Sweetwater Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 31, 2017

5.0
Chuck Surack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I learned a lot and worked with many great people while I was there (in 4 reviews)

• Can purchase gear at company cost (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Some days require long hours, but nothing too excessive (in 6 reviews)

• The warehouse does not receive the same perks as the sales engineers and the marketing team (in 5 reviews)

1. "Work here!"

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time

Pros

extensive training, industry leading customer service, treated like you are valued

Cons

have to have motivation to find work sometimes

Advice to Management

keep it up!

2. "Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Sweetwater for eleven years. I specifically use the word "with," because the relationship to my employer is symbiotic, healthy, and I feel quite strongly that we're all in it together. Having developed a sincere interest in making each customer's experience an exceptional one, I've learned the value of taking ownership of my own perspective. One of the most valuable life lessons I've absorbed up over the course of my career is that of mindset, of my own growth being mine to command. There are few other jobs I've had that could foster a meaningful culture of iron sharpening iron, and I feel quite fortunate to support and be supported by a strong team of people that have become family.

Cons

You are responsible for your success, or your failure. Some people cannot accept this, and it's not for everyone to row their own canoe.

Advice to Management

Continue to make decisions that empower your employees, at every level and tenure. Invest in relationships with the people you employ. Pay administrative staff more.

3. "Best place I've ever worked........and I'm 43 years old!"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best benefits, including our own physician, gym, salon, cafeteria, free DVD rentals, and of course the 2 story slide!

Cons

Honestly, I've never loved my job and I love it here. There are literally no cons to mention!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Awesome Company!"

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are lots of amenities and benefits which can be read about and viewed on the company website. I'll focus this on what is less apparent. Any concerns, issues, questions, or even complaints that I've had have always been met with an open door and honest feedback. That is not to say that every possible wish and whim I've presented has been granted, as that's not what an effective company should do. They listen, they consider, and they carefully act on what they consider to be best for the company at large. This is true of every head of every department I've spoken with.

Speaking strictly about Sales Management, they are always concerned and willing to listen to personal issues and situations, and I can earnestly say that I count several of the managers as personal mentors of mine. While they are very focused on work-related performance, I've always felt comfortable going to them with a problem that has nothing to do with work. Some of my most fulfilling strides in my personal life have stemmed from discussions with managers at work.

This is a career, not a job. If you enter it hoping for this to be a 2-5 year gig, then you're not going to get as much out of it as someone who is in it for the long haul. It takes true commitment and endurance to be successful, and you can't be looking for the exits on your way into it. I consider that to be a pro!

The company culture here is one of caring, and community. I've seen entire departments rally around employees who are experiencing hardship, illness, etc. I've seen the whole company rally around individuals! Even though we're a larger company and it's tougher to know every single coworker, there is still a feeling of genuine community here and it's been evidenced many times in the past.

From top to bottom, in every department, these are some of the most talented, intelligent, unique, and entertaining people I've met in my life.

Cons

These cons are strictly related to Sales, as I have no experience in other departments here.

This can be a stressful job. Of course read above for how rewarding it is! It requires a high level of consistency in productivity, and in attitude. It's not always easy finding the energy or enthusiasm that are really necessary to do a job like this. We are customer facing, and customer focused, so being low energy and having a bad attitude will make for a very frustrating experience. You have to be prepared to put in the work, even when you don't feel like it, and no one here will actually force you to do that. It is all about self-discipline and self-control as it's a very lax environment. In spite of various reviews on this site, there is very little micromanagement. While that sounds like a pro, it also means that you have to manage yourself, and that is challenging. If you like being challenged, then read all of this as a Pro. If you don't, and you need lots of direction and external input, then read all of this as a Con. I have literally never been told to "Get to work." If you need to be, then this is a BIG con. If you don't need to be, then you'll love it.

It's commission based which is both pro and con. Again, self-discipline and self-control are the key here. If you have both of those, being commission based will be a Pro. If you lack them, it will be a Con.

Hours can be long, and work can follow you home. Phone calls and emails don't automatically stop coming in at 6pm or begin at 9am. Our customers will have issues and needs round the clock, and sometimes across the globe. We are not required to work extra hours, but most of us will at some time or another because it's what's needed to get the job done. Again, if you're looking for a job that begins and stops at a specific time, then this is a con. If you're not, then it's a pro.

Advice to Management

Keep being as responsive to your employees as you are. Keep listening and providing feedback, and let the culture continue to evolve as you have.

Sweetwater Response

Jun 19, 2017 – Senior VP of Human Resources

Given the anonymity of Glassdoor I have no idea who wrote this, but I want to thank them for such a candid assessment of the Sales Engineer position. We've said it here many times before on this... More

5. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Sales in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Caring and professional management
    Great perks
    Competitive salary

Cons

Time intensive (the salary makes it worth it)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. "Invested in employees"

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time

Pros

•Management concerned with personal development of employees, not just numbers, but there's also a focus on numbers and performance.
    •Always pushing to maintain small company atmosphere though it's a big company
    •Lots of training and learning opportunities and opportunities to get gear and things
    •Very cool market, fun customers to talk to.
    •Well-organized
    •Earning potential
    •Big company but employees can directly affect company culture
    •I hear other people out in the world talking about how bosses suck in general and I don't feel that here at all

Cons

•Sometimes difficult to keep up with who's in charge of what (rapid growth)
    •Commission sales = tons of opportunity + my inability to plan sometimes = stress when my personal sales are low

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within. Lots of good people in this building.

Also, certain departments have amazing, eleven-out-of-ten work spaces (marketing) with windows and cool mellow lighting and it looks incredible, and other departments have seven-out-of-ten work spaces that are pretty nice (skylights, enough room) but kind of bright fluorescent lights and all that. Can we bring some more vibe to the other departments?

7. "Great place"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Sweetwater (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, awesome campus, tons of benefits, and there is opportunity for growth.

Cons

It is not an easy job! You have to work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

8. "Top Notch"

Former Intern - Video Intern in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Intern - Video Intern in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Sweetwater as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great facility
    Discount gear
    Tons of cool people
    Lots of work perks

Cons

None. Maybe that the food options weren't as diverse as you'd think in such an incredible facility. But it was always delicious.

"Sales Engineer"

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome place to work. Great people and great culture. Lots of friends in the company. Customers comes from all over the world to see the amazing campus. They really walk the walk with customer service...to customers, vendors and fellow employees. It is very inspirational and the best job I ever have had. I will stay forever. Chuck is an amazing leader...not just at Sweetwater, but all over the community. I am proud to work for him. He has a heart and he really cares.

Cons

It is hard work. You have to be willing to dig in and always giver your best. The company motto is to always do the right thing!

Advice to Management

None, great people who are very encouraging. They work really hard to promote from within...and they don't just say it, but they do it.

10. "A Company That Has Morals"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sweetwater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A wonderful management staff that has morals and treats their customers, their vendors, and their employees with the highest level of respect possible. A fantastic experience on campus with concierge service, workout facilities, diner, coffee shop, hair stylist, and employee lounge all located within close proximity of your desk. A family centered job that acknowledges that you sometimes have to put in extra hours so they create intentional time throughout the year for families to be together. Good benefits and advancement opportunity.

Cons

Starting pay for assistants, even though that is offset by how quickly your pay can increase.

Advice to Management

Increase the amount of dedicated training time Sales Assistants get in Sweetwater U.