Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2020

3.6
Sylvan Learning Centers Chief Executive Officer John McAuliffe (no image)
John McAuliffe
Pros
  • "Flexible hours, fun to be around kids who are eager to learn(in 34 reviews)

• "Working with kids, families and helping them to grow educationally(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Only part time hours available for teaching(in 23 reviews)

• "Low pay no benefits training not paid until after you have worked there 6 months should be paid more per hour(in 18 reviews)

1. "Working in the Education field has many rewards."

5.0
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Management and employees were pleasant to work with and genuinely cared about each other and the children they were entrusted with.

Cons

The only down side was my inability to carry high school textbooks that were extremely large and heavy.

2. "Cleaning"

5.0
    Former Employee - Cleaning in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management, great coworkers, great mission

Cons

I can not think of any cons

3. "Organized, Easy Teaching Work"

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an organized set up. Almost all lessons are done on tablets, and there is little to no preparation for tutoring students. It would be great experience for someone who is interested in teaching or for a retired teacher.

Cons

The only con is pay isn't so great. Also, not really opportunities for a full-time job.

4. "Great Part Time Job"

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly Students, Easy to Teach Lesson Plans

Cons

Hours Varied, No Raise for Tutors, No Seniority

5. "Depends on franchise"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Providence, RI

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Good company that makes positive impact on students

Cons

Wages were low, employee growth is limited

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good hours, great staff, stress free environment

Cons

Wish they were open more

7. "Good job- lots to learn"

Former Employee - Center Director in Abilene, TX

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time

Pros

Learned a lot about sales, marketing and management. Getting to work with kids and positively change lives was rewarding

Cons

The pay was not as good as it could be, and autonomy was not really encouraged.

8. "Fulfilling but Financially Unsustainable"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Teaching is a wonderful experience. You work at a good hourly wage but you get few hours. You have to take what you can get

Cons

You just don't get enough hours and the 3 on 1 teaching can get stressful.

Continue reading
  9. "Good company, but dislike St. Paul center's sexual ethics"

1.0
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked at four Sylvan Learning Centers in three states across the United States and two in Ontario, Canada, between August 2014 and February 2019. My experiences with Sylvan have mostly been smooth and pleasant. Some of my fellow teachers and leaders I worked with have been great and supportive.

Cons

This review is concerning the St. Paul, Minnesota center, as my experience working there has left me traumatized. I strongly dislike how the franchisee of the St. Paul center handled the sexual harassment charges I leveled against two employees at that location. The first charge was brought up after I endured three separate incidents involving another employee during our regularly scheduled evening work sessions. The second sexual harassment charge involved a center leader, and it occurred DURING a meeting held to resolve the sexual harassment allegations raised against the first employee. Looking back to the incident, I still cringe when I think of the leader's actions, because from my perspective, it feels like I was preyed upon. I'm an actor, and shortly before the meeting, I sent the Sylvan leader an email about a suggestive tongue extension and unwanted touching of the buttocks and crotch that happened on a movie set. The Sylvan leader read this email, and to my horror, also seemed to stick her tongue out in a manner reminiscent of the filming harassment incident. I worked at this location from late 2018 to early 2019, and once as a substitute at the Woodbury location and disliked my experiences at both places, operated by the same franchisee. In my quest to seek justice, I contacted the franchisee directly to resolve this matter, but he had his lawyer send me a cease and desist letter, which stated that I was harassing the tutoring center. As an activist, if I witness blatant injustice with both eyes, no attorneys will be able to silence me, so I feel the need to warn others about this learning center. I recommend prospective employees, parents and students stay far away from this particular Sylvan center or the sister site.

10. "Fun place"

Current Employee - Tutor in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people Fun work Work Life Balance

Cons

Lower end pay since it is such a big company

Found 628 reviews