Sybase Reviews | Glassdoor

Sybase Reviews

Updated May 1, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great Company and great technology (in 4 reviews)

• Great people and lots of opportunity for growth (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • After being acquired by SAP, many small offices were closed with little or no opportunity for transfer/ retraining on newer products (in 5 reviews)

• There is too much of micro management (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great people; great life balance"

Current Employee - I T Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - I T Project Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

People are passionate about their work, and cooperative (if asked nicely).

Cons

Too much east coast vs west coast. Senior executives a little out of touch with the business - too Wall St quarterly # focused which results in doing whats right for the short term, and not the long term.

2. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Dublin, CA

I worked at Sybase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

No time to do self-training

Advice to Management

Value your employees

3. "Work life balance is excellent."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Sybase full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best reason to work here is because of work life balance. Excellent colleagues and benefits are excellent

Cons

Salary not as great and career progression is very slow.

Advice to Management

Promotions and compensation needs to be looked into.

4. "Nice while it lasted"

Former Employee - Marketing in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dublin, CA

I worked at Sybase full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Had one of the best managers ever until she left company

Cons

Limited budgets, limited career advancement due to limited available projects

Advice to Management

Need to delegate more and not be afraid to make a decision

5. "Good benefits"

Former Employee - Staff Technical Writer in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Technical Writer in Dublin, CA

I worked at Sybase full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, interesting work, I had a great management team.

Cons

Hierarchical management style, okay work-life balance.

6. "Low stress work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Sybase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Low stress work environment. Opportunity to work with latest software technology. Good work/life balance.

Cons

No opportunity to improve yourself for your next move. You might get involved too much in Sybase products depending on projects, which may not be very helpful after you leave the company.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunity for employees to improve themselves.

"A big, successful company trying to figure out how to stay ahead"

Current Employee - Director, Engineering Technical in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Director, Engineering Technical in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Sybase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is probably too big for its own good, and in fact, it is currently trying to consolidate offices (and probably even businesses). Through acquisitions its picked up a lot of software products but is not sure how to coordiante them into a more unified soluition offering. But it understands it has this difficulty and is actively working to resolve it from the top down.

Cons

It seems to have not done well in unifying the corporate culture of its various acquisitions. For example, I became an SAP employee through its acquisition of Sybase, but for the 3 or 4 years following, I never felt like I left Sybase even though it was clear that the "core" of SAP operated in a completely different culture - that I think I would have prefered.

Advice to Management

Be honest about actions. For example, in the recent round of layoffs management claimed to be simplifying by eliminating redundant positions. However, it is obvious for those on the inside that this was not the case at all. "Simplifying" is not achieved by simply shutting down offices and eliminating the positions located there. It takes a little more effort than that to detemrine what is needed and what is not. Talent (which you say you want, which you had, but which you summarily dismissed) is not attracted by a company that behaves as if it thinks that talent is everywhere but within the company. It sends the message that "once we hire you, you are no longer talented and we will treat you that way".

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer II in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer II in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Sybase full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great technologies and learning experience, decent salaries and benefits

Cons

No upward career mobility, and get a sense that its staus quo for ever.

Advice to Management

reduce cronyism.

9. "Gaining experience while beating the competition."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sybase full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First, I opened the office for Sybase in Cincinnati, had several sales and was offered the district manager position, but turned it down because I was having too much fun and success in selling. Plus, I had two young sons and knew that traveling the entire Great Lakes as a Manager would take time from my job as a first time dad.
    I was asked to move to Cleveland to reopen that office, but first tasix months and spend it in Pittssburgh, a city we had had zero success in. In that time period, I sold Wetinghouse, Heinz, Consolidated Natural Gas, Smith Kline Beecham, U.S. Steel and Calgon. Oracle had a large office already in place there.
    I went on to reopen the Cleveland office and make a number of sales until six months after Oracle 7 came out and I was recruited by Oracle to come to work for them.

Cons

When Oracle came out with Version 7, it was labeled the Sybase killer because they finally added a number of capabilities that caught up and surpassed Sybase. Prior to this point, companies were building software to fit on top of the database, so they needed functionality to allow them to take advantage of that environment. After Oracle Veresion 7, application software could sit on top of Oracle, not Sybase. It was a complete game changer and I realized it was time to make a change. Sybase was never the same after that release and change in the industry.

Advice to Management

Oracle 7 came out in 1995. There is literally nothing that Sybase could do at this point to make a change that would correct the mistake they made by not opening up their database as Oracle did that gave them the permanent edge in the industry.
    My advice would be to learn from your mistakes and watch what is happening in the industry in the future so that if a change like this occurs again, you can take advantage of it.

10. "SW QA & Enterprise Database Systems"

Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Concord, NH

I worked at Sybase full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved working in and learning SW QA in the original small tight-knit group of OmniConnect in Concord, NH and even as we expanded and became part of the ASE team HQ'd in CA, Spent 14 years in SW QA here from the time I graduated college until the time I resigned. I got to learn not just SW QA, but multiple Enterprise Database Systems, from Sybase's own (ASE, ASA, IQ), but competitors as well (Oracle, DB2, MS SQL Server [which initially was created as a collaboration between Sybase and MicroSoft to port then Sybase SQL Server to the Windows platform]), I got to learn about database replication and got to help improve different Sybase products so that they worked and played well together.

Cons

in the later of my 14 years at Sybase the team kept being splintered by upper management for different projects and into different corporate divisions and therefore for the most-part the office I worked out of was just that - the office I worked out of - still the same physical location for the entirety of my 14 years, but at the end was working with a team/division HQ'd in a different state and not with anyone else in my physical office. Also people took a backseat to project needs. At the end I was getting so burnt out and had requested a transfer to a different group/project of which I had previously been a part, I was told that that group's function wasn't 'critical path'. I therefore tendered my resignation and they let 14 years of product and QA tools knowledge walk out the door. This was just prior to them being bought by SAP. Not sure how SAP management would have handled it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees - especially long-term employees on the verge of burn out -- don't let knowledge-base walk!