Switchgear Search and Recruiting Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Liz Brolick
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "This job is for the best! Trust me! I’ve been here for over 4 years!"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Switchgear Search and Recruiting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Where do I begin? Switchgear has a beautiful office space. We eat cake when we we get the opportunity to celebrate a success! We are a family and are always there for one another! We are unpredictable and you never know what shenanigans we are up to! We aren’t afraid to admit we don’t know everything and are always open to learning. Switchgear is a small company who has made mistakes but does learn from them. (Large companies make mistakes as well you just don’t get an opportunity to see them on the front row like you do in a small organization.) You get to see how a business operates from the bottomall the way up! You will be challenged far beyond than what you expected to be, trust me! You get to choose how successful you want to be here and ther are no limits! You voice is heard even though the decision made may not be exactly what you wanted. Management does listen and cares about every single employee.

Cons

If you are someone who is afraid of growing and being challenged then this isn’t the place for you. Changes are bound to happen in a small company as they grow so be adaptable. The changes made are in the best interest for the employees and the company.

Advice to Management

Continue growing, learning, and challenging us to do better! There are been bumps in the road but we have learned and persevered. Make sure things are communicated clearly and hold people accountable. You are doing a great job!

"Former Employee Review"

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Switchgear Search and Recruiting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Switchgear has a great office space and is a female run organization... which I loved! You really have control over your own business and can decide which companies you want to call on and how much work you want to put in. When I worked there, I really was treated like family and I made friendships that I believe will last a lifetime. I enjoyed the fun environment and the way they celebrated birthdays and successes. When I first started, I was truly amazed by the culture! When I realized that Switchgear was no longer the right fit for me, the management was extremely kind and gracious. I learned SO much about sales, recruiting, and Tulsa as a whole by being here. I am forever grateful to Switchgear for everything they taught me!

Cons

This job is extremely high stress. You are meeting with hiring managers, trying to negotiate contracts, trying to get jobs, set up interviews, and find the perfect candidate for the job. At any point in time, one of these things can change and you have to start all over. The base pay was pretty low and it can take several months before you actually start making commission, which can be frustrating. If you can handle stress well and are patient, you can definitely succeed at this job. While I loved working at Switchgear, I noticed that one person's personal drama can affect everyone. Several times this was brought to management's attention and unfortunately it seemed to kind of slowly chip away at the amazing culture that drew me to Switchgear in the first place. I am just trying to be honest and truly hope it has gotten better!

Advice to Management

While Switchgear prides itself on changing things pretty constantly, sometimes it can make expectations unclear. I think it might be beneficial to try something and stick with it for a while to see if it really works. Dixie was one of the number one reasons I wanted to work for Switchgear. She is an integral part of the business and I found her energy and passion contagious!

Jul 31, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the excellent advice!

After tripling in size in 2014, we had to bear the brunt of all the change that growth had delivered. In 2015, we standardized the activities needed to... More

"Overall strange working environement - bizzare behavior from the leadership"

I worked at Switchgear Search and Recruiting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location downtown near the courthouse where I could handle a lot of my personal business on company time which was so nice. So, they offer a lot of flexibility that's for sure and there is not a lot of oversight.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism and overall weirdness that you won't likely see anywhere else. I felt like I was in a nut house what ever that might feel like. Passive aggressive CEO or whatever she changes her title to from day to day followed by many acronyms to gloat.

Advice to Management

Seek mentorship as a leader and practice what you preach, but above all be honest and don't play games with people.

Jul 25, 2017 – CEO

It's interesting that we've had so many negative reviews in the last several years...we haven't had that many total employees during this time. We wish you the best in all your future endeavors, I'm... More

"BEST JOB EVER!!!"

I have been working at Switchgear Search and Recruiting full-time

Pros

Engaging and fun work environment with talented smart people who work hard. The company encourages us to be continuous learners by providing access to webinars; training sessions and an internal book club. Like to celebrate? We do too-birthdays, babies, weddings, Friday-anything is a good excuse for cake! At Switchgear, the sky is the limit. It really is up to each person to determine what their future will be, how much money they will make. Very transparent workplace, everyone knows where the company is who is in the lead (and yes it is a race every month). Everyone here is passionate about what we do and it shows. We are a strong family. I've worked for a few other companies and this is hands down the best company ever!

