Swope Rodante Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Dale Swope

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good Job, Good Experience, Great Rewards!"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Swope Rodante full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I just celebrated my 10 year anniversary at the firm and it speaks volumes to say I’m not the most senior employee there. I have learned so much working at SRPA that no school could have ever taught me. I participate in the handling and strategizing plans for very difficult cases. I am a part of every aspect of my cases. My opinions and work matters and is relied on. I happy to have a challenging job and work with such great people.

Cons

Yes every job has its ups and downs but with most problems there are solutions. Our vacation plan is rewarding although can be seen as strict but that is only to those who don’t structure their work and life; otherwise its manageable. Trial weeks can be long but I’m fortunate to be able to participate on the same level as the attorneys.

Advice to Management

Have more Legal Assistant team building events.

2. "Good work, stressful but rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Swope Rodante full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at the law Firm for more than 11 years. I am a female, with the same equal treatment. The work is rewarding since you have chance to lean from great lawyer. Benefits are great!

Cons

A lot of work during trail. You have to work and be perfectionist. Vacation and time off is hard during the first year.

Advice to Management

I would like more in house seminars

3. "Worst job ever. Work here if you want to be sexually harassed, humiliated, treated like trash or feel like you're dead."

I worked at Swope Rodante full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You may learn what it feels like to be a zombie. There's a small niche of employees that get exempt from the hurt. Maybe that's how one had the audacity to write a positive review about this place. Those who ignore the harassment and degrading treatment and suck up to their boss get rewarded.

Cons

If you have any dignity or self-worth or heart, you may be disappointed and crushed by this cold and callous environment. I've never seen so much stress, exhaustion and tears for a job that barely pays the employees that it works the hardest enough to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

Stop harassing your employees and getting duping delight off of their pain. Become builders, not destroyers of the human spirit. Just because employers may fear for losing their job in the first 90 days does not give you a free pass to harass every one you want to. One of these days, karma will come your way.

4. "Difficult and unfriendly environment"

Pros

Lawyers seem to really care about their clients (but they seem overworked and stressed out). Company pays for your insurance. They hire with zero experience. Free drinks in lunchroom.

Cons

They don't train you well after hiring you with no experience. The person in charge of training seems forced to do it and has no interest in new people's success. Head attorneys berate you in team emails if you make mistakes (after your "training" fails). I felt as soon as soon as the partner stopped liking me (and loudly talking about it with me sitting within earshot) the objective was to try to make me quit by making my life miserable every day. The people who have been there the longest seem like they learned from the top lawyers on how to treat employees which is not well. This is not an environment that you will learn and grow. Lawyers are antisocial and seem stressed out all the time.

Advice to Management

Get someone to train who is interested in the success of new employees. Try to be nicer to people if they make mistakes or ask questions. If you want someone gone then fire them don't verbally abuse them, ignore them and treat them poorly so they quit. I'm sure you notice how many people leave your company so either you do not care or do not know how to fix it. Your company will not be successful if you cannot figure it out.

5. "Extremely boring with antisocial employees"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Tampa, FL

I worked at Swope Rodante full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good looking building in the heart of Ybor City. Lots to do in your lunch break. Pretty good benefits. Gym located inside of building.

Cons

Extremely low pay rate. They offer way below the statistical earning rate of paralegals/legal assistants in Florida. Most of the employees are miserable and anti social. If your kind and uplifting, they will try to dim you down. Very dreary environment.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth. Get rid of employees that make the environment unpleasant. Don't hire attractive women just because your associates want to sleep with them.

6. "Swope Rodante Law"

Former Employee - Videographer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Videographer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Swope Rodante full-time

Pros

Employees are all good people,

Cons

Poor lacking leadership, no direction Owner believes he knows everything about all jobs.
    morale bad always looking over your back

Advice to Management

Hire managers who know what there doing and leave them alone.

7. "Inspiring Employers and Staff!"

Pros

I have worked for this company for two years now and I must say that the partners, attorneys and staff are extremely inspiring. The caliber of work performed here is groundbreaking and every employee works very hard to do their part to help the cause and the firm’s mission.

The expectations that this firm has for their employees is extremely high. But this is because their clients hold those same high expectations for our services. And I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

From working for this company my own standards of my work product has risen, which only furthers my professional success. Their "be the best you can be" attitude is nothing short of motivating and pushes everyone here to work hard for the betterment of the firm's clients.

Further than that, they make some really great investments in the well-being of their employees by providing us with fantastic benefits and wellness packages. Their healthcare policy is great. There are yoga instructors and massage therapists who come into the office weekly. There is even a gym within our office, with personal trainers available. They are always having firm events that allow all of the employees to really connect as a firm family, including many events that allow us to give back to our community and those in need.

