Swifto Dog Walking Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Penina First

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Walking the Dog for swifto dog walking"

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time

Pros

It was a flexible work schedule

Cons

Walking all those dogs gets old.

Advice to Management

Walk more dogs yourself.

"Unjust behavior"

Former Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great dogs. Cute, and you don't have to see other workers daily.

Cons

They made me sign a contract that would allow them to behave illegally, such as taking away my paycheck if I quit. They had no respect for my time or vacations, and threatened me to get what they wanted. When I went into the interview, I had made plans to go on a one week vacation that I booked before I ever heard back from them. Penina demanded that if I wanted the job, I had to cancel the plane ticket, and she even demanded that I send her proof! On the job, no matter what day it is, they can ask you to come into the office to retrieve keys for changes. You will not be payed for your time in transit, and with this job you can spend a lot of time in transit. I spend up to three hours a day in transit because I agreed to walk dogs that were far away from me. They push you to the limit, and they text and call you on EIGHT different lines, at all times of the night. I had to silence my phone because of the job, because of the non stop texting. They ask you to take on dogs that are too far away and if you get stressed or express frustration, they put the blame on you for agreeing to the walk in the first place, even though at times they literally beg you to take walks. Now, these people generally liked how I interacted with dogs, saying I had many five star reviews. There was no saying in any way that I was a bad employee. On christmas eve, they sent me a text saying that they believed that I was soliciting customers because a certain customer was continuously messaging me, trying to email me and contact me for another job offer in the service industry, and to flirt with me. Swifto threatened a fine of 2000 dollars, even though they had no proof that I was breaking any rules. Even though they had no proof, they demanded I send them all contacts with this person and said they were going to investigate me ON CHRISTMAS EVE. On Christmas Eve, I had an argument with this company because they accused me of something that I did not do and after arguing for hours told me that they hoped I could put this issue behind me, and this made me so angry, that I quit the following week. And do you know what they did? They said that because I had not been employed with the company for three months, they were holding my last paycheck, and fining me somewhere along 500-1000 dollars. They were holding my paycheck as the majority of this fine, and said that they still needed three hundred dollars from me. The nerve! So we asked for them to forward the contract to us so we could have an attorney look at it, and to our un-surprise, they said they'd rather cut me loose, give me my last paycheck, and save themselves the trouble. I can only assume that this is because they knew that taking someone's last paycheck is illegal, and they didn't want trouble. My contract also stated that I was not allowed to walk dogs for two years after quitting. Please, potential employees, save yourself the stress and walk with a dog company that actually cares about your well-being, will respect your time off, and will not accuse and threaten you to get what they want out of you, whether that is a start date or access to all of your texts and emails. Don't let them trick you. Be smart and remember that you deserve respect as an employee! It seemed like they believed they could make more money off of fining me. Everything I wrote here is verifiably true.

Advice to Management

Instead of taking so much time to threaten, discredit, and criminalize your employees, ask what you can do to make sure they feel comfortable and happy in their job.

May 23, 2018 – CEO and Founder

Dear previous employee,
    You’ve worked at Swifto around a year and a half ago, and although it has been a while, we actually remember your situation clearly as we learned a lot from it.

During... More

3. "Good Experience; Some Changes Needed"

Former Employee - Dogwalker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Dogwalker in New York, NY

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the flexibility of being a dogwalker. Given my introverted ways, it was nice to interact with the home office and clients mostly by text, email, and through the app. Friendly, communicative home office. Management seemed to genuinely care about pleasing their clients and growing their company in healthy ways. All of the dogs except for one were super pleasant and friendly. They began offering pre-tax monthly subway passes while I was there, which was appreciated.

Cons

The app had all sorts of problems—crashes, GPS issues, forgetting walks I had done (I had to email the home office to remind them to pay me for walks that had disappeared from my record). This was 2+ years ago so I'm sure they've improved. I also found the pay structure a little strange. You were paid proportionally more for 30 min walks than for 45 min walks or hour-long walks, which made me not want to take on any longer walks. Again, this may have changed since I left.

"Bad Deal"

Former Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

Pros

Be outside, walk dogs.

If it’s true you can freelance or work for other companies while working for Swifto, it would be a good way to get your foot in the door. I’m not sure I believe it though. I do hope future walkers read this and stand up for their right to freelance while also taking Swifto walks.

Cons

They call you an employee, but treat you like an independent contractor. You only get paid for the walks you do, and that can easily fall below minimum wage with travel time.

Walkers may be allowed to pick up their own business, but that is not what I was verbally told. I was told clearly when I was hired you can only take walks through the Swifto app, period, and can not compete with the company. A different policy would have significantly changed my experience with the company.

Changing the terms of walks after they are accepted. For example, if you have a walk in Chinatown, you might have to go all the way to Harlem to pick up a key and then all the way down to Chinatown to walk the dog for half an hour. Total compensation? $12. They won't tell you this until you have committed. They also once lowered the payout for a walk after I accepted.