Cons

The office is pretty close to the bus station downtown and that makes for some interesting mornings. Yes, there are problems but the good news is the leadership team doesn't have their heads in the sand. Issues are addressed and dealt with quickly. So really not much to complain about.

Advice to Management

We grew up a lot in 2016-lets keep the momentum moving forward!

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO

Thank you, we really have grown up a lot! We had to transform from a scrappy little start-up to a grown-up company and that involves discipline and is a tough process. We've come far in the last... More

"Not the job i will want"

Current Employee - Estimation and Electrical Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Estimation and Electrical Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Switchgear Search and Recruiting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed Job, Nothing much to do

Cons

Nothing much to do and just sitting behind the laptop and doing estimation.

Oct 6, 2016 – CEO

Hi, this is an unusual post because we has not had an Estimation and Electrical Engineer working for us in the last 12 months. We are the only company named Switchgear in Tulsa (according to Google... More

"Extremely rewarding and FUN environment"

I have been working at Switchgear Search and Recruiting full-time

Pros

Taking the leap of faith that is always the biggest scare of any job transition, from comfort to the unknown, was very difficult but I can tell you my experience can be summarized in these words: Freedom to Innovate, Planning Experts, and Beautiful Execution on all aspects of the project at hand. I have grown more professionally after 3 months with this group of Recruiting Legends than I did in the entirety of my tenure with my last company. I find myself getting to work early, I have fun 8 hours a day, and go home feeling accomplished and great about what I have done in those hours. I find myself looking forward to Mondays (I know, that's SUCH a cliche that it even annoys me to write it, but it's true) and genuinely enjoy even the challenges we all face in recruiting because I know I have the support of a team that will help me find the solution. The meetings we have are (believe it or not) PRODUCTIVE MEETINGS. They start on time, end on time, and they get the issue at hand DONE which is exactly how this group operates with Candidates and Clients. If you want to be surrounded, and mentored, by Effective "Do-ers" - this is THE place to be. I love being able to meet with a client and know, if I promise you something- my team will back me on delivery because they DO what they SAY they will.

I have to add, it's so much FUN. I've worked places that I have enjoyed but here, the boss is probably the one planning the prank or shenanigan. We have monthly goals with team rewards that you actually want to attain and an office full of people you can't wait to go have fun with! It's amazing what you can do and become in an environment that challenges you to excel, gives you the tools, shows you how to use them (or a better way to use them) and then elevates your confidence and celebrates success with you. I LOVE my job and my team!!

Cons

No one will be sensitive to your coffee addiction... they WILL make light of your very serious affliction.

Advice to Management

Continue on your track, keep freely providing your wealth of knowledge to your teams to make them better as recruiters/biz developers, and keep working so hard to put the right people in the right places because, from where I sit, it looks pretty great.

Nov 10, 2015 – CEO

YESSS!!!
    I'm so very glad you love it, because I do too! We did a pivot, we made a lot of changes and there's more structure now. But we needed those changes to stay true to what's important to... More

"Bad Apples.."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Switchgear is a very exciting and fun environment. We celebrate together and we persevere together! They take a completely different view on recruiting than I have seen anywhere else and I think that's what has contributed so much to the success of Switchgear. The CEO absolutely cares about the success of the company, but more so for the employees. She knows how to admit when she is wrong which is why she is already the most respected boss I have ever worked with. She works on the floor with us and sets up one on one meetings every month to not only go over problems we are facing at work, but to also catch up on a personal level and make sure that we are doing okay. I've always said that it takes a lot for someone to go online and write a good review, but it doesn't take much for someone to go and write a bad review. Remember that when reading other comments. I absolutely love how well we have been doing since "trimming the fat" and getting rid of a few bad apples that just honestly were not team players. Everyone here is a family and we support each other. I've never felt so welcomed and loved by those that I have worked with!

Cons

I wish we weren't left with a bunch of yellow laffy taffys at the bottom of the candy jar :(

Nov 2, 2015 – CEO

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that! You completely made my day!!

Our one-on-one meetings have made a huge difference to me and to the company. We rush around all month to hit our goals... More

"Now that was an experience I'll never forget - WOW"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Switchgear Search and Recruiting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office with some flexibility as long as you were hitting your metrics. Free soda and candy if that's your thing.

