KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 209 of over 243 reviews

4.1
Swinerton Builders CEO Jeffrey Hoopes
Jeffrey Hoopes
Pros
  • "Great company and employee owned(in 24 reviews)

• "Great people and company to work for(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There’s a horrible work life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "Sometimes long hours which is expected in the industry(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Swinerton Builders and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Top company

Jul 29, 2021 - Construction Superintendent in Sacramento, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment , great people to work with. There top 10 companies to work for

Cons

Travel to the Bay Area, not too many con to discuss.swinerton is a great company to work for

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

An expensive mistake, please don't waste your time.

Aug 1, 2021 - Project Engineer in Sacramento, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

401k matching PTO Free tickets to local sporting events via regular raffles

Cons

Arrogant and incompetent middle managers plague this place. Equally dubious field superintendents (a certain few, and not as common as above). Nepotism. Little to no work-life balance. Compensation on the low side compared to peer or bigger competitors in the area.

Continue reading
      2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work!

Jul 21, 2021 - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work culture and environment is great. Swinerton focuses on hiring the right people to fit their culture. Career growth and opportunities are great as the company prefers to promote from within.

Cons

- Long work hours and work/life balance though that is typical in the industry and not specific to Swinerton. - Swinerton uses their employee ownership program as an excuse to pay lower base salaries.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great Company

Jul 22, 2021 - Assistant Superintendent in Sacramento, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of vertical movement if you are good at your job. -Employee owned

Cons

There are no large cons. Just typical politics like every large company.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Horrible management and offensive language

Jul 12, 2021 - Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- easy to meet with upper management - some people are friendly

Cons

I had a horrible time with immature management which lacked communication. I also often witnessed violence and inappropriate language on jobsites from superintendents. The company lies about being diverse and inclusive. During the election period, a subcontractor said, with a serious tone during a meeting that he was going to bring a gun to the worksite to shoot off protesters if a certain person did not win. My Super acted like there was nothing wrong and proceeded to laugh. I often felt unsafe on the job site. - communication is not the best - clients are often lied to about timelines and deliverables - not diverse or inclusive - offensive language is often used - pay is not great - processes are not streamlined. Deliverables change with every project

Training & Development Specialist

We regret that you experienced these situations – what you describe is not in keeping with our Core Values. We are committed to a safe and comfortable working environment for all – and we also recognize that there will always be room for improvement. As a part of continuously improving our organization we offer our employees several avenues for sharing their concerns and questions, including a confidential reporting hotline. It’s disappointing that we were not able to assist in resolving these issues during your time with Swinerton, your feedback is valued and will help us to be an even better place to work.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great culture of employee ownership

Jun 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Swinerton is an employee owned company. Profits go directly to the employee owners.

Cons

If you are looking for a high salary this is not the place for you. Swinerton is a company where building wealth in company stock and a long term commitment is key to success.

Training & Development Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Our culture and employee ownership are things that set us apart and we are glad you see value in them. When it comes to salary, we work hard to stay competitive and encourage you to bring concerns you may have about this to your manager. We appreciate everything you do for us and thanks for being at Swinerton!

7. 1.0
      Former Employee

Awful team

Jul 24, 2021 - Journeyman Carpenter in Baldwin Park, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are good ppl who truly care to help one another.

Cons

Bad superintendent that does not know how to treat/talk to ppl, no team work every one is trying to mess one another, superintendent talks down on his own team, superintendent brings down hard workers to bring in his own worthless friends/family

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company, Bad Position

Jul 12, 2021 - Project Engineer in Honolulu, HI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits Friendly people Extensive training Provided laptop, ipad, and work phone Safety First

Cons

The position I held required long working hours with no overtime. Hard to balance work and life. It also required a ton of driving with personal car and no compensation for gas or maintenance.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Better options

Jul 11, 2021 - Construction Superintendent in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exposure to high profile projects.

Cons

Horrible company culture. Poor work life balance. Old school big egos with conflicting agenda infighting. Major communication breakdowns.

Continue reading
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent Company

Jun 16, 2021 - Chief Estimator in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and continued training with room for advancement.

Cons

Don't know of any cons that would keep me from working here.

Training & Development Specialist

We agree with your comment about a great culture here at Swinerton! Paving the path to career growth and development is something we strive for, for all employees.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 209 Reviews