Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
John McAuliffe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Not full time, hourly pay is capped" (in 25 reviews)

• "Poverty wages, no benefits, you get paid to "tutor", but really, you're teaching classrooms full of kids with behavioral problems" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Excellent and satisfying work environment"

Current Employee - Tutor in Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Aiding troubled students and furthering a student's ability to succeed academically.
    - Providing S.T.E.M. fundamentals to engage students in the technical side of their education, while promoting innovation and creativity

Cons

To be honest, I could not think of any aspect that I would consider a con to being an employee for Sylvan Learning

2. "Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Director of Education
    Former Employee - Director of Education

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with kids, working for a small business (most Sylvans are franchised), corporate support

Cons

I found that the biggest hurdle was the large discrepancy between our product and what we asked parents to pay for it. My center charged nearly $50/hour for a program designed to help students with remedial work. The number of times I had to field unhappy customers who didn't realize that, at that price point, their child still wouldn't receive 1:1 attention, was astounding.

Sylvan sets up their directors to have to lie to the face of their customers. We were expected to doctor student test results in order to appease parents. We often had to come up with excuses why, at $50/hour, their child wasn't making the progress we had promised. As the face of the company, to these people who have invested sometimes thousands of dollars to help their kids, we took the most abuse when the miracle we promised just didn't deliver.

I am not disparaging the product - but it isn't the miracle we advertise, and Sylvan's aggressive marketing and approach didn't work in the lower-income area where I worked. Maybe if you can afford to send a child to tutoring three or four times a week, it might take. I was there for nearly five years and that was a real rarity.

More often than not, the kids who made significant progress at the minimally-recommended two hours per week were kids who weren't engaged at school, but understood the material well enough to do the activities that would get them prizes at the Sylvan Store.

There was also very little work/life balance, as a director. Between our two directors, we each worked 10-hour days, and on early nights I still wouldn't be home until almost 7:30pm. We were only allowed half-hour lunches, and expected to be on-call if something came up on the weekend or outside of scheduled hours. There was never any discussion of hiring another set of hands.

Advice to Management

Be realistic. Sylvan is supplemental, outside-of-school tutoring. Don't promise a miracle. Talk about results in a realistic way. Every kid is different -- we charged way, way too much to promise every parent that we'd succeed. The center I worked at did hefty refunds three or four times a year because of this.

3. "Burnt out quickly"

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time

Pros

The kids, families, and schools were amazing to work with

Cons

Too many asks from owners and not enough hands or hours to get anything done

4. "Tutor"

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Part time work in evenings to supplement my partial teaching contract. You really get to know the kids. NO lesson planning! Spiral curriculum helps kids master skills.

Cons

Prescribed and scripted. Can take some getting used to. Sometimes management isn't professional.

5. "Full time employee to help"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Share joys of seeing success with kids

Cons

Strange hours, expectations are tough to meet

6. "Although the work itself is rewarding, my Center's training, compensation, and management style outweighed its worth."

Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will have many opportunities to positively impact students who truly need your guidance and wisdom within a controlled and collaborative teaching environment. Also, I found my co-tutors friendly, inspiring, and highly competent in their craft.

Cons

Training in my experience was simply a one-time surface-level overview: "Here, do this...this...and this... you're good" and did not utilize Sylvan's robust online training courses nor followed up with any kind of enhanced development to further support staff pedagogy. Compensation from my experience was about one-fourth of an hourly charge to the client. Management style from my experience at the time would vary between laissez-faire, to reactive, fear-based, and assumed the negative about the activities of the staff. Also, as casually as a weather report, a member of the management team would offhandedly reassure me not to fear when they might yell at me sometime during my employment because they do that to all the staff now and then.

Advice to Management

My advice would be 1) Pay Tutors at least 50% of hourly charges to the client (since Sylvan's success is actually founded on the tutor's direct involvement with the clients, not simply the curriculum). 2) Take all the developmental knowledge, tools, and philosophy that is applied to the clients and also leverage it to progressively train and develop their own employees as they work (since we too are Learners and at varying stages of development within our craft and we too each learn in unique ways). 3) Become a Deliberately Developmental Organization as described in An Everyone Culture by the Harvard Business Review.
    4) Finally, reassess tutoring methods & curriculum in light of new findings in cognitive science (specifically Universal Design for Learning).

7. "Micromanaging at Sylvan Learning Centers is worse than ever!"

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Impact the lives of children by helping them grow academically.
    Perfect for people who prefer micromanaging
    Always hiring due to the turnover

Cons

Horrible work/life balance. Directors have a mandated 45 hour work week with no breaks, frequent public shaming, and toxic upper level management to deal with regularly.

Advice to Management

Coach directors toward excellence like you expect us to do with our teachers. If someone asks a lot of questions, try answering them instead of firing them.

8. "Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really care about students and their families! Such a rewarding career getting to change lives with a great team! Culture is huge, and the culture within our organization is hard to match.

Cons

The hours can be tough, but if you love what you do, you make it work!

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, interactions with children

Cons

travel to multiple sites

Advice to Management

Management was great

10. "Sylvan"

Former Employee - Tutor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Tutor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for three different owners and I loved the first two owners. They knew how to hire the right office staff and everyone knew of proper education practices.

Cons

Management/owners make or break the center. I loved working with Sylvan before the last owner took over. The current owner of the New Albany, Ohio center hired non-professionals to work in the office and they knew nothing about education and proper scheduling.