Cons

Some overtime is mandatory, but I know that is very common with any law firm. They really do expect a lot from you, as I’ve said above. But meeting that challenge can have some really great rewards.

8. "Great place to work!"

Pros

I worked for Swope, Rodante a little over 3 years and would have stayed if not having to relocate. The benefits are awesome (on sight massages, yoga classes, and a gym). By far the most beautiful building I’ve ever worked in. Paid time off, great balance of work and personal life. Constant opportunity for development and growth for those who want it.

The people at Swope are smart and dedicated employees and literally become like family. Tons of company activities and charity work. This company really cares about the community they live in and giving back.

Cons

The hours can be long but totally worth it in the long run.

9. "Overall, a really great firm to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Swope Rodante full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First, the people are definitely a "Pro" - both the people that you work with and the clients that you work for. These attorneys work really long hours to help people that have been in really horrible accidents get the money that they're entitled to. No matter how early you get there or how late you leave, you can be sure that there is at least one attorney working earlier or later than any of the staff. There's a real expectation for excellence, too, and for someone like me, it drives me to be better and take pride in what I do.

There are also some great perks. A gym with personal trainer, yoga classes, a massage therapist available for appointments at a HUGE discount, car wash Fridays, firm-wide lunches, and social events that everyone is invited to participate in with their families. And in my experience, the firm takes care of those that work hard and are loyal. The years you put in pay off - and the people with the most experience are recognized for it. They pay for their employees' health insurance and dental insurance. And they really seem to care about the people that work for them. There are a lot of

And as far as the clients go, it's honestly inspiring to think about all the people this firm has helped. People who have suffered traumatic brain injuries, who are paralyzed for life, who have actually had their loved one killed because of someone else's negligence. And then when insurance companies wrongfully deny the claim, it adds insult to injury. Swope Rodante represents the injured person in some cases and the negligent person in others, but always against the insurance company that failed to do its job and protect its insured. It's easy to lose sight of that, sometimes - that we're helping people who can't help themselves and whose lives have been ruined through no fault of their own.

The other thing to know, if you are either considering a career as an attorney or a paralegal/legal assistant, is that this firm has an excellent reputation - and not just in the Tampa Bay area. The firm is known and respected state-wide, and by people on both sides of the aisle. So Swope Rodante is an excellent firm to associate with if you're lucky enough to have the opportunity!

Cons

The firm does expect a lot, both time-wise and performance-wise. The partners are a lot more flexible with time off than some other reviewers have said, and are willing to work with people who have family emergencies or illnesses that crop up. But the hours are long - that's no secret. Staff knows up front that they're expected to work 8 1/2 hour days, not 8-hour days. But at the same time, the firm pays its staff for every minute of overtime, and they warn people up front that they'll be working 42 1/2 hours per week before the person ever accepts the job.

Two thing people definitely share here - at least the people that stick around - are intelligence and a strong work ethic. This really isn't the place for you unless you're willing to dedicate your time and effort. There really isn't any room for slackers or the "What's in it for me?" attitude. Personally, though, that's something I really appreciate about working here.

One place I used to work at used to put people on "salary" to avoid paying overtime, but wouldn't complain if people "volunteered" to stay late or come in early. This firm doesn't play games like that - they play fair. They tell you what the deal is up front. And sure, they expect excellence in work product and they expect long hours in the office, but that's just part of the deal. I think the benefits of working at Swope Rodante far outweigh the long hours. But I do admit I'm a bit of a work-a-holic, so take that with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

I think we could probably do a better job of disseminating news and notices firm-wide. Also, I think the social events that the firm organizes, like the Thanksgiving potluck or the food-truck Fridays, are one of the things that really boost morale and help to keep everyone balanced - so I will always be in favor of more of those.

10. "Horrible job with employees walking around on eggshells."

I worked at Swope Rodante full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have free firm lunches. They also offer exercise classes for an additional cost, but if you can afford to take advantage of them they are good to de-stress.

Cons

They hire employees with no legal training under the premise that they will train them, but no one ever has time to train them, so they are in constant fear of losing their jobs. Instead of sick leave they have an archaic point system where points are subtracted if an employees doesn't know 48 hours in advance that they're going to be sick. Employees often come in sick leading illnesses to spread around the office like wildfire. Also, the salaries and opportunities are capped out at a rate that is extremely poor compared to similar firms, which adds to the already incredibly high turnover rate at the firm. Choose any place but here if you want a legal career.

Advice to Management

Treat staff with respect and human dignity. Create a culture where employees can feel free to give input to make the firm stronger instead of a culture of silence and fear.