Swiftype Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 9, 2017

4.2
Matt Riley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fast-paced learning experience"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Swiftype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love how transparent and meritocratic Swiftype is. The environment is conducive to getting important work done and attracts very high-performing people.

Opportunities to learn and move up - Swiftype recently launched a new enterprise search product and the marketing team is very busy spreading the word about this product. We are all getting to contribute in a big way to these efforts. Additionally, Google recently announced that they are sunsetting their site search product, so our site search business is booming and we’re finding ways to fuel the fire. Things move quickly at Swiftype which creates lots of opportunities for employees to grow and take on bigger roles.

Great people - Swiftype is full of smart and interesting people who genuinely care about your well-being. When I joined the company, they went out of their way to welcome me in which really had a positive impact on me. Our team works hard and stays incredibly focused but also knows how to have a good time.

Technology-driven - Swiftype has built some amazing search technology and the engineers behind it are a pleasure to work with. In general, building search technology requires a high level of technical competency, so we have some of the best engineers in San Francisco.

Nice office and benefits - Finally, the office set up is great. Swiftype’s office is located in the SOMA area of SF surrounded by lots of high-growth startups and well-known companies (many of them are our customers). They cater breakfast and lunch from Zesty and have all the free snacks and drinks you could want.

Cons

Since things move so quickly at Swiftype, you will not have people constantly telling what you need to be working on and how to do it. You will often have to figure out problems on your own and decide the best course of action to push an initiative forward. This might be uncomfortable to some folks but most employees at Swiftype thrive under these conditions.

Advice to Management

Keep cultivating the positive culture that exists at Swiftype. It’s awesome that we’re able to consistently do great work in a laid back office atmosphere. Stay focused on remaining the best search as a service company and keep building easy-to-use products that leverage your unique technology.

2. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Swiftype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The most important thing to me as a sales rep is to believe in what I'm selling. This is the case at Swiftype. The product is incredible and gets me genuinely excited. Swiftype's search technology solves a real need, in an easy way.

The people are awesome. Everyone is extremely bright, but also very fun to work with. This has definitely been the best group of people I've worked with.

If you're looking to advance your career, this is the place. In the short time I've been here, I've seen numerous promotions. Hard work is always rewarded at Swiftype.

Oh, and we also get catered breakfast and lunch everyday.

Cons

As with any growing start up, there are a lot of changes, the pace is very fast and resources can be scarce.

I prefer this environment, but it might be overwhelming to some.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing! The culture is incredible at Swiftype, make sure it stays this way as we grow.

3. "Toxic Work Environment"

I have been working at Swiftype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free lunch/snacks
    nice office
    great Engineering team

Cons

-Management is horrible, they are way in over their head and have no idea how to run a successful company
    -ZERO transparency
    -Management does not listen to any feedback employees give them
    -Promotions are based on favoritism
    -Toxic work environment
    -Their competitor (Algolia) is taking over the Market

Advice to Management

Hire a new management team. The people you promoted to run Swiftype have no idea what they are doing .

4. "Dynamic Challenges, Opportunities for Professional Growth, Camaraderie, LaCroix"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Swiftype (More than a year)

Pros

Some of my favorite things I've experienced working for Swiftype...

• The opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent and thoughtful individuals in the field (across the board from engineering, to design, to marketing, to sales, and the accounting/admin teams).

• The work itself doesn't stagnate. Search is an ever evolving landscape that regularly provides interesting and complex challenges to consider. Creating a product that it not only technically advanced and flexible, while also able to be distilled and accessible to non-tech teams is an undertaking. I've found it to be a really engaging and rewarding process.

• Contributions will likely be noticed and recognized by management and colleagues. There's a strong team culture & hard work is rewarded.

• The co-founders are not only accessible to discuss any thoughts, ideas, and concerns, but are willing to communicate openly and honestly with no smoke or spin.