Not a lot of walks available.

They won't optimize for your schedule or convenience. This lowers your compensation per time invested. You can’t give yourself a good schedule because there are so few walks available. You wait months for the opportunity to take on a new walk. I would have loved to sign myself up for a good, compact schedule, but I would have been waiting literally ten years.

You'd be be better off working at Duane Reade.

Jan 31, 2018 – CEO and Founder

Dear Previous Dog Walker,
    It looks like you have modified your review, so I'll respond once again.

No, as explained to you upon getting hired, if you work for Swifto, you can't be doing dog... More

"Swifto is fine."

Current Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dogs are great
    Office is great
    Very relaxing fun job
    Nice people
    Customers are friendly and care about you!
    Overall fine

Cons

Not hourly
    Long hours, not really making money
    Customers don’t tip
    16 hours away from traveling and only getting like 90 dollars for the day, should pay for travel time and maybe some sort of meal plans

Advice to Management

Organization
    Pay more lol

Jan 11, 2018 – CEO and Founder

We actually just implemented a raise policy, so that every 400 dog walks the walkers too they get a raise!

6. "Pretty Good Company, Some Improvements Needed"

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Ability to customize your own schedule and work as much as you want
    -Easy to stay in touch with the office staff (can email, text, call, or visit)
    -Most of the office staff is extremely friendly
    -$50 bonuses for client referrals
    -Can form strong relationships with clients (and the dogs) if you chose to have a regular schedule
    -App makes keeping track of everything easy and lets client know you're actually doing your job
    -Paid meet and greets with dog and client if client requests one
    -Clients tend to be quite generous with tips during the holiday season
    -Get to hang out with dogs all day!

Cons

-Private dog walks = fewer dogs within any given time frame, which of course means less money
    -Depending on your area, walks may be very spread out and you aren't paid by the hour
    -Sometimes have to make trips to the office to pick up/drop off keys, which you also aren't paid for
    -Only get the $50 bonus if the new client actually uses your promo code number or remembers to mention your name
    -Don't expect regular tips from your clients; most only tip around the holidays
    -No paid vacation days or holiday pay
    -No raises, regardless of how long you've been working there

Advice to Management

Would be nice if walkers were rewarded with raises after a certain amount of time. At a different dog walking company I know, walkers are given raises after 6 months of good work. This is a nice incentive for walkers to keep up the good work and it would reduce walker turnover. Also paid vacation would be nice, even if it were only a week! The other dog walking company offers two weeks paid vacation per year and we get zero. Also, we receive less than half of what the walk costs the client, which makes it feel as though management doesn't really care about us even though we are literally the lifeblood of the company. So basically, management, PLEASE make your pay more competitive to show that you appreciate your walkers and all their hard work.

"Service Coordinator"

I worked at Swifto Dog Walking full-time

Pros

The people that you work with in the building are so nice.

Cons

The good reviews on here are fake. Be prepared to never receive a pay increase even after you've spent years helping to build the company. She slashed employee salaries in order to save the company money. They are the most expensive dog walking company in the city and they didn't give their dogwalkers higher compensation when the prices were raised. Also, do not have a perspective job call Penina for a reference. She will badmouth you even though that is against the law.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect and fairness.

Jan 27, 2017 – CEO and Founder

Dear Previous employee,
    The job as a service coordinator is not for everyone. It requires both strong interpersonal skills and analytical skills to exceed at this job. It also requires a high level... More

"it’s nice working in a fun young environment"

Current Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Both the management and the clients have always been super friendly to me, which is so nice considering the other bosses I’ve had previously at my other jobs. I love the dogs, and I love the transparency that we give our clients so they don’t have to worry that their dog is indeed being walked.

Cons

This simple job is becoming my passion and hobby.

9. "You can really earn as much as you want..."

Current Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

I have been working at Swifto Dog Walking full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at other dog walking companies beforehand, and there was never enough work to go around. At Swifto it’s the opposite, there are so many dog walks available, that it’s nice to know that if I want to I can work harder and thus earn more money. Every dog I walked has always been friendly and I absolutely fell in love with each of my dogs. I’m doing a PHD now, and it’s nice to earn some money on the side, while spending time with dogs.

Cons

I know this job has no big scope and career inclination but i am happy with it as I love walking with dogs.

"Flexibility is Key"

Current Employee - Dog Walker in New York, NY

Pros

I love the fact that I get to set my own schedule, I’m a writer and need some additional time to think and write, so this job is perfect for me. I have 5 regular dogs that I walk every day, and I love them with all my heart. Sometimes I feel as if they’re my own, and I can’t see my life without them.

Cons

Although it is not a career oriented job but as a writer it gives me relaxation and thinking time.

Advice to Management

keep it up the good work.