the lowest but only so they can say it's not the lowest. You will not be able to live off of what they pay. I worked full time and one my paychecks barely covered my rent.

Do not expect to go home on time. Ever. They have a " you must clock in by 7:59 for you 8:00 shift or you are late" policy. Which is fine. But 3-4 times a week you will be "asked" (required) to stay late. I see the company responds to posts like that saying they ASK you to stay. They "ask" in the same manner as a cop "asking" to see your license when you are pulled over... see what happens if you say no.

70 hour work weeks holiday season. I understand why. There's 10x as many orders to fill and it's warehouse work. But when your White collar co workers get normal hours WITH a bonus it's a huge dip in morale.

Advice to Management

Realize your warehouse and sales floor is 2 sides of the same coin. One is not more important than the other.