• Flexible schedule and reasonable core hours. We all roll in relative to the time sensitivity of our daily duties, but when we're in the office we're there to get the job done.

• Sparkling water and A+ java flows freely. Yes, there are even catered lunches most days of the week.

Cons

There are the standard growing pains of transitioning from a small to a mid-sized company. If you're one who needs to come into a position with firmly established processes already in place, you might feel discouraged. However, if you're keen on having a stake in defining and optimizing what those departmental processes can be, there is much opportunity to be had amid discerning colleagues.

Benefits packages are generous, but conservative in comparison to some other Bay area start-ups. Though they are improving in tandem with the growth of the company.

Management is at times spread rather thin, and because of this there's a greater chance for short term objectives to get lost in the shuffle if you're not proactively advocating for them. There's room for us all to improve and get better at "working smarter". The upside is that the management team is accessible and open to feedback.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Keep listening. Keep communicating. Let's bring back the hackathons and enable all departments to bring something to the table.

"Laughably Incompetent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

They provide lunch everyday. You barely have to work, doing the bare minimum is the norm. You can easily separate yourself from others if you are an A player because they have none.

Cons

Miserable company culture and such a toxic work environment. No transparency from leadership in any capacity, especially around company challenges. VP's are in way over their head, have no real experience building a start up and are very disconnected and uninterested in helping their employees grow. I genuinely feel bad for any employee who has accepts an offer at Swiftype, run for your life, there are so many better opportunities in SF.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to Google, you guys have no idea what you are doing.

"If you want something new, you have to stop doing something old!"

Current Employee - Sales Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Swiftype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture means everything to us. There are several companies that claim to value culture, but we hire by it. I have worked for several startups and I've yet to meet two co-founders that are as involved and caring as Matt and Quin are. It's truly inspiring to work in an environment where fun is encouraged, innovation happens daily, and action is taken to grow the company progressively, but not suddenly. If you're someone who values friendship with your colleagues and also enjoys being challenged daily, then Swiftype is the right place for you.

Cons

Every company experiences growing pains and we have a couple kinks to work through here and there, but we're getting closer and closer every single day. I've been at companies where growing pains are a known issue, but not addressed with employees. At Swiftype, any issues are addressed head on and the company will do everything in their power to keep employees happy. We communicate issues here. We don't ignore them.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Stay closely involved in all business matters and we will continue to succeed as we have thus far.

"AE"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Oppty for Growth
    -Culture that Walks the Walk
    -Fair & Effective Leadership
    -Stellar Product/ Customers
    -Catered Breakfast/Lunch

Cons

-Semi-Technical Product (Not a con, but worth noting)

Advice to Management

More SwiftSWAG!

"Site search is heating up"

I have been working at Swiftype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very developer-friendly company (two technical founders), and starting to place a strong emphasis on sales (just hired a VP). Also takes pride in being the "best designed" product on the site search market (it's true).

Cons

The physical space is a little Office Space corporate and the dominant sound in the office is the sound of typing on a keyboard.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Swiftype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent co-workers, interesting problems to solve on a daily basis. Leadership is very approachable and transparent about the state and future of the company. Great location near the Transbay Terminal. Good perks.

Cons

As the team grows, we're starting to outgrow our current space.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I love coming to work here everyday.

10. "One of the best places I've worked at in the past 15 years"

Current Employee - Head of Technical Operations in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Head of Technical Operations in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Swiftype full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working remotely with the company for many years, left (for personal reasons not related to the company) for a year, then came back.

Out of my past 15+ years of experience working in the industry, Swiftype has been my far the most enjoyable place of work. A great culture, very friendly team, interesting challenges, lots of opportunities for growth within the team.

Cons

Typical growing pains for a small company, you will need to be independent and be ready to work on what is important for the business even if it does not align with your idea of a perfect project/task/challenge. But it is gratifying at the end since your potential impact within the company is very significant and you get to grow with the company.

Advice to Management

Just keep pushing forward!