Switchfly Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Switchfly CEO Daniel Farrar
Daniel Farrar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good people, decent bennies"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People work hard and have fun, very few jerks, reasonable expectations, a good product for it's space, hard-working sales team, dev managers are excellent

Cons

As a dev, travel space is not very interesting.

"Great place to be!"

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

This company is pretty great. I know I get paid well and from what I hear from others, the compensation is awesome. Most of the people who work in the office are friendly and often grab lunch together when there is not a company lunch. The benefits are amazing. There are tons of perks around the office, a (small) in office gym, two kitchens filled with tons of food and drink, plenty of open space if you need a break from your desk, ping pong room, free company lunch every Wednesday and access to the building roof that has a track, small driving range and tons of tables to eat lunch at on a nice day. The overall company feel is pretty laid back, most people arrive mid morning and dress pretty casually.

Cons

The biggest con at this company is people who are unhappy and continue to stay. There are plenty of us who love coming to work at Switchfly everyday. Instead of bashing the company find a better fit for yourself. I think people forget how great of place this is to work.

Advice to Management

Management needs to make sure their team is being heard and problems are settled sooner than later.

"Best place I've worked!"

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

-Healthy, positive, fun work environment
    -The opportunity to work with smart, friendly and experienced people every day
    -Clear, consistent and transparent communication from the top down, regarding company direction and goals (monthly company-wide meetings are very insightful)
    -Great offices in downtown SF
    -Many employee perks which include free food, coffee, drinks; weekly free lunches; fun quarterly company outings, free weekly yoga sessions, ping pong room, weight room, company sponsored external sporting events, monthly movie nights and birthday celebrations
    -"Family & health first" mentality which supports flexibility within the work schedule
    -Work / life balance highly encouraged
    -Open door policy has been established across all tiers of the organization
    -Experienced and driven leadership team

Cons

-Negative employees (just a few!) who find the negative in every little thing and complain about it, rather than finding a job / workplace that better suits them

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Appreciate what you do every day as leaders!

"Innovative and Rewarding"

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth, leadership, clear strategy, collaboration, ownership, professional development. What you are working on matters to the company and is publicly appreciated. Great work/life balance as well. I love working at Switchfly and am happy and thankful that I work here.

Cons

Based on some of the negative reviews I've read below, the only con is that there seem to be a couple employees who are spending 40 hours a week at a job they don't like anymore. Life it too short for that, if you ask me.

"Exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Great people - We have very sharp, interesting, and fun people that you can learn from as you work.

Challenging domain - the travel domain is surprisingly complicated and one is constantly challenged to satisfy business requirements in a clean and elegant way.

Methodologies to support quality code - Pair programming, unit testing, automated integration testing, agile development.

Rapid growth - we are growing fast so there are lots of opportunities in various areas of the company

interesting technology - We are using cutting edge technology in our web tier (ember) based with a more traditional back end (java/spring). Our platform has been evolving rapidly and there is a lot of room for a sharp person to help shape the future.

Benefits - Pay scale and benefits are excellent. Attending conferences is supported.

Activities - The company sponsors (and pays for) many periodic fun activities (Giants games, ski trips, bicycle events, triathlon, yoga, movie nights) . There is a ping pong table with periodic tournaments. The company caters lunch once a week. There is a great selection of drinks and snacks in the kitchen.

Remote work - We have technology in place that allows senior people to work remotely with great success.

Cons

Rapid growth - We are growing fast, so there are a number of challenges related to that. A new person may feel a bit overwhelmed by a large, complicated application and domain. Our training is evolving and will continue to do so. Training is supplemented by easy access to senior people. It often means that the burden is on the employee to seek out a senior person and ask questions.

Legacy platform - Our platform is evolving, but we have a number of legacy patterns in our code that can make learning the current best practices harder to discern.

Complicated application - Our application is big, complex, and highly configurable. It is hard to learn.

Advice to Management

Invest more in training, documentation.

"Best place to work where you are treated as a person not a number"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything is best here. It is unfortunate to see bad reviews for the company. Some of the reviews about the CEO are just wrong. CEO is always engaged in what's going on in the company and a very nice to person. He's always open to hear from people. It is an act of a coward to speak behind one's back for no reason. I am 100% satisfied with the company and would definitely recommend for anyone who wants to work in a very healthy environment with focus on work rather than dirty politics.

-Nice people
    -Free lunches every wednesday
    -Happy hours
    -Kitchen full of snacks
    -Work life balance

Cons

Every company has pros and cons. It's up to you to understand the company culture and you are always free to find an opportunity that suits best to you.
    - None for me as of now.

Advice to Management

Always try to get feedback from people working for you. It does not hurt at all to hear truth and act on it.
    Just do right things and you are the winner.

"Great Company, only those who want a challenge and are willing to work hard need apply!"

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company benefits such as parties/events, stocked kitchen, good compensation. Challenging application keeps you on your toes everyday. CEO wants everyone to be happy and have a good time when possible.

Cons

Some employees have poor attitudes or don't contribute as they should which ultimately brings the company down. They need to leave or be asked to leave.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees with positive attitudes. Hold people accountable for their actions. Work on structure and provide more incentives to those who contribute most.

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Fortune 500 clients, lots of opportunity for growth, fantastic people, work life balance, lots of good changes over the last few months.

Cons

not much so far. i'm excited about the direction that the company is going both from a internal as well as product stand point.

Advice to Management

keep it up!

"Software Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Switchfly (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience working as an Engineering Intern at Switchfly!!! Its really a very good company to work for..

Cons

I can't really think of even a single con..

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you have concerns or questions, the CEO invites you to come into his office to talk one-on-one. His positive energy and enthusiasm for creating a cohesive culture starts from the top and I applaud Daniel for always giving 200%. There are a lot of really smart people at Switchfly and I have yet to experience "I am the smartest person in the room" mentality that you see at other tech firms. Quite frankly, it is refreshing. I give Switchfly double thumbs up. A great place to work primarily because of the awesome people and a very healthy work/life balance.

Cons

A lot of people work offsite and offshore so office isn't as bustling as it could be.