Swift Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Swift Transportation CEO Jerry C. Moyes
Jerry C. Moyes

Pros
  • Had a good driver manager which makes all the difference (in 19 reviews)

• Good PTO policy, good pay for the job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Strict home time policies that suck (in 27 reviews)

• does not pay u your benefits as told,need to moniter fleet an driver managers (in 17 reviews)

1. "OTR DRIVER"

Former Employee - Driver Class A in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Driver Class A in Ocala, FL

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience the open road, good relationship with driver leader, numerous shippers and receivers, lots of freight, communication with drivers need improving while waiting for response in rest area.

Cons

Recruiter gave false pay cpm info during visit to driving school telling the class that the cpm is .38 all miles when in fact it's a fluctuating scale, Trucks governed at 62, inward facing cameras cause unnecesarily numerous unpaid mileage disruptions (must drive to nearest terminal to view and tell your side), after the load has been delivered on time, truck safety feature noises unnecessarily raises stress level while driving, truck brakes faulsly when it reads a curb wrong (safety hazard), planners did not insure 2000 weekly miles giving the long runs to teams, tuition reimbursement pay shows up on pay stub as a deduction monthly even after calling payroll reminding them I put the full tuition on my personal credit card, I do not owe swift.

Advice to Management

Retain your drivers by taking care of basic needs like proper weekly pay for all work performed including sweeping out trailers, set up an account at truck wash so company trucks are washed monthly, pay drivers to sweep out trailer and put on snow chains. Offer guaranteed pay. Maintenance trailers landing gear often to avoid cranking injuries.

2. "Swft"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paychecks are on time

Cons

There a lot of things that swift promises but don't follow through with.

Advice to Management

Be up front and honest with drivers

"Not a terrible place to start"

Former Employee - Class A CDL Delivery Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Class A CDL Delivery Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Newer Trucks, Nationwide availability, Good Training Opportunity

Cons

Poor Pay, Poor access to stated "offered" benefits, inability to keep dry van drivers occupied constantly, monthly home time

Advice to Management

Provide what you promise, or do not make promises

4. "The goods"

Former Employee - Class A Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Class A Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Swift Transportation (Less than a year)

Pros

Not bad to get cdl experience

Cons

Not enough home time and vacation

"HS Drama"

Current Employee - AR Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - AR Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time

Pros

There are some actual analysts that you can learn from more so then management

Cons

Managers remind me if being in HS. They are a clique so if you go to another manager for help/advice they tell your manager. They have people as managers that are not knowledgeable enough for the position and that are not held accountable for their short comings. Tend to spend more time assisting those they favor. They preach open door policy but then they retaliate when anything is brought to their attention that they don't want to deal with. Spends more time helping their friends in other department. Overwhelm their rockstar employees and give them no true compensation that compares to other employees who continually don't pull their own weight. Given all this they then act so baffled as to why there is such a high turn over rate. Solution clean house of management, get rid of lazy and confrontational analyst and promote from within. Your rockstar analysts belong in management because clearly they are doing what it takes to maximise cash flow.

Advice to Management

If it's too much or not what you envision please do what's best for the company and try another department. This position is not made for everyone. Employ managers with experience in this field or with degrees in accounting and finance. An arts major with no experience does not belong in accounting. Coach management on being respectful to everyone. This is not HS. If your friend at work doesn't like someone its unprofessional to treat them in any negative way because of it especially since you have never personally dealt with them.

6. "Silly me"

Current Contractor - Lease Operator in Shawnee, OK
    Current Contractor - Lease Operator in Shawnee, OK

I have been working at Swift Transportation as a contractor

Pros

At this point and time I don't see any pros at all, they don't care about us, and don't want to help up

Cons

No miles , the Memphis after hours and weekend crew that we all have to deal with is completely incompetent, swift constantly figures outcasts to take your money or keep you held down no matter what

Advice to Management

Hey rid of Memphis for nights and weekends, actually listen to your drivers and their needs while we stay on the road making your company money

7. "OTR Driver"

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Richmond, VA

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provided valuable exerience necessary to get my foot in the door with other companies.
    Good at getting me home on time.

Cons

Too big for their britches and because of this, good drivers end up suffering with no miles.

8. "Good to start out with"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in San Diego, CA

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to see the USA

Cons

Dishonest management. Constantly lies to drivers

Advice to Management

Be more truthful and straight up with drivers. Stop with the deception and turnover might improve. Most people don't quit a job, they quit the management.

"It was good seeing the country but rules and Dualcamera sucks!"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Memphis, TN

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time

Pros

I love my fleet Manager in Memphis Tenn.. driver leader has lack of commuication It was my first job as CDL A driver.. I get to see country that I thought I will never to see.. I get awesome bonus when I did good ranking ...

Cons

Dual Camera is what will RUIN your life and your CDL life. I dont mind camera facing forward out on the road but inside cab is what will ruin your life.. they treat drivers differently.. I know a driver who was fired after 3 minor accidents and 13 voliations on elog.. I was one of the best driver with highest ranking NO accidents I happened to touch phone ( grabbing it before it falls ) and camera shows I touch the phone fired 3 weeks later without any warning..

you can be the best driver on time never fail service THEY DONT CARE they keep eye on every negatives you done and coach you or write you up NEVER pats ur shoulder and say GOOD JOB..

Advice to Management

Remove the dual cameras... CARE for the drivers NOT the loads!!! and LOOK at the postive outcome not only NEGATIVES!!!

10. "OTR"

Former Employee - OTR Driver in New Boston, MI
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in New Boston, MI

Pros

Paid Weekly, Good Equipment, Friendly atmosphere, helpful staff when you have in person contact. Training is adequate and safety in a high priority.

Cons

Rate of pay is LOW. Driver Managers lack communication with driver. Bad directions from Qualcom. Stuck on weekends frequently.

Advice to Management

Better communication with drivers !!! Make them feel like they are important