Swim N Sport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark T Sidle

Pros
  • They have a bonus program for all sales associates including managers and part-time sales associates if certain terms are met (in 4 reviews)

• You never have to work a Sunday as a store manager (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • NO work/life balance its all work you can't take 2 days off in a row and no weekends off (in 4 reviews)

• No room for promotions, especially when there are only two stores in Colorado (in 5 reviews)

1. "Key Holder-"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Miami, FL

I have been working at Swim N Sport part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok listen up. I work part time. Pay for my own school and i have been here three years. Why would I write a review? Well one of these bad reviews is from my old coworker who got fired for sitting in the backroom talking to to her her man on three shifts. They caught her three times and then she got fired and wanted to write a bad review because she is not happy she got fired. Dude u called me twice to brag how this bad review would make everyone mad . Sorry that isn't cool. Here is the truth . you gotta sell you gotta check in shipment and yeah you gotta sell rinse . No way does IT GETS ANY EASIER THAN THIS JOB. Dude they even give you a 100 for a secret shop. I only have had one 100 but hey its a 100 dollars. My boss has been here forever and when she fired my ex coworker she was sad. She is pretty cool and even buys us lunch snacks and last week surprised us with gift cards . The hardest thing in this job is nothing. Clean sell and check in shipment oh yeah you gotta sell. DUH.

Cons

Who really like to work very night? I mostly work nights and every weekend. Dress code. No sandals or nose rings. WHY?

Advice to Management

Think about changing the dress code it is swimwear.

2. "Area Manager"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Swim N Sport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Help women with finding the perfect suit.

Cons

No support form corporate. Overworked and Underpaid. Which leads to having a hard time staffing stores.

Advice to Management

Offer competitive pay.

"Worst Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Swim N Sport (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job & paid my bills, other than that there are none.

Cons

Run away from this job, all it is good for is to pay your bills. Always being put down because your #'s are not up to their standards. Standards that NO store makes. Worked there as a store manager for almost 3 years NEVER saw a P& L. Even the regional has no clue what is going on in their stores. If you get 3 customers a day that is a good day. Always the threat of a secret shop, which were as bogus as they come. Gotta remember those 21 steps & shove stuff in the dressing rooms at customers & are you sure you don't need a hat with that.

Advice to Management

Treat you employees like people. People have lives & sometimes can not drop their lives because of your companies short coming.

"Abandon all hope you who enter here"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Destin, FL

Pros

Lots of down time. Good quality suits and room for creativity. I had plenty of time to read and ponder the mysteries of life.

Cons

Dear god where to begin? When my store was at full staff I was only allotted 25 hours at max. That is not enough to even pay my bills let alone afford food without the benefit of a second job. Towards the end, I was working 10-13 hour days seven days a week but if there was even a hint of my being over 40 it was the end of the world, for all of the drama corporate made. This company sucked my soul from me. They use their employees until there is nothing left to squeeze out of them and even then they do not stop.
    The company is cheap. When something breaks they just replace it with a refurbished item that is little to no better then the broken items. My store's AC was broken for a month during August before they even considered replacing the units. They pay the bare minimum with the promise of bonus when stores make their monthly plan. 1% of your total sales paid out 30-45 days after the month is over. Your never told that those monthly goals are near impossible to reach.
    The demand placed upon the store staff is ridiculous for what they are paid. Since retail employees are a dime a dozen that is how you are treated. You don't make your goals, you don't have the perfect sale, don't sell enough rinse you get reprimanded. Corporate doesn't seem to understand that in the real world you can't sell to people who don't come into the store and those that do shop don't want to be pressured and forced into buy items they neither want or like.
    I spent five years of my life in this store with no room to grow, no raise or any incentive to be loyal to the company.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people. Stop pinching pennies and lighten up.

"I got what I needed and left."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Swim N Sport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful swimwear and a great location. I was about to be laid off and I needed a job. For the most part, I was a very easy (but boring) job.

Cons

Yikes! The other reviews are basically right on the money. No room to advance. Creepy corporate structure . No weekends off for most of the summer. Very high monthly goals. No sales ever... And you can get most of the swim wear at department stores for much less money.

Advice to Management

As I mentioned earlier, I was about to be laid off. Swim n sport offered me a job . It was fine for the nine months I was there, but due to all the cons I mentioned above, I never could have stayed long term.

Relax with the blackout periods. If the store has coverage, what's wrong with a weekend off every once in awhile? Stop denying people days off for weddings, graduations, etc. Give raises. Show some appreciation for your employees every now and again.

6. "Key Holder"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Swim N Sport part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not as much work to do depending on your manager.

Cons

the company is very cheap and the pay rate is not worth working there. You don't get any raise and they do not care about there employees. The owners themselves aren't nice at all

Advice to Management

I wouldn't advice no one to work for this company at all

"Corporate doesn't follow through"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sarasota, FL

Pros

Not many - they say there is a bonus program but it isn't structured for all stores

Cons

Don't trust Corporate they are always changing their mind! NO work/life balance its all work you can't take 2 days off in a row and no weekends off. they are the blackout dates

Advice to Management

Great real life expectancy! and Value your employees and maybe yours turn over rate wouldn't be so high!!

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Part Time Key Holder in Destin, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Key Holder in Destin, FL

I have been working at Swim N Sport part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fair management, easiest retail job ever, I like me fellow employees, finally have a boss with a good attitude, and overall pretty chill.

Cons

Have to work all weekends, kinda sucks that my manager can have sundays off and I can't, working many nights kind of sucks because I have a lot of workload from college classes.

Advice to Management

Manager should work the same amount of time as employees do, would like some more rapport with my district manager.

"Poorly Managed"

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Most employees were very hard working for the compensation. Good product line with quality products.

Cons

Compensation for amount of work is very unfair. No life balance. Unrealistic sales goals. Employees asked to give far more than compensation awards them for.

Advice to Management

Go out of business.

10. "Terrible"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Swim N Sport part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros. If this is only job take it but keep looking. It's instant termination if you are caught sitting. And in the mid west there isn't a lot of business, lots of downtime

Cons

Can't sit down at all, no breaks, only up to 25 hours max, no break room, just small room w lots of crap and a toilet

Advice to Management

Loosen up, if store is not doing well come in person to trouble shoot not YELL at managers to "fix it"