Swissport Reviews | Glassdoor

Swissport Reviews

Updated July 25, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people who work there makes the job easier (in 16 reviews)

• Something different everyday no day is ever the same meeting new people working as a team (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Subcontracting not so good job low pay (in 37 reviews)

• No benefits, upper management did a poor job at managing their employees (in 36 reviews)

"Ramp agent"

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Miami, FL

I have been working at Swissport part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work nice place good people some

Cons

Hard to make hours have to beg

Advice to Management

Good people

2. "I need to have a job where people follows rules"

Former Employee - Cabin Cleaner
    Former Employee - Cabin Cleaner

I worked at Swissport part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is true, it is cool to be there when "worlds big birds" coming, means being Cabin Cleaner at Swissport, you actually be there when for example Boeing 747 British Airways etc. coming to gate and stop engines. They are so huge to look and (listen) and yes, and you actually go inside of them too. And yes, you see all worlds Pilots and crews because this company handles all international flights.

Cons

I started as a Cabin Cleaner and just followed all training and rules what was given how to do the job. This was my second airport job, so I knew, there is badge rules and all kind of airport related specialties. Company gave one week training in office environment but you do not really don't know, how your job actually is basing on training. In first day, I wondered with my school buddies, we have to drive this little tractor but nobody uses a seatbelt. I saw it odd, I started using even I saw others did not. But there was other unacceptable things like cleaners using dirty towels (used napkins from airliners) for cleaning trays, mops was never cleaned or they was rinsed with hot or even cold water in eyecleaning station (airport design do not give running water or drains). During my first year, I tried not to complain, but after their cleaning liquid bottles was filled by water, I got enough. This not right and not legal either. I was asked by current supervisor if I can be supervisor... and I told, if you want me to be supervisor, we need to start using seatbelts, proper chemicals and cleaning tools.... I knew, there was people who worked more than 10 years there, they do not change their habits... Company changed how to apply for Supervisor, I applied and they hired a guy who ever cleaned a mop properly, or ever used seatbelt or ever cared, are tools cleaned after they used. They kept posting Lead positions and I kept applying, but they never choosed me. In my last full work week, I saw one co-worker did not do security at all (part of cleaners job) and I reported and tried to ask this new employee's airport badge to see her name... and she run away.... I did not even touch her badge, but my supervisor came same time and called "you assault her"! We have mandatory "must challence" rule, means everybody have to show their badge for everybody when asked (in secured site) but my supervisor yelled me about assaulting this new employee and he suspended and ended my employment. I still fighting about issue, but I feel, environment what is so regulated with rules......... this should ever happen!

Advice to Management

I ended up to communicate managers all levels and I realized, middle management ever show up in our work environment. They asked signatures for example "you have to use seatbelts" but nothing happened, if you don't. 95% driving without and they signed the paper. Managers needs to be there physically and look how things are done, not only pressure lower management telling what to do. They seems to be afraid following own and federal rules. There is also odd reason, basing on night time mess in breakrooms, I think "bad guys from sky" coming to ruling these people, because even all doors are controlled, those who fly there, may just walk in to our work environment. Co-workers never told, who actually made that mess. I know, employees feels, it is not necessary to use seatbelts, when speed is so low and distances short, but I think, skipping this rule just mirrors that fact, what other rules are not followed, because there was so many little rules what nobody cares to follow, even I complained to supervisor and manager.

3. "BEWARE!!!!!"

Former Employee - Cargo Office Agent in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Cargo Office Agent in Newark, NJ

I worked at Swissport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hire basically anyone with or without job experience.
    Good for first job experience and getting your feet wet.

Cons

1. Very Unprofessional.
    2. Favoritism.
    3. No Employee appreciation.
    4. Too much job duties for the amount of pay.

Advice to Management

1. Professionalism is the key for a great work environment.
    2. Treat employees with respect and dignity
    3. Show more appreciation to employees

4. "Passenger Service Agent"

Former Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Miami, FL

Pros

Nice Managers especially the Passenger Service Manager

Cons

Favoritism, no opportunity to grow

Advice to Management

There is no advice to give.

5. "Disappointing"

I worked at Swissport full-time

Pros

You get to work for an airline. You can meet flight attendants and actual airline personnel, build relationships with them, and they'll offer to put in a good word for you if you decide to go in flight or apply for the actual airline in a different city.

Cons

You will be responsible for working multiple areas of the airline operation (ticket counter, gate, baggage service) and be paid much less than those employees of an ACTUAL airline station (that is not contracted) who are not expected to work several areas of the operation. For the most part, Employees are treated like crap.

There's VERY LITTLE room to move up in the company. Maybe a "lead position" here or there when the other leads step down because they realize the extra responsibility and drama isn't worth the miniscule 50 cent raise they get.

If you want to work for the actual airline, you can't "transfer" to a different city where the station is not contracted. You will need to apply externally just like anybody else off the street. Sure, you have experience, but that doesn't mean you don't have priority, because you can't apply internally.

6. "Nothing good to say here"

I worked at Swissport full-time

Pros

Coworkers and the opportunity to meet people from all over the world

Cons

Pay, Management, Company Moral, Terrible Benefits

7. "Swissport- Boston"

Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Swissport part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monthly Charlie Card weekly paycheck

Cons

Incompetent management,
    Rude Customers (Airlines)
    Spineless Supervisors/Lead (depending on what account you work for)
    Not enough money to survive on
    No room for career progression
    Have to suck up to progress
    No room to have a fulfilling personal life

Advice to Management

Get rid of people who have no idea what they're doing especially in duty manager positions...

8. "Cleaner"

I have been working at Swissport part-time

Pros

The team work is ok

Cons

No enough hours for a par time

9. "Check in"

I worked at Swissport full-time

Pros

Steady pay, consistently open. Good management

Cons

Issues with upward mobility. Hard to get in contact sometimes.

Advice to Management

No real advice necessary. Too large.

10. "Passenger Service Agent"

Former Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Passenger Service Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Swissport part-time (More than a year)

Pros

health insurance, overtime, pay, management

Cons

parking, schedule, lack of adequate training