Cons

The management/owner is mentally unstable and could not be trusted. I witnessed her make all sorts of promises then decide to go in a completely different direction. She would declare that she and her company are about integrity in everything they do - absolute farce! Please don't make the same mistake I did by falling for the modern office and the slick sales presentation to get you in the door.

Advice to Management

Try being honest with yourself and your employees. Also, realize that your decisions are not just affecting your bottom line, but the lives of those people you have hired.

Oct 27, 2015 – CEO

That's right! You get your work done, hit your metrics and you determine your schedule. Sounds like you learned a lot in your time with us. I hope you find something wonderful in your next... More

"The Place You Go For Your Soul To Die"

I worked at Switchgear Search and Recruiting full-time

Pros

I think everyone has written the same sentiment that office is very modern and nice and it's conveniently located downtown. Sadly that is the just of it....

Cons

Where do you even begin? During my time at Switchgear there was constant employee turnover, several hirings and firings, management couldn't pick a direction of where they wanted to take the company and as a result policies and procedures were being changed weekly. Seriously, we had to sign an updated Handbook at least once a month and we even got an updated organizational chart every other week and there's less than 8 employees. At one point everyone was scared that we weren't going to get paid because of the management's allocation of ridiculous amounts of money to go towards a well known motivational speaker/hypnotist membership. After that all recruiting tools were removed and monthly goals were made to be highly unattainable for the team. One could only guesstimate that was because the company was in reserve/panic mode. Most notable was the lack of professionalism. Employees that were no longer with the company were talked about in front of the staff during staff meetings and one-on-ones and not in flattering ways either. On several occasions clients and even candidates would talk derogatorily about profanities that were used in meetings/interviews by upper management and some recruiters. Lastly, I would say that everyone there is out for themselves. There is a fake "teamwork" mentality, but everyone of them would throw you under the bus to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Stop the madness.....

Oct 20, 2015 – CEO

It has been super clear that we have had employee turnover, and this review is a great indicator as to why. We hired people in the past who were not a culture fit and it created a lot of problems... More

"Here's the Honest Truth"

I worked at Switchgear Search and Recruiting full-time

Pros

As everyone said: beautiful office, convenient location, lots of energy.

What I loved about working at Switchgear was the freedom to really grow in my career. There is no one standing over your desk everyday telling you what to do (the COO came close to that and he is gone hallelujah).
    It's also, really, a fun environment. High stress-but that's part of the fun. You constantly have something to do-and that definitely takes the right type of person to enjoy that and to succeed. Half of these people writing reviews had no business working in this industry (just look at their grammar), and a few may have been fired by the old COO when he first started and felt that they were threats to his success.
    Overall, I can honestly say this was one of the most fun jobs I've ever had and I learned more in that year than I would have in most any other job. You not only learn about every single company in Tulsa, but you meet so many different people, establish so many new connections, and learn to truly network (which is a skill that will take you far in any job).
    The current staff is great, and really fun (they've weeded out most of the people that were causing problems earlier this year). The CEO had a phenomenal vision when she started this company and I would say her only fault is sometimes doubting herself and how strong she really is.
    Working for Switchgear can truly give you incredible tools for success that will stick with you for a lifetime if you can adapt to the busy lifestyle of a recruiter.

Cons

There are a lot of changes that take place at Switchgear-some are good and some definitely are not. If you really look at Switchgear's past though, it's apparent that they are not afraid to go back and fix their mistakes. Yeah, there are some scars along the way-but that's true of most companies when they are experiencing growth and shaping their culture.

I'm also gonna warn you all right now-there are strong personalities that work at Switchgear. It comes along with the territory of succeeding at cold calls and being a people person. If you are the type that think women should stay at home and be wives, or that they're just dramatic and love to make a big fuss out of nothing, GO HOME. You will not succeed here and it'll just hurt when these women continually win in sales and you end up jobless posting bitter reviews on Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

Don't doubt yourself and the original values of this company. I think you have what it takes to make it. Hire people who are smart and who ask questions. Those are the best sales people/recruiters and you guys will be unstoppable.

Sep 9, 2015 – CEO

Thank you. It's been a long four years, and we've learned lessons as a team the hard way.

We've made lots of mistakes and we are really, really blunt about what we've screwed up. I've given... More